SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Shooting at Pittsburgh Psych Hospital

Barbarannamated

Just heard this - trying to get details to post

Western Psych Institute at University of Pittsburgh

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Just heard this - trying to get details to post

Western Psych Institute at University of Pittsburgh

Anyone else wondering if the shooter was on meds? Of course, I could be totally off base but I can't help it.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

My first thought

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Western Psych Institute Shooter

While it is not clear what relationship the gunman had with Western Psych, in recent years three people who were treated or had some evaluation from the institute were charged and then later convicted of murder.

Shooting Not First Tragic Death for Victim's Family

Mary Schaab watched hours of news coverage before learning that her son had been killed in the violent crime -- just like her only other child, Nancy, who was shot during a domestic dispute in 2010.

I cannot imagine how people get through things like this...

• Moderator Emeritus

of COURSE he was on meds, or in withdrawal. I'd bet big bucks on it.

The spin will be "he should have been taking his meds but he stopped" all the more reason we must have laws to force people to take psychiatric meds.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

of COURSE he was on meds, or in withdrawal. I'd bet big bucks on it.

The spin will be "he should have been taking his meds but he stopped" all the more reason we must have laws to force people to take psychiatric meds.

YUP. EXACTLY.

You can't blame it in the drugs! They are there to help people! It is like when I had a bad reaction to Risperdal, went to the ER and was diagonosed as a suicide attempt and forcebly committed to psychward. No, it is never the drugs.

DISGUSTING.

Withdrew cold turkey from six medications: Celexa, Zyprexa, Depakote, Ativan, Ambien and Phentermine in 2002. It has been 10 years since I told polypharmacy to take a hike and have joined this forum to let others know that success is possible and to hopefully save people from experiencing the suffering that I did under psychiatric "care".

MY STORY

"TENSION is when we try to be who we think we should be, RELAXATION is when we are who we really are."

It is so interesting to watch the news releases as they happen. A report is posted, then later a report that contradicts it and the earlier one disappears. POOF! They said they couldnt't ID the shooter - no wallett and prints didn't come up in databases (of course not - he was probobly a compliant, law abiding citizen until psychiatry entered his life). Then later reports said he did have ID but they were checking his records before releasing info. Strange...not 'waiting until family is notified'.

His fannypaks were 'filled with unidentified white pills'. Print a pic of pill, I'm sure we can ID it! How ridiculous!

As the media spins it....

• 1 month later...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy