SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Leo1983: SSRI withdrawal

Leo1983

• Moderator Emeritus

I am certain that we have already answered that, and possibly/most probably several times, and/or provided information/links to the information.

I suggest that you print out, favourite or create a document with links to the "good stuff" so that you can refer to it rather than continuing to repeat the same thing, again.

Some members put a positive spin on their waves and tell themselves that it's because their brain is working hard to working on recovery.  Like in the Twin Towers analogy.

And I am very serious about this.  I think it might help you. 

Do you have a Rubik's Cube?  If not, can you get one?  And then solve is using a Youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rubik's+cube+step+by+step+solving+tutorial

The Rubik's Cube analogy is used in this video.  If you do it in real life with a cube then it might give you something more tangible to remember and give your brain something to "latch on to" when your symptoms worsen.  And you could put the cube somewhere that you will see it to remind you.  BTW abut 25 years ago I did got my cube down to only needing two colours to go into place and without help.  I sometimes wonder if my husband switched the stickers and then switched them back without me knowing.  When I followed the YT video about 10 years ago, it was still exciting to finally get it solved.

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

On 12/27/2015 at 6:37 AM, Altostrata said:

Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are [...] to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were [...] to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and [...] to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while [...] is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks.

Appreciate the response.

Anyone elses views???

May 2016 - Aug 2016 - Prozac 20mg

March 2017 - June 2017 - Sertraline 100mg. Horrific withdrawal 5 m onths.

July 2017 - Aug 2017 - Mirtazapine 15mg. Horrific.

August 2017 - December 2017 Fluoxetine 10mg for 2 weeks ghen Escitalopram 20mg for 12 weeks. Never felt normal since this. Or baseline.

March 2018 - June 2018 - Escitalopram 5mg for 12 weeks. Stopped and here i am full of symptoms i never had.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 minute ago, Leo1983 said:

Anyone elses views???

Re-read your topic.  Read the windows and waves topic.

You are working against yourself again by continuing to ask the same question.  Again.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I was actually thanking Persistente and asking others views from her post. 

Then your informative post appeared. I only seen it after i replied to Persistente post.

My waves are always different thats why i asked others. 

August 2017 - December 2017 Fluoxetine 10mg for 2 weeks ghen Escitalopram 20mg for 12 weeks. Never felt normal since this. Or baseline.

March 2018 - June 2018 - Escitalopram 5mg for 12 weeks. Stopped and here i am full of symptoms i never had.

• Mentor
2 hours ago, Leo1983 said:

Quick question about WAVES......

Is it normal in a wave to totally change. Is it normal to turn confused, really anxious, repetitive about withdrawal, feeling dread and that you wont ever get better, loss appetite, aches and pains and just like **** in general?

When in a window i feel alot stronger mentally and more able to do things. Its like you feel your still unwell but can manage it. Then all of a sudden your just back to that walking mess. 

Very strange.

@Leo1983 this is exactly me in a wave/window, in a wave i have this chemical feeling of hopelessness and dread which is very awful

Cymbalta 30 mg- 60 mg 

06/2016-  10/2018 ( Cold Turkey) 

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Amira123 said:

Is it normal in a wave to totally change. Is it normal to turn confused, really anxious, repetitive about withdrawal, feeling dread and that you wont ever get better, loss appetite, aches and pains and just like **** in general?

Hi Leo1983,

Yes, normal in that weird Wave way.  It has happened to me.  I just have learned and know, deep inside, on some unconscious level, I suppose now, that I will bounce back, always have always will.  AND, I always figure the last one, or last tough one is the last one........ever.

Keep your chin up.  Even when it's hard to believe, it always passes, the worst Waves.  And they become much more infrequent.  And then poof.......gone forever, at least that is my expectation.

And you might remember that old adage of......when it's tough, the most healing may be happening.  When I came out of my last Wave, I really felt better, better than ever.....and not at all in any hypomanic way.  Like my old self, yet perhaps even improved on that.

Do pace yourself too, whenever you can.

And best.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hey Leo,

Noticed the email chain and I see you're still going through this. I haven't been on these parts for a while now doing my usual updates. Though, just to give you some peace of mind. Like you, I'm over the 24 month hump, and I have to say I'm in WD normal. I'm not out of it since I could have two to three week windows then get hit with a wave. It's been like this for most of 2020. 

Here are my symptoms when the wave occurs:

sudden anxiety like attacks though, not as harsh

aches and pains

Tension headaches

Slight vision issues early in the morning

sudden aggression

and still feeling a bit off balanced (Though this happens just every two to four weeks, its not the constant like it was in 2018 and 2019)

slight eating bing

hyperarousal

This occurs for two to three days, and it goes away for almost three weeks, then I get hit again, though not as harshly as it was last year or in 2018. So, I'm getting there, slowly but surely. 

Trintellix (Brintellix) 5mg - December 2015 to Mid July 2018

Vitamin C 500mgs daily January 2019 - March 30 2019 Boost my immune system through my withdrawal - Stopped

Up and Up 3 Billion Probiotics - Daily for IBS. - Stopped

Up and Up 30 Billion Probiotics - Daily for IBS. - Stopped

June 16-26 2018: C/T to take Antiviral medication for Shingles outbreak (Due to excessive stress - SSRI Poop Out). 

June 27 2018: Reinstated (5mg)

July 14 2018 last dose due to acute withdrawal symptoms. 

• Mentor

@Amira123 @Leo1983, I'm sorry to hear about your bad waves... This is a very frustrating journey... I want to ask to you if, during your journey of about two years/two years and half, your windows became more frequent and longer... In that case, I think that it's an important sign of healing but I know that, unfortunatly, the waves overwhelm us with their violence!

Take care of you! I think of you!🙏

July 2015: the 20mg citalopram for great stress begins

After two years I start tapering (slow but without medical advice) and I guess wrongly. First up to 10 mg, then 5 mg and 2 mg (liquid solution) and skips

January 2020 (I don't remember exactly the day): off citalopram (last dose 2mg).

June 2020: adrenal crash. The beginning of Hell on Earth

Current supplement:

- saffron pill (20 mg) + vit. E, omega 3 (EPA + DHA) 2g, magnesium bisglycinate 300 mg, iron , vitamin D3 (2500ui) +K7 (50 ui), vitamin C (1g) + quercitin (25 mg), theanine (as necessary).

Try meditating / mindfulness, walking every day, CBT/ACT, massage.

"E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle" ("And so we went out to see the stars again")

(Dante Alighieri, Divine Comedy , Inferno, XXXIV, 139)

Thanks for all your pleasant responses.

Much appreciated in a time of wave need lol. 

• Moderator Emeritus

One member's recent experience:

On 11/24/2020 at 11:25 PM, Kindler said:

Craving alcohol with this anxiety I'm having, it's been 2 weeks so thought sod it, fed up of suffering, a few hours of feeling "normal". 1 beer and my vision has gone funny.

Really struggling in a wave. 

All of a sudden last week, spaced out, confused, difficulty typing text, anxiety spike, just like the early days. 

Only thing changed no beer for 2 weeks. 

Just burst into tears - not like me!

Hi. 

Been prescribed Co amoxiclav antibiotics by GP.

Had a sinus infection for almost 4 weeks. Tried steroid nasal spray, rinses, inhalation etc etc. 

Not sure if i am actually in a wave or if it is the sinus issue. Sneezing alot along with all the other symptons of sinusitis. 

Anything i should know before taking them. 

Thanks.

• Mentor

I read this few days ago...

July 2015: the 20mg citalopram for great stress begins

After two years I start tapering (slow but without medical advice) and I guess wrongly. First up to 10 mg, then 5 mg and 2 mg (liquid solution) and skips

January 2020 (I don't remember exactly the day): off citalopram (last dose 2mg).

