SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ manny03: withdrawal from Trintellix / Brintellix / vortioxetine

manny03

Hi, 

Came across this website trying to find others who've gone through withdrawal and experienced skin issues during the process. 

I took 5mg Trintellix medication for the last two years which worked wonders for me. Though, due to financial circumstances and having a shingles outbreak, I had to stop taking the medication cold turkey. 

My Dr. did blood work and everything came out fine. Chalked my shingles outbreak due to excessive stress. 

Over the last month and half that I've stopped the medication I've gone through crying spells, anxiety, insomnia/interrupted sleeping cycle, eating binge (sweets), fatigue, muscle weakness.. Right now, I'm experiencing headaches that stop and switch to IBS symptoms then switch back to headaches, some fatigue, focusing issues (eye), skin breakouts (pimples, red spots, hives) on my arms and chest. 

Today, a new hive or spots came out on my right oblique. I'm scared that it might shingles again or just the continuing break out due to my withdrawal.

Just wanted to know how those who've had skin breakouts managed this or let it just be. 

Trintellix (Brintellix) 5mg - December 2015 to Mid July 2018

Vitamin C 500mgs daily January 2019 - March 30 2019 Boost my immune system through my withdrawal - Stopped

Up and Up 3 Billion Probiotics - Daily for IBS. - Stopped

Up and Up 30 Billion Probiotics - Daily for IBS. - Stopped

June 16-26 2018: C/T to take Antiviral medication for Shingles outbreak (Due to excessive stress - SSRI Poop Out). 

June 27 2018: Reinstated (5mg)

July 14 2018 last dose due to acute withdrawal symptoms. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to manny03: withdrawal from Trintellix
  • Administrator

Welcome, manny.

It's possible the skin breakouts could be from withdrawal; we can't address the potential shingles. Reinstating a small amount of Trintellix, such as 0.5mg, might reduce those withdrawal symptoms. This topic explains how to take a small amount of Trintillex Tips for tapering off Trintellix (vortioxetine), previously called Brintellix 

You'd take this for some months, then taper off by tiny amounts later. Please let us know how you're doing.

Are taking any other drugs?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

5 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, manny.

It's possible the skin breakouts could be from withdrawal; we can't address the potential shingles. Reinstating a small amount of Trintellix, such as 0.5mg, might reduce those withdrawal symptoms. This topic explains how to take a small amount of Trintillex Tips for tapering off Trintellix (vortioxetine), previously called Brintellix 

You'd take this for some months, then taper off by tiny amounts later. Please let us know how you're doing.

Are taking any other drugs?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

Thanks for the reply. The spot is fading away. So it's not shingles, Thank Heavens. Though, just another symptom from my withdrawal. 

I asked since I cut ties with my psychiatrist who wouldn't answer my questions regarding withdrawing, it's symptoms or long term consequences. He only said if I wanted to get back on the medication just start at 2.5mg which thanks for the tip. 

Not taking anything else at the moment. I might just brave this through since I want to clean myself from the medication. 

Vitamin C 500mgs daily January 2019 - March 30 2019 Boost my immune system through my withdrawal - Stopped

June 16-26 2018: C/T to take Antiviral medication for Shingles outbreak (Due to excessive stress - SSRI Poop Out). 

• Administrator

Very few doctors of any type know anything about tapering or withdrawal.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

On 8/30/2018 at 4:32 PM, Altostrata said:

Very few doctors of any type know anything about tapering or withdrawal.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.

It's a pity. And to be frank i feel scared because some these symptoms are scary. 

Before I stopped taking the medication i was having night panic attacks, headaches, heart palpitations, insomnia,  then add personal problems with family members which lead to me getting shingles. This was May to early june. Like I mentioned before, I fully stopped taking the medication in mid july. 

Over the last two weeks I've been dealing with some personal health problems with my dad. During that time, I like I mentioned in the beginning of the thread I've had headaches and focusing/blurred vision problems.

This weekend I had some bad indigestion/heart burn due to my dad's health. though those symptoms went away, tightness on the chest came back, with a slight headache. Though, earlier in the evening I had a bad headaches which calmed its self, though then my vision blurred and came back. This is the third time that's occurred. I'm terrified that this is not a symptom from the withdrawals, but of a deadly tumor. 

I had my yearly physical last week and my blood work came out perfect.  I just don't know what to think. 

Hi Manny.

Hope you are ok.

Isnt it just bloody great in withdrawal!! Not!

If it helps, i was on all the SSRIs over a 2 year period and none helped. I cold turkeyed each time of all of them and that is possibly why i have always thought im ill mentally.

My last drug was Lexapro..... Boy oh boy oh boy. Hardest 1 to stop by far.

I have now been off 11 weeks. Yeeeh! I have had the eye pressure, headaches and pressure in my ears. I also feel at times that my brain has been wrapped in cling film or covered in stick treacle.

My other symptoms along the way.

- Anxiety

- Balance problems

- confusion

- Muscle aches

- Avoidance of people at times due to anxiety.

To sum it up it feels like your a basket case, however you just need to send a Fxck you card to the pharmacy companies who make billions screwing our brains and body.

Tc

Lee

May 2016 - Aug 2016 - Prozac 20mg

March 2017 - June 2017 - Sertraline 100mg. Horrific withdrawal 5 m onths.

July 2017 - Aug 2017 - Mirtazapine 15mg. Horrific.

August 2017 - December 2017 Fluoxetine 10mg for 2 weeks ghen Escitalopram 20mg for 12 weeks. Never felt normal since this. Or baseline.

March 2018 - June 2018 - Escitalopram 5mg for 12 weeks. Stopped and here i am full of symptoms i never had.

You will get better aslong as you stay off the drugs.

I would rather OCD or depression or anxiety than this. It is a horror show withdrawal.

They want you to feel like you cant live without the drugs so they keep making the money. Its like alcohol and cigarettes they generate billions and the government love the tax from it. Whilst everyone becomes addicted.

August 2017 - December 2017 Fluoxetine 10mg for 2 weeks ghen Escitalopram 20mg for 12 weeks. Never felt normal since this. Or baseline.

March 2018 - June 2018 - Escitalopram 5mg for 12 weeks. Stopped and here i am full of symptoms i never had.

3 minutes ago, Leo1983 said:

Hi Manny.

Hope you are ok.

Isnt it just bloody great in withdrawal!! Not!

If it helps, i was on all the SSRIs over a 2 year period and none helped. I cold turkeyed each time of all of them and that is possibly why i have always thought im ill mentally.

My last drug was Lexapro..... Boy oh boy oh boy. Hardest 1 to stop by far.

I have now been off 11 weeks. Yeeeh! I have had the eye pressure, headaches and pressure in my ears. I also feel at times that my brain has been wrapped in cling film or covered in stick treacle.

My other symptoms along the way.

- Anxiety

- Balance problems

- confusion

- Muscle aches

- Avoidance of people at times due to anxiety.

To sum it up it feels like your a basket case, however you just need to send a Fxck you card to the pharmacy companies who make billions screwing our brains and body.

Tc

Lee

With those head symptoms did you have blurred vision and eye floaters? 

Not blurred vision. But i did have yellow floaters for a while.

Just now, Leo1983 said:

Not blurred vision. But i did have yellow floaters for a while.

I've had yellow and clear floaters. Though, the blurred vision is what terrifies me. It happens for a millisecond. 😢 though comes back. 

The fact your blood work came back good is a very familiar thing on here.

A general rule of thumb...

If your bloods are ok and your BP etc.

If your worse than before the tablets.

If your MRI etc is ok.

THEN ITS LIKELY WITHDRAWAL.

4 minutes ago, Leo1983 said:

If your MRI etc is ok.

Haven't done an MRI. 

Though, my symptoms keep on switching since when I had my heartburn, the headaches were gone. Though, once that stopped, my headaches came back. That's why I'm so confused and lost.  

Well then we both had yellow so it must be common lol.

Keep in touch with your GP. Keep off the meds. Time is the key!!!

Are you in the UK?

3 hours ago, Leo1983 said:

Are you in the UK?

in the U.S.

3 hours ago, Leo1983 said:

If your MRI etc is ok.

Haven't done an MRI. 

Though, my symptoms keep on switching since when I had my heartburn, the headaches were gone. Though, once that stopped, my headaches came back. That's why I'm so confused and lost.  

They do switch alot. Its awful bit it takes time

Research withdrawal symptoms.

9 minutes ago, Leo1983 said:

Research withdrawal symptoms.

Just came across this page https://www.aafp.org/afp/2006/0801/p449.html

It seems I've developed antidepressant discontinuation syndrome.  Since all of my symptoms match to it. 

Though it mentions the symptoms should stop after two weeks.

Though, here's the page for Trintellix

https://mentalhealthdaily.com/2015/01/06/brintellix-vortioxetine-withdrawal-symptoms-how-long-they-last/

it could take up to 90 days or longer for all the symptoms to go away since my SSRI stays longer in the body. Plus it does mention the headaches could get intense. 

There you go. However it could last less than that. And again it could last longer.

Just know it will pass. But you are now powerless to the symptoms until they correct themselves.

1 day at a time.

1 hour ago, Leo1983 said:

There you go. However it could last less than that. And again it could last longer.

Just know it will pass. But you are now powerless to the symptoms until they correct themselves.

1 day at a time.

That's what I'll do.

Since when I stopped taking the meds, I had other symptoms which slowly went away such as weeping, indigestion, rashes.  Though now, I'm experiencing pimple breakouts, tension on my right cheeck, eye pressure, ear pressure,  headaches, and sadly blurred vision. The head symptoms during the withdrawals began with a night anxiety attack that I woke up to. I sat up, and a rush of electrical sensation/wave went through the entire top of my head, eye pressure/tension on both eyes. Now the aches and sensations moved on the right side of my head, a few weeks back it was to the left side. It's just horrible. 

Last week I was having my indigestion episode. It occurred due to my father getting sick/ new withdrawal symptom. I've suffered from heart burn though last week's episode i some electro shock sharp pain on my upper right quadrant of my abdomen. It never happened when I didn't take the meds. Now it did. I was thinking I might have some stomach cancer. Now that it's gone, Like nothing happened. Now from what I see the symptoms shifted back to my head.

I just hope this clears up by end of the year. 

Its a complete joke. The whole thing is terrible.

• Administrator

manny, read What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Withdrawal does not always go away in a couple of weeks. If it did, there would be no reason to run this Web site.

23 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Withdrawal does not always go away in a couple of weeks. If it did, there would be no reason to run this Web site.

I will take a read. 

You're right. I'm letting this take the better of me. 

That's what I'm realizing. Since from what I read, the symptoms should only take a few weeks, though with me since I took it for almost two years, its going to be while for my system to reestablish itself. 

7 hours ago, Altostrata said:

I've been reading and found the charts tracing all the possible symptoms helpful. Found the waves thread interesting, that I will use to check my journey to recovery. Came across a thread which answers what probably occurred to me with this medication. 

I won't knock Trintellix since it helped me get out of the depression I was in, and reigned in my hypochondria and its physical manifestations. I'm grateful for that since it made me see that I was capable of doing great things. 

I was already thinking of weaning off the medication and test myself without it. 

From April to May 2018 both my mother and therapist noticed a change in my mood and behavior. They noticed that I was a bit aggressive towards anyone who would question me. Over the last three years I became really close with my 91 year old grandmother. Though, during this time, I became quiet and shy towards her which my mother found rather odd. Then, I became aggressive towards my mother, which I never did in my life. Later, I would have chest pains, heart palpitations, fatigue, indigestion (heart burn), headaches, night panic attacks, night jolts, insomnia. These symptoms closely match with what I've read on this forum regarding reaching the 'tolerance' phase of SSRI's.

My therapist recommended to raise the mg on my medication since it seemed it stop working. I was going to mention it to my psychiatrist though, I wasn't going to see him until late June. 

Then, add family problems, looking for work and being rejected,  selling some articles to pay my school loans, the state of politics in the US, and finally to top it off, being bitten by a bee that these symptoms overwhelmed my immune system which triggered my shingles outbreak in early June. 

Knowing that Trintellix interacts with certain medications, I stopped taking the medication so I could take the antivirals. 

After I finished taking the seven day antivirals (June 26)  I restarted taking my antidepressant, though it was too late. I had exited the tolerance phase and entered discontinuation phase of the medication. I finally stopped taking the medication on July 14. 

Though, what shocks me is that my therapist was able to recognize I had entered the 'tolerance phase' and would have raised the mg's on my medication if he was able to; while my psychiatrist didn't to the extreme he just dismissed me during my most anxious moments when I had entered my discontinuation phase. 

Then, in a email exchange a month later, I asked him about long term consequences of coming off Trintellix, he wouldn't answer the question, and only revealed to me that Trintellix didn't interact with the antivirals. I was flabbergasted at his ineptitude. I notified my primary and my therapist regarding his treatment towards me and both were shocked at his bad bedside manners. Good thing my primary did a complete blood panel which came out pristine in her opinion, so no disease could be blamed for the symptoms I'm experiencing at the moment. So, he's out of the picture, and now I have to deal with these symptoms by myself.  If I'm correct about this, you're right that this forum is a treasure trove for those looking for answers on how to manage through the 'fun' phase of discontinuation, and know I'll see light at the end of the tunnel sooner or later. 

Came in for a update. 

Stomach aches, heartburn symptoms went away. Though, the last two days, have been horrible. I've had the usual fatigue, and headaches, though now its a constant headaches that switch spots from right to left, top and back. They feel like dull throbbing aches or spots that occur when anxious, or when I'm reading or translating something to someone since I'm bilingual. This morning, began with band like pressure around my head and neck. Then, the usual headaches that I've described before, though caught one that it felt like little cable jump on top of my head.  Besides that I've had eye disturbances (floaters and blurred vision/focusing issues), memory problems, insomnia, anxiety that a headache will wake up (feeding the fear that I have a brain tumor)  and the skin hives or spots on my arms come up at day, though at night go away. I usually make storm out of a tea cup, which I shouldn't. Though, wanted some reassurance that this is just a horrible wave that I'm going through, and not that I have brain tumor.  

Mate it is ****.... but you have a whole load of people with the same crap going on. Its not just you!!! So tell yourself it must be pretty common. I have a headache now. But i dont think oooh brain tumour or i would be ill.

We all wake up wishing it was gone. It will go eventually.

I push myself to work feeling like this. Sometimes i cant remember been there lol.

But beats sitting allnday thinking when will this leave.

Just now, Leo1983 said:

I push myself to work feeling like this. Sometimes i cant remember been there lol.

But beats sitting allnday thinking when will this leave.

So true. 

Just try to think it will go when its ready.i know 1st hand its hard.

Its awful.

I’m also coming off 5mg of trintellix - stopped the end of July 2018. I’ve had such a hard time in withdrawal with major ups and downs. But I feel worse now than I did when I first went off it. I have IBS and it triggered a big flare up for me so I’m incredibly nauseous all the time, super anxious, dry mouth, headache. I had never had panic attacks before, but they started within days of my starting the trintellix and continued, which was why I stopped it cold turkey ( I didn’t slowly reduce the dose - my doc said since I was only on 5mg it was fine, which it obviously wasn’t).

The panic attacks have lessened but now I have so much constant anxiety that i never had before.

I’m very scared it’s something serious even though logically all of this started when I started the trintellix. Ugh. Just wanted to say I’m in the same boat as you. It’s the worst.

2018 - trintellix 5mg. Stopped July 2018, didn’t taper. Also take .25mg Ativan either every day or every other day for anxiety.

2009 - cymbalta (don’t remember much about it)

2004 - Effexor (don’t recall dose)

2 hours ago, Jules1234 said:

I’m also coming off 5mg of trintellix - stopped the end of July 2018. I’ve had such a hard time in withdrawal with major ups and downs. But I feel worse now than I did when I first went off it. I have IBS and it triggered a big flare up for me so I’m incredibly nauseous all the time, super anxious, dry mouth, headache. I had never had panic attacks before, but they started within days of my starting the trintellix and continued, which was why I stopped it cold turkey ( I didn’t slowly reduce the dose - my doc said since I was only on 5mg it was fine, which it obviously wasn’t).

The panic attacks have lessened but now I have so much constant anxiety that i never had before.

I’m very scared it’s something serious even though logically all of this started when I started the trintellix. Ugh. Just wanted to say I’m in the same boat as you. It’s the worst.

Hey Jules! At least there's someone that's experiencing the same with Trintellix. I always come across reports with the well known SSRI's, but not this one. 

I'm drinking Tropicana orange juice that has vitamin d, calcium, and magnesium to combat the lightheadedness.

though I'm like you,  It's gotten worse with the headaches, visual disturbances, and cognitive issues. I also suffer from IBS and had some erratic episodes a few weeks back. It settled and now it's those horrible headaches. 

the headaches that you've experienced are they similar to what I've described? I hope we get out of this rut. 

Hi Jules.

It is still early days for you 5 weeks. Just have a read and you are not alone. Its terrible what you go through.

Just take each day and be kind to yourself. Let people know what your going through.

Drs always say just stop it because they aint got a clue.

How long were you on the drug? Did you use any before that? Do you take any others? Do you use alcohol?

I was on the trintellix a little over a month. It’s worth mentioning that I have a highly sensitive central nervous system. About 10 years ago doctors thought I may have MS bc of the neuropathy and weird sensations I experience, but after extensive testing the conclusion was my CNS is on high alert. I’ll go long stretches when it’s calm too. When I was on the trintellix I immediately experienced a lot of sensations - like someone was grabbing my arm, or buzzing on my ankles or all over neuropathy. A lot of that has subsided since I stopped taking it. 

I do moderately drink alcohol but haven’t since I’ve been so nauseous. When I wake up in the morning I have a brief moment (20 seconds or so) when I feel okay, and then I’m hit with the nausea and anxiety again. 

I’m taking .25 of Ativan almost every day for when the anxiety is unbearable. I know it’s not recommended but I need something to help me through this period. Also fish oil, probiotic and just started magnesium glycinate last night (one capsule). My GI doc suggested I start an acid blocker to see if that helps with the nausea.

im 38/female and petite, so not eating enough takes an immediate toll on my body/weight.

i also two little kids and a full time job and feel like I can hardly function.

Emotionally one of my big hang ups is that I feel worse now than I did a couple weeks ago, though that seems standard of the windows/waves theory.

2018 - trintellix 5mg. Stopped July 2018, didn’t taper. Also take .25mg Ativan either every day or every other day for anxiety.

2009 - cymbalta (don’t remember much about it)

2004 - Effexor (don’t recall dose)

Hi. U from the UK?