SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

AuntiLu: tapering off Lexapro

AuntiLu

Hey y’all!  I’m so glad to have found this site.  I’ve been on lexapro for 15 years, currently tapering off and holding at 10mg. It’s been four weeks since my last “regular dosage” of 20mg.  No withdrawal symptoms for the first three weeks and then BAM!  Brain zaps, exhaustion, nausea, one bout of vomiting.   Insomnia, which I expected, at least. Symptoms resolving now that I’m taking fish oil, B complex, and magnesium.  Docs have always suggested a 50% taper to me and I’m done with that!  Hoping to stay here at 10mg for quite a while before doing a nice 10-20% step around my Thanksgiving or Christmas vacation. 

I slept well last night for the first time in a week.  Hallelujah!

I have MDD but know how to manage it better now and hope to get off meds because Lexapro was starting to cause me some significant brain fog.  I have a better support system than I did 15 years ago, go to church, closer to family, love my work as a psychotherapist where I have the honor to help OTHERS manage depression without meds. My turn!

2003  lexapro 10mg

2010 lexapro 20mg
2018 July 15 reduced Lexapro to 10 mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to AuntiLu: tapering off Lexapro
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome aboard AuntiLu,

That will be great to have you share some of your coping skills.  Perhaps you can add to our symptoms and self care section.

First things first.

We need you to create a signature for us:  Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.

Here at Surviving Antidepressants, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.
Read through the first post there thoroughly.  Sometimes at the higher dosages, a greater percentage of tapering is tolerated, yet I'm a bit concerned as you went down a full 50%.  And as your finding........the withdrawal symptoms didn't hit until 3 weeks out.   That's not too uncommon with some of the longer half life medications.    
In your case you would not be reinstating, you'd be updosing a bit, which might not be a bad idea right now.........just by a small amount........not all the way back to 20 mg.......if your symptoms increase.  Sometimes when we come off too quickly........a kind of pink cloud effect happens as well........almost like a hypomania.  So please keep in touch, and ask your support system to be a mirror for you as well.  Withdrawal symptoms can hit hard and we'd like you to avoid that, if at all possible.  It would be far nicer........ to avoid some withdrawal symptoms........ than trying to be patient, while waiting to heal from them, once they've set in.

As you have been on the Lexapro for 15 years these links may help further your understanding of why going slowly will pay off.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur. And sleep is really important during withdrawal.  Insomnia is no small deal.  Glad you had one good night so far.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system.   Read through these links, at least the first couple of posts in them, to see if what you have started makes sense so far.  We've got a lot of information around here.  I hope you like reading.

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Be extra cautious with your B complex as well.  B vitamins can be tricky in withdrawal.  You may find that what you tolerated before isn't tolerated as well, as you are going through this process.  Many members find some of the B's to be way too activating.    Much better to avoid the complex types of vitamins and go with single ingrediants now.

This is your introduction/journal page where you have now introduced yourself to the community, you can ask questions here regarding your tapering, give updates, and just keep a record of your journey.

Happy reading and keep us updated.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,
mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
punctuation, spacing

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thanks for all the info, MMT!  Hopefully I did the signature right. 

Since I did the first 50% reduction at doc’s suggestion and am (possibly) through the worst my hope is to stay here if I can.  If things get tough I’ll return to 18mg.  I did a night of puking and two days of slow digestion, kinda feeling like I paid my dues and want to see something for it.  I’m glad to have found this site so I can avoid a repeat in the future. 

I take B-complex already for low 6 and 12. My doc doesn’t want me to take individual Bs because they can cause overproduction of certain cells when not taken in the right proportions. I never take it after 12pm as it will intensify insomnia if I take it later. I caught Fifth Disease/Roseola from my nephews several years ago and it zapped my B12 down to nothing, causing nerve pain and numbness.  It’s such a mild childhood disease but can do a number on adults, who knew?!

I’ve taken magnesium for years and find it a great help for somatic anxiety and insomnia.  So...I had to stop all supplements for several days due to the nausea but now I’m back on that. 

The fish oil has definitely been a noticeable help. I’m supposed to be taking it anyway for high triglycerides.  I’ll continue to monitor this mix of supplements and any reactions it causes. 

Morning light therapy is my biggest help this week, helping me shake off the fuzzies when waking and kicking my melatonin into production early enough in the evening so that I can fall asleep at a reasonable hour. I’ve never done well with melatonin supplements so I find this ideal. 

2003  lexapro 10mg

2010 lexapro 20mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I'd shoot for 12.5 mg or less.  You may find yourself sensitized to Lex now.........and 18 mg might shoot you to the moon and back.  It's much better to err on the side of too little, than to get adversely affected, and then go down again.........or so it seems, from what I've seen.  And it takes awhile to notice the difference with Lexapro sometimes.  I hope you can stay put too.  You definitely do not want to go so fast, when you get to the lower dosages.  Let's be really cautious from here on out.......10% or less.  And make sure you have waited a full 4-6 weeks from that last drop before going further.  So far so good is great though!!!  No fuzzies or cogfog is great too!  Get your sunshine and walking in.

I don't know how far you got with your reading today but there's a bit more discussion around updosing and stabilizing and stabilizing, what does that mean? that you may want to look at.  I had not even seen those threads myself.......they were at the top of the reinstatement link.  So much information to explore here. 

That's great with the magnesium.........  I especially like Epsom salt baths......very calming........I think it's Magnesium Sulfate and I usually just do one handful in a nice relaxing bath.   I'm glad the nausea subsided .  And do spend some time reading here, when you can.

Fifth's disease, eh?  I remember it.  I was a Pediatric NP for awhile.  I didn't know it zapped B12 in adults though.  I do have pictures of it in a great book.  Those rashes were fun to figure out.  Your B12 might have normalized again, but if you find it calming........use it along with the magnesium.  You'll just excrete what you don't use(with the B vitamins) fairly quickly.

The signature looks good.......maybe just add the month and day for your decreases.  Write the month out, as we have a fairly international population here......so there is no confusion.

Yes, it's your turn now AntiLu,  Keep us updated.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Why can’t I see my sig or anyone else’s?  I have the option turned on. 

I read tons before I ever posted, I’m aware. 😜

2003  lexapro 10mg

2010 lexapro 20mg

• Moderator Emeritus

It's explained in the signature link.  You can update your signature from mobile devices, but cannot view them from most phones, and perhaps some notepad devices.

You have to turn on desktop website to see signature!

Sep- 2016 - Okt 2017 citalopram some months 15 mg some months 20 mg

Nov 2017- Apr 2018 citalopram 25 mg

Apr 2018 -  Jun 2018 citalopram 3 month TAPER too fast  from 25mg to 16.5 mg (0.1 mg per day decrease, felt horrible and crashed)

Jun 2018 - Aug13th 2018 citalopram trying to stabilize at 16.5 mg for 5 wks

- August 14th 2018 - April 29th 2019  citalopram 18 mg (1.5 mg updose).

2019 apr 27 : START taper citalopram @ 18 mg: 29Jun 16.4 mg / 19aug 15.4 mg / 25aug 15.2 mg / 30sep 14.0 mg / 4dec 13.1 mg

2020  03Jan 12.75 mg / 28Jan 12.29 mg / 18Feb 11.83 mg, 25Feb 11.68 mg hold.. / 7May 11.33 mg hold...., 4Aug 10.98 mg / 5Dec 10.0 mg 4 month hold...

2021 30mar 9.8 mg / 06apr 9.5 mg /  13apr 9.4 mg / 14may 8,5 mg / 04jun 8,0 mg / 11jun 7.75 mg, 02jul 7.35 mg /  09jul 7.2 mg hold 3 weeks during holiday /31jul 7 mg/ 8aug 6.8 mg / 15aug 6.63mg / 22aug 6.5mg / 1sep 6.3 mg / 8sep 6.15 mg / 15sep 6.0 mg / 22sep 5.9 mg / 29sep 5.8 mg / 04 oct 5.65 mg / 10oct 5.55 mg / 17oct 5.45 mg / 24oct 5.35mg / 30oct 5.25 mg hold 3 wks / 22nov 5.15 mg / 01dec 5.1mg / 12dec 5.0mg / 20dec 4.85mg / 30dec 4.70mg

2022   08jan 4.5 mg / 16jan 4.4 mg / 23jan 4.3 mg / 27jan 4.2 mg / 18feb 4.1 mg / 25feb 4.0 mg / 04mar 3.9 mg / 11mar 3.75 mg / 18Mar 3.65 mg / 09apr 3.55 mg / 16apr 3.45 mg / 23apr 3.35 mg / 01may 3.25 mg / 8may 3.15 mg / 17may 3.10 mg / 28 may 3.0 mg / 7jun 2.94 mg / 18 Jun 2.88 mg / 27 jun 2.84 mg / 05 jul 2.80 mg / 16 jul 2.75 mg / 23 jul 2.70 mg / 01aug 2.65 mg / 09aug 2.60 mg hold 5wks / 18sep 2.55 mg / 25sep 2.5 mg /02oct 2.45 mg / 10oct 2.40 mg / 19oct 2.35 mg / 27oct 2.30 mg / 05nov 2.27 mg / 14nov 2.25 mg / 22nov 2.20 mg / 29nov 2.10mg / 09dec 2.05 mg / 15dec 2.0 mg 

2023  hold 2.0 mg for 5 months / 05may 1.95 mg / 14may 1.90 mg / 24may 1.87 mg / 02jun 1.85 mg / 17jun 1.82 mg / 27jun 1.79 mg / 07jul 1.75 mg / 31jul 1.72 mg / 12aug 1.69mg / 27aug 1.67 mg / 04sep 1.65 mg / 09sep 1.63 mg / 22sep 1.61 mg / 27sep 1.60 mg / 12oct 1.58 mg / 18oct 1.56 mg / 31oct 1.54 mg / 06nov 1.52 mg / 18nov 1.50 mg / 04dec 1.48 mg / 11dec 1.46 mg / 22dec 1.45 mg / 28dec 1.44 mg

2024 01jan 1.43 mg / 06jan 1.42 mg/ 10jan 1.40 mg hold /

Each day this week has been better.  Used my therapy lamp this morning (woke up feeling a bit shaky), had my protein drink for breakfast.  At the office now, had some Bs with a snack and used magnesium cream (that I keep on hand for  shoulder injury).  Feeling pretty good.  Lunch and fish oil in about an hour!

2003  lexapro 10mg

2010 lexapro 20mg

12 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Fifth's disease, eh?  I remember it.  I was a Pediatric NP for awhile.  I didn't know it zapped B12 in adults though.  I do have pictures of it in a great book.  Those rashes were fun to figure out.  Your B12 might have normalized again, but if you find it calming........use it along with the magnesium.  You'll just excrete what you don't use(with the B vitamins) fairly quickly.

It was wild. I wouldn’t wish Fifth on my worst enemy.  I must have been about 38 when I had it.  INTENSE joint pain and fever for a week. Joint pain slowly resolved.  Then sixth months later I had practically no B12 in my system, despite being a red meat eater extraordinaire. Many other similar stories on the internet. Did a round of B12 injections and supplementation and then the joint pain and deficiency came back 12 months later.  My nephews?  Three days of rash and fine.  Lol!

2003  lexapro 10mg

2010 lexapro 20mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh......that looks great.  I think that many here do use the lotion/cream form of magnesium.  I do remember though that another mod, brassmonkey, did caution about too much of magnesium.......just not good.  So between your capsules and using the lotion.......you might just NOT want to indulge in Epsom baths too.  The skin absorbs a fair amount and we wouldn't want anyone to OD on magnesium.

Wow......the Fifth's sounds like an awful illness to get in adulthood.

Oh no, I don’t take baths at all.  I used to do the occasional Epsom salts bath before I found the lotion and spray forms, but my skin doesn’t like baths. 😊

Edited by AuntiLu
Typo

2003  lexapro 10mg

2010 lexapro 20mg

• Mentor

hi AuntiLu

welcome!!
I'm just going to chime in here about going VERY slowly off this drug. Lexapro is one of the strongest ADs (if not the strongest) and it often has a nasty habit of not affecting you very much when you make the initial drops- but it catches up with you later.

aslo the lower you get in dose, the slower you may need to go. there's a graph that explains why this is so, I'll see if I can find it

I was on lexapro since 2002, starting at 20 mgs and going up as high as 40 mgs at times. I tried to get off it at least 3 times, going far too quickly- and had to go back on, the WD symptoms were horrendous. At the time I did not KNOW they were WD symptoms, as all of my docs insisted that there IS no WD from ADS 😕

yeh, right......

anyway, I was extremely fortunate to find this forum late in 2015, when I'd already decreased my dose far too quickly and was having a TERRIBLE time.
I FELT FINE at first! I rapidly went down from 30 mg to 20 mgs to 10 mgs to 5 mgs to 2.5mgs. I had some night sweats and some odd pains but for the most part, I got down to 2.5mgs in 4 mos not really feeling all that badly

But then It was like I was hit by a MACK TRUCK! suddenly I could not sleep- at all! I was a mass of nerves and had terrible rages, so out of character for me.
I was terrified, I had no idea what was happening.

I found this site and learned about the 10% reduction and decided to stay put at 2.5mgs

I'd planned to stay there for many months and then start tapering off, but I was still on the fence about who was right- my doctors - ALL of whom insisted there was no withdrawal symptoms from this drug- or this site, which said otherwise

so, in late May of 2107, I stupidly stopped taking the 2.5mgs

I was ok- not wonderful but the symptoms were manageable- for roughly  3 mos. THEN  I was SLAMMED with ACUTE withdrawal, with OVER 40 SEVERE symptoms of all kinds. I was in HELL. I  can't even describe how horrendous it was.

I tried to reinstate and discovered that by this time I was super sensitive to the drug.

I literally started out taking 1/20 of a mg!! 1/20th! that is how strong this stuff is!!
I could feel the difference that tiny bit made!

over the course of a few days to a few weeks, I've forgotten now how long it took< I went up and landed at 0.3mgs

at that point, going up any further made my symptoms worse.

THEN I started a taper down from there, that took me an entire year (and was also probably too fast!!!!!)

it was beyond a doubt, the WORST YEAR of my entire life, and I am 62 yrs old now and have survived every single kind of abuse- so that should give you some idea of just how bad it was

I finally got to zero last October.

I am finally doing well but it's been ROUGH

I would not wish this on my worst enemy!

I tell you all of this because I really believed that I was "special" - that sure, maybe others had a hard time getting off this stuff, but not me. I'd gone on and off so many other drugs and been "ok" (but I'd also always been put on a new drug- or two or three!)

I thought because the first drops in dose went ok, the rest would be a pc of cake too. BUT NO, they were not and they rarely are for ANYONE going off of lexapro

look around and read the threads of others going off of this drug. Think long and hard about if you want to go thru what we went thru. None of us is exaggerating, if anything, I personally downplayed the severity of my symptoms because they scared me so much and I did not want to scare any one else

but I do hope to help others avoid what I went thru. I've been around this forum for a long time now and read many threads and I can tell you without question, the ppl who do  the best, who have the "easiest' time of it, are the ones who follow the advice to go slow and keep things steady and simple

they just do so much better.

there's no rush to get off the drug. You want to do it as safely and with as little disruption to your life as you possibly can

if you go too fast, you can find yourself in a spot like I did, where nothing helps and you've just got to ride it out- for a very long time. I almost didn't make it, it got that bad

please follow the advice given here and slow down ok? the doctors are WRONG.  very few ppl who have taken this drug for as long as you and I did, can just quickly taper off

sorry for kinda belaboring the point but I hate to see others suffer when they don't have to. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • Moderator Emeritus

Yup. 

I had my Lexapro experience too H2H.

I'm hoping that AntiLu's dose occupancy at 10 mg hasn't changed that much from 20 mg.........   "Look at that first post in the Why taper by 10%",  AntiLu.......in the very first post there it talks about this........serotonin transporter occupancy.  It might(fingers crossed) have not changed that much from 20 mg to 10 mg for you.  Both H2H and I went on down way too quickly with the lower doses.   Obviously......with the symptoms you've had already.......it's changed, yet you seem to have bounced back pretty well.

I went from 5 mg, which I had been on for some time.......my 1/2 tablet(10 mg tablet), to the liquid prep, and right on down to 4 mg and then 3 mg  and really crashed hard.  I went to the hospital, and of course, they knew less than me, at that time(about withdrawal), and took me off completely.......then dosed me up with 2 other medications, which did help a little.   Then, I came here and got off the last meds/drugs more carefully.   I had to convalesce though at home for awhile........I mean I could get out after awhile, but really needed help with a lot for 3-6 months.  

I think I had glanced/speed read through the Icarus project's,  "harm reducation guide to coming off medications", and thought that was enough.  Not too bright of me, eh?

That's what we want to help you avoid though.  Our lousy experiences and the aftermaths.

We're not trying to fill you with fear AuntiLu, just with enough knowledge, to make sound decisions on your own.  Doctor doesn't always know best about withdrawal........which you've discovered.

I'm just thinking too.......that it may be better to hold for even longer than 4-6 weeks, after that 50% drop........just to be sure.  BEFORE tapering any further. 

We've discussed updosing.

And of course.......I've found you another link that might further empower you to read.  From our symptoms and self care section.  The section about Stability in the essay that brassmonkey put together:  Are We There Yet? How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?

Anyway.......thank you for commenting H2H.  It's good to share experiences.

And AntiLu........do share your thoughts as well when you get a chance.  Sounds like you are at work today and probably listening to others woes.  I've got you loaded up with tons to read.  I'm glad you did some reading before hand, as you mentioned, as well.

Keep us updated.

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Nice to meet you, thanks for sharing your story!

I do intend to make my next drop much smaller, only did the 50% because my doctor suggested it.  (In fact, three doctors have suggested that over the years and this has been the best WD experience I’ve had so far out of three.) 

I do appreciate everyone’s concern but I know my body and mind EXTREMELY WELL. There’s plenty of good advice on this site, I don’t need extra lectures.  Grown woman. 😃 ❤️

2003  lexapro 10mg

2010 lexapro 20mg

• Mentor

I'm sorry you felt that was a "lecture". I know my body and mind "extremely well", too but what I didn't know was how strong this drug is, and how going off it would affect me. 

good luck.

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106

Good luck auntilu!! 

I'm very interested in your story. I wish you all the best for now.

Several doctors told us over the years, my wife and I, on several occasions (venlafaxine, citalopram, sertraline) to cut each dose in half when we started about coming off meds. Half life in your bloodstream etc..etc.. change to different medications after 6 weeks...

Even my psychologist (35 years experience) told me 5 mg more or less of citalopram wouldn't make any difference to my body. Well I can tell you it does! I'm currently on 16.5 mg cita, tapered from 25 in 85 days. So, that is 0.1 mg each day. Very, very redicilously slow according to doctors but.....I updosed to 18 yesterday because of horrible WD. I had been on 16.5 for five weeks but couldn't take it any longer.

I had the flu and vomited all night, high fever also. Could that have triggered some extra nasty WD symptoms? I took my meds after vomiting. I felt so bad completely crawling out of my skin....

Have a nice day

Jozeff

Apr 2018 -  Jun 2018 citalopram 3 month TAPER too fast  from 25mg to 16.5 mg (0.1 mg per day decrease, felt horrible and crashed)

2019 apr 27 : START taper citalopram @ 18 mg: 29Jun 16.4 mg / 19aug 15.4 mg / 25aug 15.2 mg / 30sep 14.0 mg / 4dec 13.1 mg

2020  03Jan 12.75 mg / 28Jan 12.29 mg / 18Feb 11.83 mg, 25Feb 11.68 mg hold.. / 7May 11.33 mg hold...., 4Aug 10.98 mg / 5Dec 10.0 mg 4 month hold...

2021 30mar 9.8 mg / 06apr 9.5 mg /  13apr 9.4 mg / 14may 8,5 mg / 04jun 8,0 mg / 11jun 7.75 mg, 02jul 7.35 mg /  09jul 7.2 mg hold 3 weeks during holiday /31jul 7 mg/ 8aug 6.8 mg / 15aug 6.63mg / 22aug 6.5mg / 1sep 6.3 mg / 8sep 6.15 mg / 15sep 6.0 mg / 22sep 5.9 mg / 29sep 5.8 mg / 04 oct 5.65 mg / 10oct 5.55 mg / 17oct 5.45 mg / 24oct 5.35mg / 30oct 5.25 mg hold 3 wks / 22nov 5.15 mg / 01dec 5.1mg / 12dec 5.0mg / 20dec 4.85mg / 30dec 4.70mg

2022   08jan 4.5 mg / 16jan 4.4 mg / 23jan 4.3 mg / 27jan 4.2 mg / 18feb 4.1 mg / 25feb 4.0 mg / 04mar 3.9 mg / 11mar 3.75 mg / 18Mar 3.65 mg / 09apr 3.55 mg / 16apr 3.45 mg / 23apr 3.35 mg / 01may 3.25 mg / 8may 3.15 mg / 17may 3.10 mg / 28 may 3.0 mg / 7jun 2.94 mg / 18 Jun 2.88 mg / 27 jun 2.84 mg / 05 jul 2.80 mg / 16 jul 2.75 mg / 23 jul 2.70 mg / 01aug 2.65 mg / 09aug 2.60 mg hold 5wks / 18sep 2.55 mg / 25sep 2.5 mg /02oct 2.45 mg / 10oct 2.40 mg / 19oct 2.35 mg / 27oct 2.30 mg / 05nov 2.27 mg / 14nov 2.25 mg / 22nov 2.20 mg / 29nov 2.10mg / 09dec 2.05 mg / 15dec 2.0 mg 

2023  hold 2.0 mg for 5 months / 05may 1.95 mg / 14may 1.90 mg / 24may 1.87 mg / 02jun 1.85 mg / 17jun 1.82 mg / 27jun 1.79 mg / 07jul 1.75 mg / 31jul 1.72 mg / 12aug 1.69mg / 27aug 1.67 mg / 04sep 1.65 mg / 09sep 1.63 mg / 22sep 1.61 mg / 27sep 1.60 mg / 12oct 1.58 mg / 18oct 1.56 mg / 31oct 1.54 mg / 06nov 1.52 mg / 18nov 1.50 mg / 04dec 1.48 mg / 11dec 1.46 mg / 22dec 1.45 mg / 28dec 1.44 mg

Sorry to hear about your puking episode, Jozeff.   That is the worst.  Hope you feel better today.  

It’s been a week since symptoms hit me and every day gets better, so it feels like I’m on a good track.  Sleep is good (as good as it ever has been for me, I’m not a good sleeper), waking up gets easier.  During periods of insomnia it helps me to kick my dogs out of the bed, which is a bit sad as I like to have them close by but...oh well.  The show must go on. ;) 

I can see where the flu plus WD would really mess with a person. :( My goodness.  

2003  lexapro 10mg

2010 lexapro 20mg

I'm glad to hear things get better every day! Good job. Did you updose a bit?

Yeah the flu got me hard this time. I felt like dying in my own bathroom. Horrible. My neck, hands and feet just tingled from nerve activity. Strange feeling in chest also. All panick....

Bought some high quality b12 today. (Methylcobalamine). I used a very cheap vitamine b complex which didn't do much for me except make my pi.. almost glow in the dark.

How much should I start using the b12. I'm thinking of a very low dose to check. It is of course another parameter but I'm curious if it would do any good forme. 

I also use magnesium chloride 400 mg elemental Mgand high grade fish oil (1.5 g).

Thanks for your input and good luck!!

Jozeff

Hi Jozeff,

No updose, Just seems to be stabilizing for me now.  Bananas, fish oil, and magnesium seem to be helping. 

I can only speak from my own experience but I have to take any B vitamins in the morning so they don’t keep me awake.  Yes, the B complex makes for yellow pee. 😂 They tend to be very energizing.   They help me with exhaustion.  A nutritionist friend of mine told me not to take B12 for very long unless I’m sure I have a deficiency because it causes cell growth - and we all have some cancer cells in our bodies.  

Every time I’ve had the stomach flu I’ve just wished someone would put me out of my misery. 😜

2003  lexapro 10mg

2010 lexapro 20mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Apologies AuntiLu........I can understand how you might have taken "our experiences" as "lecturing".

It's hard not to share sometimes.........and I didn't mean to take over/ way lay your introduction with "my story".

I think we just want your taper to go better than ours........I mean, I'm sure you can understand that.  (((((butterfly hugs))))

The learning and growth in this whole process can be phenomenal.

You DO sound better prepared than a lot of us were........when we landed here, on the mighty survivingantidepressants ship. 

