SuperNova71: Cymbalta withdrawal

SuperNova71

Hi Everyone,

I just thought I would give you all a bit of my background, and see if anyone has or is going through what I am and could  possibly shed some light on what to do to possibly make this better. Please forgive me, this will probably get rambly.

I was diagnosed with post partum depression 29 years ago. I can't remember the name of the first anti depressant I was prescribed but I have been on many different ones since the first one. Fast forward to now. I felt like I was in a good place, and I thought I could possibly come off of these meds, and just be "normal". I was on 60mg of cymbalta. My gp told me to take a lower dosage (30mg) for a month and then start skipping a day for 2 weeks and then skip 2 days etc. Apparently this is how most gp's tell you to come off the meds. I did a little research and found out that that is a horrible way to come off this drug. So I found a tapering method. I was on a generic type so the beads inside the capsules were all different shapes and sizes.. to make a long story short, I eyeballed 1/2 of 30, took that for 1 month, did that again.. until I was down to approx 7.5mg at which point I stopped taking it. That was at the end of May 2018. Now, I am riddled with anxiety, panic attacks, no appetite (because of the anxiety). I wake up with what feels like morning sickness every day, that sometimes doesn't go away all day. I cry at the drop of a hat, I hate people, I am super angry all of the time. I try incredibly hard to hide these things and mostly only let go when I am alone. I could almost be considered for an academy award because no one seems to know how tormented I am. So I guess, my question is, is this withdrawal or do I actually NEED to be on this drug? If I need to be, then so be it. I have heard that reinstating is sometimes pretty dangerous. Has anyone been through this? What did you do? I can't live like this much longer. I have good days and bad days, but the bad days seem to outnumber the good ones, and the bad ones are really really bad. I don't trust doctors anymore, as they seem so quick with their prescription pad, without knowing anything about what they are prescribing. I'm seriously so torn and I need help desperately.  Thank you all so much for your time.

• ChessieCat changed the title to SuperNova71: Cymbalta withdrawal
  • Administrator

Welcome, SuperNova.

You have withdrawal syndrome. This does not mean you NEED the drug, except to stop withdrawal. If I were you, I'd reinstate 5 beads of Cymbalta to start, right away. (The brand-name Cymbalta may have more uniform beads inside.) A tiny amount can help stabilize your nervous system, you'd taper off that in some months.

See

What is withdrawal syndrome?

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Is it withdrawal or relapse?  Or something else?

How do I know it's withdrawal and not relapse?

This might help you to understand what effect these drugs can have:  I tried to drop my dose by half and experienced very bad brain fog for 3 weeks.  At the end of 3 weeks I wasn't able to type.  I am a professional typist so I knew that something wasn't right.  I updosed and after about 4 hours I was able to type again and my foggy head started clearing.  I had a benchmark to compare with which proved it was the drug reduction which caused it, and the updose improved it.  I've been on an AD for 25 years and have managed to reduce from 100mg Pristiq to 7mg Pristiq.  My withdrawal symptoms have been mild, but sometimes after making a dose reduction I get increased anxiety.

The thing that a lot of people don't realise is that the brain has changed and relies on the drug.  It's physiological dependence, not physical dependence.  The brain's natural reaction to taking away the drug is to try to adapt, or reach homeostasis or factory settings, and this is what causes withdrawal symptoms.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management