SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

mononoke: PGAD possibly caused by Zoloft?

mononoke

Hiya, about 2 years ago I started taking 50mg Zoloft, I am thinking that my PGAD has been caused by this? I recently was put on Prozac 20mg and the symptoms still persist, its awful!! I am at a loss here on what to do, would slowly tapering myself off the prozac help? How exactly do you safely and accurately wean yourself off medication? 

I have also been prescribed propranolol 10mg twice a day, which I stopped taking a couple days ago because they made my heart racing symptoms worse 

Edited by mononoke
added medication
  • ChessieCat changed the title to mononoke: PGAD possibly caused by Zoloft?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mononoke, welcome to SA.    It depends if you are taking prozac AND zoloft, if you are taking both and have only recently started prozac in the last few days you may be able to just stop the prozac. If you take only prozac you will need to taper slowly.  We need more information, if you can answer some questions. 

When did you start prozac?  Do you take it with zoloft or did you switch from zoloft to prozac? Do you have any other symptoms besides PGAD? When did PGAD start?  Is propranolol for anxiety? When did that start? 

I apologise for all the questions but they are very important so that we can offer the best advice for you.  The drugs have many side effects and PGAD can be one of them.   If you tag me @mammaP I will be notified when you have replied, then we will have an idea of the best way forward for you and provide links to the topics that will help.   It will be good if you can put your drug and taper history in your signature, we ask all our members to do this. You can find instructions here  https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/18343-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/?do=getNewComment

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi @mammaPThank you for responding.

I am currently only taking Prozac, I switched from Zoloft to Prozac 2-3 months ago when my doctor prescribed it to me after I mentioned that the Zoloft wasn't working for my anxiety and depression anymore. 

The propranolol was prescribed to me at the same time as the Prozac (2-3 months ago) for the physical symptoms of my anxiety,  but I found it to only race my heart even more causing more anxiety. I forgot about having WD and stopped taking it on Sunday 5th Aug. 

The PGAD has always been an on ans off thing since I started taking Zoloft a couple years back. The symptoms that I am having atm is the PGAD, dizziness, shaking, head fogginess, loss of concentration, loss of appetite (coming back slowly) 

Also should add that over the years of taking my medications whether it be zoloft or Prozac, I've not been the best at taking it religiously. I would take it everyday but then some weeks I would fall off the bandwagon and forget to take them on some days. 

Please do ask more questions if you need more information. 

I shall do the signature now. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for the information. You will need to taper the prozac slowly. Skipping doses leads to interdose withdrawal, and would lead you to feel pretty awful. rotten. Have you been skipping or forgetting since switching to prozac? Was it a straight switch? 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

@mammaP It was a straight switch from the zoloft to the Prozac, which was a recommendation from my doctor. I have been missing a little since switching to Prozac, but trying my best to keep them up. What is the best way to taper? 

Also is there anything I can do about the current withdrawal I'm getting from stopping the propanolol? 

• Moderator Emeritus

What are the withdrawal symptoms that started from stopping propranolol? 

2002  effexor. 

@mammaP the withdrawal I listed in my previous comment is I'm assuming from stopping the propanolol cold turkey. Sorry I'm having a bit of trouble explaining it all. 

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, mononoke said:

The symptoms that I am having atm is the PGAD, dizziness, shaking, head fogginess, loss of concentration, loss of appetite (coming back slowly) 

Sorry I thought these symptoms were the side effects from zoloft/prozac.  You could reinstate propranolol but if they make your heart race even more you might be best to wait for the symptoms to settle down. It is hard to tell what is causing which symptoms because you stopped zoloft and started prozac and propranolol all at the same time. It would be hard to tell if it was propranolol or prozac causing the rapid heartbeat. Did the symptoms you told us about start after you quit propranolol, did the racing heart improve?   The best way to tell is by keeping a symptoms journal. Starting with how you feel when you wake up, before you take the drug/s and an hour after. Add to it through the day as symptoms change. If your symptoms are withdrawal, then you start to taper prozac, you could become very sick.   I am so sorry to ask all this, but I would hate to give you the wrong advice and make things worse for you.

2002  effexor. 

Have you reported your PGAD to Rxisk mononoke? They are collecting reports of PGAD and PSSD, to try and get the medical establishment to take it seriously. All reports are treated confidentially. Here is the link. Every case counts.

https://rxisk.org/report-a-drug-side-effect-2/

Last took an SSRI January 2009.

Last took a benzodiazepine May 2015.

Free from all prescription medication since May 2015.

Everything has mostly healed apart from PSSD which is still very bad, and is my most distressing symptom. Also i have developed some allergy problems/ sensitivities to things in the environment which i believe was possibly caused by the prescription medications (SSRI's and benzos).