Lika: Zyprexa withdrawal - chronic insomnia

Lika

Moved from: alldaisy-zyprexa-withdrawal-severe-insomnia-and-lack-of-appetite

Hi All, 

It is unfortunate to see that it is taking years to see a difference in your sleep pattern. I am in the same predicament - insomnia, broken sleep, and I no longer get that sleepy/tired feeling.. I now sleep for 0 -3 hours each night after quitting Zyprexa (I was put on it in January this year and I was tapered off it March). It takes me almost two hours to fall asleep and when I do, my sleep is broken - whereby I am awaken multiple times during that short sleep cycle each night.

Please, as for all of you who have experienced insomnia due to Zyprexa withdrawal, how long did it take for your body to get back a normal sleep function? Did the ability for you to feel sleepy (sleepy-tired feeling/heavy eyes) return? I thought it would get better after a short while but I have been wrong.

Edited by ChessieCat
Moved from alldaisy's intro topic

Hi All, 

I need your help!! I just want my normal life back. I am in a predicament - insomnia, broken sleep, and I no longer get that sleepy/tired feeling.. I now sleep for 0 -3 hours each night after quitting Zyprexa (I was put on it in January this year and I was tapered off it in March). It takes me almost two hours to fall asleep and when I do, my sleep is broken - whereby I am awaken multiple times during that short sleep cycle each night.

This is so depressing because I used to sleep for an ideal 7 - 8hrs (sometimes more) each night prior to Zyprexa. Also, in the day time, I still felt sleepy sometimes snd took reasonable naps. And I could sleep for several hours straight without waking all of a sudden. I miss that sleepy-tired feeling and I miss sleeping well too.

I really need your help because I have lost all hope and I thought it would get better after a short while but I have been wrong. The makers of Zyprexa are pure evil and have no regards for a human's life. It's like they are boldly experimenting on a human and don't care if their body is altered forever.

Tbh, I'm now feeling depressed and suicidal because of this. I can't imagine my life like this forever.

Please, as for all of you who have experienced insomnia due to Zyprexa withdrawal, how long did it take for your body to get back a normal sleep function? Did the ability for you to feel sleepy (sleepy-tired feeling/heavy eyes) return?

Please share your stories with me.

•  
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Lika: Zyprexa withdrawal - chronic insomnia
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello Lika and welcome to SA.

There is hope for healing from Zyprexa; it just might take a while.

Please tell us a little more about yourself by filling out a "signature" using the instructions here:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/18343-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature

18 hours ago, Lika said:

Please, as for all of you who have experienced insomnia due to Zyprexa withdrawal, how long did it take for your body to get back a normal sleep function? Did the ability for you to feel sleepy (sleepy-tired feeling/heavy eyes) return?

Please share your stories with me.

Insomnia is so common in withdrawal that there is an entire topic on it: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/53-tips-to-help-sleep-so-many-of-us-have-that-awful-withdrawal-insomnia/

Searching the site will also turn up Success Stories as well as other people's journey healing from Zyprexa and other drugs. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• 2 weeks later...

@Lika, you can read my story, I think it has enough details for you. Im still in recovery several years after CT Zyprexa. Last 6 months Ive started to feel sleep again. Dont sleep perfect though.yet...

Take care 

2015june psyc ward due to psychosis

10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2015sept/october 3weeks Nitrazepam 1w Theralen build of sleep

2016may psyc ward psychoziz. Trilafon injection Immovan 3weekz

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

2019 Ive now been medicine free for almost 2.5 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) did most damage. 

Lika,

I was on Zyprexa for 15 years on got up to 30mgs/day. I had to do a rapid taper with guidance from my Doctor due to dangerous Zyprexa side effects. My last dose was almost 6 months ago. I've got details in my intro post if you're interested.

I've had sleep issues my entire life. It started when I was 8 and the Doctors put me on Ritalin. I was put on Zyprexa to control Bipolar mania and mania psychosis. It helped with that. However, it didn't help me sleep. Just the opposite. If I can feel drugs in my system my brain fights it and I don't sleep well. That said, when I tapered and stopped Zyprexa, it was the worst insomnia I've ever experienced. I would go days without sleep, get 1-2 hours one night, then days without sleep again. Never slept more than 3 hours for probably 6 months.

My sleep did improve (2-4 hours/night) after being off Zyprexa about 12 weeks or so. I still get nights with zero sleep. Even on the rare nights I get 4-6 hours at most, I still feel like I never slept a minute. That hasn't gone away. I even tried sleeping pills while withdrawing and they didn't help. My Doctor put me on Trazodone but that doesn't help either. That's something I get to taper down the road. Still trying to get my mind to stabilize from Zyprexa.

What's helped me a lot is/was to minimize my sugar intake, no soda of any kind, no coffee after 9 am in the morning (I love to drink 16 oz of coffee after swimming), try to eat well, and EXERCISE. I swim M-F and start at 5 am. I wakes me up and I feel really good up until about noon. If I keep myself busy in the afternoon then I don't feel tired. The evenings are the worst for me when I sit down and relax. That's when I feel extremely tired. However, I'm okay with that because I've gotten through the day feeling pretty good. Also, if I drink a lot of water through the day, I think it helps me sleep a little better (probably a mind placebo but it really does seem to help).

The insomnia is something I've learned to live with since I was young. I just got really bad withdrawing from Zyprexa. I don't think there's a magic pill out there to make us sleep better. I think the best thing to do is to be mentally strong, and find something that works for you not to feel tired. Some people are just lucky and sleep whenever they want. However, I think your body naturally gets the sleep it needs but maybe not as much as our mind tells us we want. Try finding something you can do each day to force your body to wake up, get the endorphins going, and stay busy through the day.  It does suck laying in bed all night feeling exhausted and not being able to sleep. However, no matter how I feel, I keep my routine and feel pretty good through the day.

Hang in there and be mentally strong. I'll take insomnia over Zyprexa brain fog, negative side effects, and feeling better off the drug.

Good luck

December 2017: Zyprexa (30mg)  Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg)

Feb 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg)

March 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Valium (10mg) Ambien (10mg) Lamicital (450mg)

April 2018: Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (450mg) Lamicital (450mg) (Dropped Ambien, Valium no help)

May 2018:  Gabapentin (1800mg)  Wellbutrin (37.5mg)  Lamicital (450mg) Trazodone (150mg) CBD (20mg)

Present: Gabapentin (600mg)  Prazosin (10mg)  Lamicital  Trazodone (125mg)

1969 - Present: 80 Electro Convulsive Treatments, Medication changes (Too many drugs to list prior to Dec 2017) Klonipin/Xanax CT 2003

Wellbutrin Taper: Started approx  Apr 2018 450mg, 300mg, 225mg, 150mg, 112.5mg, 75mg, 37.5mg Held each dose approx 1 week per Doctor, June 5 2018 OFF WELLBUTRIN

Zyprexa Taper: Nov 2017 30mg, Dec 1 2017 20mg, Dec 11 2017 15mg, Dec 22 2017 10mg, Jan 3 2018 7.5mg, Jan 14 2018 5mg, Jan 25 2018 3.75mg, Feb 6 2018 2.5mg, Feb 16 2018, 1.25mg, Feb 25 2018 0.625mg, March 4 2018 OFF Zyprexa!!!!

Trazodone Taper: April 2018-150mg, May 25 2018-100mg, June 1 2018-50mg,  Bump June 2 2018-125mg HOLD

On 8/20/2018 at 5:37 PM, frasier23 said:

@Lika, you can read my story, I think it has enough details for you. Im still in recovery several years after CT Zyprexa. Last 6 months Ive started to feel sleep again. Dont sleep perfect though.yet...

Take care 

frasier23, I have read your story and thank you for sharing it with me. 

You seem to have gone through a lot over the years trying to resolve your insomnia. It is good to know that you are feeling sleepy again; that is one thing that I wish I can start feeling again.

I hope our bodies can heal naturally sometime soon. Also, please keep your thread updated with your progress and any new thing that you find helpful in dealing with this insomnia.

Take care

11 hours ago, Spideygsm said:

Lika,

My sleep did improve (2-4 hours/night) after being off Zyprexa about 12 weeks or so. I still get nights with zero sleep. Even on the rare nights I get 4-6 hours at most, I still feel like I never slept a minute. That hasn't gone away. I even tried sleeping pills while withdrawing and they didn't help. My Doctor put me on Trazodone but that doesn't help either. That's something I get to taper down the road. Still trying to get my mind to stabilize from Zyprexa.

What's helped me a lot is/was to minimize my sugar intake, no soda of any kind, no coffee after 9 am in the morning (I love to drink 16 oz of coffee after swimming), try to eat well, and EXERCISE. I swim M-F and start at 5 am. I wakes me up and I feel really good up until about noon. If I keep myself busy in the afternoon then I don't feel tired. The evenings are the worst for me when I sit down and relax. That's when I feel extremely tired. However, I'm okay with that because I've gotten through the day feeling pretty good. Also, if I drink a lot of water through the day, I think it helps me sleep a little better.

Hang in there and be mentally strong. 

Good luck

Spideygsm,

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me. I have gone through it and I appreciate the suggestions you said that have helped to cope with your insomnia. I will try my best to hang in there like you have stated and give my body some more time to be normal or close to normal again when it comes to sleeping.

This is a very difficult and frustrating experience. 

Good luck too.