Jewlz

Telling someone you're on psych meds

Jewlz

I've recently reconnected with a friend from 30+ years ago. We have been spending time together once a week and we are moving foward, seeing each other more frequently. At some point I will want to share my story with them about my psych meds. When and how is the best way to do this? Full disclosure is important to both of us. I want to make sure I'm not premature in bringing it up, but don't want to wait too long risking the perception I've been holding back and not been upfront.

manymoretodays
Posted (edited)

Hi Jewlz,

Soooo.......back to this topic as I got sidetracked, and replied to your main topic.

I'm probably not the best one to respond as I currently disclose to new acquaintances/friends that I have ended my "psychiatric career" and all the medications and "diagnonsense".  My gosh.......just about everyone has some experience with psych medications these days..........be it their own use, or someone in their family or close network of friends.

It's pretty easy to do, disclose......... and opens the door for further discussion, and perhaps saving others from the prolonged medication merry go round that I was on.   If they want to know more, sometimes people just don't.........I try not to let that bother me..........but I do like to "myth break" sometimes as far as what the average Joe Q. Public believes about the current mental health/keep one ill  paradigm and the gross injustice inherent in the over prescribing/under-educated practices of today.

So I'd just have to say.......if you are feeling uneasy about "holding back" information from your new friend.........you probably need to fearlessly disclose.

You could try the write about, talk about it(with others on the ground), and meditate or pray about it(whatever feels right for you)............ 

And then bring it on up.........and listen to what your new friend's opinions/knowledge base are as well.

Best of luck.  And I hope it's not a friendship ender thing........<3  Please report back if you want.........I'm all ears......or in this case.......eyes and reading. B)

Love, peace, healing, and growth..........alias Dear Abby/Ann

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Jewlz

Dear Abby/Ann-

Love the alias. Thanks for responding to my intro post. I should be holding at 80mg (60+20), but got doses mixed up last week and was  taking 90mg (60+30). I've since moved the 30mg from where I fill my pill box to stop that from happening. I rarely use the Xanax-maybe 2 total of the lowest dose and I cut those in half. I understand exactly what you're saying tho. The last couple of times I felt the need to not feel I bypassed taking the Xanax. Thank you so much for writing! I'm going to read your response on the other topic I started.

Jewlz

Ahhh-I found the reply I thought I had responded to with my intro. Wow, mmt you're awesome for offering so many angles to my topic, which I really appreciate.

I'm trying to be very careful with the rekindling of a previous friendship. Disclosing mental health issues can be really touchy. I agree with you, that I need to be fearless and just bring it up and talk about. Which will more than likely be received with a gentle spirit, it's more about me effing things up. Through the help of a psychologist and a good friend after 30+ years of therapy off and on, I realized that I was never really validated (not the exact word used by the PhD), so I have always pretty much gone for any guy that would give me any type of attention to fill that void I guess. Most if not all of the time the guy(s) were not a good choice. So this new rekindling of an old friendship is with a super sweet, very respectful guy. I've always blamed myself for failure of past relationships and/or picking the wrong guy. So that old mindset is still at the forefront of my mind. I have written to PV and touched on the emotional abuse growing up, although I didn't recognize it as such and explained that I am unsure of myself in relationships with men. He hasn't responded which is fine because I wanted him to take his time and we will talk about it this weekend. So....I don't think it will be a friendship breaker and if so well that speaks for itself right?  Educating others through my own experience with these meds is a good thing. I've been up front with both my kids about my experience. My son has been suffering from anxiety since April which is a heartbreaker for a mom and his last appointment the dr prescribed a Tricyclic  ad and was told it would help him sleep, never once mentioning it was an ad. He was smart enough to check it out on Google and we talked about it. I told, actually begged him not to take the meds. He had made up his mind to not them on his own. Dr's. just don't even think about implications or up front with their patients. Thank goodness self-awareness and awareness of society is becoming a mainstay. So my friend and I will talk about the note I sent to him this weekend and I'll see how it goes.  Thank you!

Miko789

Hello,

I need some advice,

My life is currently a mess.

I have been in  a mess and I've been watched I suspect by the authority , because  I was acting  impulsively  because they watched  me. My parents ere involved in this, talked with the authority and my life is and my health is not good.I'm hopeless, and I need  some guidance, I suspect that because I don't have a job and currently a relationship they suspect me. 

I have hyperthyroism , and I have symptoms  leg numbness and  have  problems with my father, its serious  he is impulsive and  hes controlling. I'm not  young but Iknow have done mistakes. hat to do ith this, in not  young is continuasly thinking this , and my health anxiety also, 

There is a certificate   that I believe they searched  after the incident . that they labeled me with psychosis paranoid type.

They know I know they watch me and they play dirty. but if I say it noone will believe, only 2 of my friends believe me.

THIS IS FOR 2 MONTHS NOW AND MY LIFE HAS BEEN  so so and worried, health anxiety

BTW  ANYONE WHO HAVE POSTED ON FACEBOOK  ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH  WHAT IS YOUR OPINION ABOUT IT? wILL IT BE SOMEHOW BIASED. BY OTHER PEOPLE, FRIENDS, ACQUAINTANCES.?

manymoretodays

Hi Miko,

Your main introduction topic is here :  Miko789: Tapering off seroxat and risperdal

I just went and had a look there.

Did the doctor start any treatment regarding your hypothyroidism?  That was a question posted to you there by one of the other mods.  And that would be the best place for you to answer that question for us.  And also update us as to any changes with your medications.

I have not done much posting on FB regarding my mental health status.  I pretty much keep my interactions there to family and old friends for the most part, many of who are aware of my history..........some who are not.  I don't use FB as my platform.........in any case, if that makes sense.

I think that yes, in general, other peoples opinions can be biased.........based on their own experiences, and education/understanding of mental health and illness.  So maybe that is why I don't post a lot about the ins and outs of my W/D(withdrawal) status there.

I hope that answers your question at the end of your post a little bit.

I did see some coping skills links given to you by mammaP on your main thread as well. 

Have you had a chance to look at or try any of those?  What is it that you are concerned with that they suspect you of?

Have you ever had worries like this in the past?  When did the concerns/worries start exactly?  Any relation to your medication changes?

All for now.

I see some good advice/suggestions on your main thread/introduction.  It might be helpful to go back there and review, and then update us, if you would, there.  Thank you.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Jewlz

Update on telling my long lost friend about being on psych meds. The reunion ended or I ended it. I never got to the point of sharing about my psych life which is fine too. He wanted a 'casual' relationship but all of his actions showed he wanted more. When I asked him what his intentions were he said he didn't know and that's when I found out he wanted the casual relationship. There was never any  physical intimacy which was really weird to me, but probably for the better.  Anyway, I thought about what he shared with me and we had a couple more dates. I came to the conclusion that spending more time with him, would cause me too much stress and anxiety which it already was. So I've moved on from that. My struggle now is I'm fine living by myself but it gets rather boring. Especially in early evening when it's the dinner hour I find myself feeling lonely sometimes. I swear I would've made a great nun!  

manymoretodays

Hi Jewlz,   Thanks for the update says alias Ann/Abby.  Perhaps it's a good time for something else?  Who knows?  I think if this relationship just did not feel right....well......you have a new friend now anyway.  The convent is open if you'd like to virtually stop by.  And of course boredom can be changed into whatever you might like to do with those hours.  Pet(s), or music or writing, painting, reading.  I am back to watching/seeing movies periodically.  And then more social time with others too.  Practicing my guitar.  I spose that big fish will fall out of the sky someday, and clunk me over the head,  if it's meant to.  Best.  L, P, H, and G.  mmt

Jewlz

You're so funny! I'm laughing out loud over here! Yeah, I can't be friends with the guy, which is too bad. But oh well....I'm not thinking about him as much with each passing day. I have actually completed an application to adopt a rescue. She's an older girl (10) and the same breed as my dog PJ who is 16! Hopefully that works. I have been binge watching 'Ozark' on Netflix which leads to late hours which is not good for me. I know it but I can't seem to pull myself away. I have been living alone for a long time, and I'm fine with it. I actually prefer it most times. It would be nice to find someone who is cool with hanging out and exploring new things together. I have been struggling with some depression. My daughter got married on 9/8 which was a beautiful event and it was just a perfect day, everything about it. We worked for close to 1 year planning. So there was lots of fun things to do and not that's gone. I'm struggling to get out of bed (staying up late doesn't help) and getting the laundry done seems to be a lost cause! Don't worry I have clean clothes but running close to empty. I'm an all or nothing person and I feel a little bit of nothing right now. I recognize how I'm feeling and some good self talk will get me to snap out of this soon. I've been in this spot before and I hope to get out of it sooner rather than later. It's amazing to me how one can have a new episode of depression when taking anti-depressants (eye-roll). Oh! I saw last night on the new season of 'This is Us' that Kat's husband Toby flushed his anti-depressants down the toilet. They're trying to get pregnant and he said that his meds can decrease his sperm count. Next week's episode is going to show the result of him doing that. I'm so happy to see that the show is broaching the subject of being addicted to anti-depressants. Talk to you soon!