JD4010: Hello

JD4010

Here's my intro: I'm a 58 year old divorced guy who has dealt with depression and anxiety for most of his life. I attempted suicide in 2013 but failed (obviously). Made an appointment with a Pdoc and got put on Citalopram. It seemed to work (after about 3 weeks of pure hell while it felt like my brain was being squeezed in a vice), but I became very lethargic. Next step was to add Bupropion. The combo seemed reasonably effective.

I was also described  prescribed meds for persistent insomnia (something else I've had since I was a kid). First was Trazadone, which was awful. Then Remeron, which was slightly less awful. Now, it's Gabapentin (seems benign enough).

I would like to wean off of the meds because I may be losing the crappy "health" insurance plan I've got now. I have co-pays on prescriptions that are reasonably low. But I'll be paying full price if the insurance gets yanked. I want to be out front of any withdrawal I'll be experiencing, rather than immediately going cold turkey.

I have gone without either citalopram or bupropion for a few days and it has been a miserable experience in both cases.

This is probably a familiar sounding story. But it's mine.

Edited by ChessieCat
corrected typo

Current meds:

Citalopram (20mg)

Bupropion (150 mg X 2 daily)

Gabapentin 300 mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to JD4010: Hello
  • Administrator

Welcome, JD.

If you go off any psychiatric drug suddenly, you risk withdrawal symptoms, which can be quite severe and last a long time, possibly many months.

How much citalopram were you taking? If I were you, I'd reinstate a half-tablet immediately.

Reinstatement of buproprion may also be necessary, but it could be a bit of citalopram is enough.

You would stay on the reinstatement until withdrawal symptoms go away completely, then taper off one drug at a time very gradually. See Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

You will need to get prescriptions filled while you taper. Walmart, Target, Walgreen's, etc. offer some generics at very low cost, less than $10 per month.

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm still going strong with both meds right now. But my insurance may be disappearing next year. That's why I'm contemplating starting the taper.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote

Current meds:

Citalopram (20mg)

Gabapentin 300 mg

I updated my signature to show the doses of the "big 3" meds I take for depression/anxiety. I'm on various other meds for health issues as well...pantoprazole for acid reflux, Advair for asthma, etc.

Big Pharma adores me.

I haven't started to taper from anything yet. Work is massively stressful right now and I'm barely keeping my head above water.

Current meds:

Citalopram (20mg)

Gabapentin 300 mg