grandmaD

Anyone had shingles?

grandmaD

Has anyone had shingles and been given medication?

HELP!

I've not been  on site a long time as my husband  - strong and healthy and been my carer through w/d diagnosed severe illness a month ago and given 4 months... horrendous journey...hospital... surgery .... chemo... but just as background ... as my stress is beyond limits ..

then last week son attempted suicide again for 3rd time ... more stress ...

suddenly I am now carer for my husband and not coping ...

now I have shingles apparently and given VACLOVIR med for it.  Took the first dose of 2 tabs this morning. 

Saw a DIFFERENT doctor AGAIN (problem with our surgery is that to get in on same day you see the new practising docs - otherwise its 3 week wait to see your usual doc) I have had to resort to sleeping tabs again and told her JUST LOWEST LESS POTENT AS POSSISBLE.   She gave me amytriplatline 10mg.  Took 1 before bed and worked sort of ok, with same previous pattern of waking every 2 hours but was able to get back to sleep as it must have helped with the pain.  Took another one and this morning slightly whoozy, shakey and mild giddy.  Got home and now discover this is also an a/d.  My usual doctor gave me ALEPAM a few years ago (previous son suicide attemept) which I  think is benzo SERAPAX.

Now frightened about this other shingles med and how that will add t the mix.  Think if I take it I better stop the new a/d while on this shingles med?  Or just take the 1 new a/d at bedtime?

manny03

Firstly, 

I'm sorry that you're going through this. 

I'm a 33 year old whose had a bit too much on my plate. I was under severe stress early this year due to family problems, U.S. politics, not having work, looking for work and being rejected, selling items from my film collection to pay my student loans, being stung by bee that those stressors overwhelmed my immune system. I was taking my antidepressant (Trintellix), though due to the excess stress, it stopped working. I became aggressive towards my loves ones. I should had course corrected with a higher dose or start weaning myself from it, and resorted to the coping techniques my psychologist taught me.  It let me with getting shingles.

I had blood work done to make sure nothing organically was wrong with me, after a what my primary called 'pristine' blood work. Stress was the reason for my outbreak. I was taking 5mg of Trintellix, and stopped cold turkey and being going through discontinuation phase which has been horrible, though looking for work and knowing when I find work, my insurance will be cut. So, better go through it now. I had a horrendous experience with my psychiatrist through this period. He revealed to me after the fact that my antiviral (Acyclovir) that I took for my shingles didn't interact with my medication. I cut the bastard and now just trusting my care with my psychologist and primary. 

I'd say you must take the antivirals since it will be stop the spread from the rash and save you from burning nerve pain aftermath. Two of my closest friends also had shingles due to higher stressors and they're 28, and 25. 

Even though, I'm going through horrible withdrawals of my medication, I try to refocus myself in the moment which you should do to because if not, you run the risk of getting resurgence of shingles later on. You must do the same, since that immune system needs the rest. 

Go to this forum, since they're really responsive regarding shingles symptoms and what to do after the fact.  https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/shingles-2094 

Try to get supplements or natural foods that help boost your immune system. 

If you're able to find a therapist who could hear you out, and relieve some of that stress. 

Hugs, love. 

manymoretodays

(((((Hi grandmaD,)))))

Oh boy........and hugs, sounds like some some really tough stuff right now.  I'm so sorry. 

I have never had shingles but have taken Acyclovir, another anti-viral medication.  I did get prescribed valcyclovir/ Valtrex last summer, when I had what was diagnosed as Erythema Multiforme.  When I got to the pharmacy, the pharmacist(druggist, chemist) was concerned,  so I held off on taking it, and the EM ran it's course without complications.  I'm assuming that Vaclovir is quite possibly the same medication.  It is used for shingles I see.  I do see that one of the listed side effects is what could be summed up as agitation(they list it as aggression- yikes).  I did find that I felt less of the internal agitation myself.......once off Acyclovir after I first arrived here and was still on drugs/medications.

And again......I've never had shingles, nor can I give you medical advice......... yet do understand that it can be quite painful. 

Do you have access to https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

Not only can you check drug interactions there, at the top you can plug in single drugs to learn more about them before you agree to blindly take them.  Or it gives you a chance to weigh and balance your options.  We're not a medical illness site, so perhaps you might take a look at what to expect with shingles online.  We have a "call a nurse" system here in the U.S.  I'm not familiar with what you might have there in the down under.

And others may pop in with some experience as well.

If you find the name of the medication differs or is not accepted at that site..........if I were you, I would just google check the name of the drug to find out what it is called by in other countries.  That's always works well for me.

17 hours ago, grandmaD said:

Saw a DIFFERENT doctor AGAIN (problem with our surgery is that to get in on same day you see the new practising docs - otherwise its 3 week wait to see your usual doc) I have had to resort to sleeping tabs again and told her JUST LOWEST LESS POTENT AS POSSISBLE.   She gave me amytriplatline 10mg.  Took 1 before bed and worked sort of ok, with same previous pattern of waking every 2 hours but was able to get back to sleep as it must have helped with the pain.  Took another one and this morning slightly whoozy, shakey and mild giddy.  Got home and now discover this is also an a/d.  My usual doctor gave me ALEPAM a few years ago (previous son suicide attemept) which I  think is benzo SERAPAX.

You might want to post this part, or some of this post, if not all, on your introduction as well.  Again, I think you can learn more about the drugs prescribed to you at the link I gave you.  So let me know if that is accessible to you.

I so wish you some on the ground support at this time.........is there anyone that you can call on?  I'm so sorry for all the struggles crises in your family right now.

And I hope you won't take offense(I don't think you will)........you and your family will certainly be in my prayers!  You are cared about!!!  🖤

Please do all the self care and Love right now that you can muster.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
Love! :-( :-) Hugs Elaboration

grandmaD

Thanks Manny and Many More Days for your kind support, help and advice, it all DOES HELP! 

I was frightened to take the anti-viral in case it gave me a bad reaction and unfortunately my brain wasn't working as I was in panic mode and forgot about the drug interchecker.

I was told it can get worse if you don't take it plus you are meant to take it within 36 hours for it to be effective.   It was a huge risk but I decided to take it as the pain was so severe, especially at night, preventing me from sleeping.

I wasn't convinced either, that it was shingles, since I have had burning, itching and prickling and needling sensation on my back for years now, which I put down to w/d.

Hubby also said I have had small red lumps like I have now before too.  It could be that I have had shingles come and go all these years and not realised it.

The lumps are not blisters and it is a small area and they are not sore or burning at present, just itchy.  What sent me to the docs was the severe deep muscle pain coming from deep inside and throbbing, coming in waves into either my back, right shoulder blade area or under ribcage or on my chest above my boob.  All on the right side of body.

The other reason I wasn't convinced is that I have scoliosis and I thought this pain was a result of that.

I went back to my usual doctor yesterday, and he confirmed it was shingles.

I have discovered that amyltriptaline is not only used for sleeping but for pain.  I found out panadol and ibuprofen didn't help the deep pain of the shingles.  So I went ahead and took 1 amyltriptaline and it did help with the pain as I was able to sleep.  Same sleep pattern as usual, waking every 2 hours but I got back to sleep.  Especially around the 2-4am mark when I usually cannot get back to sleep.  I woke at 3am and the pain was worse and I couldn't sleep so I took another one and slept till 8am! 

The only thing I noticed from taking the amyl. was I felt whoozy, weak and shakey on arising and all morning  and just whoozy till late afternoon.

I didn't take the amyl. last night but the pain was extremely bad this morning and had me in tears, along with sharp excruciating shooting pains.  So I took half an amyl.   I don't feel particularly tired from it,  but will take the other half at bedtime.

grandmaD

It is day 3 of taking the anti-virul and it seems to be okay.

However I am concerned about taking the amytrlptaline.

As you suggested, I have put up further information in my journal.

What I'm trying to find out is how to deal with the pain and going back to doc. tomorrow.

Manny, did you have excruciating pain?  If so, what did you take for it?

manny03
3 hours ago, grandmaD said:

It is day 3 of taking the anti-virul and it seems to be okay.

However I am concerned about taking the amytrlptaline.

As you suggested, I have put up further information in my journal.

What I'm trying to find out is how to deal with the pain and going back to doc. tomorrow.

Manny, did you have excruciating pain?  If so, what did you take for it?

Having had a close friend (25) younger than me (33) get shingles i was there with her and quickly recognized the rash and went to urgent care.  I was given rx for pain though catching it in time saved me from the pain. I got off lucky. Just filled the antiviral and disregarded the pain medication.  

What my ma did and recommend you doing is putting baking soda on the blisters to stop the itching. she put small amount of water and baking soda in a cup, mixed it together and turns it into a paste.  I contribute that to my quickly healing. 

I hope these symptoms go away since no one deserves to get this.  

Oceanrat

I’m 47 got shingles this past winter, I just rode it out , it’s very unbearable, especially in withdrawal. 

Oceanrat

I did do the baking soda too, but that’s it

grandmaD

Thanks everyone for the tips.  Yes it is very cruel.  I guess it is intensified because of our nervous system being stuffed from w/d

grandmaD

Has anyone found that taking Lyrica/Pregabalin for shingles pain affects the w/d process?

Does anyone know if it SAFE to take?

Does anyone know how it works (for dummies)?

I found this info on Wikepedia which looks to me like something to do with calcium.  I wonder is it a calcium channel blocker?  I think that sort of med is for high blood pressure.  Is it the same thing, I wonder?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pregabalin

noearthlyfamily

yes i've had those and so painful!

caused by same virus as chicken pox, usually brouhgt on by stress. 

mine ocurred up one thigh . almost always on one side of your meridian (line up middle of body's nervous paths)

hope you found relief.