June 2020: adrenal crash. The beginning of Hell on Earth

Current supplement:

- saffron pill (20 mg) + vit. E, omega 3 (EPA + DHA) 2g, magnesium bisglycinate 300 mg, iron , vitamin D3 (2500ui) +K7 (50 ui), vitamin C (1g) + quercitin (25 mg), theanine (as necessary).

Try meditating / mindfulness, walking every day, CBT/ACT, massage.

"E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle" ("And so we went out to see the stars again")

(Dante Alighieri, Divine Comedy , Inferno, XXXIV, 139)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Please condense your drug signature by removing the blank lines.  To make the dates stand out better I suggest that you bold them.  Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Just wondering what peoples views are of the Covid Vaccine in general?

Also views of people who are going through WD?

Leo,

I always have bad reactions to flu vaccines however I get one every year since my wife is a nurse and she really pushes it.

I will be getting the COVID vaccine as soon as it’s available to me.  I’m not sure how it effects withdrawal.

Med History - 2014 - 2020 - Zoloft, Effexor, Klonopin, Lexapro, Buspar (No longer on any of these)

Went to my doctor for an annual and mentioned I was stressed, gave me Zoloft, stopped it after 3 months because it didn't do anything, ended up in withdrawal and was told I had a mental illness.  I've been diagnosed Bipolar and Clinically Depressed.  

Current Med Taper 

Lamotrigine - 25mg (May 21') -> 24mg (May 23') -> 23mg (July 23') -> 22mg (Aug 23') -> 21mg (Oct 23') -> 20mg (Dec 23')

Supplement: Magnesium, Fish Oil

Update at 31 month since CT.

I MANAGE! I am alot more able to live life. However i still struggle with symptoms and im never sure how i will feel any given day or week. 

I still cant say that i have had one day of feeling GREAT. I used to have some really great relaxed days filled with joy and exciting thoughts of the future. But i do have some ok days. 

Symptoms i still have

. I Still get anxious around other people and i never had this feeling before wd. I was the opposite.

2. Morning anxiety still hits just not as hard. I go to bed feeling ok and wake up rubbish.

3. Head/ cog fog issues. Sometimes i feel like my brain has been frozen stiff.. like a daydreamer. 

4. Anhedonia is still not great. Still i feel like i go through the motions but dont feel alot of joy in it. 

However i have made alot of improvement and i am alot better. Im just aware i still suffer. 

Hopefully the advice that people see alot of healing in year 3 rings true with me. 

It does get better VERY slowly.

I have attempted to exercise on 2 occasions the past 3 months and each time im fine doing it but a day later my anxiety ramps up, my head/brain feels stiff and i find i dream alot during sleep very vivid..

Could this mean im still not ready for running??

I am glad you are better. A lot better. You still need more time but you are getting there. 

3/2012 - sertralin 50 mg, no major side effects

1/2014 - ct sertralin 50 mg (tappered 3 weeks as doctor ordered)

7/2014 - back to sertalin 50 mg, no issues

4/2016 - ct sertralin 50 mg (tappered 3 weeks, my decision)

12/2016 - back to sertalin, major side effects from the first pill and the begginning of hell

2/2017 - mirtazepine 15 mg added for insomnia

6/2017 - stopped sertralin (2 months tapper)

9/2017 - stopped mirtazepine (3 weeks taper)

waves and windows

Im just wondering about each time i try to excercise..

• Mentor

Great update Leo, hang in there, alot of people say they turn the corner on the third year and Aeroman said he fully recoverd between year 3 and 4

Cymbalta 30 mg- 60 mg 

06/2016-  10/2018 ( Cold Turkey) 

2 hours ago, Leo1983 said:

Im just wondering about each time i try to excercise..

Try milder exercise first to see how ur body and brain reacts.

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

Anyone been feeling sort of ok and then decided to go out running and just ended up back in a wave from the exercise?

This is one of the longest most troubling ordeals to date this withdrawal.

1 hour ago, Leo1983 said:

Anyone been feeling sort of ok and then decided to go out running and just ended up back in a wave from the exercise?

