SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Leo1983: SSRI withdrawal

Leo1983

Hi Guys.

I have been on every SSRI over the past 2 years, apart from Paroxetine.

This all started from some situational anxiety at work. Each time i took a medication i was on them for about 3 month without any benefit at all. I would loose time at work, cold turkey and return back to work. Each time i did this i was getting worse and worse. I would then return back to the doctor and ve started on something else. This has basically gone on for 2 years. All this time i have got worse. I have now come to understand withdrawal and the fact i could have well been prescribed numerous medications due to an illness been mistaken for withdrawal.

8 weeks ago after stopping my second attempt of Escitalopram for 3 months i decided to stop for good with a fast taper. I feel anxious, dizzy, fatigued, poor cognition and inability to focus. I know if i take a dose of SSRI that this will improve however i will return to the Zombie state of meds.

I am finished with medication!!! On reflection my problems i encountered prior to any medication was far easier than the problems i have had the past 2 years on medications.

I think i have been a victim of Psychiatry! I dont think i ever needed medication! My chemical imbalance was created by meds! If i had no knowledge of this i would be stuck in Psychiatry!

I just want to know ppls experiences and can i still be in withdrawal at 8 weeks after 2 years of messing about with meds.

Thanks

Lee

May 2016 - Aug 2016 - Prozac 20mg

March 2017 - June 2017 - Sertraline 100mg. Horrific withdrawal 5 m onths.

July 2017 - Aug 2017 - Mirtazapine 15mg. Horrific.

August 2017 - December 2017 Fluoxetine 10mg for 2 weeks ghen Escitalopram 20mg for 12 weeks. Never felt normal since this. Or baseline.

March 2018 - June 2018 - Escitalopram 5mg for 12 weeks. Stopped and here i am full of symptoms i never had.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Leo1983: SSRI withdrawals for 8 weeks

I have been on every SSRI over the past 2 years, apart from Paroxetine.

This all started from some situational anxiety at work. Each time i took a medication i was on them for about 3- 4 month without any benefit at all. I would loose time at work, cold turkey and return back to work. Each time i did this i was getting worse and worse. I would then return back to the d octor and be started on something else. This has basically gone on for 2 years. All this time i have got worse. I have now come to understand withdrawal and the fact i could have well been prescribed numerous medications due to an illness been mistaken for withdrawal.

8 weeks ago after stopping my second attempt of Escitalopram that i was on for 6 months. i decided to stop for good with a fast taper. I feel anxious, dizzy, fatigued, poor cognition and inability to focus. I know if i take a dose of SSRI that this will improve however i will return to the Zombie state of meds.

I am finished with medicat ion!!! On reflection my problems i encountered prior to any medication was far easier than the problems i have had the past 2 years on

I just want to know ppls experiences and can i still be in withdrawal at 8 weeks after 2 years of messing about with meds.

Thanks

August 2017 - December 2017 Fluoxetine 10mg for 2 weeks ghen Escitalopram 20mg for 12 weeks. Never felt normal since this. Or baseline.

March 2018 - June 2018 - Escitalopram 5mg for 12 weeks. Stopped and here i am full of symptoms i never had.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Leo and welcome aboard,

Yes......absolutely........you can still be in withdrawal(W/D) 8 weeks after 2 years of psychiatric drugging and a fast taper.

What is withdrawal syndrome?

How psych drugs remodel your brain

Dr Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur. 

Here at surviving antidepressants we recommend a judicious harm reduction, 10% or less reduction approach to coming off psychiatric medication.

Why taper by 10%

Tips for tapering Lexapro/escitalopram

You may want to consider reinstatement.  Reinstatement is the only known medical treatment, that may help to alleviate  withdrawal symptoms.  

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Be aware that the dose that you would reinstate at, would be much less than the usual prescribed dosage.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil).

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

We ask all all members to create a signature.  This is the section you see below posts.

Please put your withdrawal history in a signature

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi

Thanks for that.

Can i just ask after 8 weeks of hell is there any point going back to meds? Is it not best to just suck up each day and heal?

Also are my symptoms that of withdrawal?

Thanks

• Moderator Emeritus

Your symptoms sure could be W/D.  Take a look at Dr. Glenmullen's list.    Especially, if they seem worse than what you originally sought treatment for.  I wouldn't waste your time convincing any doctor of that though.  Most still believe that W/D is just a 2 week thing........anything after that they'll tell you it's your mental illness.  Or worse......put you on a benzo or antipsychotic.

If I were you, I think I would consider a small reinstatement..........we're talking about a 1 mg or 2 mg dose.  It''s not quite the same as going back on drugs.

I wish I had tried that, as it might have saved me a whole lot of recovery time.  You're in that 2 month window.  When I got here I was several months out and already on 2 medications to counteract a severe early withdrawal.

Do you have any Lexapro left?

The links explain more about reinstatement,  how you could liquify Lexapro to take a small dosage.   You would stay on that for some time........and then more carefully slowly taper off.

You could also use Citalopram, it's a related drug.

L, P, H, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

These symptoms are nothing like my original reason for going to Drs.

Its all on the list my symptoms.

So did you eventually heal then? Or stop feeling so rubbish? Its the dizziness and cognitive issues for me that are the worst

Oh and lethergy

• Moderator Emeritus

I've had to accept that, for me, after some 30 years of painful, and patronizing mental illness care........that I have a chronic condition now.  Call it what you will.  Autonomic nervous system dysregulation,  amygdala(amyGdala patterns, which I believe can be modified), protracted withdrawal syndrome, or it is what it is.  B)  And that it's up to me to maximize healthy living, and a decent attitude, and settle on in for a much more peaceful, simple life, than that which I once imagined for myself.  Life is good.  Stress can be managed.

So yes, I've successfully turned the corner.  It's exciting to me........the future, the present, and how I can live well enough now.  Empowering.  Faith helps a lot.  Relationships and being part of several communites, as well.   Forever on the path to enlightenment and alternative practices of health.  I wish I could say complementary practices of health........complementary to existing health care..........perhaps soon.   Well........you asked.  Off my soapbox now.

I've got to get to outside work now.

Have a great day.

L, P, H, and R,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
elaboration

Great.

Anyone else with any experience of withdrawal? I have been on and off SSRIs for 2 years mostly for 3 month per time. Then off for 8 weeks and back on. I think i have been mistaken withdrawal each time.

Has anyone had dizziness, cognitive issues, lethargy, concentration issues and recovered fully?

I had this once before after a fast taper from Sertraline and it went away after about 4 months in total.

This is from Escitalopram this time but boy was this drug powerful. Also i was at max dose on this drug.

Hi.

I just want to know has anyone got a similar story?.

2 years ago i visited a Dr and said im suffering anxiety at work only. Ok try Fluoxetine 20mg! Basically a Zombie for 10 weeks. I said im quitting and did so Cold Turkey.

Then again 3 month later back to Gp im anxious still. Ok try Sertraline. So i did for 8 weeks up to 100mg and i was a anxious Zombie with no interests. I had interests before Sertraline. So i cold turkey. My lord i was ill for 12 weeks after stopping.

Again back to Gp try Citalopram 10mg. So i did and i felt mmmm ok ish!. Increased to 20mg Zombie!. Came off cold turkey. I was ill again.

2 month later try Escitalopram and this time i thought im guna give it longer to " Kick in" ( Yeh right! ). So i started on 10mg of Escitalopram and over 2 month increased to full dose 20mg. My good days i slept but i was officially a walking, detached, day dreaming fool that could not speak to anyone and at one point could not leave the house. So after 4 month on this i stopped. Boy oh boy oh boy. Head shudders, detached, anxiety, sweats, aches, depression which i never had, brain fog, dizziness. I stayed of with a fast taper for 12 weeks but i had to return to Escitalopram at a low 5mg which took my symptoms away however made me a zombie again. So after 12 weeks i stopped with another fast taper and decided i was a Psychiatry Lab Rat. A human that my Dr was " Shooting in the dark to help". I said no more of this!!!

Im 10 weeks now of all meds again and for the first 6 weeks i had all sorts of cognitive issues, memory issues, dizziness, anxiety, confusion. Itvwas awful. Its all still there but has reduced and i am hell bent in my mind i was way way better before Psychiatric drugging. It has ruined 2 years of my life and continues. However im wiser than the corrupt big pharma and these Drs who only know how to look in the BNF and say oooh we will try this drug.

My advice like many others is stay away from Psych drugs if you can. You end up been given meds that make you worse, then get told it "YOU" thats getting worse. Its not your chemical imbalance its the chemical imbalance that the meds create.

Tc

Leo.

• Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately what you have written above is not uncommon.  We have members here who have ended up on cocktails of drugs through the negligence of the medical profession.

Altostrata, this site's founder, says that we are all an experiment where N=1.

Gwen Olsen was a pharmaceutical representative for 15 years. 

We are trained to misinform (6 minutes)

Manipulating Doctors (10 minutes)

Interview:  Confessions of an Rx Drug Pusher (51 minutes Gwen Olsen - ex pharmaceutical representative)

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Any other views would be good? Anyone elses stories.

Thanks

Most time i have been on any med is 3 months. My real troubles started after 20mg of Escitalopram for 3 month.

Should my withdrawal last less time if i have been on it months instead of years?

• Moderator Emeritus

The withdrawal time doesn't necessarily correlate with the time you were on the drug.  These drugs alter the architecture of the brain, and the time necessary to heal the brain and return to homeostasis is, unfortunately, impossible to predict.  

Are you tapering or preparing to taper the 20mg Escitalopram?  At Surviving Antidepressants, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at a more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Please include the dates of your taper and the rate at which you tapered. Please keep your signature as simple and easy to read as possible.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I cold turkey 10 weeks ago. No way am i going back to Zombie land.

Does this site have anything to do with Peter Gotsche?

• Moderator Emeritus

Not that I know of Leo. 

This is your main introduction page.  We like to keep each member to one introduction topic.

Can we get you to do a signature please?

Edited by manymoretodays

Ok.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/17/2018 at 7:55 AM, manymoretodays said:

Your symptoms sure could be W/D.  Take a look at Dr. Glenmullen's list.    Especially, if they seem worse than what you originally sought treatment for.  I wouldn't waste your time convincing any doctor of that though.  Most still believe that W/D is just a 2 week thing........anything after that they'll tell you it's your mental illness.  Or worse......put you on a benzo or antipsychotic.

If I were you, I think I would consider a small reinstatement..........we're talking about a 1 mg or 2 mg dose.  It''s not quite the same as going back on drugs.

I wish I had tried that, as it might have saved me a whole lot of recovery time.  You're in that 2 month window.  When I got here I was several months out and already on 2 medications to counteract a severe early withdrawal.

Do you have any Lexapro left?

The links explain more about reinstatement,  how you could liquify Lexapro to take a small dosage.   You would stay on that for some time........and then more carefully slowly taper off.

You could also use Citalopram, it's a related drug.

L, P, H, and growth,

mmt

On 8/17/2018 at 6:40 AM, manymoretodays said:

You may want to consider reinstatement.  Reinstatement is the only known medical treatment, that may help to alleviate  withdrawal symptoms.  

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Be aware that the dose that you would reinstate at, would be much less than the usual prescribed dosage.

Do the moderators have qualifications in withdrawal? Or self experience.

What is a signature?

• Moderator Emeritus

Signature

The link to account settings in there as well.  The same link given to you on August 17 (see above).

March 2017 - June 2017 - Sertraline 100mg. Horrific withdrawal 5 months.

• Moderator Emeritus
19 hours ago, Leo1983 said:

Do the moderators have qualifications in withdrawal? Or self experience.

Thank you Leo for doing your signature.  Well done!

The moderators here all have self experience.  And I think we all come from varied backgrounds as well. 

We're all volunteers, with work, and family commitments, going through our own withdrawal journeys.

How are you doing today? 

mmt

Started a new job today.

Full of head pressure, off balance, anxiety and headaches.

10 weeks off. Gotta keep going

I spoke to a guy today from the Bristol Tranquliser clinic. He has assured me i will heal aslong as i stay clear.

• Moderator Emeritus

Okay!!  That's nice. 

Good luck on the new job.

I'll just give you the main link to symptoms and self care  In the non-drug coping link there........there's a whole indexed list of coping skills and lot's of meditative audio or other.  Maybe you can try some of them, if you're not working directly with people.  Oh, check out Shep's Music Therapy/Music for Wellness and Healing too.......you could learn, and listen at the same time.

Also....if you are signed in.....In Off Topic there's a collection of member's picks Music......what music helps you?

Then again.....you might not like music.  B)

mmt

Do you agree i will heal manymore?

What does working directly with people have to do with music audios??

Thanks same to you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes.....I think you will and can heal.

Idk, if I was working face to face with people.........I couldn't really hear them speak, or anything if I had music headphones or earbuds in??  Don't you think it would be a little distracting or a determent to listening and hearing the ones you are serving?    Maybe you are more multifaceted than I..........I couldn't do it though.

L,P,H, and G,

mmt

i do work face to face with people.

However i can listen to the music in my spare time.

If the balance issue left me i would feel ok. Its that that bothers the most.

• Moderator Emeritus

I did have the balance thing for awhile........although, I can't quite recall at the moment if it was when totally drug free or when I was still on one.

It did resolve nearly completely.  Yoga helps me alot with balance issues. 

I'm a bit more cautious on ladders, and things like that now though.

Have a good day or evening.

I had it on Sertraline but this is far worse from Escitalopram. Brutal!

Never again will i touch 1.

The balance thing is awful. Just hope it passes.

Pleased it went for you. Its nasty.

Yeh i can see me standing on me head at 6am with me legs wrapped over my head lol. Oh and ladders are not a good idea.

Tc

Lee

• SkyBlue changed the title to Leo1983: SSRI withdrawal

Quick 1 guys after a very positive day at work whilst feeling rather crap..... The balance issue is doing my head in.

However, can i ask does the male anatomy also go back to full function once the brain connects itself back down there. Jeeee wizz what a question. 

Also what about this bloating? Belly looks like i have a wok under my top. Not a good look.

Thanks

Hi.

Think i have hit a wave..... i have been sort of ok. Im 12 weeks off Lexapro. However was on many more over a 2 year period on and off.

Does this ever go away? Im drained. Anxiety, confusion, fog, lethergy.

No use of alcohol or illicit substances.

Just hit the past 3 days.