Petros: I’ve been off benzodiazepines for over a year

Petros

Hi y’all. I be struggled with anxiety/depression/OCD for most of my life. My mother had abusive boyfriends and I grew up in a family devastated by addiction and disfunction. I had been on clonopin for about 5 years and Ativan for two years before that. I microtapered and finally pulled off the band aid last June. It was VERY difficult but with God’s help I did it. I want to encourage anyone who thinks there is no good and let you know you can do it. Take your time. But......you will never be “ready” each step is difficult. I most likely went a bit too fast but was done with them. I found some great healing in a Celebrate recovery program. Basically I look at Recovery/mental illness as a combination of genetic inherentance combined with behavioral reinforcement. Although I may feel like crap, I get to choose my behavior. I definitely could not have recovered without Jesus, exercise, healthy diet, and support group. I have had wonderful moments of peace and joy. I have also had moments of sadness and pain. I find purpose and meaning helping others. I have established healthy boundaries with difficult people. I have also had to cut toxic people out of my life. My goals now are to continue moving foreword and healing emotional and mental pain I picked up in childhood and throughout my life while helping others along the way. We cannot change the past and we cannot change how we were treated, but we can choose how we respond and God can turn the worst of circumstances for our good. Soooo.... if your struggling today I would like you to know that your valuable....so treat yourself like it. Life is hard enough without self guilt/condemnation/beating yourself up. Do not give up.stop worrying what others think about you.  Your emotions are lying to you. Behave based on your positive value system not you feelings. Pray and ask God for direction. God is good and wants to help. Do not base your success on absolute perfection or “total healing.”  Miracles do happen but not always in ways we expect. As strange as it sounds there are many ways I’m thankful for my struggles. It has forced me to seek answers outside myself and strive for excellence (not perfection) in areas most people never bother with. God bless you guys and don’t quit.  

Summary

1. Take your time. 

2. Magnesium malate helped a great deal. Other supplements did not

3. Microtaper was critical 

4. God is good and wants to help. 

5. There is no substitute for healthy diet and exercise

6. Stop looking for perfection because it doesn’t exist in Recovery. 

7. Set boundaries

8. Be thankful 

9. Help others along the way

10. Remember you are valuable. 

Edited by ChessieCat
moved to intro forum, changed font size
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Petros: I’ve been off benzodiazepines for over a year
  • Administrator

Welcome, Petros.

Good to hear you've come off benzos. What was your tapering schedule and method? What were your acute withdrawal symptoms? Did they go away in any pattern? How long did this take?

Have all your withdrawal symptoms gone away now?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature This will be informative to other members.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 6 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Petros, 

How are you doing?💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.