This is one of the longest most troubling ordeals to date this withdrawal.

I have. Ever since I stopped the med I've had waves when I attempted to work out. 

My waves would be headaches or head pressure doing the exercise. Its being like that ever since. It's over time it's slowly lost its strength. Though I've gained weight thanks to that. Gwrr! 

Vitamin C 500mgs daily January 2019 - March 30 2019 Boost my immune system through my withdrawal - Stopped

June 16-26 2018: C/T to take Antiviral medication for Shingles outbreak (Due to excessive stress - SSRI Poop Out). 

See im fine doing the exercise.

Its a few days later, i end up with sky rocket anxiety and a heavy thick brain fog. Also lethergy. 

Just now, Leo1983 said:

See im fine doing the exercise.

Its a few days later, i end up with sky rocket anxiety and a heavy thick brain fog. Also lethergy. 

I've had few moments were I thought I was fine doing the workout, though I had wave occur a few days after. It just happens differently to sum. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I think the sensible approach would be to reduce the intensity and possibly also the length of time you exercise.  Instead of exercising strenuously once or twice a week (and enduring increased suffering in the time in between) you might find that lowering the intensity and maybe shortening the length of time and exercising more often would not make you feel as bad.

👌 As always; thankyou.

• Moderator Emeritus

You are welcome.

To me it seems like common sense, but unfortunately when it comes to ADWD sometimes common sense seems to disappear.  Have you seen my last few posts umming and ahhing about how to get off my last 0.405mg?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

Yeh seen improvement however, just not back to normal. Just wana wake up and have that nice morning feeling and look forward to the day. 

@brassmonkey @Shep  @Altostrata@ChessieCat

Hi, 

Just been in for a Gastroscopy/ Endoscopy this morning, no sedation. 

Findings - Small hiatal hernia, Duodenal ulcer and quite nasty Oesophagitis. So not really a great finding .

I have been told i must take a acid blocker of some kind. Also dietary/lifestyle changes etc. 

Can you shine a bit of your views of this?

Thanks

Lee

i m also a victim of Escitalopram . i just took it for 5 months 10 mg and ct and now here i m. i was feeling better and hit by a bad wave after taking B12. now if i stand i feel burning in whole body and anxiety gets on roof also no sleep at night time. i m very tense which also increase my anxiety. any suggestion what i should do.

2010 citanew 10mg ct after 6 monthes

2015 citanew 10mg ct after 5 to 6 monthes

April 2020 xanax .25 mg ct after 1 month

April 2020 citanew 10mg ct August 2020

several wd , insomnia, anxiety, fear, muscle spasm, weakness on left side.

My honest advice.

Put on your seatbelt and pray to god it all stops. 

Already praying. have you ever faced it what i m facing right now ? what were your wd symtoms at month 8 and 9. can you share ?

2010 citanew 10mg ct after 6 monthes

2015 citanew 10mg ct after 5 to 6 monthes

April 2020 xanax .25 mg ct after 1 month

April 2020 citanew 10mg ct August 2020

several wd , insomnia, anxiety, fear, muscle spasm, weakness on left side.

@saimshah

Time is the healer i read.

Take the information from the site and digest it all.

Please read my thread all my symptoms are there. 

I have had all your symptons at some stage during recovery and to he honest all i have been able to do is juat take each day.

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, Leo1983 said:

Findings - Small hiatal hernia, Duodenal ulcer and quite nasty Oesophagitis. So not really a great finding .

I have been told i must take a acid blocker of some kind. Also dietary/lifestyle changes etc. 

Can you shine a bit of your views of this?

SA does not counsel on general medical conditions.

that-acid-reflux-pill-may-be-causing-your-health-problems

tips-for-tapering-off-stomach-acid-blockers-or-ppis-esomeprazole-lansoprazole-omeprazole

If you do a search you might find other members with similar issues.  I suggest that you do an internet search and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.

Also, check out the Introduction topics of the members who have posted in the above topics.