SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Idlehnds: started Lexapro 15mg down to 1.80mg

Idlehnds

Hello everyone!

I have been lurking on here for about 2 years just viewing everything and learning as much as possible.  Here is my story and introduction!

I was put on Lexapro about 1 1/2 years ago when I suddenly hit depression.  I had super anxiety before depression but I didnt understand it.  I had all these physical symptoms from stress (new job, new house, new wife, had two kids) such as digestive issues, brain fog, etc. etc. so I thought I was dying!  I thought I had MS, Cancer, etc.. and I would google all the symptoms.  I got in a vicious cycle of fear and worry that I could not get out of and then I hit depression.  I really feel that it really started when I was put on antibiotics for a month because of a prostate issue I had.  From there I stopped sleeping and was having panic attacks, anxiety, you name it I had it.

So my doc put me on Lexapro 15mg and after about 2-3  months things went back to the way it was.  I stopped caring and worrying and all my symptoms disapeared (for the most part) but I was able to deal with them better.  About 1 year after being on Lexapro it was time to taper off.  So about 4 months ago I have gone from 15mg to 1.80mg.  

15mg to 10mg was a breeze.  No withdrawals at all

10mg to 7.5mg was easy too.  No withdrawals.

7.5mg to 5mg was also easy.  Slight anxiety but really nothing big.

5mg to 3.75mg was also easy.  Same which I got slight anxiety.

3.75mg to 2.5mg was harder.  I felt I kept abusing marijuana and alcohol at this time.  Anxiety and issues started slowly coming back, then I hit a good window for three weeks.

2.5mg to 1.25mg was hard.  Weird physical symptoms came and I talked to my doc and he put me on the liquid version and wanted me to go back up to 2mg.

I was on that for about a month and was continuing drinking and smoking marijuana but about a few week ago I just stopped.  It was taking a toll on me and I when I smoked marijuana on lexapro I had no anxiety, but now when coming off it seems like it intensified withdrawals x 5.

At the beginning of this week I went down to 1.80mg because something inside told me it was time.   I was taking this b-complex and it was helping a little but I starting taking two a day and all my symptoms of withdrawals completely went non-existent.  Not sure If I can share brand names so I wont unless someone allows me, but its not synthetic b-complex but made from holy basil, lemons, etc.  It just has worked so well.

Supplement stack now-

Betain HCL - For digestion

Acacia Gum- Prebiotic

Cod liver oil - Omega 3's

2x B complex's

Superfood Greens - Overall health

I am going to my naturpathic/integrative doctor in a week to get a full vitamin panel done.  Maybe its my hypochondria or my intuitions, but I want to get my vitamin levels checked to make sure I am not deficient to give my body the best possible healing it can have.  I just find it so weird that this b-complex completely changed me so fast.

I feel as if the years of stress has depleted my gut bacteria and vitamins and I am looking forward to getting things checked.

Thats my story and thanks for having me everyone! 

February 2017 started Ambien (Whatever the highest dose was) and Ativan 1.5mg

March 2017 started lexapro.  15mg  -Weaned off Ativan after about 2 months on it. 

Weaned off Ambien after 4 months on it every night.  Lexapro starting working and didn't need it.

April 2018 started reduced Lexapro.  15mg-12.5mg.

May 18' 10mg, June 18' 7.5mg, July 18' 5mg, August 18' 4.5mg, Sept 18' 4.0mg, Oct 18' 3.5mg, Nov 18' 3.0mg.

Jan 19' 2.5mg, February 19' 2.0mg, From here I went about .10mg drops at a time and sometimes more every 2 weeks depending on how I feel.  That was from February-August 20th 2019.

I got to .30mg and decided to jump off.  It was so small and decided I needed to face my fears.  I created nueral pathways in my brain that I was fearing withdrawal.

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

• ChessieCat changed the title to Idlehnds: Started Lexapro 15mg down to 1.80mg
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Idlehnds, welcome to SA.  Thank you for sharing your story. 

Unfortunately you have been tapring very fast, and using alcohol and marijuana to cope when you suffer withdrawal.  You need to hold for a few months to let your brain adjust to the low dose.  We do tell people to listen to their body, but you were ignoring yours when it told you it was struggling, and used alcohol and drugs to make it better. Similar to a child begging for sweets and soda!  I tapered too fast too, and ended up here in withdrawal after tapering for a year.  I wish I had followed the 10% of the current dose rule that we have, it would have saved a lot of suffering. No one wants to be on these drugs for so long, and want to get off as soon as possible, but being impatient usually leads to being on for much longer than a slow taper because withdrawal means having to reinstate and start again.  Often doctors reinstate patients with a dose that is far too high, then add other drugs to try and alleviate the side effects of the too high dose. 

Thank you for filling in your signature, it will be good if you update it for us with each of the cuts that you have mentioned.

Here are some links for you. 

Why taper 10%

What is withdrawal syndrome

Tapering lexapro

Many people find that fish oil and magnesium help when tapering or suffering withdrawal. They are the only supplements we universally recommend. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 fish oil

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank yoi so much mammap!  Yes the alcohol and marijuana was horrible on my part.   It just kinda got away from me and I didnt realize it.  I have been great the last 2-3 weeks with no substance abuse and so far my cut down to 1.80mg isnt that bad.  When i stopped smoking smoking marijuana all my mental symptoms went away.  Now I just have some physical symptoms i can handle.  I will hold at this dose for at least a month and go from there.   I am glad to be apart of the group.  Thank you!  

Also, I am going in a few weeks to get a spectracell micronutrient test done to test my vitamin levels in the cell.  I wonder if balancing my vitamins will assist in a smooth discontinuation.   I will report back all my journey and hopefully it will help someone.

March 2017 started lexapro.  15mg  -Weaned off Ativan after about 2 months on it. 

Weaned off Ambien after 4 months on it every night.  Lexapro starting working and didn't need it.

May 18' 10mg, June 18' 7.5mg, July 18' 5mg, August 18' 4.5mg, Sept 18' 4.0mg, Oct 18' 3.5mg, Nov 18' 3.0mg.

Jan 19' 2.5mg, February 19' 2.0mg, From here I went about .10mg drops at a time and sometimes more every 2 weeks depending on how I feel.  That was from February-August 20th 2019.

I got to .30mg and decided to jump off.  It was so small and decided I needed to face my fears.  I created nueral pathways in my brain that I was fearing withdrawal.

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, Idlehnds said:

Also, I am going in a few weeks to get a spectracell micronutrient test done to test my vitamin levels in the cell.

Be careful with tests and supplements, there are always people out there who will make a lot of money from the suffering of others by selling supplements that do nothing omore than create very expensive pee! There was a documentary here a few years ago and a journalist had several tests done under different names. They cost a fortune and all of them came back with different results from the same blood! 

Here is a topic that covers tests and supplements

Topics on tests and supplements

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

MammaP,

Thank you so much for the warning! Part of why I want to do this is from a member on this forum VitaminB.  This person discusses how the micro-nutrient test really helped her during this process and she was extremely deficient in a specific vitamin.

My doctor is a MD and a integrative doctor so she uses both western medicine and supplements to try and find the root of the problem.  Now shes not perfect but I feel she is WAY better then my primary care doctor I use to have.  He would give you a band aid for every remedy and send you on your way.

There is also a thread on here about how antidepressants deplete certain vitamins which  could cause more issues when coming off the antidepressants.   I know when I was withdrawing recently I took a B-complex food based that I wanted to try and it completely removed racing thoughts and did something that I have not had from a supplement ever.

I appreciate the warnings and the consensus of this forum and I will take it into consideration.  I have done a lot of research on here and I know to stay away from things like 5HTP and other supplements that I would just need to withdraw from again.  I feel instead of blindly trying supplements like I have in the past that going to my doctor and being tested for deficientices is much better to target what you need then what I read somewhere.

Thank you again MammaP for your guidance and everything you do to help people on here.  

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I have a hit a bad period.  I am waking up in the morning at like 4-5 and cannot get back to sleep which is causing anxiety and worry that my symptoms are coming back because I had these before going on lexapro.   RIght now I am down to 1.50mg lexapro.  Now should I just hold there for a long time or go back up to 1.80 and taper slowly.  I think I learned my lesson because this isnt good right now. :(

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

Hello Everyone, 

Hopefully this gets bumped and someone can help me.   I woke up at 1:30am last night and was unable to sleep until I took a melatonin and Benadryl.  Since one of the main symptoms I had before was insomnia, it coming back is very hard on me.  However I am in good spirits and definitely understand to go superslow and to stay put at my dose for a 2-3 months and start the process tapering better.  I wasnt having really an symptoms until now and it hit me.  My main question is I went back to 1.80mg of Lexapro last night.  Should I consider going up higher and trying over, or to just try and ride it out?

I had to take Melatonin and Bendryl to finally go to sleep at 4am after being away at 1:30am.    I did this before when I was at my worst and eventually I just stopped them over time as my body got used to the lexapro.

Thank you for all your help and I look forward to any feedback you can give me.  I now I messed up and I didnt understand the warnings because I felt it was so smooth the withdrawal up until this point.

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

• 2 weeks later...

Sleep is still wobbly.  For some reason I have been waking up every 2 hours and having to go the bathroom.  I want to know everyones feelings about the "old symptoms returning" thing.  I feel like alot of my old symptoms are returning but I am in a different mind-state now so I understand everything way better.  But all the muscle tension and irritability comes back and I have problems dealing with it.  

Do you think it is the old symptoms coming back (frequent urination, pelvic pain issues, anxiety, thoughts running through my head, muscle pain, exercise intolerance) which all seemed to go away on the drugs or I just didn't freak out about them.   Or is it withdrawals and I need to accept them and let it go and work with what I got?

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

Hi there, I just wanted to say hi & I am sorry to hear your going through a rough time. Lexapro is a powerful drug. I tapered Uber slow & still suffered. G.P has told a friend of mind recently that he was very reluctant to prescribe 5mg Lexapro as it's "addictive".  What has worked for me while tapering  1) talking to some one 2) crying regulates my brian & hugs 3) allowing  non functional days 4) acupuncture (sometimes works sometimes too strong make me feel worse) 5) energy healing modalities e.g reiki 6) distraction - forcing social interaction 7) massages 😎 therapy 9) at the moment chiropractic adjustments & therapeutic ultrasound work on my back muscles. Just reaching out to say you are not alone❤️

I've started taking antidepressants in 2001. I took Cipramil for 3 years. Elflexor for 1 year. Lexapro 10mg - 20mg since 1992 approximately.

STARTING DOSE 20mg Lexapro 2016

19mg Lexapro (3rd January 2016)-Taper 5%

18mg Lexapro (8th February 2O16)-Taper 5%

17mg Lexapro (? March 2016) - Taper 5% -

16mg (16th May 2016) Taper 5 %

17mg (21st August 2016) + 5%

16mg (3rd January 2017) - 5%

15mg (4th February 2017) -5

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

Hi Rose!  Your so sweet!  Thank you for responding to me.  I am getting  a massage once a week right now which is awesome.  I think the social distraction is good too because it really helps me not pay attention to my thoughts.  I have a tendency to listen to a song and it keeps playing in my head over and over and it drives me nuts that I dont have control.  I am trying my best to just accept it and let it go.  

What do you do when you get the good old "old symptoms coming back" kinda thoughts.  I try to think that this time is different which I do, but I wanted to see your thoughts.

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

I think alot of individuals  on this website are in self-survival mode in early recovery so peer support can be minimal. It certainly applied and applies to me most times.  I love really deep Thai massages....it depends where someone is on their healing journey one can be very sensitive at the beginning of the tappering process....I find  it amazing I can hold down a professional job it's like I have to put in a mask & when I come home I collapse with tiredness.Ruminating thoughts can be distressfull alright.I am unsure what you are asking in your last paragraph xx

I've started taking antidepressants in 2001. I took Cipramil for 3 years. Elflexor for 1 year. Lexapro 10mg - 20mg since 1992 approximately.

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

Hi Rose,

Yes, peer support is actually pretty good for me but I think one of the reasons I got into this mess was learning too much information such as going on the forums and reading about other peoples issues.  Its almost pyschosomatic for me, in which I think I am going to have the same problems also.  So my wife is skeptical for me to be on this site, but I have been SO MUCH Better at filtering through stuff.  Only time I go on here is when I look through the "finding meaning" board so I can learn about peoples coping skills as well as meditation and other avenues to explore.  Reading about peoples intense withdrawals and horror stories will do nothing but make my journey worse.  Its like these negative thoughts get stuck in the back of the your brain and eventually they come out to freak you out.  I am blessed to have a great supportive wife and I wish she would come on here to understand some of the processes but I cannot complain of her.  She is really something special and is there for me when I really need her.

You holding down a professional job and dealing with this is amazing, but it seems like you understand this process and are tapering super slow.  I found when I was at 15mg and went down I had no real issues until I got super low "below the 2mg" mark of Lexapro.

