SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Jules1234: struggling with trintellix withdrawal

Jules1234

I was on 5mg of Trintellix for a little over a month to treat negative thoughts/mild depression. I had dealt with some anxiety before but stemming from rumination, not creating major physical symptoms. After a while on the trintellix I had a panic attack unlike anything I had ever had before. It really scared me. My psychiatrist said “hmm, that’s weird” stay on it if you can, so I did. The next couple weeks I actually felt pretty good. The trintellix gave me some space from my negative thinking. But then I had a couple more panic attacks and decided I was done with it - the panic was way worse than anything I had experienced before I went on the trintellix. 

The doctor said I could just stop taking the trintellix bc it was only 5mg. I should mention that I am highly sensitive to drugs. I was okay at first when I stopped but then I progressively started having more anxiety and more panic. Now I’m 5 weeks from my last dose and I have almost constant anxiety, nausea, waves of intense panic, diarrhea, nausea, heart palpitations. I’m taking .25 of Ativan daily as needed to help. I am in a way worse state than I was when I started the drugs. I keep telling myself that this must be from

the trintellix since I never experienced panic attacks and intense anxiety before I started this medication, but I’m starting to give myself even more anxiety that there is something else horribly wrong. 

2018 - trintellix 5mg. Stopped July 2018, didn’t taper. Also take .25mg Ativan either every day or every other day for anxiety.

2009 - cymbalta (don’t remember much about it)

2004 - Effexor (don’t recall dose)

• ChessieCat changed the title to Jules1234: struggling with trintellix withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jules, welcome to SA.  I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time with Trintellix withdrawal.  Unfortunately doctors have all kinds of wrong ideas about ADs.

Are you currently taking any other meds?  Have you taken other meds previously?  It would be helpful if you could create a signature containing a summary of your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  Your signature appears below every post you make, and helps us see your situation easily without having to read from the top every time.   You could look at my signature for an example.  Instructions for creating your signature are here: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.  You can edit your signature here: edit your signature in Account Settings.

It's possible that reinstatement of a small dose of Trintellix could alleviate withdrawal symptoms to some degree, although may not be a complete cure for all your symptoms.  Starting with a tiny dose to begin with can make it easier for your system to adjust and reduce the risk of an adverse reaction.   Please read this topic (particularly the top post) : about reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms.  See this topic for how to create smaller doses of Trintellix:  Tips for tapering vortioxetine / Trintellix / Brintellix.

Please be cautious with the Ativan.  If used regularly it can also create dependence and need to be tapered off slowly.

Please post all your updates and questions about your situation here in your introduction topic, and we will try to help you as best we can.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

I tried to make a signature - hope it worked. My biggest issues right now are the extreme nausea and dry mouth  I’m experiencing. I took a generic zofran (4mg) today hoping for some relief but it was minimal and just gave me a headache. I also have IBS and think the trintellix withdrawal caused a big flare up as well. Is nausea 6 weeks after stopping normal or is this unrelated? 

I’m also struggling with a ton of anxiety that is all new from the withdrawal (I stopped the trintellix bc it caused panic attacks).

I don’t want to go back on the Trintellix because the panic attacks it caused were horrendous. Should I go back to my psychiatrist? He seemed pretty worthless when I told him about the hard time I’ve been having. He pretty much shrugged his shoulders and gave me a script for Ativan.

Any advice would be great appreciated. I feel so bad I feel like I should go to the doctor but not sure what she would even do. Feeling helpless.

2018 - trintellix 5mg. Stopped July 2018, didn’t taper. Also take .25mg Ativan either every day or every other day for anxiety.

43 minutes ago, Jules1234 said:

I tried to make a signature - hope it worked. My biggest issues right now are the extreme nausea and dry mouth  I’m experiencing. I took a generic zofran (4mg) today hoping for some relief but it was minimal and just gave me a headache. I also have IBS and think the trintellix withdrawal caused a big flare up as well. Is nausea 6 weeks after stopping normal or is this unrelated? 

I’m also struggling with a ton of anxiety that is all new from the withdrawal (I stopped the trintellix bc it caused panic attacks).

I don’t want to go back on the Trintellix because the panic attacks it caused were horrendous. Should I go back to my psychiatrist? He seemed pretty worthless when I told him about the hard time I’ve been having. He pretty much shrugged his shoulders and gave me a script for Ativan.

Any advice would be great appreciated. I feel so bad I feel like I should go to the doctor but not sure what she would even do. Feeling helpless.

I'd go with another psychiatrist who is understanding and knows what to do. I had to fire mine since he blamed my symptoms to antivirals i took for shingles due to excessive stress. Though that was in June and were now in September  

Trintellix (Brintellix) 5mg - December 2015 to Mid July 2018

Vitamin C 500mgs daily January 2019 - March 30 2019 Boost my immune system through my withdrawal - Stopped

Up and Up 3 Billion Probiotics - Daily for IBS. - Stopped

Up and Up 30 Billion Probiotics - Daily for IBS. - Stopped

June 16-26 2018: C/T to take Antiviral medication for Shingles outbreak (Due to excessive stress - SSRI Poop Out). 

June 27 2018: Reinstated (5mg)

July 14 2018 last dose due to acute withdrawal symptoms. 

Yesterday I had a much better day. The nausea was significany more mild, I was actually hungry for lunch and the anxiety was way lower (I didn’t even need to take an Ativan). I went to acupuncture as well and felt actually good afterward. I was so encouraged. Today I woke up and was okay, but have been feeling the major waves of anxiety, dizziness and nausea again and feel like I’m taking five steps backwards. The anxiety comes out of nowhere - not triggered by my thoughts or stressful situations. It’s like body body just decides to go haywire. I’ve been doing deep breathing and trying to eat a little and move forward. But this is so disheartening. Before I went on the trintellix I had never had a panic attack and never had my body awash in anxiety like it had once I started it (and it’s still happening 6 weeks after stopping!). 

I should add that I do have a lot of health anxiety and this situation is making that so much worse. It’s taking all my will to stay off google. I’m just so freaked out about what’s going on :( 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jules,

Yes, that sounds like a good idea to not over google every symptom.

How are you doing today?

We have a lot of stuff collected on and off site as far as coping with fears/anxiety.  So I will include some links here.

Non-drug techniques to cope

Acupuncture

Relaxation exercises, guided meditations
Dr. Claire Weekes method of recovering from a sensitized nervous system

Neuroemotion

Health anxiety

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 2 months later...

Jules,

How is it going? How are the symptoms? How is tapering going?

May 2013 - Jun 2016: Lexapro 

Jul 2016 - May 2017: Zoloft

Dec 2017 - Jan 2018: Wellbutrin

Jan 2018 - Present: Trintellix 

April 2018 - Jul 2018: Ativan

July 1st: Stopped Ativan (1 mg)

Aug 2018 - Present: Adderall XR

February 10th: Stopped Trintellix (5mg)

Current Medications:

Adderall IR 10mg (January 1, 2019)

Current Supplements:

Ultra EPA/DHA Fish Oil -  30 min of Light Box Therapy daily