Mumma: Withdrawal from Saphris

Mumma

Hi, I’m new to this page. I’m currently going through an awful withdrawal from Saphris. I’m hoping to share my story to help others but I’d really love to hear from anyone who has successfully come off Saphris and have their life back! How long did your withdrawal take? Some days I lose hope that withdrawal symptoms will improve. 

I was taking 5mg Saphris daily for 12mths, for suspected bipolar 2 (rapidly cycling mood disorder post natal). With the support of my psychiatrist I tapered off a quarter of a 5mg tab at a time, every 10-14 days. In hindsight I realise I could have tapered more slowly. I took my last dose 3 months ago. I know my symptoms are from withdrawal as they are completely different to the original symptoms I had prior to starting Saphris. I now have extreme anxiety, and a panic feeling. Decision making is so hard, and I’m panicked about everything. I find it hard to sleep properly, or to get back to sleep once I wake up during the night. But no more cycling mood disorder which is great! I’m seeing a psychologist to talk, a naturopath is helping to give me dietary, supplement and herbal support (which I’ve found to be very helpful!) and now I’m hoping to hear from anyone who has been through this process and come out the other side. Thank you so much!

After the birth of my second child I became highly anxious, and cycled between being suicidal, and very energised. 

- GP prescribed citalopram, which I took for 12mths. 

I still felt sometimes terrible and sometimes very energised. Went to psychiatrist, who recommended a wash out (no meds for two months) for diagnostic purposes. I was at my worst. Anxious, suicidal every few days, with days of high energy in between. Diagnosed bipolar 2, rapidly cycling mood disorder plus anxiety. 

- started on 5mg Saphris (Asenapine, an AP) 

- few weeks later started on 20mg fluoxetine also.

I Hated how I felt on Saphris. A little dead on the inside, drowsy most of the day, emotionless. 

- weaned off fluoxetine after one year of taking it

-weaned off Saphris over approx one month, after taking it for more than a year

- 1 month of awful anxiety, erratic short mood swings, trouble sleeping, flu symptoms 

- 2 months still terrible anxiety and some trouble with sleep

Im hoping to connect with others who have made it through Saphris withdrawal, as I’m only 3 months medication-free. 

Now I’m not taking any medication 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Mumma: Withdrawal from Saphris

Hi all,

Has anyone been through Saphris withdrawal and come out the other side? How long did it take? I’m 3 months into withdrawal and although my symptoms aren’t as bad as they first were, they’re still quite intense. I’m hoping to hear some success stories! Thx

Edited by ChessieCat
moved from success forum

After the birth of my second child I became highly anxious, and cycled between being suicidal, and very energised. 

- GP prescribed citalopram, which I took for 12mths. 

I still felt sometimes terrible and sometimes very energised. Went to psychiatrist, who recommended a wash out (no meds for two months) for diagnostic purposes. I was at my worst. Anxious, suicidal every few days, with days of high energy in between. Diagnosed bipolar 2, rapidly cycling mood disorder plus anxiety. 

- started on 5mg Saphris (Asenapine, an AP) 

- few weeks later started on 20mg fluoxetine also.

I Hated how I felt on Saphris. A little dead on the inside, drowsy most of the day, emotionless. 

- weaned off fluoxetine after one year of taking it

-weaned off Saphris over approx one month, after taking it for more than a year

- 1 month of awful anxiety, erratic short mood swings, trouble sleeping, flu symptoms 

- 2 months still terrible anxiety and some trouble with sleep

Im hoping to connect with others who have made it through Saphris withdrawal, as I’m only 3 months medication-free. 

Now I’m not taking any medication 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mumma,

Quite likely that you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms from a too rapid taper off Saphris. 

We generally use the 10% or less tapering method, based on each previous dosage here.  As it's been found to be the most harm reduction method for getting off psychoactive drugs.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage

What is withdrawal syndrome

Are you on other medications/drugs at the present time?  Please put your medication and withdrawal history in a signature

Tips for tapering off asenapine-Saphris

Welcome aboard.

Your Introduction topic will be a way for you to introduce yourself to the group. It will be like a journal, so we can all follow and respond to your progress. Members may respond to your topic and give you support and encouragement.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 3 years later...

Hi @Mumma! I noticed you haven’t been on in a while! I am currently going through a cold turkey saphris withdrawal and wanted to see how you are doing now! Have your symptoms eased up or gone away? I must say that this has been the hardest thing I have ever had to go through and was looking for some reassurance or a success story!

sept 2018- put on 75mg effexor, 25mg seroquel during inpatient stay due to adverse reaction to cipro and prednisone

2020- 100mg seroquel, CT 225mg effexor

june 2020- 300mg seroquel

january 2021- 40mg viibryd, 300 mg seroquel, esketamine nasal spray

march 2021-adverse reaction to viibryd, CT

july 2021- 5mg saphris, 300mg seroquel

oct 2021- tapered down to 100mg seroquel, 5mg saphris

dec 22 2021- CT saphris, 25mg zoloft- dc after 3 days, 200mg seroquel

jan 7 2022- 10mg prozac, 5mg zyprexa, 300mg seroquel

jan 16 2022- came off prozac and zyprexa

current- 300mg seroquel

past medications/trials: trintillex, rexulti, abilify, risperdal, cogentin, prozac, trazadone, wellbutrin, luvox, lamictal, gabapentin, sporadic benzo use (never more than a week)

• 2 years later...

@michala

Hi michala, I'm looking at coming of Saphris soon and just wondering how you're doing now?

I've just come through withdrawal from escitalopram and that was really hard and took it out of me, not looking forward to coming off Saphris.

Escitalopram  approximately 2012 to March 31st 2023 20mg cold turkey.

Back on to escitalopram 10 mg approximately 3weeks later.

Switch to Fluoxetine approximately 3 weeks after that.

Come off Fluoxetine 20 mg 22nd of June cold turkey.

Been on antipsychotics such as Serrequal, Abilify, Zyprexa, and currently on, I can't remember the dates of them.