SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Donovan: how long does withdrawal last for SSRI?

Donovan

I'm just wondering how long withdrawal symptoms can last in truth I'm not sure if what I'm feeling are withdrawal symptoms I was on citalopram 10 mg from 2013 - 2017 on and off mid 2017 I had a random panic attack and my mind ran away with the thoughts and I got pretty bad so my dose was increased to 20 mg and the side effects were some of the worst things I've ever experienced but it phased out and i was okay again but just okay I felt the medicine wasn't doing what it was doing before so I stopped in may of 2018 and I felt okay at first but as of late I've feel as if I don't see the world the same like the spice of life has went away I just want to truly be content which is why I ask how long withdrawal side effects last sorry for making this so long just want to be as informative as possible 

Edited by ChessieCat
unbolded, deitalicised and removed underlining
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Donovan: how long does withdrawal last for SSRI?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Donovan, and welcome to SA.

It isn't clear from your past the rate at which you tapered Citalopram.  Did you taper or just quit (cold turkey).  To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Please include the dates of your taper, the rate at which you tapered, and whether you did every-other-day dosing.  Please keep your signature as simple and easy to read as possible.

It sounds as if you tapered very quickly.  We recommend tapering at no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks.  Withdrawal symptoms are common with a too-fast taper.  The symptom you mentioned--that the spice of life has gone away--is called anhedonia and is a common withdrawal symptom.  

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

Unfortunately, it is impossible to say how long withdrawal will last.  These drugs alter the architecture of the brain, as explained in the following link, and it will take time for the brain to regain homeostasis.  

Brain Remodelling

MammaP, one of our moderators, wrote the following helpful information on withdrawal:

"Withdrawal is painful but is temporary and does get better. It can take a long, long time but people learn to live with and cope with it. Healing typically comes in windows and waves, there may be some good days and bad ones. Gradually the good ones outnumber the bad ones. Windows and waves

We have many success stories from people who have recovered. 

It is important to take good care of yourself, eat good fresh food, avoid stress and have a good sleep routine. 

This topic contains links to various topics on different symptoms and how people cope with them. 

Important topics on symptoms"

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you very much for responding and to best summarize the dose in the last 12 - 24 months is from 2016 - to august of 2017 I was on a 10 mg dose  the 10 mg dose pooped out on me in July of 2017 and I continued to take the 10 mg until about mid august 2017 then it was upped to 20 mg and it didn't agree with me at first I got horrible side effects but over time they passed I decided to taper in April of 2018 in which I took my 20 mg every other day for 2 weeks then I went down to 10 mg every other day for 2 weeks then 5 mg every other day for 2 weeks then I completely stopped around Mid May  my initial response wasn't all that bad I felt good actually even through out the taper but I'd say the beginning of June I started to feel different first it was mild racing thoughts next was mild to a decent amount of anxiety while trying to go to sleep then were intrusive thoughts about anything and everything would love to write them down but there so erratic and all over the place its hard to make sense of them...Now keep in mind I am the worlds worst about something popping in my head and me running with it its been my biggest down fall all of my life its not like I try to run away with it I just get so freaked about something and its all I think about but I feel my anxiety has evolved as I've aged if that makes sense ive had anxiety since I was 10 but I feel as I've aged the breed (anxiety) has evolved don't really know to say for better or worse its just changed thank you so much for taking the time out I is greatly appreciated it I will check out the links you sent to get my self more educated with what I'm going through and again Thank you!!!

• Moderator Emeritus
Many people find these supplements to be calming to the nervous system during withdrawal. 

Start one at a time and at a low dose.  Magnesium glycinate is a good form of magnesium.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.