SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Wellbutrinsucks: adverse reaction gone wrong

Wellbutrinsucks

Hey everyone,

I’m 27 years old and have had a really hard time since having an adverse reaction to several drugs last year. I started 300 mg Wellbutrin SR in October 2016 and stopped in December 2016 since I was going home for winter break for grad school. I had some chest pain for that month, but other than that, I was fine and I resumed in January 2017.

Still finding it incredibly hard to concentrate, I went home to my primary care doc and he prescribed me Adderall (forgot the dosage, but was relatively low). I took Adderall for about 9 days in March 2017 until I found it wasn’t working  so I stopped until I could see my primary care doctor again.

I went home again in April 2017 to see my doctor again and he then gave me Ritalin. I took Ritalin for about a week until I started having serious sucidal thoughts, so my doctor advised me to stop it. I was then drug-free for about 6 weeks until I took Wellbutrin again in June, but this time it was a different formulation (2 150 mg pills instead of 1 300 mg pill, and I believe it changed from SR to XL). I became really nervous being outside, which wasn’t uncommon for me since I hate the summer heat and the bugs that come with it. But it gave me such intense anxiety that I couldn’t even walk outside for most of the week and was sent into a panic when I had to go outside.

The following week is when disaster struck. Previously my doctor had suggested to take both Adderall/Ritalin and Wellbutrin at the same time, since he didn’t want to change more than one variable at the same time. But my provider at school said it would be fine to just take the stimulants prescribed so I went with the school provider since he had been overseeing my psych med care anyways. The morning before I took all 3 meds together, I had the worst back/neck pain I’d ever had and attributed it to falling off my pillow. I later took Wellbutrin, Adderall, and Hydrochlorothiazide (for high blood pressure) together and a few hours later, my hands and feet became numb. Just thinking it was a temporary side-effect, I took the same drugs the next day, where the numbness and tingling got worse and after speaking with a pharmacist, decided to go the ER.

At the ER, they didn’t think it was really anything serious and told me to just stop taking the medications and that the effects would stop in a few days. Except that they didn’t. Over the next 6-7 weeks, from mid-June to early August 2017, I had numbness, tingling, internal shakes, tremors, eye problems like floaters, and was so uncoordinated that I continued bumping into and dropping things. I had to go to the ER 3 more times within that same period, and each time the doctors didn’t do anything. At about 6 weeks, I started to clear up and eventually all my symptoms disappeared in time for school to start. But that would also be short-lived.

During the first week of September, I got sick again, thinking it was a cold and was put on allergy medication, which I took for two days and all the symptoms from the summer returned, and I eventually got so sick that I had diarrhea and felt like I was going to faint, so I was placed on propranolol until I stopped CT in January. From September to October 2017, I had all the symptoms from before, plus sleeping issues, rashes, and soreness. I was so sick that I left school for this period of time and went home to see countless doctors, none of whom believed it was medication-related. At home, I developed hypnic jerks that woke me from my sleep as well.

In October 2017, right before I returned to school, I started getting muscle twitching and burning, which has honestly been the most concerning symptom in this whole thing. The twitching persisted for about a month, then stopped in November. But then it came back again in mid-December 2017 and got progressively worse until the end of March 2018. When it started again in December, an ER doctor put me on Ativan for a few days and then I was put on Zoloft which I took for about a month until the end of January 2018.

The twitching reached its peak and then stopped completely by the end of March 2018. It then came back in May 2018 but instead of having its more predictable pattern, it has been more severe some days and much less severe on other days. I’ve also started to get some of the symptoms I thought I was over back again, like the numbness when I wake up or the eye problems like seeing sparkles of light, eye floaters, and eye twitching. I’m just so worried about this twitching thing because it makes it so hard to sit down, meaning I won’t be able to continue pursuing my dreams. I also thought it’d be gone by now since I’ve had periods where this has completely disappeared. What can I do to treat this? 

March 2016: Strattera

June 2016: Nothing

October 2016-April 2017:Wellbutrin SR

Mid-March 2017-March 2017 Adderall (9 days)

April 2017: Wellbutrin and Ritalin (7 days)

Mid-April to mid-June: nothing 

early June 2017: Wellbutrin XL

mid-June 2017: Wellbutrin XL, Adderall, and Hydrochlorothiazide (blood pressure); took for two days

Late August: Allegra for two days, then Propranolol

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wellbutrinsucks

• WiggleIt

• Altostrata

• Carmie

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Wellbutrinsucks, welcome to SA.  I'm sorry to hear that you have had such a bad time with adverse reactions to meds.  Unfortunately, as you've discovered, many doctors are clueless about it.

Please create a signature containing a summary of your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  Your signature appears below every post you make, and helps us see your situation easily without having to read from the top every time.   You could look at my signature for an example.  Instructions for creating your signature are here: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.  You can edit your signature here: edit your signature in Account Settings.

To answer your question, I don't think there is much that can be done to treat symptoms from adverse reactions.  When people take other meds to try to treat symptoms, it usually doesn't work and often makes things worse.  The best treatments seem to be time, patience, a healthy lifestyle, and non-med coping skills. 

As your system seems to be extremely sensitive to meds, you may need to avoid all meds (even OTC) as much as possible.  Do you know what was in the allergy meds you reacted to?  It's also a good idea to be very gentle with your system.  Avoid caffeine and alcohol, and try to reduce stress in your life as much as you can.

Please post all your updates and questions about your situation here in your introduction topic, and we will try to help you as best we can.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

Thanks Songbird. I think it may have been sulfahydryl or something that I reacted to. But in hindsight, I don’t think I was getting an allergy, though there were many people getting hay fever around me. I now just think it was another part of my withdrawal, and regardless I would’ve become sick. 

It’s just weird because I’ve been to so many doctors, and they’d all say I was normal for tests and stuff, which is great on one hand, but very confusing on the other. It’s like in withdrawal, many of the tests you take come back normal, but you’re still sick, which makes it very difficult for a doctor to treat you.

My main concern is this muscle twitching that has gone on for 7 of the last 9 months (since October 2017). I want to believe that it will go away, but it just makes me sad that it keeps coming back.

mid-June 2017: Wellbutrin XL, Adderall, and Hydrochlorothiazide (blood pressure); took for two days

• Administrator

Welcome, Wellbutrinsucks.

On 8/23/2018 at 4:14 AM, Wellbutrinsucks said:

The morning before I took all 3 meds together, I had the worst back/neck pain I’d ever had and attributed it to falling off my pillow. I later took Wellbutrin, Adderall, and Hydrochlorothiazide (for high blood pressure)

How is it you had all of these drugs on hand?

It's pretty clear that you had a drug-drug reaction or an excessive dosage (probably of the amphetamine analogs). As we see here when people go off psychiatric drugs too fast, it can take many months for the nervous system to recover from a bad reaction, withdrawal or otherwise.

You've also been on and off psychiatric drugs, particularly the stimulants, many times. What we've found is this kind of history is stressful on the nervous system, causing it to be hyper-sensitive to drugs, supplements, and even foods.

You would be wise to let your nervous system settle down without additional drugs if you can. Be sure to get at least a half-hour of gentle exercise, such as walking, daily. This helps the nervous system re-regulate.

If I were you, I'd be very, very wary of taking any psychiatric drug ever again. Also, avoid alcohol and recreational drugs, they can upset your nervous system more.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Magnesium in particular can help relax muscles. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks Altostrata. I had all those drugs because my provider at school told me to keep all of those drugs on-hand, just in case I’d need them for later. He didn’t think I was on the drugs long enough for them to even get into my system properly, so he wanted me to save them just in case I wanted to get on them later. 

I checked online and I did have a drug-drug interaction, but it certainly shouldn’t have lasted this long, but it has. 

I haven’t been on anything since January and although I don’t want to try any harsh psychotropic drugs, I’m afraid I may have to because this muscle twitching has gone on for so long that I can’t sit down without twitching and it’s affecting every part of my day. 

I read about those supplements and started the Omega-3 fish oil capsules. Does anyone know how long I should take the Omega-3 fish oil and magnesium before I should expect to see an effect?

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 4 weeks later...

My main symptom is muscle twitches and the magnesium that I tried seemed to really put my nervous system on edge. The fish oil has seemed to be a little effective so far.

For those who’ve had muscle twitches, how long did they last? Mine started in October of last year and I’ve had them for the last 9 of 11 months. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I've moved the new topic you created to an existing discussion which you can find here:

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 1 month later...

Has anyone’s muscle twitches stopped? They’ve been going on for the last year on and off and for the last 6 months continuously. Please help, I’m really desperate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Wellbutrinsucks, 

Im sorry you’re getting such bad muscle twitches. I’ve only had them on n off. People have all sorts of symptoms in withdrawals as pretty much everything is connected to the Central Nervous System which is affected. I’m afraid there is no escaping getting symptoms of some kind. I see you’ve had lots of drug reactions too, your poor body is trying to find some kind of homeostasis.

Your body will eventually heal. We all heal from withdrawals but it just takes a long time Im afraid. We will get there in the end though.

As regards the magnesium maybe try a different kind. Do you just take it once a day? A lot of people on this site find it more beneficial if they put it in water n sip on it throughout the day.

Do you drink coffee or alcohol? If you do, please taper slowly off it because that will make your symptoms worse, it will make withdrawals worse. 

Sending hugs🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Thanks @Carmie. I’ve tried two different magnesium pills, but they just over-activated my nervous system. The Omega-3 supplements tend to help some. And I’m not a regular coffee or alcohol drinker, so that’s not having any affect on me.

It’s just weird because it was the last symptom to develop and the one that has lasted the longest. I feel like someone chose the one thing I feared the most and made sure I experienced it in withdrawal. 

I don’t have any advice, but I feel you—I had a horrible experience with Wellbutrin that landed me in the ER. No twitches, but my body felt like it had a life of its own.  Strength & love.

1999 on BCPs. 2000-2006 on and off Celexa & Lexapro.

2006 a stint on Wellbutrin, Prozac, Klonopin, ending in medical emergency

2006-2017 on and off Celexa & Lexapro; since 2010, therapy, DBT, mindfulness meditation, exercise, plant-based diet

Began taper off Lexapro Fall 2016 30 > 20 mg over two months (easy) ;  20 > 15 mg over two months (easy) ; 15 > 10 mg over two months (easy)

(Discontinued BCPs, huge lift in mood, drive)

10 > 5 mgs  over two months (easy) ; 5 mgs for 5 days (easy); 2.5 mgs for 5 days (flu-like symptoms began)

0 mgs 8/21-8/30, experienced debilitating vertigo, nausea, headaches, diarrhea, ear ringing, diarrhea, sensitivity to sound, head pressure, brain zaps; could no longer work/drive.

8/30 reinstated 2.5 mg Lexapro; relief within hours, symptoms much more manageable. 9/2 started omega supplement.

• 1 month later...

Is it common for people to have just one symptom to persist? I feel like, for the most part, that the muscle twitching is the only symptom I have.

• 2 weeks later...

@Carmie 

Hey Carmie. Do you still have muscle twitching? I still do, and it’s been over a year. I also got a B12 shot and now my symptoms are worse. It’s like my muscles do little jerks at the same time. I don’t know what to do, I just keep getting worse. And I only took this drug combo twice, smh.

It’s just so frustrating because I haven’t taken that combo of drugs since June 2017. And now I have whole limbs moving. This is awful. I have symptoms that people who’ve taken these drugs for years have. I just can’t take it anymore.

• Moderator Emeritus
11 minutes ago, Wellbutrinsucks said:

It’s just so frustrating because I haven’t taken that combo of drugs since June 2017. And now I have whole limbs moving. This is awful. I have symptoms that people who’ve taken these drugs for years have. I just can’t take it anymore.

Hi Wellbutrinsucks, 

I’m really struggling to think, but I appreciate you putting your symptoms in your thread. Thanks for your PM. Yes, I still get muscle jerking, but not that often. When I take my Seroquel every night I get tingling sensations in my body. It’s NOT withdrawals, it’s the actual medication.

I will report the whole limbs moving to the other mods. I’m soooooo sorry you are going through this. I can barely think straight at the moment. Sending hugs🤗🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Moderator Emeritus

P.s.Probably not a good idea to take vitamin B as it can ramp up symptoms.💚

• Administrator

Hello, Wellbutrinsucks.

