smk1234: I want to taper Luvox, but terrified

smk1234

I've been on and off various AD's and benzos for 25 years. Most recently I tapered off Xanax/valium, with the final dose 12/15. I have remained on the ssri Luvox for 18 years. It helped me when I first started it, but now I don't think it does anything and I only keep taking it to keep out of a withdrawal. I've had a rough time with the benzos, especially this summer had a huge setback after having some alcohol and then inadvertently taking a few doses of Xanax while getting treated for another health issue. I've had severe inner trembling and anxiety and bouts of severe depression. I am getting slowly better, much better than several months ago. ....  I want to get off the Luvox, but I'm terrified of another long withdrawal, and losing more of my life to all of this... I've taken it for so long I'm scared to try to get off of it. I don't think I have another withdrawal in me, this is just a terrible place to be..  Is there any hope for me? Does anyone have any advice?

Luvox- 200mg past 20 years, cut to 100mg 7/2020, then increased back up to 150mgs 3 weeks later/ end of July . Current: 150mg.

Pristiq - started on 50mg 4/2020,increased to 150mg since the beginning of July of 2020. Current 75 mg.

Trazodone- 50mgs since summer 2019, was just increased to 100mg 8/2020 current 50 mg.

Metoprolol 25 g day

Clonidine - started mid July 2020 .1 mg 2X day. I've cut it down on my own to .1 mg at night..

Gabapentin - started 8/3/20 300 mg 3X day,  current 300 mg day,

Long history of various other a/ds  Xanax and Ambien for 10+ years, did cross to Valium and off since 12/15

• ChessieCat changed the title to smk1234: I want to taper Luvox, but terrified
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, SMK1234, and welcome to SA.  I sympathize--I've been on Lexapro for 14 years and have been tapering it successfully using methods recommended on this site (I'll give you links below). 

To start, in order to give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

At Surviving Antidepressants, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at a more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.

A variation of the 10% taper is the Brassmonkey Slide Taper.  Instead of dropping 10% every four weeks, you do four equal 2 1/2% drops for four weeks with a two week hold.  I've been using this method and have found it to work.

This link explains the importance of a slow taper:

This link gives very specific information about tapering Luvox, including how to make nonstandard doses.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you. I've been trying to read about tapering methods, and quite honestly find reading about trying to make my own liquid suspension confusing and intimidating. I'm already scared thinking about trying to taper, I feel overwhelmed by this:-(

Luvox- 200mg past 20 years, cut to 100mg 7/2020, then increased back up to 150mgs 3 weeks later/ end of July . Current: 150mg.

Pristiq - started on 50mg 4/2020,increased to 150mg since the beginning of July of 2020. Current 75 mg.

Trazodone- 50mgs since summer 2019, was just increased to 100mg 8/2020 current 50 mg.

Metoprolol 25 g day

Clonidine - started mid July 2020 .1 mg 2X day. I've cut it down on my own to .1 mg at night..

Long history of various other a/ds  Xanax and Ambien for 10+ years, did cross to Valium and off since 12/15

• Moderator Emeritus

Are you on the immediate release or extended release? As an alternative to making your liquid, you could,  if you are are on the immediate release, cut the tablets and weigh them on a Gemini-20 scale available on Amazon.  Using a digital scale to measure doses If you are on the extended release, you can remove beads to taper as described here: Tips for tapering off Luvox (fluvoxamine)

If you are not stable yet from your benzo taper (especially given the blip this summer) you might want to wait until you feel better before considering another taper.  You might feel less intimidated if you feel more stable.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 10 months later...

Topic title:  Still benzo recovery or SSRI tolerance?

Hi, I've been on various psych meds for the past 30 years. Reader's digest version: I've been on the same SSRI, Luvox for the past 20 years. Also on and off Xanax/ valium/ ambien/benzos for a good 13 or so years. I did a several year taper off of them and have been benzo-free for 3.5 years, (except for last year I was given them twice in the hospital for another physical issue)…  My remaining symptoms are an on and off internal shaking feeling, different than normal anxiety. It usually comes on as a reaction to stress, but sometimes for no reason I can pinpoint. I don't feel the SSRI I am taking does me any good anymore, but I am so terrified of "rocking the boat" and going through another w/d, so basically I am just on it to keep me out of withdrawal. I have been waiting to feel good or stable for a long enough stretch to attempt to taper it, but I never seem to feel strong enough.  I'm starting to wonder if  - Is this as good as it will get from the benzo w/d? are the symptoms I have now some sort of tolerance to the SSRI? Is it possible I could actually start to feel BETTER if I attempted a taper??  I've been going back and forth about this for months,,, I am honestly terrified to try to get off of it,, as I said I've been on it for 20 years. I feel trapped and scared. Does anyone have any advice?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Metoprolol 25 g day

• Administrator

Hello, smk.

Do you ever accidentally skip taking Luvox? Are you taking any other drugs? Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?  Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms. You can post them in this topic with a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
22 hours ago, smk1234 said:

Is this as good as it will get from the benzo w/d? are the symptoms I have now some sort of tolerance to the SSRI? Is it possible I could actually start to feel BETTER if I attempted a taper?? 

I don't have definite answers to your questions but do have some links that I hope are helpful in untangling the cause of your symptoms and might guide you as to what to do now.

You mention being 3.5 years out on your benzo.  Brassmonkey, one of our moderators, wrote this about the post-zero timeframe:

It doesn’t end at “0”

Brassmonkey mentions a possible three year wave for antidepressants and that's not unusual on the benzo forum for benzo withdrawal (it was seen a lot in the protracted section over on benzo buddies). So you may be in that phase.

The following is an excellent post that is specific to benzo withdrawal and recovery:

What is happening in your brain?

It's very long and detailed, so if you're not up to reading the whole post, the following paragraph really conveys the message that it's a slow and gradual process, but all along the way, the mind/body is making progress, even if it doesn't seem that way. 

On 12/26/2015 at 2:37 PM,  Altostrata said: 

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were [...] to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and [...] to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while [...] is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made. 

You mentioned that you thought you were in tolerance (or poop-out) on the Luvox.  Brassmonkey tapered Paxil after he found himself in poop-out on the drug.  He wrote the following:  

Tachyphylaxis or As It’s Lovingly Known “Poopout”

I hope this information helps you find the way forward in your situation.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

• Administrator

We need to see those daily symptom notes before we can answer your questions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/13/2019 at 4:10 AM, Altostrata said:

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms. You can post them in this topic with a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right.

Example:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 4 weeks later...

Topic title:  I tried to start decreasing my dose and not feeling well.

I've been on 200 mgs of Luvox for 19 years and I believe it stopped helping me a long time ago. I had to get off a benzo and dealt with that for several years, and have been having all sorts of symptoms which I'm not sure if the Luvox is causing so I am desperate to come off. I was honestly a bit overwhelmed by the thought of making my own liquid, etc...   so 3 days ago I took a nail file and just shaved a tiny portion off one of the pills... (I know, not very scientific....)… but now today I'm noticing a strange feeling and like a strong wave of depression is trying to come on.  Does this sound like it would be directly related to the tiny cut I made? I can't imagine I shaved off that much. I'm scared! Would you recommend I try to ride this out and if so, how long will it last?? Or should I go back to the original dose and see if I feel better, then acquiesce and try to figure out the liquid taper???

Is it normal to feel this way? I can't imagine how I'll ever get off of this stuff if taking such a tiny amount of a cut makes me feel this bad! I need some advice. My doctor is no help and had told me to just break a pill into 4 pieces and decrease by 50 mg at a time. I feel so lost with this crap!

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Metoprolol 25 g day

• Moderator Emeritus

40 minutes ago, smk1234 said:

Or should I go back to the original dose and see if I feel better, then acquiesce and try to figure out the liquid taper???

How were you feeling before you made the cut?  Are you on the regular release or extended release?

Since it's only been three days, and since there's really no way to tell how much you shaved off, I'd go back to your original dosage and wait to stabilize.  While you're stabilizing (sorry, there's no way to tell how long that will take) I would familiarize myself with making a liquid.  There are instructions in the link below. It really is a how-to for tapering Luvox.   If something is confusing, post your question here.  Many, many members make their liquid and they'll chime in to help you.  

And of course you'll be tapering by no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Luvox (fluvoxamine)

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

I wasn't feeling great before I tried to taper, but not as depressed as this. I am on the regular release.

Thanks for responding. This all seems so overwhelming and I feel trapped. Admittedly, my mind is not in the best place and I needed to hear from someone who understands. I know since the benzo wd I have been so hypersensitive to meds and everything so I fear it's going to make this harder. I will take your advice.

Metoprolol 25 g day

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator
On 7/13/2019 at 2:26 PM, Altostrata said:

We need to see those daily symptom notes before we can answer your questions.

How are you doing, smk?

• 9 months later...

I think too much was cut from Luvox?

I've been on 200 mg of Luvox for 20 years. It stopped working a few years ago but I've been too afraid to taper off after a bad withdrawal from a benzo a few years ago. Long story short, my anxiety hit me worse than ever a few months ago and I've been trying to stabilize but nothing has helped much. I agreed to start Pristiq on top of the Luvox because it's been so bad. I take 150 mgs of that too and not sure it's doing much either. I wound up inpatient a couple weeks ago for all of this and the dr there cut my Luvox down to 100mg from 200mg. I was mortified at that large of a cut, but they said they "do it all the time" and plus they said the Pristiq would help cover side effects. I've been on it for so long. I actually did okay with the cut and didn't feel much. I was elated because I thought maybe they were right after all and cutting down wouldn't be so bad. I've been wanting to get off of it for the longest time but so scared. My plan was to eventually do the small percentage cuts if I could teach myself. Anyway, today is 2 weeks from that cut and I've gotten hit with a horrible depression feeling. I'm thinking it's probably taken this long to catch up with me, do you think that's what's happening?? If that is the case, should I try to ride it out? How long should this last? Or should I give in and go back up 50 or 100 mgs and try a slower taper? Uggg!

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Metoprolol 25 g day

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi smk

We need to know the dates and doses for both drugs please.  When did you start Pristiq?  Did you start it at 150mg?

What symptoms made you go to hospital?

It's not surprising that they reduced your Luvox but 50% because you may have be experiencing seratonin syndrome and the only way to treat that is to reduce the drug dose.

The doctor added a huge dose of Pristiq.  If it was me I would be getting a new doctor.  I would also be considering reporting him/her.  The equivalency is:

LUVOX fluvoxamine 143.3mg

EFFEXOR venlafaxine 149.4mg (included this because it is related to Pristiq but direct Pristiq comparison is not available)

PRISTIQ desvenlafaxine 50mg* possible equivalency

*Since 150mg Effexor and 50mg Pristiq are both "normal" dosages of their respective drugs, they may be roughly equivalent.

Please put ALL drugs you are currently taking in the Drug Interactions Checker and either copy and paste the results OR the link to the results.  Thank you.

4 hours ago, smk1234 said:

I was mortified at that large of a cut, but they said they "do it all the time" and plus they said the Pristiq would help cover side effects.

This is call a bridging taper or cross taper when switching from one drug to another.

However, the better way to do a cross taper is to increase the new/decrease the old for a short period and then repeat until you are only taking the new drug.

However doctors will sometimes stop the old drug before starting the new drug.  https://www.nps.org.au/assets/Products/Guidelines-switching-antidepressants_A3.pdf

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

And I've asked the other mods for their assistance.

I started on Pristiq 2 months ago at 50 mg, and gradually worked up to 150mg. I was still scared to reduce the Luvox so he let me leave it for now. I've been on 200mg for 20 years. I was not having Seretonin syndrome.

I've been having crippling anxiety for the past 4 months and I hadn't been able to get it under control and couldn't handle it anymore. I basically took myself there. My Dr doesn't work at the hospital and the dr there cut the Luvox in half and added Clonidine since I refused benzos. I agreed to start the Pristiq 2 months ago out of desperation.

Metoprolol 25 g day

• Moderator Emeritus

When I stated that I'd get a new doctor, I meant the doctor who prescribed the Pristiq and Luvox together at such high doses, not the hospital doctor because he reduced the Luvox by 50%.

1 hour ago, smk1234 said:

I basically took myself there.

Q:  What specific symptoms made you go to the hospital?

Serotonin syndrome/toxicity has many symptoms.  Even if the doctor/s stated that you didn't have it does not mean that you didn't.   My doctor didn't recognise that I was experiencing mild serotonin toxicity.  My blood pressure increased a lot after my dose was changed from 50mg to 100mg Pristiq and he didn't make the connection and just doubled my blood pressure medication.  It was only after I started getting fed up with feeling so awful all the time that I started researching online and made the connection that it was Pristiq causing the issues.  Once I reduced my dose the various symptoms that I was experiencing, which I am sure were from the mild serotonin toxicity, started to go.  The only serotonin drug I was taking was Pristiq.

25 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

When I stated that I'd get a new doctor, I meant the doctor who prescribed the Pristiq and Luvox together at such high doses, not the hospital doctor because he reduced the Luvox by 50%.

Q:  What specific symptoms made you go to the hospital?

Serotonin syndrome/toxicity has many symptoms.  Even if the doctor/s stated that you didn't have it does not mean that you didn't.   My doctor didn't recognise that I was experiencing mild serotonin toxicity.  My blood pressure increased a lot after my dose was changed from 50mg to 100mg Pristiq and he didn't make the connection and just doubled my blood pressure medication.  It was only after I started getting fed up with feeling so awful all the time that I started researching online and made the connection that it was Pristiq causing the issues.  Once I reduced my dose the various symptoms that I was experiencing, which I am sure were from the mild serotonin toxicity, started to go.  The only serotonin drug I was taking was Pristiq.

In March I got hit with an unbearable amount of anxiety. At that time I was only on the 200mg of Luvox. I've never been so miserable and scared. It is different than anything I've had in the past. I was seeing my therapist 3 times a week and she thinks it's from past trauma triggered by covid (she is pretty much against meds) .. but it feels physical to me. I'm also in perimenopause so I think some of it is hormonal too. Nothing was helping much and I had to take time off work. I was desperate so saw my psych dr and agreed to start the Pristiq.

Actually, I have been looking for a new psych dr for various reasons.

What symptoms were you having of Seretonin syndrome?

Metoprolol 25 g day

I've read that a side effect of pristiq is increased blood pressure, so could it have been that vs. Seretonin syndrome?

Metoprolol 25 g day

• Administrator
16 hours ago, smk1234 said:

I started on Pristiq 2 months ago at 50 mg, and gradually worked up to 150mg.

This is an excessive amount of Pristiq under any circumstances. An SNRI such as Pristiq should not be prescribed with an SSRI such as Luvox. You might report the prescriber to his or her employer and your state medical board.

Exactly what drugs are you taking now, at what times of day and what dosages?

Do you have increased blood pressure since you started Pristiq? Any sweating? Why did you go to the hospital?

i wrote above the story of how I got into the hosptial. My blood pressure would get a bit high at times but usually only when my anxiety was high. 

My main question now is could the profound depression I started feeling yesterday probably a reaction from the huge cut in Luvox? My doctor says it's not but I just feel like it ia. It was 2 weeks ago I dropped from 200mg to 100 mg. Is this normal? Would you suggest trying to ride it out? My dr said I could go up another 50 mg and see if that helps, maybe at a later time try a slower taper? If I just wait it out how long do you think it would last? Or should I go back up to 200 mg and try a super slow taper? uggg

morning- luvox 100mg, pristiq 150 mg, propranolol 10 mg, clonodine .1 mg

evening - .clonodine .1, propranolol 10 mg, trazodone 50mg

Metoprolol 25 g day

• Administrator

You went inpatient for occasional high blood pressure? Please explain.

You're also taking trazodone? Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results or a link to them in this topic.

Your prescriber told you to increase Luvox? In my opinion, that is dangerous and incompetent.

You're taking so many drugs, it's impossible to tell where your symptoms are coming from. You were lucky the Luvox dosage was reduced in the hospital. If I were you, I would not increase the dosage of any of your drugs. You cannot fix a drug adverse reaction by mixing just the right cocktail.

Please read questions from the staff carefully and answer them completely.

5 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Exactly what drugs are you taking now, at what times of day and what dosages?

What time o'clock for each of your drugs?

On what dates did you start each drug? When did you move from 50mg Pristiq to 100mg Pristiq? When did you increase to 150mg Pristiq?

Why are you taking clonidine AND propanolol? Have you looked at the adverse effects of any of your drugs? If I were you, I'd read up on them on drug.com.

Your "depression" might be due to taking those 2 blood pressure drugs and interactions with the rest of your ridiculous cocktail.

In my opinion, your prescriber is way too enthusiastic about loading you up with drugs. You need another doctor, and fast.

YouIn general, can cutting and antidepressant cause a reaction of a severe depression that is really just a reaction from the cut? If so, does your brain just need more time to stabilize? And could this happen even a few wéeks later?

Metoprolol 25 g day

Can too big of a cut cause depression?

I was in the hospital and the doctor cut Luvox from 200mg to 100mg. I was mortified as I've been on that dose for 20 years. It stopped working a long time ago but I was terrified to start another taper after withdrawal from a benzo. I didn't feel much from the cut the first 2 weeks. I was elated as I thought cutting maybe wouldn't be so hard after all. On the 3rd week I got hit with the worst depression feeling ever. My doctor says it's the return of the original depression but I don't think so. My question is, could this "depression" really be a reaction to the cut? And would it be normal to start feeling it weeks later? Do I just need to wait for my brain to adjust? Can anyone explain?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Metoprolol 25 g day

• Moderator Emeritus

Please do not create any more Introduction topics.  Only 1 introduction topic per member.  This keeps your history in one place.  Your introduction topic is the place to ask questions specific to your own situation so that all the information is together.  Thank you.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, smk1234 said:

My question is, could this "depression" really be a reaction to the cut? And would it be normal to start feeling it weeks later?

Alto has already commented on this.

Q:  When did you start taking the second blood pressure drug?

On 7/31/2020 at 8:13 AM, Altostrata said:

Why are you taking clonidine AND propanolol? Have you looked at the adverse effects of any of your drugs? If I were you, I'd read up on them on drug.com.

Your "depression" might be due to taking those 2 blood pressure drugs and interactions with the rest of your ridiculous cocktail.

From https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/bradycardia/symptoms-causes/syc-20355474

Bradycardia is a slower than normal heart rate. The hearts of adults at rest usually beat between 60 and 100 times a minute. If you have bradycardia (brad-e-KAHR-dee-uh), your heart beats fewer than 60 times a minute.

Bradycardia can be a serious problem if the heart doesn't pump enough oxygen-rich blood to the body

This alone, ie taking 2 blood pressure medications, could possibly cause the depression.  Please be aware that if you decide to come of one of the blood pressure drugs it is best to taper it.

From https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=704-0,1956-0,1128-9754,2796-12488&types[]=major&types[]=minor&types[]=moderate&types[]=food&types[]=therapeutic_duplication&professional=1

Clonidine should never be discontinued abruptly, but should be tapered off over 2 to 4 days.

• Moderator Emeritus

Medscape drug interaction check:

Serious - Use Alternative

• clonidine + propranolol

clonidine, propranolol. Either increases toxicity of the other by unspecified interaction mechanism. Avoid or Use Alternate Drug. Can increase risk of bradycardia.

• fluvoxamine + desvenlafaxine

fluvoxamine and desvenlafaxine both increase serotonin levels. Avoid or Use Alternate Drug.

Monitor Closely

• propranolol + clonidine

propranolol, clonidine. Mechanism: pharmacodynamic synergism. Modify Therapy/Monitor Closely. Non selective beta blocker administration during withdrawal from centrally acting alpha agonists may result in rebound hypertension.

• desvenlafaxine + propranolol

desvenlafaxine will increase the level or effect of propranolol by affecting hepatic enzyme CYP2D6 metabolism. Use Caution/Monitor. Desvenlafaxine inhibits CYP2D6; with higher desvenlafaxine doses (ie, 400 mg) decrease the CYP2D6 substrate dose by up to 50%; no dosage adjustment needed with desvenlafaxine doses <100 mg

• fluvoxamine + clonidine

fluvoxamine, clonidine. Either increases toxicity of the other by pharmacodynamic synergism. Use Caution/Monitor. CNS derpressant effects enhanced.

• desvenlafaxine + fluvoxamine

desvenlafaxine will increase the level or effect of fluvoxamine by affecting hepatic enzyme CYP2D6 metabolism. Use Caution/Monitor. With higher desvenlafaxine doses (eg, 400 mg) decrease CYP2D6 substrate dose by up to 50%; dose adjustment not necessary with desvenlafaxine doses <100mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Please update your drug signature.

We need to be able to see your drug history at a glance.  We need to see all drugs, doses and dates, details for the last 2 years and summary of anything older.  Please keep it simple.

Instructions of what is required:

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

I did not get an answer to this. My question was about the cut of the antidepressant. I saw what was said about the BP meds. I can't seem to get an answer to my question after several times of asking. In general, can someone feel very depressed weeks after cutting, that really is just a delayed reaction? I've taken the other meds for awhile. I hope to get off the propranolol and clonidine very soon. 

Metoprolol 25 g day

Making a reduction in the dose of an antidepressant can cause a spike in symptoms, one of which can be depression, anywhere from a couple of  hours to several weeks after the reduction. The severity of those symptoms depends on a lot of factors such as how high the dose is, how large the reduction was, secondary stress, other current medications and about a hundred other factors.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

13 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

Making a reduction in the dose of an antidepressant can cause a spike in symptoms, one of which can be depression, anywhere from a couple of  hours to several weeks after the reduction. The severity of those symptoms depends on a lot of factors such as how high the dose is, how large the reduction was, secondary stress, other current medications and about a hundred other factors.

"If" what I am feeling is due to the big Luvox cut do I just need to to give my brain more time to adjust and theoretically the symptoms should ease up with time? Is this common when people make reductions? From here on out I will only do small cuts, as the tapers suggested here. I don't feel ready to move down anymore rigjt now.

Metoprolol 25 g day

• Administrator

I've said repeatedly that your "depression" symptoms may be a result of your drug cocktail, particularly the multiple blood pressure drugs, any one of which can cause "depression". You may be attributing your symptoms to the wrong thing.

Please update your signature with ALL your current drugs, including dosages and when you started each one. No more answers to questions until you do this.

45 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

I've said repeatedly that your "depression" symptoms may be a result of your drug cocktail, particularly the multiple blood pressure drugs, any one of which can cause "depression". You may be attributing your symptoms to the wrong thing.

Please update your signature with ALL your current drugs, including dosages and when you started each one. No more answers to questions until you do this.

I appreciate your advice but it is coming across very rudely when I am just trying to get information. It was my doctor who I stupidly trusted who got me on all of these meds and I am trying to work myself out of this hole.Yes I know the blood pressure meds need to be changed for various reasons and I will speak to my Dr next week about this. The person who answered previously said yes a depressed feeling can also be due to an antidepressant cut. IF it is from that does it level out in time?

Metoprolol 25 g day

• Administrator

Yeah, I get it, but you're still not answering my questions, so no soup for you.

Tapering ADs is a very complex process for which we need all the information possible before we can make recommendations. That is why we keep asking for the information. Refusal to give the information indicates that you are not willing to work with us. Continuing to ask nebulous questions after being told not to, and refusing to give the requested information are grounds for getting a warning point, as is giving snarky replies.  If we don't receive the requested information we can not help you and will be issuing warning points, when you have acquired four (4) you will be automatically banned from the site.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking