Cannabis, marijuana, hashish, THC, & CBD / cannabidiol or Hemp oil

Jonathan

CAUTION:  Possible Interaction CBD oil and OTHER DRUGS:

Lexapro (escitalopram) possible interaction with CBD oil (caution)

Important drug interactions exist between cannabidiol oil and commonly prescribed drugs in rheumatology practice

Psychiatric drugs listed:  Amitriptyline, Citalopram, Fluoxetine, Gabapentin, Mirtazapine, Paroxetine, Pregabalin, Sertraline - see the website for more information about the interaction as well as other drugs. 

Please note:  There may be other drugs not listed on this site.  Use this interaction checker and search for cannabidiol + drug name:  Medscape Drug Interaction Checker

NOTE TO MEMBERS:

For anyone considering trying any of these substances (whether legal or illegal) please read the following:

On 11/19/2020 at 11:39 AM, Altostrata said:

Aside from the questionable brain damage, we've seen cannabis products and THC can have unpredictable effects on people whose nervous systems have been sensitized by psychiatric drugs mishaps.

This is one of those "try at your own risk" things. Please be aware if your experiment goes wrong, we probably can't help except to remind you to hang on while your nervous system settles down.

Because of this, we ask people not to encourage others to experiment with cannabis products, THC, adaptogenics, nootropics, and gray market drugs. Please learn from bad experiences. If you persist in making yourself worse by taking these substances or drinking alcohol, we may ask you to leave because there's nothing we can do for people who make their own problems.

If you find any of these things help, you may be lucky but it's very unlikely you've found a cure. As I said, results are unpredictable.

Titled:  CBD(cannabidiol) oil for healing

Has anyone on this website considered taking CBD oil as a healing supplement?

Published online 2020, June 25:

The Impact of Cannabidiol on Psychiatric and Medical Conditions

This article is a systematic review of literature reviewing the available clinical data on CBD, for use in various medical and psychiatric conditions with focus on a review of the pharmacology and toxicity.

(might be helpful for some already on it, we still do not endorse the use of it for withdrawal, results are unpredictable and at your own risk, mmt)

Edited by ChessieCat
Added note to members, added link to the Cannabidiol online article/ added link to Lexapro

i use CBD patches that have greatly helped my sxs. anxiety, pain, shakes.. so grateful to live in a state that it is legal.

Currently tapering clonazepam.

They are beginning to make CBD vape pens. I had no idea that it could heal the central nervous system. 

I am off of all meds as of May 20th, 2013, after 5 weeks on Zoloft and a 4 week taper. Still experiencing: moderate anhedonia & PSSD, I am otherwise mostly healed. 

2.1 years off of medication. 

"If I walk away, don't hate me. I've got to see where the pain will take me.

I found no angels...I found myself."

• Administrator

CBD patches!!!??? Where do you get those?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

You Coloradans are so lucky.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Does CBD help things like OCD, social anxiety, and other anxiety?

-On SSRI since April 2006.
-December 2007: SSRI discontinuation and withdrawal start.
-February 2008: SSRI reinstatement... improvement, yet withdrawal symptoms remains to this day.
-Currently taking: 16mg Citalopram, 1mg Risperidone (for insomnia).
-Current issues: obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), social anxiety disorder (SAD), insomnia, exaggerated physical symptoms of anxiety, muscle fatigue, weight gain, high prolactin/low testosterone

• Moderator Emeritus

You Coloradans are so lucky.

They haven't even got the stores going yet in WA. Have no idea how long it will be. 

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Does CBD help things like OCD, social anxiety, and other anxiety?

Here is some info on the product I use. It explains what all the different types are and what they help with. :)

www.marysmedicinals.com/cannabinoid-info

Currently tapering clonazepam.

• 1 month later...

man i wish i knew how to get the cbd out of my weed! i know you can get health benefits out of juicing it and having it in tea without getting high, but i don't think you get any of the cbd

10 years on various anti-depressants

5 years Effexor xr

tappered of 150mg in 6 months

nothing for two weeks

Reinstated 15 beads for 50 days

Tappered off then clean 2-3months

gradually went back up to 13 mg 3 years

bridged fluoxetine 10mg

2 week tapper

1 year clean

reinstated 5ml dispersed fluroxatine for 6months

• 7 months later...

Mod note:  Also see topic in the media section:  Marijuana Re-shapes the Brain

Please also see this post:

3 hours ago, JanCarol said:

Please note how many of the psych drugs - "mood stabilisers," "antipsychotics," and "antidepressants" are included in this.  Taking CBD while going through withdrawal, especially during tapering, could very well alter the dose you are getting.

I was just reading about marijuana and it's possible use in treatment for several diseases. They have apparently approved it to treat PTSD in certain states. It seems safer than benzos, certainly.

I wonder what the medical establishment's response to all of this is...?

My vote, legalize it. No one is suggesting it is beneficial to smoke oneself into oblivion. But, marijuana does seem to provide some medicinal benefits without many of the dangerous side effects of so many Rx drugs. I'm not saying it is free of risk, but even so, it seems preferable to many drugs currently on the market. If used responsibly in moderation, I see no harm.

Thoughts?

If there is a topic like this somewhere, feel free to move this.

Edited by ChessieCat
mod note

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Ok, I just found CW's post about Marijuana WD symptoms...

Merge if you want. :) Sorry I was late finding the similar topic.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Nah, we can leave it here. Seeing as how someone once told me that mj 'dissolves brain cells' (idk if it does or not) i think its widespread legalization puts us in line for a world of hurt. Hope I have passed on before I am subjected to nursing home care by a 'stonie'.

BTW, we don't recommend ANY psychotropic drugs in wd or even after. Once sensitized, probably always so. How lucky do you feel? (said in my best 'Dirty Harry' voice).

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Oh no, not suggesting it for WD. That sounds like a recipe for disaster. I wouldn't touch it now. But, if I had a choice ten years ago between the AD and Benzo or marijuana, I would have gone with the marijuana. Unfortunately, that is not a choice I had available to me.

• Moderator Emeritus

LOL I'm pretty sure cannabis doesn't dissolve brain cells. Seems like that would have shown up somewhere in the literature. 

Actually, cannabis works kind of like morphine, cannabinoids bond to pre-existing receptors in the brain. In the case of morphine it's endorphins, in the case of cannabis it's endocannabinoids. 

I live in one of the states that has had medical cannabis for a long while and has recently legalized recreational use. Before that I lived in a state that legalized medical use while I was living there. Nothing changed, that I could tell, although I wasn't on chemo and didn't know anyone on chemo--I imagine things changed for those folks, in a good way.

Cannabis use is pretty common in my world, so I know realistically what it's like and don't have a lot of fears about it (I would definitely always rather be around someone smoking pot than someone drinking! drunks are rude and obnoxious and scary, stoners are just goofy and enthusiastic.)

CW I'm pretty sure legalizing pot for people over 21 is not going to mean that suddenly people are going to be stoned at their jobs (nursing homes or anywhere else), any more than alcohol being legal for people over 21 means everyone comes to work drunk. 

Problem smokers already exist, it's not that hard to get the stuff. (It's not like being illegal has made it hard to get, it's just made it impossible to control who can get it--the black market doesn't check ID.) Problem drinkers exist too. That doesn't mean everyone who likes a glass of wine with dinner is a problem drinker, and the same is true for pot.  

I personally have no problem with it or fears about it, because frankly I don't think it's going to change things much, other than sending fewer kids to prison, which I think is a good thing. 

I think it has a lot of excellent medical potential, and that's pretty exciting (especially what's coming out now from the studies on PTSD, which so far nobody has been able to help medically). And they're working on developing strains that are low in THC (the "high" cannabinoid) but higher in CBD and other therapeutic cannibinoids that don't cause a "high." So I think potentially it could be a great boon, medically.

But being the cynic I am, I expect that what's going to happen is drug companies will synthesize new, powerful drugs based on cannabinoids, that they can patent and charge lots of money for. Oh well.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

Was tongue in cheeks for me anyway, Rhi, but it did set you up for another excellent post. Interesting to find out that it has not resulted in much change in those states as far as the workplace goes. I remember in my early work years 30-40  yrs ago people drinking on the job and smoking dope too. Some things don't change.....

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

LOL I'm pretty sure cannabis doesn't dissolve brain cells. Seems like that would have shown up somewhere in the literature.

Actually, cannabis works kind of like morphine, cannabinoids bond to pre-existing receptors in the brain. In the case of morphine it's endorphins, in the case of cannabis it's endocannabinoids.

I live in one of the states that has had medical cannabis for a long while and has recently legalized recreational use. Before that I lived in a state that legalized medical use while I was living there. Nothing changed, that I could tell, although I wasn't on chemo and didn't know anyone on chemo--I imagine things changed for those folks, in a good way.

Cannabis use is pretty common in my world, so I know realistically what it's like and don't have a lot of fears about it (I would definitely always rather be around someone smoking pot than someone drinking! drunks are rude and obnoxious and scary, stoners are just goofy and enthusiastic.)

CW I'm pretty sure legalizing pot for people over 21 is not going to mean that suddenly people are going to be stoned at their jobs (nursing homes or anywhere else), any more than alcohol being legal for people over 21 means everyone comes to work drunk.

Problem smokers already exist, it's not that hard to get the stuff. (It's not like being illegal has made it hard to get, it's just made it impossible to control who can get it--the black market doesn't check ID.) Problem drinkers exist too. That doesn't mean everyone who likes a glass of wine with dinner is a problem drinker, and the same is true for pot.

I personally have no problem with it or fears about it, because frankly I don't think it's going to change things much, other than sending fewer kids to prison, which I think is a good thing.

I think it has a lot of excellent medical potential, and that's pretty exciting (especially what's coming out now from the studies on PTSD, which so far nobody has been able to help medically). And they're working on developing strains that are low in THC (the "high" cannabinoid) but higher in CBD and other therapeutic cannibinoids that don't cause a "high." So I think potentially it could be a great boon, medically.

But being the cynic I am, I expect that what's going to happen is drug companies will synthesize new, powerful drugs based on cannabinoids, that they can patent and charge lots of money for. Oh well.

Agreed. I wish I would have had the option at the time I went on AD. I def would have made a different choice had it been legal.

I have seen many benefit for medicinal purposes. I would much rather be giving my child this instead of all of the drugs this young boy was on:

https://fbcdn-video-o-a.akamaihd.net/hvideo-ak-xpa1/v/t42.1790-2/10921093_640482466056837_1314638875_n.mp4?rl=334&vabr=186&oh=516459d25fed4a5e14992befb45175e7&oe=54C45A65&__gda__=1422155806_37e37684efd3397c102d67efea63a953

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

I wish it helped withdrawals. I like marijuana. lol. I think it has great medical potential too and I'm glad it is being studied more.

I started out on zoloft 50 mg or 20mg (can't remember at that point) and was on it for a few months then decided I didn't want to take it because of the side effects so I cold turkey'd it and then was miserable and reinstated and all my symptoms went away and I felt normal. Stayed on it for a while tried lexapro 5mg for a month or two instead to see if I had less side effects. Then switched back to zoloft 20mg I think and weaned down to 6mg and jumped off too soon because it supposedly wasn't a "therapeutic dose" and was told it would be ok. Then I was going through withdrawal again so I reinstated again after about a month I switched to prozac because it's easier to wean off of supposedly. Weaned off over 9 month from 8mg Prozac. Then two months after stopping it on September 2, 2014. I went into withdrawal.

18 months off as of March 2, 2016

• Moderator Emeritus

I would really like to see what the non-THC cannabinoids can do. I don't want to spend my life high, but if I could get some help for chronic pain and PTSD without being high...well, I'd take a look at it anyway. Although after what I've learned from psych drugs I'm pretty gunshy about doing anything with neurotransmitters.

Does marijuana significantly effect neurotransmitters?

I started out on zoloft 50 mg or 20mg (can't remember at that point) and was on it for a few months then decided I didn't want to take it because of the side effects so I cold turkey'd it and then was miserable and reinstated and all my symptoms went away and I felt normal. Stayed on it for a while tried lexapro 5mg for a month or two instead to see if I had less side effects. Then switched back to zoloft 20mg I think and weaned down to 6mg and jumped off too soon because it supposedly wasn't a "therapeutic dose" and was told it would be ok. Then I was going through withdrawal again so I reinstated again after about a month I switched to prozac because it's easier to wean off of supposedly. Weaned off over 9 month from 8mg Prozac. Then two months after stopping it on September 2, 2014. I went into withdrawal.

Does marijuana significantly effect neurotransmitters?

Uhhh...ya! Lol :)

I just meant what ones I guess and what does it do to them. Lol

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Moonlite ,     Dr Lucire writes:  ...it is my experience that the population that has genetic mutations in the cytochrome P450 system...are vulnerable

to experiencing multiple toxic side effects from taking antidepressants , amphetamines and other drugs.

Cannabis causes further reduction of metabolizing capacity by inhibiting a major metabolic pathway called 3A4.

(from a letter to Mr.Russell Keith , Re Select Committee on Youth Suicides In the Northern Territory ,    28 September 2011).

Not much research available . . .

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I hate to burst y'all's bubbles, but weed damages people also. It just takes longer.

Although, honestly, these psych meds are the WORST thing I've ever seen, ever. So, weed probably would have been better for everyone here for anxiety.

Have I mentioned I hate this world?

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

I think if used in moderation, it is much much much less dangerous.

• Moderator Emeritus

As far as the actual topic of legalization is concerned, I'm in an interesting place because I live about half an hour from one legal pot store and about twenty minutes from another, and a year from now there will probably be one here in the town where I live. I live on the border of one state that has been legal for a couple of years and another one that just voted to go legal but things haven't really gotten under way yet.

It's been really interesting watching Washington go legal. Supply is catching up with demand, there are all kinds of new products being developed. It's really amazing to go into a store and pick up a package that has listed out the percentages of THCA, CBD, four other minor cannabinoids, and three terpenes, whatever those are. That was a really classy package, too, the design and graphics, very professional, would not be out of the way in any of the high priced tourist venues around here. 

It is SO fun seeing this historic process, watching this industry develop. The black market's still vigorous, of course, because the legal growers can't compete with their bulk prices. But it's continually changing. 

About legalizing, when people talk about it, the strangest thing to me is the people who say "but I don't want teenagers smoking pot." I'm like, what planet are you living on? Do you think the black market asks for ID? Do you seriously think any teenager has any trouble getting pot right now? I think it's probably easier for them to get pot than to get booze. The only hope for making it hard for teenagers to get it is to legalize it, so you can regulate and control it.

Anyway, this isn't relevant to where the discussion had gone as far as is it good or bad or whatever, but the whole process of legalizing thing: it's pretty fun to have a front seat, so early on, for such an interesting social/historical development.

• Moderator Emeritus

It's called the endocannabinoid system. There's tons of stuff on the Internet about it. It's similar to how opiates affect us by mimicking our natural endorphins. We have a natural system of cannabinoids in our brains (they call them "endocannabinoids," the ones our brains make that is) and the cannabinoids in cannabis bind to receptors in that system.

Needless to say just the words "bind to receptors" make me a little queasy after my fun times with psych drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Get ready for your state to suck.

I live where it's legal and I hate what it's done to my state's overcrowding, its economy, and cost of living. I agree with the blah, blah, blah reasons for legalization, but hate that it's happening on a state-by-state level.

Although... If it gets legalized in ANOTHER state, maybe all the morons will leave my state and go to yours.

**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged

• Moderator Emeritus

It's called the endocannabinoid system. There's tons of stuff on the Internet about it. It's similar to how opiates affect us by mimicking our natural endorphins. We have a natural system of cannabinoids in our brains (they call them "endocannabinoids," the ones our brains make that is) and the cannabinoids in cannabis bind to receptors in that system.

Needless to say just the words "bind to receptors" make me a little queasy after my fun times with psych drugs.

Emphatic agreement.

• Moderator Emeritus

Get ready for your state to suck.

I live where it's legal and I hate what it's done to my state's overcrowding, its economy, and cost of living. I agree with the blah, blah, blah reasons for legalization, but hate that it's happening on a state-by-state level.

Although... If it gets legalized in ANOTHER state, maybe all the morons will leave my state and go to yours.

Yeah, maybe having two more states where it's legal will dilute the attention a bit. And I think California's going to legalize soon too. It's taken Washington longer to get on board than Colorado so y'all really got all the attention.

What's weirdest for me about the state by state thing is that everyone's laws are different, but that might be good as far as figuring out how to make it work best I guess.

Actually the thing I like best about it being legal is all the people who won't be going to prison. We're one of the most citizen-imprisoning countries in the world. Did you know that the US has more of its population in prison than CHINA for crying out loud? Not per capita, total numbers! Even though China has ten times our population! And they're not exactly big on due process.

Then again having people in prison is expensive and of course it's a for-profit business here with the privatized prison system. Speaking of experiments, living in a country that's run by corporations and a few incredibly wealthy individuals--I'm not exactly thrilled with how that's turning out. 

I read on erowid.com that pot and Effexor should not be mixed. This is just based on self-reports of people who tried it. If that is the case, it merits investigation. Seems to me that any psych med could interact with marijuana, and that eventually the patient inserts should say something about that, as they often do regarding alcohol.

I have a medical card and use pot to help me sleep. It does help, right before bed. Using it right before bed means it doesn't disrupt the day. I don't notice any diminished capability in the day. When I found some Lunesta a few months ago and started using it, I kept messing up my class work and having to redo things, sometimes twice. It was very obvious I was impaired. It got better when I ran out of the old Lunesta. I won't seek any more, for obvious reasons. It's a psych drug of sorts. Desperate for sleep, I tried it, and it did induce sleep, but not in a useful way for me.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

In my experimentation with marijuana, it left me in the prodrome phase of schizophrenia. It was progressing at a rapid pace and I'm glad I got out when I did.

It is pretty well known that the earlier one starts smoking marijuana, the higher the risk of developing psychosis. I don't think any citation is needed for this.

Since keeping marijuana away from teenagers should, in my opinion, be societies primary goal, I will add this:

It was much easier to obtain marijuana at my high school than tobacco or alcohol. Everyone knew who sold dope, but getting an adult to buy you alcohol or messing around with fake identification was always more difficult than obtaining marijuana. There were no dealers of alcohol or cigarettes.

I believe that marijuana should be legalized, but it should be controlled as well, and not just subject to a free for all. I think that legalization, if done correctly, may actually reduce teen pot use.

April / 2016: Cipralex 10 mg, Mirtazapine 30 mg, Lyrica 600 mg, Diazepam 20 mg, Bystolic 5 mg

2018: Lots of polypharmacy which is undocumented here. Started and stopped several drugs and changed doses of existing ones

August / 2018: Back on track! Cipralex 15 mg, Mirtazapine 7.5 mg, Diazepam 15 mg

September 2018: Cipralex 15 mg -> 12.5 mg

October 2018: Cipralex 12.5 mg -> 10 mg, Mirtazapine 7.5 mg -> 3.75 mg -> Stopped, Diazepam 15 mg

November 2019: Cipralex 5 mg, Diazepam 10 mg

I grew up on the beach, and it was probably a bigger part of the culture there than in other areas. But, I never knew anyone having trouble with psychosis per se. If they had smoked entirely too much they may get paranoind for a bit. But, that is the worst case scenario I've ever witnessed.

• Moderator Emeritus

In my experimentation with marijuana, it left me in the prodrome phase of schizophrenia. It was progressing at a rapid pace and I'm glad I got out when I did.

It is pretty well known that the earlier one starts smoking marijuana, the higher the risk of developing psychosis. I don't think any citation is needed for this.

Well, I'd like a citation, because I've done a bit of reading in the literature and had never heard this before. If it's true, it's something that needs to be explored. 

There are a lot of "facts" out there about cannabis that, when you examine the actual "study," turn out to be based on pretty suspect information, usually just a correlation based on a small cohort and never corrected for other factors. Given that I've never heard of this before I suspect it might not be a well-established finding based on reliable studies. If it is I've clearly missed it! and I'd like to know.

• Moderator Emeritus

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy