Setu: Doxepin taper, withdrawing. Supplements?

Setu

I have been on 100 mg Doxepin more or less for 18 years treating insomnia. It has suppressed my adrenals enough that it could be contributing to Adrenal Fatigue but even on a sllllloooooowww taper (currently at 90 mg over course of 3 months), my system goes ballistic and I cannot sleep unless I increase my dose or am so zonked from not sleeping well that I get a good night in.

Has anyone taken supplements or other medication to help with the taper?

supplements I have tried but have had digestive of excitatory side effects: Seriphos (cortisol manager), L Theanine, 5 HTP, Melatonin, Magnesium,  Hemp Sourced CBD oil). Melatonin was good but brought on depression. Most of these would have done the trick save for my tummy so perhaps this list will help someone else!

• ChessieCat changed the title to Setu: Doxepin taper, withdrawing. Supplements?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Setu,

Welcome to SA.

How long had you been on Doxepin? Please help us out by creating a drug signature using these instructions: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/18343-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Generally, tapering and withdrawing from psych drugs makes people very, very sensitive to supplements. Many people can't tolerate supplements at all while in withdrawal. 

The only two supplements we really recommend (and they may not work for everyone) are fish oil, and magnesium.

How much magnesium are you taking? Perhaps a lower dose would be beneficial. As you may know, magnesium comes in powder form (Natural Calm is one, but there are others) that will dissolve in water and a person could sip a very small amount throughout the day and work up from there. Here is the magnesium thread: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Insomnia is very common in withdrawal. Here is a thread with support and information: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/53-tips-to-help-sleep-so-many-of-us-have-that-awful-withdrawal-insomnia/

Again, welcome.

Edited by SkyBlue
delete extra spaces

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

On 8/25/2018 at 12:04 PM, Setu said:

I have been on 100 mg Doxepin more or less for 18 years treating insomnia. It has suppressed my adrenals enough that it could be contributing to Adrenal Fatigue but even on a sllllloooooowww taper (currently at 90 mg over course of 3 months), my system goes ballistic and I cannot sleep unless I increase my dose or am so zonked from not sleeping well that I get a good night in.

Has anyone taken supplements or other medication to help with the taper?

supplements I have tried but have had digestive of excitatory side effects: Seriphos (cortisol manager), L Theanine, 5 HTP, Melatonin, Magnesium,  Hemp Sourced CBD oil). Melatonin was good but brought on depression. Most of these would have done the trick save for my tummy so perhaps this list will help someone else!

Hi Setu. I’m tapering from the same drug. It’s called Dothiepin in the UK.. Not too many of us on this now. It’s obviously one of the older ,tricyclics and I don’t think that they are prescribed much any more, so it’s great for me to find someone withdrawing from the same drug. 

I feel your pain, I’ve been on 75mgs for the last 25 years. Withdrawing is proving very difficult. It is changeable though. Sometimes almost unbearable, sometimes not too bad. I never know what I will get. This siite is helping me enormously. Dothiepin sedated me. It calmed me, helped me to sleep etc. So when I taper my whole body seems wired. Sleep all over the place, feeling anxious all the time etc but after a while it seems to calm down. The thing is though, when I adjust to the lower dose, I absolutely love the extra energy and my joints don’t ache like they did and I don’t want to sleep for 2 hours every afternoon.  So lots of positives to get me through the horrors when they come. 

I feel like I have been living in a sort of box for years . I believed that I had to take ad’s to control my chemical imbalance. I don’t believe that any more. As for supplements, I seem to be super sensitive. I tried Curcumin the other day and my anxiety went through the roof !!!!! That was 3 days ago and I’m just calming down again.  It could be a sulphur intolerance or it could be just supplements in general. I m going to try Omega3 because it is recommended on here but if I get a bad reaction off that , I will just give up on supplements for now.

Good luck. I’m new to this but if I was going to give you any advice it would be to use this site !!! You will find all sorts of info., support, encouragement etc.

Steve

Dosulepin 75 mgs per night since 1993.           Dosulepin March 16  2018   75mgs and 50 mgs alternate nights.             Dosulepin. March 30. 2018.  50 mgs per night

Dosulepin. May 2. 2018. 50mgs and 25 mgs alternate nights

Dosulepin. May 27 2018. 50 mgs per night ( increased )

Dosulepin. July 11 2018. 45 mgs per night

Dosulepin. August 13 2018  40 mgs per night

Dosulepin  October 10 2018. 37.5 mgs per night

Dosulepin. October. 24 2018. 35 mgs per night

Dosulepin. December 5 2018. 32.5 mgs per night

Dosulepin.  January 2. 2018  30mgs per night   February 14 2018  29 mgs per night

Dosulepin February 27  28 mgs per night