Elqueso: Zoloft tapering and updosing

Elqueso

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, but you will need to be more precise with the cutting of the tablets.  Another option would be to cross over to DIY liquid first and then cross over using the same combinations to prescription liquid.  I realise that is an extra step but I think it would be more accurate.

And you might find that you don't mind making your own solution so you won't need the prescription liquid.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 4 weeks later...

I've decided I will switch over to a DIY liquid solution first, then wait a week or two before starting on a liquid prescription from my doctor. It seems like the easiest way to control the tapering amount. Afterwards, I'll start the 10% reduction method you suggested.

Can you explain what to do with the white film that appears at the bottom of the glass when making your own liquid? I'm confused about this since I thought I would just be drinking the entire solution each time I take a dose, but others are talking about storing their liquid for a few days afterwards.

Also, does it matter how much water I am using to dissolve the tablets when I am switching to the DIY liquid? Should I try to use 50 mL of water with my 50 mg tablets?

Edited by Elqueso
Additional question

- Zoloft 100 mg for around 3 years (October 2013 - November 2016) / Diagnosed with GAD and Panic Disorder in 2013

- Tapered to 50 MG in 2017 after feeling like it no longer had much of an effect

- Started breaking pills in half around December 2017 or January 2018 for 25 mg doses

- Anxiety started returning very slightly in spring 2018

- July 2018 started reading up on AD withdrawals, which eventually led to a massive panic attack and upped my dose to 50 MG again

- Have been on 50 MG zoloft since July 22. Terrible anxiety and DP/DR. Can still sleep but experience bad anxiety in mornings.

- 0.25 MG of Xanax 1-2 times per day over the last two weeks (starting July 22nd). Stopping CT.

- Stabilizing on 50 MG of Zoloft

- Currently off of Xanax and stabilizing on 50MG of Zoloft

I'm also curious if I need to stay away from cannbis and alcohol while tapering. I've seen conflicting stories on this site where it helps some and hurts others.

- Zoloft 100 mg for around 3 years (October 2013 - November 2016) / Diagnosed with GAD and Panic Disorder in 2013

- Tapered to 50 MG in 2017 after feeling like it no longer had much of an effect

- Started breaking pills in half around December 2017 or January 2018 for 25 mg doses

- July 2018 started reading up on AD withdrawals, which eventually led to a massive panic attack and upped my dose to 50 MG again

- Have been on 50 MG zoloft since July 22. Terrible anxiety and DP/DR. Can still sleep but experience bad anxiety in mornings.

- 0.25 MG of Xanax 1-2 times per day over the last two weeks (starting July 22nd). Stopping CT.

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Elqueso said:

I'm also curious if I need to stay away from cannbis and alcohol while tapering. I've seen conflicting stories on this site where it helps some and hurts others.

Our nervous systems are very sensitized during tapering and withdrawal, and we advise you avoid cannabis and alcohol while tapering.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I've started crossing over to a DIY liquid zoloft solution by using the method suggested by Chessie. Should be fully switched over by the end of the week. Next monday I have an appointment with my primary care doctor and I plan on asking for a liquid prescription, although I am curious about just dissolving the tablets in water. Not sure which option is better.

I've made a lot of progress towards switching to the all liquid solution of zoloft. By Sunday I will be done with the transition. Yesterday I tried measuring out 50 ml of water to prepare for my eventual taper, and I was struck by how strong the taste of powder was. That's going to be tough to get used to, especially once I start dissolving the entire tablet.

I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to get the entire dose because of the trace amounts of powder that are sitting at the bottom. Will probably need to try the vodka trick to unstick it.

On another note, I've almost completely stopped drinking and smoking, which I thought would be impossible for me. It became a sort of coping mechanism for my withdrawals, so now I need to learn some healthier techniques for calming my nerves.

One thing I've also noticed is I'm feeling a bit spacey/disconnected since starting the transition to a liquid dose. I'm not sure if it is because of that or if being sober for the first time in months is having a bigger impact than I expected. Hopefully once I'm more acclimated to it the symptoms will go away.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been on a full water solution for about a week now. 50 ml of water feels like it isn't enough for me though because of how strong the taste is. Could someone help me with the tapering math for dissolving a 50 mg tablet in 100 ml of water?

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is still followibg this post can you help me with the tapering calculations for dissolving 50 mg tablets in 100 ml of water?

• Moderator Emeritus

Elqueso,

I’m sorry you didn’t get assistance with this before. What do you need help with specifically? 

If you dissolve a 50mg tablet in 100ml of water, then you need to take twice as many ml’s of DIY liquid as you intend to take in mg of the drug. 

For example of you intend to take a dose of 25mg then you would take 25 x 2 = 50ml of the DIY liquid. 

If you’re trying to work out the correct number of mg’s or ml’s to take when making a cut, then you can follow the method below.

Work out the percentage drop you are comfortable making. If you’re sensitive to changes in dose you may wish to reduce by 5% at a time. We recommend members reduce by a maximum of 10% at a time and hold after that for a minimum of 4 weeks.

Take away the percentage drop you wish to make from 100.

Example: 100 - 10 = 90

Multiply the current dose by the number above.

Example: 25mg x 90 = 2,250

Divide that by 100.

Example: 2,250 / 100 = 22.5mg

Example: 22.5mg x 2 = 45ml of DIY solution.

If you have more specific questions then please let me know.

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I can only provide information and make suggestions.

Thanks for the quick response. I've decided to start with a 10% reduction from 50 mg, so my initial dose will be 45 mg. If I'm using 100 ml of water as my solution, then removing 10 ml should give me a 45 mg dose. I tried using 50 ml but the taste was too strong.

• Moderator Emeritus

Elqueso,

That’s correct, to take 45mg you will need to take 90ml of DIY liquid assuming it is 50mg per 100ml. 

The next 10% drop would mean you need:

(45mg x 90) / 100 = 40.5mg = 81ml

Hope that helps and best of luck with your taper. 

Edited by eymen23

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I can only provide information and make suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently on week 2 of my taper using a DIY water solution to take 45 mg of zoloft. Haven't had any issues so far, but I think once I start my next 10% reduction down to 40.5 mg I will have to use an oral syringe along with my digital scale since it only measures whole milliliters. I'm just happy I have started making progress towards recovery even if it is slow going.

• 4 months later...

Currently on my 3rd round of tapering. Normally I would have gone down another 10 percent, but I held off sonce I wasn't feeling great. I've just recently stopped drinking and smoking completely, which was pretty hard for me since it was such a common thing for me to do. It was definitely stalling my progress, but I'm starting to feel more like myself now. I will most likely taper again in a week or so.

• 2 weeks later...

I started using the tapering excel spreadsheet to calculate my doses, and I'm not sure how I will measure my DIY liquid solution once the dosages get down to around 1 mg or less since my current scale doesn't show decimal places. Is there another scale you can recommend for that situation?

• 1 year later...

Not sure if anyone is still following this topic, but I'm currently at roughly a 33 mg dose of DIY liquid solution for zoloft, and could use some help calculating my next 10% reduction for tapering. If I calculated correctly, my next dosage should be 29.7 mg, which I plan on rounding up to 30 mg for ease of measurement on my digital scale. Since I am dissolving my 50 mg tablets in 100 ml of water, that would mean I need to drink 60 ml of DIY solution, down from my current 66 ml. Can someone double check this and see if this sounds right?

• Moderator Emeritus

If you are currently taking 33mg Zoloft then you could use 2 x 50mg tablets in 100mL water (1:1 ratio or 1mg Zoloft in 1mL liquid) which would make 3 doses of 33mg, taking 33mL of liquid.  You would not need to weigh anything.

To calculate a 10% reduction of 33mg:  33mg x 0.9 = 29.7mg

If you wish to round the amount to make it easier to measure, round up so that the reduction is less than 10% not more.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

You can always use more water to make measuring your dose easier if you don't have small syringes.

2 x 50mg tablets in 1000mL/1 liter of water

1 : 10 ratio

Each 1mL of liquid will contain 0.1mg Zoloft

For a 33mg dose you would take 330mL liquid

• 1 year later...

Going to be talking to a psychiatrist about my medication soon. I've been struggling with social anxiety for several years, and I'm fairly certain it's the main culprit behind my depression. I'm not really sure if I should keep trying to taper off zoloft completely, or try a different medication. It may be a situation where I'm better off with some form of antidepressant to manage my anxiety. Do you have any advice?

I've also noticed that I've been having uncontrolled head movements from time to time. They seem to happen more often when I'm stressed or anxious. Not sure if I should still keep tapering or just stick with the 33 MG dose of liquid solution for now.

Going to stick with the 33 mg liquid dose for now. Not sure if I will keep tapering since my anxiety has been higher over the past several months. I've even considered updosing a bit, but I don't know if that's the right move. Maybe I'm one of those people who are better off on an AD.

I also have an appointment with a psychiatrist at the end of the month to talk about medication options. May or may not follow his advice since the last time I talked to him he just suggested a different medication instead of talking to me about weaning off zoloft.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to start my tapering schedule again. I feel like I'm stable enough at this point to keep moving forward. Hopefully when I talk to the psychiatrist in a few days he'll be able to offer some guidance on tapering, but I doubt it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Please be careful about how and what you say to the psychiatrist.  It is important to be able to get your prescriptions for the duration of your taper.  We have SA members whose doctors have stopped prescribing and they've either had to find a new doctor or done a very fast taper.  Some SA members do not inform their medical professional that they are tapering.

There is plenty of information and support here on SA.  It's because most of the medical profession don't know how to get patients off their drugs that sites like SA exist.

The important things are to taper by 10% or less of the current dose and hold for at least 4 weeks.  And not to reduce again unless you are stable; listen to your body/symptoms.  And it's important to hold on a dose for longer if you are sick or experience additional stress; it's a good idea to not make a reduction if you are going on holidays.  Some members hold over the Christmas / New Year period and wait until life gets back to more normal.  Some hold over the winter and only taper during the seasons with more sunshine and being warmer.

Good luck.  It is possible to get of psychiatric drugs.  I was taking an AD for 25+ years and have now been off for almost 1 year after a 6 year taper.  It seemed like forever and at times I became impatient, but the members here encouraged me and helped me to stick to "plan".  And it was worth doing it slowly.  Who knows?  I might have been able to get off quicker but I wasn't going to take the risk.  I have seen too many SA members try to go too quickly and ended up taking longer to get off their drug.  Every reduction you make is reducing the drug and heading in the direction of getting you off.

Just started my next step of the taper down to 30 MG from 33 MG. No real changes in my mood or anxiety levels so far. Can anyone recommend a digital scale that useful for a liquid zoloft taper? I've been using a digital kitchen scale for a while and it works well for now, but I think it'll be less useful once I get down to much smaller doses.

• Moderator Emeritus

Many members use the Gemini 20 scale or a similar one.

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

• 1 month later...

I took a look at the gemini 20 scale, and it seems like it won't work for my DIY liquid solution. It's mainly designed for powders and pills. Can I still measure a liquid solution with it using a small cup or something?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2022 at 6:47 PM, Elqueso said:

I took a look at the gemini 20 scale, and it seems like it won't work for my DIY liquid solution. It's mainly designed for powders and pills. Can I still measure a liquid solution with it using a small cup or something?

Does anyone know if this scale can be used for tapering with a DIY liquid solution? It doesn't seem like I can measure liquid easily with it.

Been struggling with depression a lot recently. I'm talking to a therapist, which helps, but it's still difficult to deal with. I think it's partially due to the sertraline, but mostly a result of having social anxiety for so long. I want to make my next dose reduction, but I'm also worried it could affect my depression.

Should I start a new thread for additional questions or keep using this one?

Could use some help if anyone is still watching this thread.

• Mentor

@Elqueso Hi Elqueso,

In answer to your post, the mods prefer that you ask all questions on the same thread so that everything pertaining to you is kept in one place, except if it is a question about your Xanax, then that should go on your Xanax thread. It does however look like you are done with the Xanax.

The scale you mentioned is for dry pills, it is not for liquid.

I am a Zoloft survivor, I made it off. It was a difficult taper for me until I learned what was the best speed for my body, then it got easier. I want to offer my best wishes to you as you taper.

Edited by RachelSusan
typo

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

• 3 weeks later...

@RachelSusan Hi, thanks for your response. What's a better scale for measuring very small amounts of a liquid solution? I'm still a ways off from needing it, but I want to be as prepared as possible.

• Mentor

@Elqueso I do understand you wanting to be prepared. It is a smart thing to do. I don't know if you plan to make your own liquid or if you will be getting a prescription for liquid. If you get a prescription you will use a syringe (without a needle) to measure your dose.  Sometimes the liquid will come with a syringe (mine did) but the syringe was way to big for my needs so I had to order one off of Amazon. I ordered something like the ones in the links below. I suggest you not order anything though until you either get your liquid or decide if you are making your own, and figure out your formula.  You can then decide what you need in size of syringe or if you need one at all.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZ80YOV/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_10?smid=A1UJDQHYNCE0BK&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N01TO2O/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_9?smid=ALANI0DM8AOYG&th=1

When I got to the very low doses and the syringe did not have a marking small enough so I added more water and figured out a new formula. I then could use that new formula in my syringe.

If you are going to make your own liquid below is a link to what this site suggests we do. I never made my own liquid so I am not knowledgeable on that issue. I have read here on SA comments from people that add so much water they think in terms of drinking ounces and some that make the amount of liquid added so small that they too need a syringe.  I haven't reviewed the entire link I am giving you, I just looked at the first entry, however if it you would be making your own liquid I suggest you review the entire thread to see what everyone else has to say.

Also this site recommends that you slowly crossover from the pill to the liquid. Below is a link for that.

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

• 7 months later...

Hi @RachelSusan, thanks for your reply. I'm actually using my own liquid solution for sertraline right now, but I'm still taking the equivalent of around 27 mg in liquid form. I guess I could use some help figuring out a new formula for when I get down to less than 1 mg or so.

I've also developed some jerking head movements over the past several months that seem to come out of nowhere, and I'm pretty concerned about that. Should I keep tapering or stop?

• Mentor

Hi @Elqueso It sounds like you are doing fairly well except for the head movements.  Sadly I can't answer your questions about the head movements nor offer you advise on figuring out a new formula.  It looks like eyeman23, Gridley and Shep had been advising you.  Perhaps you might want to reach out to them for additional advice, especially about formulas.  It looked eyeman23 was the person that gave you your last formula. They are all excellent and could give you much better help than I could.

Warm wishes,

Rachel

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER