Anyone had shingles, postherpetic pain, shingles vaccine?

SelmaLady

Does anyone know if this antiviral [shingles vaccine] causes problems while in w/d (destabilization) ?  I've just been dx'd with probable shingles and have been rx'd this.  Don't want to take it if it's as bad as an a/b (had horrible set back from penicillin in 2014) but don't want to NOT take it for fear of the shingles spreading.  I was given rx for Norco (Vicodin w/tylenol) which of course, I'm not going to take.  The pain of this is ....  bad.  Still, I would rather get through the pain w/d the Acyclovir if taking it would send me back where I was in 2014! 

Edited by Altostrata
merged similar topics

1971-81  Valium 5mg c/t PAWS     1992- through now Zoloft 25mg    2003-05 Valium 12mg Slow Taper Off

2013 Afrin Exposure to CNS    2013 O/D Val 230mg    2013 Doxepin 50mg Clonidine 2mg Zoloft 25mg

3/15/16  Doxepin 49mg Micro Tapering  Zoloft 24.3mg Holding taper

3/15/16 Clonidine mg 0.1 1/2 -    Decreasing incrementally.  DISCONTINUED

10/9/16  Doxepin 48.9  Zoloft 24.3  Clonidine  01.10  Continuing micro taper on Doxepin.

11/16/16 Doxepin 48mg  Zoloft 24.3mg  Clonidine 1.30mg

5/4/17  Doxepin 45mg  Zoloft 24mg  Clonidine 1.20mg   Micro taper of Doxepin  , Clonidine

01/13/19  Doxepin 45mg   Zoloft 21mg   Will start Micro taper of Doxepin 2/19

12/21/21  Doxepin 20 mg ?  Reducing using water micro taper--Pulling 24ml from 75ml

12/2121   Zoloft .060 grams by weight--HOLDING (info from post added by CC: On 12/21/21 my dosage was .060grams by weight or 20mg. )

26 Apr 2022 - Zoloft at -0-

Well, I decided against taking the Acyclovir---the pills are blue and the size of New Jersey.  Can't fathom that they wouldn't send me into a the same place I was with the a/b.  So I'm toughing it out and hoping that I won't have residual effects from the virus (ongoing pain, possible internal organ involvement).  With all the pain of this, it seems like a total manageable situation compared to the ongoing horror of brain chemistry upheaval.  Everything's relevant, huh?

1971-81  Valium 5mg c/t PAWS     1992- through now Zoloft 25mg    2003-05 Valium 12mg Slow Taper Off

2013 Afrin Exposure to CNS    2013 O/D Val 230mg    2013 Doxepin 50mg Clonidine 2mg Zoloft 25mg

10/9/16  Doxepin 48.9  Zoloft 24.3  Clonidine  01.10  Continuing micro taper on Doxepin.

5/4/17  Doxepin 45mg  Zoloft 24mg  Clonidine 1.20mg   Micro taper of Doxepin  , Clonidine

12/21/21  Doxepin 20 mg ?  Reducing using water micro taper--Pulling 24ml from 75ml

12/2121   Zoloft .060 grams by weight--HOLDING (info from post added by CC: On 12/21/21 my dosage was .060grams by weight or 20mg. )

• Moderator Emeritus

Well, I decided against taking the Acyclovir---the pills are blue and the size of New Jersey.  Can't fathom that they wouldn't send me into a the same place I was with the a/b.  So I'm toughing it out and hoping that I won't have residual effects from the virus (ongoing pain, possible internal organ involvement).  With all the pain of this, it seems like a total manageable situation compared to the ongoing horror of brain chemistry upheaval.  Everything's relevant, huh?

Selma...  I think you should PM Alto about this.. you don't want to potentially bring on residual effects unnecessarily.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Thanks Skyler!  I know that Alto doesn't like PM's (from own experience) and its really too late to start the meds now anyway.  You have to begin taking them within the first 24-48 hours or possibly w/i three days of the original outbreak.  I'm past that now.  I had to make that decision when I first posted this and since no one apparently has any knowledge and/or experience with this, I just decided to take the chance of complications.  Truly, I would rather have the possible side effects of the virus than what I went through last year with my reaction to penicillin--nothing could be worse than that.  Most people don't have residual effects and really, this outbreak doesn't seem too severe---And I'm certainly due for a good outcome to at least something! 

• 2 months later...

I wish I had seen this back when you had posted it! I hope things turned out okay for you. 

I tried taking Acyclovir a few months back, I believe I took two doses. The neuroemotions got significantly worse for me. I had posted on my intro. post to ask about it and Alto said to look at the possible side effects and that if there were any neurological side effects than it's a neuroactive drug...therefore will most likely ramp neuro symptoms. The intense neuroemotions decreased after I stopped taking it. I ended up applying essential oils and it cleared up pretty quick. 

Last taper was off of Lamictal (Lamotrigine): Started drop from 225 mg in April 2014 by going down 25 mg every 2 weeks. Then to 12.5 mg every 3 weeks. Then 10 mg every 3 weeks. Then 5 mg after 3.5 weeks. (using the chewable, dispersible pills) I had gone down to 30 mg, but was far too sick and went back up to 35. I then dropped back down to 30 mg, then 1 mg drops until 25 mg. Dropped off completely at 25 mg because the symptoms from taking the pills were becoming more unbearable than the withdrawal at times. Completely off as of 5/11/15. Update 10/28/15: Reinstated 0.0625 mg, meant to take 0.25, measured wrong. Only took 2 days.

I've gotten off of: Abilify, PRN Klonopin (0.5-1 mg) - no taper as took it infrequently, and Effexor (300 mg). Abilify and Effexor were rapid tapers around the beginning of 2014. After tapering Effexor and Abilify I tried taking Remeron and Topamax for a short time with very bad side effects. (I have taken numerous psych drugs over the years (starting in my early teens), but these were the ones I was on when getting off completely).

On 2/9/15, received a Promethazine injection for nausea, which caused pain, numbness, burning, shooting pain and was prescribed pain meds (made me sick and didn't help), 5 days of Prednisone, and some sort of anti-inflammatory. I had been doing somewhat better with Lamictal taper until this point.

Current Supplements: Omega-3 with Co Q-10: 1000 mg x 2, Vitamin C with Bioflavonoids and Rose Hips: 500 mg x 2, Multivitamin, Vitamin D, Probiotics

Dx: Asperger Syndrome (originally misdiagnosed Borderline Personality Disorder, ADHD), GAD, and PTSD

• 6 months later...

What essential oils or anything can be used to clear up shingles. My husband Casey does not want to take the Acyclovir. His outbreak is mild but lots of itching. He has been having ongoing breakouts for over a month. He absolutely cannot take any kind of drug that will cause any stress whatsoever.

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. 47 different drugs. Over 57 thousand pills. Tapered off final cocktail February 1st, 2013- September 9th, 2019. For Hashimotos I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. BP meds. For supplements I take B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.

• 2 months later...

I suspect I have shingles. Has anyone taken the anti viral meds while in WD? Thanks

Zoloft 6mg gabapentin 600 mg lamictal 25 mg

• 1 year later...

Has anyone had shingles and been given medication?

HELP!

I've not been  on site a long time as my husband  - strong and healthy and been my carer through w/d diagnosed severe illness a month ago and given 4 months... horrendous journey...hospital... surgery .... chemo... but just as background ... as my stress is beyond limits ..

then last week son attempted suicide again for 3rd time ... more stress ...

suddenly I am now carer for my husband and not coping ...

now I have shingles apparently and given VACLOVIR med for it.  Took the first dose of 2 tabs this morning. 

Saw a DIFFERENT doctor AGAIN (problem with our surgery is that to get in on same day you see the new practising docs - otherwise its 3 week wait to see your usual doc) I have had to resort to sleeping tabs again and told her JUST LOWEST LESS POTENT AS POSSISBLE.   She gave me amytriplatline 10mg.  Took 1 before bed and worked sort of ok, with same previous pattern of waking every 2 hours but was able to get back to sleep as it must have helped with the pain.  Took another one and this morning slightly whoozy, shakey and mild giddy.  Got home and now discover this is also an a/d.  My usual doctor gave me ALEPAM a few years ago (previous son suicide attemept) which I  think is benzo SERAPAX.

Now frightened about this other shingles med and how that will add t the mix.  Think if I take it I better stop the new a/d while on this shingles med?  Or just take the 1 new a/d at bedtime?

1995-2007      20mg Aropax/Paxil for pain.  Years of up and down doses

2008                Endep, Lexapro and then Esipram (hell!) CT (oh dear!)

2009                20mg Aropax.  Tried skipping doses for a year (more hell!)

2010                10mg.  10% taper.  Lasted 4 months. Crashed again

2011                5% taper. 9mg-7mg (hell got even worse!)

2012                2.5% taper.  6.6mg – 5.6mg (worser still & unbearable)

2013                5% taper.  Big mistake.  5.5mg – 4.6mg  (even worserer)

2014                2.5% taper.  4.9mg – 4.5mg;    2015 2.5% taper 4.4 - 4.0mg

2016                2.5% taper.  3.9mg  Feb 3.8   Mar 3.7  May 3.6   Jul 3.5

2017                2.5% taper.  Jan 3.4;   Mar 3.35;  Apr 3.3; Oct 3; Dec 2.9;

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

2019                Jan 2.2; Feb 2.1;

• ChessieCat changed the title to Anyone had shingles?

Firstly, 

I'm sorry that you're going through this. 

I'm a 33 year old whose had a bit too much on my plate. I was under severe stress early this year due to family problems, U.S. politics, not having work, looking for work and being rejected, selling items from my film collection to pay my student loans, being stung by bee that those stressors overwhelmed my immune system. I was taking my antidepressant (Trintellix), though due to the excess stress, it stopped working. I became aggressive towards my loves ones. I should had course corrected with a higher dose or start weaning myself from it, and resorted to the coping techniques my psychologist taught me.  It let me with getting shingles.

I had blood work done to make sure nothing organically was wrong with me, after a what my primary called 'pristine' blood work. Stress was the reason for my outbreak. I was taking 5mg of Trintellix, and stopped cold turkey and being going through discontinuation phase which has been horrible, though looking for work and knowing when I find work, my insurance will be cut. So, better go through it now. I had a horrendous experience with my psychiatrist through this period. He revealed to me after the fact that my antiviral (Acyclovir) that I took for my shingles didn't interact with my medication. I cut the bastard and now just trusting my care with my psychologist and primary. 

I'd say you must take the antivirals since it will be stop the spread from the rash and save you from burning nerve pain aftermath. Two of my closest friends also had shingles due to higher stressors and they're 28, and 25. 

Even though, I'm going through horrible withdrawals of my medication, I try to refocus myself in the moment which you should do to because if not, you run the risk of getting resurgence of shingles later on. You must do the same, since that immune system needs the rest. 

Go to this forum, since they're really responsive regarding shingles symptoms and what to do after the fact.  https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/shingles-2094 

Try to get supplements or natural foods that help boost your immune system. 

If you're able to find a therapist who could hear you out, and relieve some of that stress. 

Hugs, love. 

Trintellix (Brintellix) 5mg - December 2015 to Mid July 2018

Vitamin C 500mgs daily January 2019 - March 30 2019 Boost my immune system through my withdrawal - Stopped

Up and Up 3 Billion Probiotics - Daily for IBS. - Stopped

Up and Up 30 Billion Probiotics - Daily for IBS. - Stopped

June 16-26 2018: C/T to take Antiviral medication for Shingles outbreak (Due to excessive stress - SSRI Poop Out). 

June 27 2018: Reinstated (5mg)

July 14 2018 last dose due to acute withdrawal symptoms. 

• Moderator Emeritus

(((((Hi grandmaD,)))))

Oh boy........and hugs, sounds like some some really tough stuff right now.  I'm so sorry. 

I have never had shingles but have taken Acyclovir, another anti-viral medication.  I did get prescribed valcyclovir/ Valtrex last summer, when I had what was diagnosed as Erythema Multiforme.  When I got to the pharmacy, the pharmacist(druggist, chemist) was concerned,  so I held off on taking it, and the EM ran it's course without complications.  I'm assuming that Vaclovir is quite possibly the same medication.  It is used for shingles I see.  I do see that one of the listed side effects is what could be summed up as agitation(they list it as aggression- yikes).  I did find that I felt less of the internal agitation myself.......once off Acyclovir after I first arrived here and was still on drugs/medications.

And again......I've never had shingles, nor can I give you medical advice......... yet do understand that it can be quite painful. 

Do you have access to https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

Not only can you check drug interactions there, at the top you can plug in single drugs to learn more about them before you agree to blindly take them.  Or it gives you a chance to weigh and balance your options.  We're not a medical illness site, so perhaps you might take a look at what to expect with shingles online.  We have a "call a nurse" system here in the U.S.  I'm not familiar with what you might have there in the down under.

And others may pop in with some experience as well.

If you find the name of the medication differs or is not accepted at that site..........if I were you, I would just google check the name of the drug to find out what it is called by in other countries.  That's always works well for me.

17 hours ago, grandmaD said:

Saw a DIFFERENT doctor AGAIN (problem with our surgery is that to get in on same day you see the new practising docs - otherwise its 3 week wait to see your usual doc) I have had to resort to sleeping tabs again and told her JUST LOWEST LESS POTENT AS POSSISBLE.   She gave me amytriplatline 10mg.  Took 1 before bed and worked sort of ok, with same previous pattern of waking every 2 hours but was able to get back to sleep as it must have helped with the pain.  Took another one and this morning slightly whoozy, shakey and mild giddy.  Got home and now discover this is also an a/d.  My usual doctor gave me ALEPAM a few years ago (previous son suicide attemept) which I  think is benzo SERAPAX.

You might want to post this part, or some of this post, if not all, on your introduction as well.  Again, I think you can learn more about the drugs prescribed to you at the link I gave you.  So let me know if that is accessible to you.

I so wish you some on the ground support at this time.........is there anyone that you can call on?  I'm so sorry for all the struggles crises in your family right now.

And I hope you won't take offense(I don't think you will)........you and your family will certainly be in my prayers!  You are cared about!!!  🖤

Please do all the self care and Love right now that you can muster.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
Love! :-( :-) Hugs Elaboration

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thanks Manny and Many More Days for your kind support, help and advice, it all DOES HELP! 

I was frightened to take the anti-viral in case it gave me a bad reaction and unfortunately my brain wasn't working as I was in panic mode and forgot about the drug interchecker.

I was told it can get worse if you don't take it plus you are meant to take it within 36 hours for it to be effective.   It was a huge risk but I decided to take it as the pain was so severe, especially at night, preventing me from sleeping.

I wasn't convinced either, that it was shingles, since I have had burning, itching and prickling and needling sensation on my back for years now, which I put down to w/d.

Hubby also said I have had small red lumps like I have now before too.  It could be that I have had shingles come and go all these years and not realised it.

The lumps are not blisters and it is a small area and they are not sore or burning at present, just itchy.  What sent me to the docs was the severe deep muscle pain coming from deep inside and throbbing, coming in waves into either my back, right shoulder blade area or under ribcage or on my chest above my boob.  All on the right side of body.

The other reason I wasn't convinced is that I have scoliosis and I thought this pain was a result of that.

I went back to my usual doctor yesterday, and he confirmed it was shingles.

I have discovered that amyltriptaline is not only used for sleeping but for pain.  I found out panadol and ibuprofen didn't help the deep pain of the shingles.  So I went ahead and took 1 amyltriptaline and it did help with the pain as I was able to sleep.  Same sleep pattern as usual, waking every 2 hours but I got back to sleep.  Especially around the 2-4am mark when I usually cannot get back to sleep.  I woke at 3am and the pain was worse and I couldn't sleep so I took another one and slept till 8am! 

The only thing I noticed from taking the amyl. was I felt whoozy, weak and shakey on arising and all morning  and just whoozy till late afternoon.

I didn't take the amyl. last night but the pain was extremely bad this morning and had me in tears, along with sharp excruciating shooting pains.  So I took half an amyl.   I don't feel particularly tired from it,  but will take the other half at bedtime.

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

It is day 3 of taking the anti-virul and it seems to be okay.

However I am concerned about taking the amytrlptaline.

As you suggested, I have put up further information in my journal.

What I'm trying to find out is how to deal with the pain and going back to doc. tomorrow.

Manny, did you have excruciating pain?  If so, what did you take for it?

3 hours ago, grandmaD said:

It is day 3 of taking the anti-virul and it seems to be okay.

However I am concerned about taking the amytrlptaline.

As you suggested, I have put up further information in my journal.

What I'm trying to find out is how to deal with the pain and going back to doc. tomorrow.

Manny, did you have excruciating pain?  If so, what did you take for it?

Having had a close friend (25) younger than me (33) get shingles i was there with her and quickly recognized the rash and went to urgent care.  I was given rx for pain though catching it in time saved me from the pain. I got off lucky. Just filled the antiviral and disregarded the pain medication.  

What my ma did and recommend you doing is putting baking soda on the blisters to stop the itching. she put small amount of water and baking soda in a cup, mixed it together and turns it into a paste.  I contribute that to my quickly healing. 

I hope these symptoms go away since no one deserves to get this.  

Trintellix (Brintellix) 5mg - December 2015 to Mid July 2018

Vitamin C 500mgs daily January 2019 - March 30 2019 Boost my immune system through my withdrawal - Stopped

Up and Up 3 Billion Probiotics - Daily for IBS. - Stopped

Up and Up 30 Billion Probiotics - Daily for IBS. - Stopped

June 16-26 2018: C/T to take Antiviral medication for Shingles outbreak (Due to excessive stress - SSRI Poop Out). 

June 27 2018: Reinstated (5mg)

July 14 2018 last dose due to acute withdrawal symptoms. 

I’m 47 got shingles this past winter, I just rode it out , it’s very unbearable, especially in withdrawal. 

17 years on Zoloft, 47 years old now

3 years on Ativan for sleep cold turkeyed in 2014

Reinstated after 1 week, cold turkey again 1 month later with phenobarbital. Dp/dr, intrusive thoughts, insomnia, depression, still able to work, exercise heavily, be a parent

After 4 months went to doc, wanted off of Zoloft, didn’t know risks, starting dose 100mg

Rapid taper, got down to 35mg in 6 weeks.  hit real real trouble, akathesia, terror, awake for 6 weeks, hospitalization, put me in 15 temazapam to put me asleep, transfered to some swanky ocean front place in Malibu Ca. Massive polydrugged, got sicker and sicker

10mg zyprexa for 5 months, then tapered

1000mg depakote for 8 months, 10 month taper

Still on 15mg temazapam

Start SSRI taper in jan.

current dose 40mg Zoloft 

15mg temazapam 

I did do the baking soda too, but that’s it

17 years on Zoloft, 47 years old now

3 years on Ativan for sleep cold turkeyed in 2014

Reinstated after 1 week, cold turkey again 1 month later with phenobarbital. Dp/dr, intrusive thoughts, insomnia, depression, still able to work, exercise heavily, be a parent

After 4 months went to doc, wanted off of Zoloft, didn’t know risks, starting dose 100mg

Rapid taper, got down to 35mg in 6 weeks.  hit real real trouble, akathesia, terror, awake for 6 weeks, hospitalization, put me in 15 temazapam to put me asleep, transfered to some swanky ocean front place in Malibu Ca. Massive polydrugged, got sicker and sicker

10mg zyprexa for 5 months, then tapered

1000mg depakote for 8 months, 10 month taper

Still on 15mg temazapam

Start SSRI taper in jan.

current dose 40mg Zoloft 

15mg temazapam 

Thanks everyone for the tips.  Yes it is very cruel.  I guess it is intensified because of our nervous system being stuffed from w/d

Has anyone found that taking Lyrica/Pregabalin for shingles pain affects the w/d process?

Does anyone know if it SAFE to take?

Does anyone know how it works (for dummies)?

I found this info on Wikepedia which looks to me like something to do with calcium.  I wonder is it a calcium channel blocker?  I think that sort of med is for high blood pressure.  Is it the same thing, I wonder?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pregabalin

• 2 months later...

Just wondering if anyone has had shingles and then continued to have the aches, pains, shooting pains, burning and throbbing that goes with shingles?

Apparently my shingles rash has gone.  The severe itching that I thought was shingles I think has turned out to be dry skin/ dermatitis, etc. as a steroid ointment helped amazingly along with using a moisturiser daily.

• Moderator Emeritus

My mum was a shingles sufferer and after the visible signs had cleared up she was left with very painful areas.  The doctor ended up prescribing Pregabalin.  Back then I didn't know anything about psychiatric drugs.  She was suffering very badly with the pain.  I can't remember whether the Pregabalin helped or not.

From painmanagement.org.au:  Pregabalin (Lyrica) is from a class of medications called anti-epileptics. It is used to treat patients with neuropathic pain (from damaged nerves)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks Chessie cat for your reply and for the link.

I am guessing that my damaged nerves are from being on Paxil so long, and from w/d.  I keep getting desperate enough to try the Lyrica again too, but it is in a capsule, so to try and take less of it would be awkward.

I am fearful that taking something like Lyrica or the Amitryptaline  could just add further damage to the nerves, do you know anything about that? 

What was the cause of your mum's damaged nerves, do you know?  Was she on a/d's?

If I wasn't in w/d I'd be more likely to take it for a short time, but I just don't know if it will make w/d worse, especially in light of this last week, which was horrendous for w/d as well as the phn. 

My other concern is that it says on the packet "do not stop taking this medication abruptly" which set off alarm bells for me!

The link you sent plus others I read all say that it may not even work!  It can take several weeks for it to work and even then, you may have to keep up-dosing to maxiumum dose and sometimes not even that helps!

That link says it may even be necessary to take both Lyrica and amytriptaline! 

Between a rock and a hard place...

• Moderator Emeritus
3 minutes ago, grandmaD said:

What was the cause of your mum's damaged nerves, do you know?  Was she on a/d's?

It was assumed it was from the shingles.  However, your question about ADs reminded me that she had been on Zoloft.  I'm not sure if she went off Zoloft and if she did when she went off it.  I know that during the few years before she died she was on a shopping list of drugs.  I threw the list out so I have no idea what she was on.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

I think it's more likely that the nerve damage was from the shingle virus.  Have a look into topical capsaicin cream and capsaicin patches.  Capsaicin is the chemical in chillies and capsicums that makes them "hot".  These are applied locally to the painful areas, which could be an advantage over the drugs you mention which affect your whole system. 

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Moderator Emeritus

• 3 months later...

yes i've had those and so painful!

caused by same virus as chicken pox, usually brouhgt on by stress. 

mine ocurred up one thigh . almost always on one side of your meridian (line up middle of body's nervous paths)

hope you found relief.

UPDATED: 9/01/2019

Quetiapine:  2000-2005: 50mg;  2005: 100mg;   2008: 400mg;   2011: 100mg;   2014: 300mg;   2014-2017: 400mg;  7/2018-2/2019: 75mg;  1/2019: 68.75mg;  4/2019: completed switch to 3x daily dosing (25mg 8AM, 18.75mg 4PM, 25mg MIDNITE);  5/2019: 68.75mg (switched to all liquid taper using HUMCO suspension agent)  8/2019: 61mg       

Clonazepam:  2008: 2mg then 0.25mg;   2012: 0.5mg;   2014: 1mg;   4/2019: 1mg ~completed switch to 3x daily dosing (0.25mg 8AM, 0.25mg 2PM, 0.5mg 8PM);   8/2019: 1mg (switched to all liquid taper using propylene glycol as solvent)    

Gabapentin:   2011: 100mg;   2011: 200mg TID    2014: 300mg;  2017: 600mg;   2019: 900mg PM;   3/2019: completed switch to 3x daily dosing (300mg q8h)

Prior drugs: Please see this link:    (the remaining dates & meds records will be updated as i receive my complete medical files.)

Suppl's: Deva Vegan Multi & Mineral Supplement w/Greens 1x, Magnesium Lysinate Glycinate Chelate 100mg 4x, vit c 1000mg  2x, zinc gluconate 50mg 1x q.o.d., Allicin Max 180mg TID,  chlorella/spirulina 50/50 blend 2tabs 5x daily

HRT:  300mg oral progesterone h.s., 0.1mg estradiol transdermal patch 2x week

• Altostrata changed the title to Anyone had shingles, postherpetic pain, shingles vaccine?
  • 2 years later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I had both Shingrix vaccines, and after each one, I had a wave that lasted about 6 to 8 weeks.  This makes sense, since shingles affects the nervous system.  If I had it to do over again, I would have waited until after I was recovered from SSRI PAWS to take the Shingrix vaccines.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy