Ozdem: How do I taper off Zyprexa?

Ozdem

I had been using a generic drug of Zyprexa.Mydoctor precribed it for anxiety.I was on it(5 mg) every night for about 3 years.I quit cold turkey in April 2017.I’ve experienced terrible withdrawal effects .(Muscle twitches started in November 2017) I restarted the drug in January 2018.I am still experiencing whole body muscle twitches, eyelid twitches and body tremors.Muscle twitching is the most annoying one.I also use Lexapro since March 2018 for depression.Will these symptoms go away If I taper off and dlscontinue the drug.What do you recommend?How do I taper off Zyprexa?

• ChessieCat changed the title to Ozdem: How do I taper off Zyprexa?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ozdem and welcome to SA.

Most people find tapering at a rate of no more than 10% of their current dose per month to be safest and gentlest. Please read this info: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

For specific info on tapering Zyprexa, please read this info (especially the first post): https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/3743-tips-for-tapering-off-zyprexa-olanzapine/

Please help us out by putting your dosages and history in a "signature" using these instructions: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/18343-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

You're in a great place for a safe taper by doing some research and preparing ahead of time. Again, welcome!

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• 4 weeks later...

@Ozdem, how have the muscle twitches been lately?

March 2016: Strattera

June 2016: Nothing

October 2016-April 2017:Wellbutrin SR

Mid-March 2017-March 2017 Adderall (9 days)

April 2017: Wellbutrin and Ritalin (7 days)

Mid-April to mid-June: nothing 

early June 2017: Wellbutrin XL

mid-June 2017: Wellbutrin XL, Adderall, and Hydrochlorothiazide (blood pressure); took for two days

Late August: Allegra for two days, then Propranolol

On 10/3/2018 at 12:13 PM, Wellbutrinsucks said:

@Ozdem, how have the muscle twitches been lately?

Hi.2 weeks ago I switched to another antipsychotic.The muscle twitches seem to be improved.

I haven’t been on Wellbutrin since June 2017 and I’m still having them

March 2016: Strattera

June 2016: Nothing

October 2016-April 2017:Wellbutrin SR

Mid-March 2017-March 2017 Adderall (9 days)

April 2017: Wellbutrin and Ritalin (7 days)

Mid-April to mid-June: nothing 

early June 2017: Wellbutrin XL

mid-June 2017: Wellbutrin XL, Adderall, and Hydrochlorothiazide (blood pressure); took for two days

Late August: Allegra for two days, then Propranolol