Britt84: Don't take Celexa for depression/anxiety

Britt84

I am coming off that evil drug and have never been so sick in my life. This is so hard and If experienced every symptom flu like symptoms,brain shivers! diahrea, sad, angry etc. Its not even a narcotic. so why??????

• ChessieCat changed the title to Britt84: Don't take Celexa for depression/anxiety
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Britt, welcome to SA. Sadly  SSRI's are HARDER to quit than heroin! The withdrawals are horrific and can last for a very long time.  Are you still tapering? If you are it would be best for you to go back up in dose to ease the withdrawals. You don't have to go back to the full dose. Can you tell us when you started celexa and when you started to taper it?  What dose are you taking now?  The best way to taper is very very slowly to avoid withdrawal like you are experiencing now. Sadly doctors think it is a walk in the park and over in a week or 2!   

It will help us to help you if you can provide the information and put it into your signature for us. You can find how to do that and what we need here. 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/18343-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/?do=getNewComment

When we have that information we will be able to help you with doses and tapering advice. 

Edited by mammaP

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

No, I just quit without tapering. Today is day 7. I have bought magnesium vitamins, rose petals for tea, and lavender to smell. I thought my world was ending but am a little better each day. I'm trying the hardest to get rid of the anger! I have a two year old to raise for god sake!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Britt,

Welcome from me too. 

I just moved your post back here from the signature topic.  The signature is the information that you see below each members post.

Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations particularly those from the last 12 - 24 months?

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Here at surviving antidepressants we recommend a harm free, very gradual 10% reduction of your medication.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage

Tapering Celexa

Getting off Celexa can be hard going.  Irritability and anger feelings are a fairly common withdrawal symptoms and quite normal.

What is withdrawal syndrome

Since you have been off Celexa for just a week you might want to consider a reinstatement. Do you have any Celexa left?  What we mean by reinstatement is a very small amount of your Celexa, nothing like the doses I expect you had been taking.  about reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal syndrome

Hoping you can get your signature done, that will help us quite a bit in helping you and allows others to see your history at a glance.

This is your introduction page where you introduce yourself to the group, ask questions regarding your specific situation, and can track your progress over time.  You may want to bookmark it for easy access.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing