Terry

Husband getting off sporadic Prozac and Valium

Terry

Raphael's Intro topic

raphael-when-to-start-valium-taper

I'm writing this for my husband.  He had emergency surgery in February and a couple of follow-up surgeries/anesthesias.  He was hospitalized a total of 4 weeks and spent about 10 days in transitional care.  He has OCD (the obsessive type) and experienced much anxiety while hospitalized and to the present day.  He had a prescription for valium for his OCD, which he took only rarely until this situation arose.  Since he left the hospital he has taken valium sometimes every day, sometimes every few days, or even up to 13 days.  His primary care doctor gave him a prescription for Prozac which he took for 10 days and then stopped because of bad side effects.  He doesn't know now which way to turn to relieve this awful anxiety and I thought maybe someone on this forum could offer suggestions.  

He saw a psychologist who believes he has medical PTSD, and thinks he should see a psychiatrist who will prescribe medication.  Because I have seen what these kinds of meds do to the brain I'm trying to convince him not to start any new psych meds.  However, when the anxiety gets too bad he turns to valium, and I'm afraid he either is now dependant or will become dependant on it.  He doesn't know which way to turn for help and I'm hoping someone here will be able to offer advice.

Edited by ChessieCat

Altostrata

Hello, Terry. Is your husband able to participate here himself? That would be best, because we'll need to ask him questions.

21 minutes ago, Terry said:

He doesn't know now which way to turn to relieve this awful anxiety

We need to know more about this anxiety. Is it his regular anxiety or does it come in waves? What is his daily symptom pattern? Please ask him to keep daily notes on paper about his symptoms, when he takes drugs, and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

If he does have health anxiety, has he ever had Cognitive Behavior Therapy for it? CBT can be quite effective.

Terry

I had him start a journal back when he first got out of the hospital, writing what meds he took and what symptoms he was experiencing. That would be nearly 4 months worth of notes, so I doubt you would want that much data.  He is reluctant to go on this forum himself and would rather I do it for him.  He seems to dislike anything new on the computer, but I will try to convince him to join.

Terry

Okay, so now he has joined SA.  But so far he hasn't had any responses.  I'm wondering if his info is in the right place.

Terry
On 8/1/2018 at 4:30 PM, Altostrata said:

We need to know more about this anxiety. Is it his regular anxiety or does it come in waves? What is his daily symptom pattern? Please ask him to keep daily notes on paper about his symptoms, when he takes drugs, and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

Now he has joined SA.  But so far he hasn't had any responses.  I'm wondering if his info is in the right place.

Altostrata

What is your husband's screen name?

Terry

Raphael

Altostrata

Raphael's topic is here