TreeElf

Should I engage in therapy during withdrawal?

TreeElf

Hi guys,

As I explained in my intro topic, I'm currently stabilizing on 5mg Prozac. While I'm thankfully not in the state I was a couple of months ago, I still have extremely difficult days/moments. My moods and mental state change so rapidly. I have days where I'm almost 'high', hopeful, optimistic, even peaceful, and then that can change to abject terror and despair within minutes.

I began a 'process' of introspection, if I can put it that way, before I began tapering off medications. Like many, I had no idea withdrawal could be like this and always assumed I was severely mentally ill underneath, after attempting to come off in the past. My general instinct would be that the deep mental traumas should perhaps be looked at when someone is stable, but it feels like I started a process and once it's started it can't exactly be stopped. Like Pandora's Box - I did heaps of meditation, retreats, etc and began to uncover all my deluded mindsets, unresolved fears, tendencies etc etc. Now all of this is amplified times a million due to being in withdrawal. Some days, when I have a severe episode, I get really afraid that if I don't get some form of outside help I could mentally go to a very dangerous place. Although this could be magnified due to fear and my OCD.

I was recommended a mentor who does sessions via Skype. She seems to have the approach I'm looking for - integrative, acknowledging the issues as a holistic whole, emotionally, mentally and 'spiritually' (she has a Buddhist background and is an energy healer and counselor). I had a skype consultation with her and she was lovely. My only concerns are a) I have trouble making decisions now due to how obsessive and racing my mind is, constantly doubting everything, and b) it's going to be £350 a month for 6 months. This is a lot of money, I don't currently work and the only reason I have a few savings is because I received a backpay recently. I was going to save this to travel when I'm better, but am unsure whether I want to spend my savings on a therapy if it's not really going to be worth it.

Of course no one can tell me what I should do. But I was wondering if anyone was receiving therapy during withdrawal and how much they thought it helped? I tend to avoid most psychiatrists etc as I need someone who understands that my issues are part of a whole system, not just the OCD, not just depression, or on the other end of the scale, not 'just' a spiritual/energetic problem. I need someone somewhere in the middle. It's just a lot of money and I don't know if my hesitancy is part of my symptoms or my intuition (I have lost trust in that since coming off meds).

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Elqueso

Hi Abby,

I also am stabilizing on an AD after going through a couple of hellish weeks. I was depressed before this started, and now it has been amplified beyond what I though possible. Therapy is my next step, and I think you should try it too. It's better than taking more medication.

TreeElf

Thanks for your reply Elqueso. I do think therapy would be helpful, I was just reluctant to spend all my savings on this particular one when I may not get the full benefits. Or when I could find someone cheaper. I've decided for now to wait until I feel more sure it's the right time and the right therapist. I'm relatively ok most days so there's no rush at the moment

carefulprayerful

Therapy during withdrawal?

Good morning.  Has anyone had old trauma stuff come up during WD and started therapy?  I want to deal with my issues, but I don't want to overwhelm my CNS.  

Edited by manymoretodays
merged to pre existing topic, title added

manymoretodays

Hi carefulprayerful, @carefulprayerful

merged similar topics.

I've had some stuff come up during withdrawal to deal with.

Luckily I had established a good relationship with a therapist, LCSW, prior to more acute WD.

And so, for me, it's worked out well. 

She knows me well now, and accepts completely my going off medications, which helps.....a lot.

I think it can definitely depend on having a good fit with a therapist.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
added an @ notification for member

carefulprayerful

Thank you so much @manymoretodays.  I think it would be better for me to tackle some issues before I am fully off the Rx.  I want to do EMDR, which is not covered by my network, but if I am willing to spend on her, I think I have found someone good.  Wishing you healing, peace and happiness, CarefulP