What limbs are moving, how often, any particular time of day? Any other withdrawal-type symptoms?

How much fish oil are you taking? Did you try magnesium citrate powder in water, sipped throughout the day?

All of them move to some extent, especially when trying to fall asleep.Now I feel like groups of my muscles move at the same time as opposed to the regular muscle twitching, which has also gotten worse. The only withdrawal symptoms I’ve had for months for the most part is muscle twitching and now this slight jerking again.

im taking about 1000 mg of fish oil. I have taken more before (closer to 3000 mg), and it was helpful, but at some point it made the twitching worse. I haven’t tried the magnesium citrate yet. I did have some magnesium several months ago, and both immediately made the twitching worse, so I stopped it. It’s like everything makes it worse.

• Administrator

Not sure what kind of fish oil you're taking, but generally a good dose for our purposes is two big gelcaps 3 times a day -- 6 of them a day. Sometimes even more.

Magnesium citrate or glycinate is best taken in small doses throughout the day, never one large dose, that's wasted.

What do you do for exercise?

I’m taking Spring Valley Omega-3 supplements. I tried some fancy omega-3s from a vitamin shop, but it really activated my system.

I don’t do much for exercise as I broke my ankle several years ago and it’s been very swollen lately. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of someone who had muscle twitches for this long that have gone away? It’s been over a year on and off with this symptom specifically and has now gone on for 8 months straight.

• Administrator

Muscle twitches can be a transitory withdrawal symptom that dissipate over months. Please do not catastrophize over something that may go away gradually.

Do they always happen at night? At night, which limbs are twitching?

If your leg muscles are twitching, you may need to do stretching exercises, which you may have been skipping because of your ankle injury.

(Swollen is not good, have you seen an orthopedist for this?)

Acupuncture, chiropractic, massage, and osteopathic manipulation therapy can help (if you can find an osteopath who does it).

On 1/13/2019 at 1:43 PM, Altostrata said:

Did you try magnesium citrate powder in water, sipped throughout the day?

Magnesium can relax muscles. If you sip it, you're taking a little at time. This is the best way to take magnesium.

You can also get magnesium oil to rub on your skin. This can relax the muscles that are jumping.

For what condition were all those amphetamine analogs prescribed?

Yes the twitching always happens at night. It also happenes during the day as well.

Since the B12 shot, different limbs have been moving several times a week. It could be an arm or a leg or a foot jerk. There’s no real pattern to it.

I did see my orthopedic doctor for some pain on my ankle, but it wasn’t swollen at the time. It’s been my leg that’s been swollen as opposed to my ankle. My neurologist prescribed me propranolol for high blood pressure since I’ve taken it before, but given all my issues I don’t want to take anything unless I absolutely have to. 

I’m thinking about seeing a DO (osteopathic) doctor at some point. Right now my care is being managed by an integrative doctor. 

I’m so afraid of magnesium because when I took it, it gave me a very similar reaction to the B12 shot, just much less worse. So I’m weary of trying anything as the B12 made me that much worse. And I’ll try the magnesium oil to see if it helps. 

They were prescribed for possible ADHD and depression. The depression was related to the fact I couldn’t concentrate and my grades were failing. I was told to keep the meds and that I could take both together. What a mistake that was.

And then I’ve realized that the medications I was taking didn’t mix together, especially since I’ve been asked why I had two amphetamine analogs at the same time. So essentially I did this to myself based on a one-off comment from my provider. Had someone taken me seriously when this first happened, I probably wouldn’t be in this mess. They just said stop taking the medications and you’ll be fine and 20 months later we all know that’s a lie.

I just feel like I’ve ruined my system over a drug interaction that could’ve been avoided had I not been prescribed both Wellbutrin and Adderall simultaneously. This really sucks.

• Administrator

Hi, I moved your post here.

You'll have to "change the channel" from that self-blame. Everyone here did what they thought was best, usually at the advice of a doctor. Going on and on about it is like hitting yourself over the head over and over. Please stop this.

If the pattern of twitching is changing, it's likely it's a withdrawal symptom and not a true tardive dyskinesia. Withdrawal symptoms change all the time, they might come in waves, and morph into other symptoms.

If you can find an osteopath who does manual therapy, I highly recommend trying it.

On 1/13/2019 at 1:43 PM, Altostrata said:

How much fish oil are you taking? Did you try magnesium citrate powder in water, sipped throughout the day?

The fish oil helps restore neurological functioning, the magnesium relaxes muscles and can be calming.

Before you took psychiatric drugs, did you worry a lot? Was worrying causing you to be inattentive?

No not at all. I just had a very hard time in school and I’ve always had trouble learning material in a certain amount of time. But once I got to grad school, it just became too much and I couldn’t understand why I both couldn’t learn a large amount of material in sufficient time and that I had problems concentrating. 

And it’s funny because I took fish oil tablets and they made the twitching worse, and I take Omega-3 and a multivitamin which I thought was working but now I really find no benefit to taking them. Magnesium and I do not get along. I may try the magnesium oil, but the actual pills were a no-go and after the terrible reaction to the B12 shot, I’m weary of taking magnesium again as I don’t want another similar reaction to the B12 shot.

Hi There 

Stretching before bed really helps reduce the intensity of my twitches. 

I am also going to try the magnesium oil and possibly acupuncture once I can find a good practitioner. Have you noticed your twitching gets worse when you are under stress?  Mine most certainly increas in intensity when I’m upset or stressed. 

Current Dose

0.5mcg Clonidine and 1.25 Diazepam PRN for treatment of iatrogenic hypertension. 

2010 .Prescribed Pristiq 100 mg in July by GP

2010 .Reduced to 50mg by splitting and weighing. Held at 50mg

2014. Reduced from 50-35 .Held at 35mg. 

2017. Taper from 35mg commenced using compounded Desvenlafaxine

2018. 23/06 13.5mg. 21/07  12.5mg. 25/08 11.5mg. 09/2018 10mg. 14/11 11mg (updose) 21/11 -12mg (updose)

2019. Still holding at 12mg and stuck. 

2020. January 2019 Prozac Bridge-- Prozac 2.5 to 10mg and

Pristiq 23rd Jan 6mg/ 27th Jan 5mg/ 28th Jan 3mg/ 30 Jan 0

Prozac 6th Feb 9.5mg. Vitamin D3 5000iu with K2

Magnesium Glycinate with Glycine and Passionflower  600mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Wellbutrinsucks, 

You said that you and magnesium don’t get along. I was just curious what happens when you take magnesium?

Hope you’re coping okay.💚

@Andie I don’t think it increases markedly when I’m stressed. Ironically this is the only issue that I’m stressed about. I’m gonna try the magnesium oil and hope it works. And I might try stretching too; I had a musculoskeletal doctor show me different stretches and didn’t think they were gonna be beneficial, but maybe they actually will be, so I might try them again.

@Carmie When I take magnesium, I start twitching more intensely and frequently, and it can occur almost immediately or within 30 minutes or so. My doctor said that if you have normal magnesium levels and take a magnesium supplement that it can cause twitching, and strangely enough the B12 supplements and shots gave me that same reaction.

I’m also starting to get ringing in my ears again. It’s only in my left ear so far, but the sound is very high pitched and is occurring more frequently. I hope I don’t have tinnitus for the rest of my life. Ugh I knew 2019 was gonna suck.

At one point I thought I was improving, but I guess I’m not. It’s just deteriorating every single day. I wish this twitching would stop; it’s been nine months straight already. Now tinnitus is becoming a problem. I’m losing all hope that this will ever get better and really regret the day that this all happened. Goodbye hopes and dreams of having my own family or a successful career; all I see is sadness in front of me.

On 8/25/2018 at 2:42 AM, Songbird said:

Hi Wellbutrinsucks, welcome to SA.  I'm sorry to hear that you have had such a bad time with adverse reactions to meds.  Unfortunately, as you've discovered, many doctors are clueless about it.

Please create a signature containing a summary of your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  Your signature appears below every post you make, and helps us see your situation easily without having to read from the top every time.   You could look at my signature for an example.  Instructions for creating your signature are here: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.  You can edit your signature here: edit your signature in Account Settings.

To answer your question, I don't think there is much that can be done to treat symptoms from adverse reactions.  When people take other meds to try to treat symptoms, it usually doesn't work and often makes things worse.  The best treatments seem to be time, patience, a healthy lifestyle, and non-med coping skills. 

As your system seems to be extremely sensitive to meds, you may need to avoid all meds (even OTC) as much as possible.  Do you know what was in the allergy meds you reacted to?  It's also a good idea to be very gentle with your system.  Avoid caffeine and alcohol, and try to reduce stress in your life as much as you can.

Please post all your updates and questions about your situation here in your introduction topic, and we will try to help you as best we can.

Songbird...that was a beautiful and compassionate way of saying 'hello'.  I really feel for Wellbutrinsucks!  I'm beginning my taper off of Wellbutrin which I have taken for 20 years.  Wellbutrin, welcome to the site and if I can help you in any way, I must certainly will. 

River's 20-year Drug History (1999 - 2018 Wellbutrin):

Dec 2018 -  300 mg SR Wellbutrin tablet once per day.  Started tapering process by replacing the 300 mg SR dosage with 150 mg SR, taken twice a day, having a 12-hour window between dosages.  Initial holding period was 30 days.

Jan 2019 - Replaced the sustain release form of Wellbutrin with immediate release. 150 mg IR Wellbutrin twice a day with a 12-hour window between dosages. Holding period was ten days. Start decreasing dosage: 150 mg IR (mornings) + 138 mg IR(evenings) with a  12-hour window, hold for ten days. 

Feb 2019 - Start decreasing dosage: 125 mg IR (mornings) + 125 mg IR(evenings) with a 12-hour window, hold until symptoms abate.  

Thinking of you @Wellbutrinsucks. I am having a flare of twitches etc at the moment so I empathise with everything you are going through. I regret taking the meds which keeps me thinking about the past and worry about what my future will be like and if I’ll ever be rid of these symptoms and general feelings of anxiety. It’s a vicious cycle And it robs us of the precious energy we need for healing. It’s hard and I’m also a work in progress reminding myself of this. 

It’s really hard but we do need to try to take each day as it comes.  I had a whooshing sound in my left ear for years and it literally just one day disappeared one day.

Current Dose

0.5mcg Clonidine and 1.25 Diazepam PRN for treatment of iatrogenic hypertension. 

2010 .Prescribed Pristiq 100 mg in July by GP

2010 .Reduced to 50mg by splitting and weighing. Held at 50mg

2014. Reduced from 50-35 .Held at 35mg. 

2017. Taper from 35mg commenced using compounded Desvenlafaxine

2018. 23/06 13.5mg. 21/07  12.5mg. 25/08 11.5mg. 09/2018 10mg. 14/11 11mg (updose) 21/11 -12mg (updose)

2019. Still holding at 12mg and stuck. 

2020. January 2019 Prozac Bridge-- Prozac 2.5 to 10mg and

Pristiq 23rd Jan 6mg/ 27th Jan 5mg/ 28th Jan 3mg/ 30 Jan 0

Prozac 6th Feb 9.5mg. Vitamin D3 5000iu with K2

Magnesium Glycinate with Glycine and Passionflower  600mg 

This twitching this is crazy though. I haven’t really heard of anybody having it as long as I have. I just want it to go away, and for it to go away now. I’d be fine if it wasn’t for this one major thing.

• Administrator
On 2/14/2019 at 6:40 AM, Wellbutrinsucks said:

I haven’t really heard of anybody having it as long as I have.

Please stop this, this thinking is based on nothing. There have been people with much more severe symptom patterns over much longer periods of time with no intermissions at all.

Perhaps Cognitive Behavior Therapy might help your persistent negative rumination?

The variability in your symptoms indicates your nervous system has periods of relative stability. This is a good sign.

If you haven't instituted a regimen of daily stretching and at least a half-hour of other gentle exercise in favor of worrying, you're working against yourself. Do you sit at the computer a lot? This could be contributing greatly to your symptoms. Please get stretching right away.