As far as my last paragraph goes, one of the reasons I started taking lexapro was because of the mind racing and not being able to sleep.  As well as being hyper sensitive to what goes on in my body.  It seems like all those old symptoms are coming back in waves and not sure if its a part of me and I need to accept or is it withdrawal?  My mindset is waaaayyy better and I dont freak out as much but it sometimes gets ahold of me and it takes a few days to bounce out of it.

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

I read alot about people saying they only got withdrawal symptoms when they reached whatever point ..I challenge this.I had the same reaction but I held for so long I felt symptoms early but at times less intensely as others. Plus I am only taking Lexapro while alot of others are tapering a few tablets. This is just my observation. To be honest as I am pregnant I am naturally tapping again so hard to know how I really feel. The increase in blood dilutes the concentrate of Lexapro.So while  take 15mg I'd say it has reduced to 10mg. When the baby is born I will take 10mg and see how my brain & body responds. I feel I will always struggle with depression which saddens me have thousands spend on therapies. You are blessed to have such a supportive partner.

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

Powerful grounding audio xx

14mg (6/02/18) -5%

7 hours ago, Rose9975 said:

I read alot about people saying they only got withdrawal symptoms when they reached whatever point ..I challenge this.I had the same reaction but I held for so long I felt symptoms early but at times less intensely as others. Plus I am only taking Lexapro while alot of others are tapering a few tablets. This is just my observation. To be honest as I am pregnant I am naturally tapping again so hard to know how I really feel. The increase in blood dilutes the concentrate of Lexapro.So while  take 15mg I'd say it has reduced to 10mg. When the baby is born I will take 10mg and see how my brain & body responds. I feel I will always struggle with depression which saddens me have thousands spend on therapies. You are blessed to have such a supportive partner.

I think I had withdrawals going down every step but they were so minor and short lived that it was no big deal.  I am only tapering lexapro too so I agree that some of there other symptoms might be masked by the other pills they are taking..

Congratz on being pregnant!  I have two little girls aged 7 and 4 and they are my life!  Its such a special time so please try and enjoy it.  I got caught up in my own issues and I never fully was present at times when I feel I should of been.  Ohh well that is the past and all we have the now.

Dont believe that you will always struggle with depression because that itself is the depression.  I have a tendency to always think this way too and somedays I feel like I can rule the world.  So just keep working at it and keep going.  I noticed you are into Chakra's and meditation.  Have you ever read a book called "the autobiography of a yogi"?  During this time I have really grown in my spirituality more then ever in my life.  This was the first book that lead to many other spirtual people including my own christian pasture at my church.  It really shows you that there is more then the mind and depression that you are something other then feelings, your body, your mind.  

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

Update:  Stable   

Took a little bit but now I feel great.  I made sure to run everyday, eat healthy, limit myself to only one glass of wine and thats it.   So far so good.  Also I stopped a b-complex I was taking that was honestly amazing at first but I think it gave me running thoughts and anxiety.  Not quite sure but I am not going back to it.  

I will drop at the end of October to 1.80mg.  Gonna take slow and easy.  

Blessings-

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Idlehnds said:

Also I stopped a b-complex I was taking that was honestly amazing at first but I think it gave me running thoughts and anxiety. 

hypersensitive-to-b-vitamin-or-b-vitamin-complex

Vitamin B6 can be activating.  It is better to take them individually.

vitamin-b6

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank ChessieCat.   Its been stopped.   So we will see how this journey goes.  Anybody have any success stories of people doing a slow taper and having really minimal issues?  Or is everyone on here that gives there horror stories because people went to fast in there taper?

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

• Moderator Emeritus

Check out Brassmonkey's thread.  He did a very slow taper of Paxil and, while he had some WD it was tolerable. 

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

21 hours ago, Gridley said:

Check out Brassmonkey's thread.  He did a very slow taper of Paxil and, while he had some WD it was tolerable. 

Are there any others?  I have read his along time ago where he does micro doses.  Or do people just taper off and are done with the site when they feel better?

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

• Moderator Emeritus

Many members, once they have tapered off and are doing fine, do tend to drift away from the site.  It's just human nature to move on, especially from a difficult time, though some do write success stories.  Please look at our forum, "Success Stories."  You can also check Aeroman's thread, which is a Lexapro success story.  Also Google "Surviving Antidepressants Lexapro success stories."  

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 1 month later...

Okay I have a update!  I want to share my whole journey and hopefully it will help someone eventually!

I have a integrative doctor that is a MD that I go to.  I had my normal blood tests done like I have for the past few years and it showed all my levels of vitamins were fine.  Except one item was high which was my homocysteine and I had extremely high serum folate levels.  The usual reason why this happens is because you are usually deficient in vitamin B12.  However, my normal blood tests were fine.  Serum was good and my MMA (test to measure b12) levels were fine.  So, I want to know what was going on because high homocysteine is usually caused by B6, B12 and folate.  I found out about a Spectracell test that measures vitamins in the white blood cell.  I also found out that there are various levels of B12 deficiency and it doesnt show up as low in the blood until you are in the later stages but you start getting all sorts of symptoms in the early stages.  So I took the test and all my levels of vitamins were mostly fine except...... B12!  I was also low but not deficient in all the Adrenal vitamins like B5 and vitamin C which makes sense since I stressed myself to hell during all these problems which could of been one of the reasons of all those panic attacks.

So B12 is heavily involved with the methylation cycle that revolves around processing neurotransmitters.  Now I think before we all fully heal from all of this I think we need to be operating in a good state of health and I hope my new vitamins and adjustments will allow me to give my best foot forward in healing.  Its possible that I had a B12 deficiency all along causing this anxiety and worry that put me on Lexapro in the firs time but I am not going to give it credit until I am healed or understand more.  I just wanted to update everyone on my journey.  I probably wont know for a long time but at least I can report the journey.

Blessings-

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

• Moderator Emeritus

SA's topic:  vitamin-b12-essential-for-mood-nervous-system

7 hours ago, Idlehnds said:

Its possible that I had a B12 deficiency all along

Alto mentions the possibly that she had undiagnosed B12 deficiency.  Video:  Alto Strata's Paxil Prolonged Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome (8 minutes)

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thanks ChessieCat!  I just watched the video and read through the forum.  Thanks!

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

• Moderator Emeritus

You're welcome.

My sister was diagnosed with B12 deficiency many years ago and has to have shots.  My mum did too later on in her life.  I've started taking sublingual B12 after reading about it here on SA.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi there! Just read through your thread. I find it really encouraging that you knew to take the taper slowly from the beginning and you had minimal issues until the last 2 mg or so. 

I'm also very intrigued about this integrative MD that you mentioned. How did you find her? I'd be interested in linking up with someone similar who can run tests like that to support full health while tapering. I'm located in the LA area if that happens to help.

Apr 2018: Began 10 mg Amitriptyline (for headaches & insomnia from concussion).

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

Hi @composter 

Thank you for reading about my journey!  My Dr's name is Dr Yen Lai in Glendora, California.  I like her because shes  a MD and a integrative doctor.  Where are you from?  There are integrative doctors all over the place, the key is to find a board certified MD one.   

She is a great doctor, but has some drawbacks you should be aware of.  Like any doctor you need to push some things, but shes good at checking for a lot of stuff that a normal doctor wouldn't.  Its still up to you do do your research before you take any supplements.

If you want more information about that specific doctor maybe we can talk via skype or a phone call and I can explain more to you.  At least I can tell you the things I learned and to steer you in the right direction.

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

• Administrator

Chessie, good to hear you're taking sublingual B12.

Idlehnds, if you're worried about methylation, I've found sublingual methylcobalamin tablets to be very effective -- the methyl type bypasses any metabolic roadblocks. I was hypersensitive to it at first but I ramped up by taking tiny tablet fragments. Now I'm up to 1000mcg at a time.

How's your sleep now? Did it settle down? How long did that take?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

HI @Altostrata  I just watched your video Chessiecat sent to me.  Thank you so much for all your hard work here.   You are a saint!

I have tried the Methyl B12 before with folate but I was sensitive to it.  It was also during the "throw supplements at problems before I knew I had a deficiency" phase of my life and was all over the place.  Its possible it lead to alot of anxiety and the nervous breakdown I had.  I am taking the Pure Encapsulations Adeno/Hydroxy B12 and seem to be tolerating it well.  My doctor didnt want me to go the Methyl B12 route because of the sensitive nature I had before.   I might switch at some point but we will see.  I also am borderline deficient in  B2 and B5 so going to start slow and one of those today.  I usually only use Thorne, Pure encapsulations and a few other because of the minimal fillers they have.

Nice job on getting up to 1000mcg.  Did you blood tests show the increase in B12 supplementation?  Also, how are you feeling now that you are taking that?

As far as the sleep it is much improved.  Now I sleep 8 hours a night no problem especially when I exercise.  I hurt my leg running so right now I am sideline but I am still sleeping pretty good.  I just dropped to 1.80mg and plan on keeping it slow..   The real key for me is waiting the 2 weeks after a drop.  If after 3 weeks for me and no anxiety or withdrawal I can drop again, but I dont get reactions to a drop right away.  It always take a few weeks to notice the withdrawals.

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

• Administrator

I'm not a saint.

Yes, after supplementation, blood tests showed my B12 levels to be more than adequate. I am taking 1000mcg only a couple of times a week now.

Hydroxycobalamin is good, too. If you want to save money, you'd probably do okay with something less fancy than Pure Encapsulations Adenosyl/Hydroxy B12 -- but there's nothing wrong with it.

I would add B vitamins only one at a time, and very gradually, working up from a fragment of a tablet or capsule.

Good to hear sleep has improved. Do you remember the process and how long it took?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you for your advice..  Doctor prescribed me like 50mg of b2 riboflavin-5-phosphate and 1000mg of b5 pathenine.  I started at 10mg and 250mg.  Gonna give it a month or two to see how it goes.

As far as sleep goes, it was fairly quick I remember.  I remember exercising like crazy to wear me out and I think after I stopped the b-vitamin complex and went back up to 2mg of lexapro it was super quick.  It only took a few days to get my sleep back.   The key I think was making me super exhausted.  I remember running farther then I usually did probably because I had alot of adrenaline running through my body.  Its almost like I needed to get it out of me.  Once I was exhausted I started to sleep better again.

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks @Idlehnds! I definitely appreciate the offer to speak with you further re: working with an integrative doctor. I will send you a private message so we can coordinate a time. Looks like you're doing really well in your tapering process!

Apr 2018: Began 10 mg Amitriptyline (for headaches & insomnia from concussion).

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

I am doing well with the tapering and supplements.  Except I have this muscle pain in my leg and I cant figure out what its from.  I have no anxiety or anything like this but this horrible pains.  I think I need to dig around and see if it has something to do with withdrawal or not.  Seems wierd that I developed it when going lowering on my dose at about 2mg.

We will see.

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

• Administrator

Hi, Idle.

The upset caused by drug dosage changes can cause symptoms such as muscle tightness. You might want to do stretching exercises, chiropractic treatment, or massage magnesium oil where it hurts.

You may have hit your "oh-oh" point Why taper? Paper demonstrates importance of gradual change in plasma concentration

You may wish to hold at 1.90mg for a couple of months, let your nervous system get used to the new dosage level.

2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

The upset caused by drug dosage changes can cause symptoms such as muscle tightness. You might want to do stretching exercises, chiropractic treatment, or massage magnesium oil where it hurts.

I have been doing this for about 3 months now.  Gone to PT, Active release therapy, acupuncture, and going to get a MRI because its just not going away.  Instead of just blindly trying to figure out the systems I want to see if its something else.

I did just go to 1.80 mg about 3 days ago which is a 5% cut.  However, the last 3-weeks to month I was in a good wave so I figure it was best to drop down.  I planned to be at 1.80mg by around the end of this month.   But I also started the B12 last friday and the B2 and B5 as well.  Hmmm.  I dont mind riding this out, I think the main issue is not knowing where it is coming from.  Is it withdrawals?  It is muscle tightness from withdrawals thats causing a herniated disk in back?

When you started dosing the B12 did you have a strong need for potassium? I have been reading up alot on how you need Potassium when you start taking B12 as you start healing.  I looked at my last blood test and I have a 3.7 in potassium which is on the low end but still in range.  Could it be I am low in potassium?

So many questions and nobody has the answers.  Only thing I like to do in this situation is pray :)  Whats your opinion @Altostrata?

Lexapro 0.0mg 8/20/2019

• Administrator

I don't know about taking potassium with B12, but taking potassium as well as magnesium can help muscle pain -- there can be a mineral sub-deficiency involved.

My guess is your muscle pain is from withdrawal. Withdrawal seeks out the places where you've got habitual stress.

Strongly recommend the magnesium oil rubbed on your legs, too. Or maybe Epsom salts soak, that's magnesium sulfate.

Do you have any reaction to the B vitamins?