Me, I'm just wanting to get you educated further......in hopes that will pay off up the line for you.  Hence- the best links to information that I can find for you......with a a touch of guidance thrown in(based on experience).  Do let us know when or how we can help you further.......

and edited......so the big drop was on the 15th of July then.  Just rearrange a bit in your signature.......e.g.  2018 July 15 reduced Lexapro to 10 mg

You could add to that line, laterally or horizontally :rolleyes: with any further updoses or decreases.  Month(spelled out), day, drug, dose.  (now that you've got the year noted).  Otherwise it kind of looks like you dropped to 15 mg then to 10 mg. 

And thank you for getting the signature done.  B)

You could add briefly your supplements in there too.  Just do a separate line for that.

Are you on any additional drugs/prescription medications?

Best, Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

p.s. apologies too.....none too great with words at the moment, just in from the dentist!!!  Ugh, root canal in my future!!!!

Edited by manymoretodays
additional, spacing

Thank you, MMT, I really appreciate that.  

I’m an avid reader and researcher and would never have joined this forum without reading widely beforehand. Responsibility for my health starts and ends with me. I kind of chafed at the “we” language and suggestion that I was being given reading “assignments”...which I had already read twice.  I’m self-employed; never had a boss I didn’t fire. 😜

I’m truly sorry to hear that so many have worse experiences, and it’s unfair that I’m bouncing back well (apparently).  Such is life, I guess.  

2003  lexapro 10mg

2010 lexapro 20mg

Yes, I have to take Questran/cholestyramine for bile acid malabsorption due to having my gallbladder removed two years ago.  It makes all my other meds and supplements absorb less effectively.  I WONDER if I had a bit of SSRI withdrawal after I started taking that (even though I take Questran in AM and Lex in PM).  The six months after gallbladder surgery were tough in general - physically and emotionally.  I was very angry that I wasn’t forewarned about bile acid problems that were likely to occur.  I’ll be on Questran for the rest of my life, without it I can’t get three feet from the toilet. 

All that said, the gallbladder had to come out because of a HUGE stone in its duct and the possibility of gangrene. 😮 So, I wonder now if a silver lining is that I already partially withdrew from the SSRI without knowing it. 

2003  lexapro 10mg

2010 lexapro 20mg

• Moderator Emeritus

:D  Thanks.  I'll try and watch the "we, our, etc". And work on my long form "success story" and overall organization of information sharing, links, thoughts, and focus.

Hi auntilu, so how are you doing right now. You're still on 10 mg citalopram. It's your fifth week right? I hope you get absolutely stable on your dose. 

How much vitamine B12 do you take? Never heard of b12 promoting the growth of cancer cells.

I have 2000 mcg tablets which is way to much I guess. I bought expensive methylcobalamine tablets which metabolize better they say. So perhaps even a lower dose is needed of these?

I take a multivitamin with 110 mcg cyanocobalamine which is a cheap form.

Any thoughts?

Have a nice day!!

Jozeff

Hi Jozeff, I hope you’re well!

My situation may be very different because I had a severe B12 and B6 deficiency for years before this. I used to take 1000mcg B12 daily and never noticed that it made me energized or nervous at all.  I could take it any time of the day or night and still sleep well. And, yes, I tried to take the better methyl form.

The B Complex will give me energy and insomnia, so I never take it after noon.  I don’t know what I’ve been taking lately, I’ve been breaking tablets in half.  It’s just a typical dose from over-the-counter supplements, not the ones labeled “super” or “energy” or “100.”  Those are too much. 

I’m feeling good, just noticing sleep differences now. I’m waking very early in the morning which is completely new for me.  I feel rested but it’s 2-3 hours before my normal start of the day.  

On full dose Lexapro, I rarely remembered dreams.  Well, now I’m back to having the kind of vivid, bizarre dreams I had in my 20 before the SSRI. They don’t bother me, it’s just a change.  And last night I had an episode of sleep paralysis...woke up feeling like someone was in the corner of my room and couldn’t move for a few seconds.  Bizarrely, I knew what was happening and it didn’t freak me out.  I felt like someone was there but I knew it wasn’t true.  So...brain still settling into the new normal here. 

2003  lexapro 10mg

2010 lexapro 20mg

Ps, b12 can be absorbed sublingually, so you can *probably* cut those big tablets if you want.  

2003  lexapro 10mg

2010 lexapro 20mg

Thanks!

Great that it's going ok with you. Nice to hear. Well, dreams are strange that's for sure. Since tapering I don't dream much. Had very vivid dreams about my father for 3 years since he died. Woke up extremely sad and exhausted back then. Today is another beautiful day here. Sunny, breezy and relaxed. 

I'll give the b12 a go. What dose should I start with.

Tried cbd oil and must say I feel quite relaxed but I am absolutely not sure that it's the oil. I'll find out soon enough.

Cheers!!

Jozeff

• Mentor
43 minutes ago, AuntiLu said:

I’m feeling good, just noticing sleep differences now. I’m waking very early in the morning which is completely new for me.  I feel rested but it’s 2-3 hours before my normal start of the day.

this is worrisome to me. Please understand it is NOT my intention to lecture, I am truly frightened for you. I went thru such a horrible time because I didn't heed the advice that I was being given.

in a way that is almost identical to what you are describing, I did not feel too badly when I made my first big cuts in my dose. I started off with waking up early but feeling pretty good overall so was not worried. I had some other symptoms that were tolerable and honestly believed that I was a special case and that things were not going to get any worse for me.

I recklessly went on tapering too fast and even after things got bad, I still thought it was only going to be bad for a very short period of time, and again, made decisions that eventually cost me dearly.

I was warned, the same way I am trying to warn you, not lecture and not try to scare you but just to let you know, there's kind of a honey mood period when you first taper that lulls you into a false sense of security

I hope and pray that you *are* that unusual case and wont' suffer like the rest of us have but I feel I need to say something about the warning signs you are already having.

Good luck to you in your taper. I hope it goes well.

if worse comes to worse, I suppose you can do what I did and go back on a full dose and try again. I did that at least 3 times but I never really was "normal" til I finally tapered off the slowly and more closely to the recommended "harm reduction" method

Thank you for your concern, H2H.  Have you read where I state above that I intend my next tapers to be slow?

2003  lexapro 10mg

2010 lexapro 20mg

Let's hope that auntilu keeps doing great. I find it very honest of you to warn auntilu and not make things better than they are. But, we should also have faith in auntilus situation and be glad that today is a good day. There might be some hard times coming and going but a fine day must be celebrated. We have to be positive to one another and help each other through the day!

Your concern is appreciated h2h, let ttat be clear. We're trying to support each other

Good luck to you all!!

• Mentor

I'm very sorry if I'm not coming across as supportive. :(

I guess I"m not very good with this media, I find it hard to find the words to convey what I mean

yes AntiLu, I did see where you said that you planned to taper more slowly.

It’s ok, H2H.  Your advice is good, it’s just that I didn’t ask for it. I hear you.  I am taking care of myself. ❤️

2003  lexapro 10mg

2010 lexapro 20mg

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/16/2018 at 2:05 PM, AuntiLu said:

Yes, I have to take Questran/cholestyramine for bile acid malabsorption due to having my gallbladder removed two years ago.  It makes all my other meds and supplements absorb less effectively.

Hi AuntiLu,

You mentioned all your other meds in your post ^.

.......and I'm guessing that you've already checked for interactions........so I will only "suggest" that, if not, you go ahead and plug them all into one of the sites that "we" often suggest here.  Drugs.com

It's a bit hard not to use the "we" from time to time.  "We", being,  a collective community of like minded people, who really believe in what we are doing.   We just do "our" best.

Hoping for the best with your continued journey to get drug free, and be healthy, and well in all dimensions.

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
punctuation

• Mentor
On 8/16/2018 at 4:05 PM, AuntiLu said:

Yes, I have to take Questran/cholestyramine for bile acid malabsorption due to having my gallbladder removed two years ago.

I've never heard of this.....? I had my gallbladder out in 2003 and no dr ever suggested I need to take anything for it...?

my gallbladder was so full of stones it had contracted onto itself, I was told, and was doing literally nothing. It was stuck to my liver they said, and would probably get infected at some point

I have been fine since having it out, I had some issues with digestion for years but that was totally resolved when I lost over 60bs and went on a super low fat,  whole foods plant based diet, and got off all of the other non psych drugs I was on.

anyway, can you tell me more about what this questran is supposed to do? is it a prescription?  how do you know if you have bile acid malabsorption?

during WD I had two lab results that were abnormal,  I am blanking on what they were but they were very bizarre and the dr had no explanation, now I am wondering if it has to do with my gall bladder