SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

grammajan1950: Tapering Paxil - starting Effexor

grammajan1950

I have been on Paxil for several years (with a history of Celexa & Zoloft prior to this).

• My psychiatrist wants me to switch from from Paxil (10mg) to Effexor.
  • I normally take 5mg of Paxil at 8 a.m. and 5mg at night (seems to help my stomach upset). I know it's considered a small dose, but I'm highly sensitive to all medications. 
  • He stated the transition would take 'several months" - however, he told me to replace my night time 5mg Paxil with 5mg of Effexor the first day (for a month).
  • I was too wary of the Paxil side effects so I took 2.5 Paxil & 2.5 Effexor instead. After 3 days I'm having bizzaar dreams, headaches and feeling woozy. 

Question: Mixing the two drugs can't be easy on my brain. Is there an easier way to taper one and add the other? At this point I'd rather just taper the Paxil w/o the Effexor and be AD free ... 

• ChessieCat changed the title to grammajan1950: Tapering Paxil - starting Effexor
  • Moderator Emeritus
23 hours ago, grammajan1950 said:

I have been on Paxil for several years (with a history of Celexa & Zoloft prior to this).

• My psychiatrist wants me to switch from from Paxil (10mg) to Effexor.
  • He stated the transition would take 'several months" - however, he told me to replace my night time 5mg Paxil with 5mg of Effexor the first day (for a month).
  • so I took 2.5 Paxil & 2.5 Effexor instead. After 3 days I'm having bizzaar dreams, headaches and feeling woozy. 

Hello and welcome to SA. 

It is no wonder you're having these symptoms, as going from 5mg to 2.5 mg is a 50% cut. 

It is correct that changing properly would take at least several months--in which case I'm not sure why he is having you do such a drastic cut.

Generally, this is a site for people who want help coming off their SSRIs (or related drugs). This is of course a highly individual decision, and we don't attempt to make this decision for people. However, please know that we will not be able to support drug-switching (simply coming off one SSRI to start another one). Your doctor would be the person to monitor and support that. 

In case you are interested in learning about a more gentle approach you might want to share with your doctor, here is our thread on 10% reduction: 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

I hope you are able to make a decision that works best for you. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/6/2018 at 12:41 PM, grammajan1950 said:

Question: Mixing the two drugs can't be easy on my brain. Is there an easier way to taper one and add the other? At this point I'd rather just taper the Paxil w/o the Effexor and be AD free ... 

Hi again,

Sorry--I now see (another moderator kindly pointed it out to me) that you're wanting to taper the Paxil and be AD-free. That we can definitely help you with! 

Please let us know a bit more about your situation by creating a drug signature using these instructions: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/18343-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/?do=getNewComment

The good news is that since you haven't come off yet, you can become informed about how to safely taper, and do so as gently as possible. It can be done! Many of the problems people have are from coming off too fast (like your doctor had you do), which can be avoided or minimized if you're well-informed before starting.

A good place to begin is Altostrata's post on the first page of this thread:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/405-tips-for-tapering-off-paxil-paroxetine/

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa