SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

trenace: is this serious withdrawal after a year?

trenace

Hi all, I'm at a complete loss regarding my situation so I'll start from the beginning. During the summer of 2016 around july I began taking Sertraline 20mg for what I would now describe as mild anxiety, when struggling with initial sides of increased anxiety and sudden insomnia my doctor prescribed me flupentixol which I then took with the sertraline for around 3 months and then went cold turkey on due to severe drowsiness. I continued the sertraline for around 9 months before going cold turkey. I'm so confused regarding my situation because in order to cope with the insomnia I also smoked weed every night whilst taking it to help me sleep which seemed to work wonders. Even after dropping the sertraline I continued smoking weed in order to help me sleep. I had actually never smoked weed prior to this insomnia (I was 26 BTW) and it was a friend's suggestion. Anyway I attempted to quit smoking several times last year after dropping the ssri but noticed an extreme feeling of anxiety at all times whenever I did and and inability to sleep until early hours of the morning. This pattern went on until early this year where I smoked once again before bed internally praying that I would be able to stop somehow. That night and for the next month I suffered the most extreme anxiety attacks I never thought possible, which definitly helped me to cut the weed permanantly. The strange thing is, ever since then I have experienced various symptoms associated with withdrawal which are, 

Extreme rage/anxiety/depression constantly alternating. 

Headaches sometimes unbearable migraines. 

Horrendous restlessness which after reading some accounts on this site I think is akathisia. 

Burning and aching throughout my body. 

Extreme hatred towards family and friends which comes and goes. 

Blurred vison

Awful digestive problems (burping nonstop everyday, diarrhea and constipation and bleeding. Bloating

Brain fog feels as though someone has hold of my brain smothering it. 

Vibrating in my ears. 

Sometimes I spend the entire day crying uncontrollably with anguish twisting my hands and feet with worry and anxiety. 

Muscles twitching all day and almost zero appetite. 

I guess my question is, Can withdrawal sometimes take a year to fully manifest? because the weed aswell as cbd oil seemed to keep the anxiety and insomnia at bay then suddenly almost a year after dropping the sertraline I developed all these mental and physical symptoms. Or is there something else wrong with me because I've had cameras in me, been to three different doctors and various homeopaths and they say everything seems fine when it clearly isn't. I've lost my job my friends three stones and it feels as if I've lost control over my entire body and mind. Someone please help lol. I have many other symptoms to an extreme degree but I've actually lost track of everything I'm going through. Still sane though I think.(hope) 

Fluanxol dosage n/a - 6 months cold turkey Start/ may 2015 end/august 2015

Sertraline 100mg - 10 months cold turkey start/ may 2015 End/Feb 2016

• Moderator Emeritus

trenace,

Welcome to SA.  The link below discusses delayed withdrawal. 

Here another discussion:

Delayed onset of withdrawal symptoms

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• ChessieCat changed the title to trenace: Is this serious withdrawal after a year?
11 hours ago, trenace said:

I guess my question is, Can withdrawal sometimes take a year to fully manifest?

Hi, 

For your info, my mild withdrawal symptoms appeared after 4 years, from a very very slow tapering of 20 mg citalopram!! 

Citalopram 20 mg

Mid June 1994- end March 1995 Then tapering 3 months 

Mid August 1995-end August 1996 Tapering 6 months 

Mid January 2000-end September 2001 Tapering 6 months

Mid October 2003-end October 2005 Tapering 7 years. 

More detailed drug history is here - ☼-kostas

Off any drug from October 2012 

Thanks guys, It's really strange because when it first started early this year I assumed my stomach was causing the issues so I switched up my diet and eliminated anything that could be causing me issues. (gluten, sugar etc) But my symptoms all worsened and I reacted terribly to anything that could benefit me it seemed. Is this common with withdrawal? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Many of your symptoms are common in withdrawal.  See this link:

PDF Monthly List of Dr Glenmullen's Symptoms to Print 

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you for the info. For a year i thought anxiety and insomnia would be the worst of my symptoms. But I have a strong feeling now that the ssri may have ruined my life. Wow ignorance isn't bliss after all

• Moderator Emeritus

You will heal.  I know it feels like your life is ruined, but you will heal.  It will just take some time.  Google "SurvivingAntidepressants Zoloft success stories."

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/11/2018 at 2:07 AM, Gridley said:

You will heal.  I know it feels like your life is ruined, but you will heal.  It will just take some time.  Google "SurvivingAntidepressants Zoloft success stories."

Exactly @trenace you are going to heal,

-if you are able (no disability) start walking / running from today, start with 15 to 30 minutes and then slowly upgrade to 45 to 60 minutes,  you will feel better within days and weeks, I just noticed you have lost some weight so 30 minutes a day is enough.

-once you start feeling better start any job that suits you, is easy on your nerves, staying busy is they key.

-Make fresh juices for yourself, for breakfast take white oats in milk with honey, make it your breakfast, its a Sunnah as well, take dry fruits, walnuts have a shape like our brains for a reason, banana milk shake is also very good produces good tryptophan. 

-Last but not the least 5 times of Prayers and whenever you feel down recite La-hol-walla-Quwat-Illah-Billah, does wonders for me, All the power belongs to Allah.

Also kindly tell me was Sertraline 50 mg tablet  or just 20 mg of liquid every day ?

1995 to 1997: different antidepressants at maintenance dosages along with benzos 3 times a day.  

1998 to 2000: Citalopram 20mg + Benzo twice daily.

2001 to 2015: Sertraline 50 mg + Alprazolam (half of 0.25 mg once daily which is next to nothing)

2016 to 2017: Sertraline 50 mg + Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 25 mg (NO BENZO)

2017 to 2018: Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 50 mg  (NO BENZO)

2018 (Earlier): Olanzapine (Zyprexa) 5 mg + Clonazepam 0.25 mg x 2 daily (7 weeks on Olanzapine was a disaster, antipsychotics are not for panic disorder)

2018 August : Sertraline 50 mg for 20 days (couldn't take it any longer) + Clonazepam.

2018 Sept. 1st week: Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 25 mg + Clonazepam 0.25 mg -- 2018 Sept. 2nd week: Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 12.5mg +Clonazepam 0.25 mg 

2018 November: Clonazepam 0.50 mg at night (for sleep disturbed by tinnitus)

2019 January to now: Clonazepam 0.25 mg at night and 0.25 mg in the morning.

Remember: Going out for a Walk or for a Change does help, it may take a few days or weeks or months for some, but it definitely helps.

Here is Knowledge for you: The more you Know about your sickness the more bad it is for you, so forget about it !

Salaam and thank you for the reply and advice. My symptoms at the moment are all over the place. Thankfully I have a boss who is letting me take as much time off as I need and a family who are supporting me during this time alhamdulillah. I can already say I've improved soo much over the last two months and I genuinely do believe I will get better in time. The only thing setting me back from working right now is that everyday is so unpredictable. I can still switch back to square one every so often. I was taking Sertraline tablets but I don't know how many mg. I'm sure it was 20mg but can't even remember properly. Jk brother. 

Also a huge setback for me at the moment is my stomach. I've had allergy Intolerance tests and I'm not allergic or intolerant to anything. I also don't have any bacterial infection or an overgrowth of any kind. It's extremely bloated and uncomfortable and I'm burping all day every day. I take warm water honey every morning but don't seem to be able to tolerate black seed oil as it makes my stomach worse. 😂 I've been to so many different people now I think duaas and prayers will help me more than anything so I'm just praying and hoping I'll become healthy enough to work and get back to gym. I do exercise right now but minimal. I could go on all day but going to pray jummah now. Jummah mubarak and thank you for replying to me. 

On 10/5/2018 at 11:11 PM, trenace said:

Also a huge setback for me at the moment is my stomach. I've had allergy Intolerance tests and I'm not allergic or intolerant to anything. I also don't have any bacterial infection or an overgrowth of any kind. It's extremely bloated and uncomfortable and I'm burping all day every day. I take warm water honey every morning but don't seem to be able to tolerate black seed oil as it makes my stomach worse. 😂 I've been to so many different people now I think duaas and prayers will help me more than anything so I'm just praying and hoping I'll become healthy enough to work and get back to gym. I do exercise right now but minimal. I could go on all day but going to pray jummah now. Jummah mubarak and thank you for replying to me. 

MOD NOTE:  Please see this post regarding the suggestions made here

Try to keep your nerves calm, listen to good things, see good things, do good things like half an hour of walk regularly, your stomach will soon be fine, just dont let your mind think about your stomach, stay busy,

take some herb or other supplement to calm your nerves, i personally don't use any supplements so you'll have to ask someone knowledgeable to guide you into the right direction, I have read it here and google that there are supplements that make you calm, trying 1 of them maybe good for you.  

Edited by ChessieCat
mod note

1995 to 1997: different antidepressants at maintenance dosages along with benzos 3 times a day.  

2001 to 2015: Sertraline 50 mg + Alprazolam (half of 0.25 mg once daily which is next to nothing)

2018 (Earlier): Olanzapine (Zyprexa) 5 mg + Clonazepam 0.25 mg x 2 daily (7 weeks on Olanzapine was a disaster, antipsychotics are not for panic disorder)

2018 August : Sertraline 50 mg for 20 days (couldn't take it any longer) + Clonazepam.

2018 Sept. 1st week: Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 25 mg + Clonazepam 0.25 mg -- 2018 Sept. 2nd week: Dosulepin (Prothiaden) 12.5mg +Clonazepam 0.25 mg 

Remember: Going out for a Walk or for a Change does help, it may take a few days or weeks or months for some, but it definitely helps.

Here is Knowledge for you: The more you Know about your sickness the more bad it is for you, so forget about it !

• ChessieCat changed the title to trenace: is this serious withdrawal after a year?
  • Moderator Emeritus
14 hours ago, Ather said:

take some herb or other supplement to calm your nerves,

The only supplements which SA recommends are Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil.  Try a small amount of one, one at a time, to see how you react.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

16 hours ago, Ather said:

MOD NOTE:  Please see this post regarding the suggestions made here

Try to keep your nerves calm, listen to good things, see good things, do good things like half an hour of walk regularly, your stomach will soon be fine, just dont let your mind think about your stomach, stay busy,

take some herb or other supplement to calm your nerves, i personally don't use any supplements so you'll have to ask someone knowledgeable to guide you into the right direction, I have read it here and google that there are supplements that make you calm, trying 1 of them maybe good for you.  

Salaam again hope your doing well. Thank you I'm trying to distract myself everyday and it does really help (apart from days my symptoms become unmanageable which alhamdulillah are becoming less). I think when my stomach handles foods better I can start to fully recover because I belive food is medicine. Inshallah Allah gives us all a speedy recovery and makes it easy for us. Take care inshallah. Salaam brother. 

18 hours ago, trenace said:

Salaam again hope your doing well. Thank you I'm trying to distract myself everyday and it does really help (apart from days my symptoms become unmanageable which alhamdulillah are becoming less). I think when my stomach handles foods better I can start to fully recover because I belive food is medicine. Inshallah Allah gives us all a speedy recovery and makes it easy for us. Take care inshallah. Salaam brother. 

Walikum Salam Brother,

Distraction is the key,

You are healing my man,

Soon a day will come when you'll look back and laugh at it :)

May Almighty bless you, me and all those who are suffering with Great health, Aameen.

Your's 

Ather.

Jummah mubarak brother. You have no idea how much of an impact your positive words have especially on really bad days. Inshallah inshallah Ameen. Take care brother speak soon. 

Salaams. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I hope everyone's okay. I need advice please but I don't know where to ask. A quick update first, I've improved in some ways but not in others and some things improve then come back lol so this process is constantly playing tricks on me. 😤 My questions about my gas, bloating, diarrhea and constipation. I've been to the symptoms area of the site but can't really relate it to myself so struggling to proceed. I have no bad bacteria like sibo or h pylori, but I do have gastritus. Is it a good idea for me to try to increase my stomach acid and try digestive enzymes because I think I have low stomach acid and if my digestion gets sorted ill be well on my way to recovering. Also every now and then I get really bad dark disabling depression and suicidal thoughts which scare me really bad. Has anyone got tips for coping through days like that? because it's horrible and I find it really hard to scrape through. I read here alot but mostly just scare myself lol so then I read success stories to balance my fear out 😂 Hope to hear from someone soon you guys are actually awesome if I get better one day I'll definitely try and help other too. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi trenace,

1 hour ago, trenace said:

I think I have low stomach acid

I suggest you discuss this with your doctor.  There may be a test which will detect if this is the case.  Then at least you will know and if yes, you can treat it accordingly.  Thinking you have something and trying to treat it is not going to be helpful if you don't actually have the issue.

Please see Alto's comment regarding this.

1 hour ago, trenace said:

I've improved in some ways but not in others and some things improve then come back lol so this process is constantly playing tricks on me.

"Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are trying to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were trying to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and trying to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while life is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made."

And this:  Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery 

digestive-problems-nausea-diarrhoea-bloating-gerd

depression-and-anxiety-cycles

Neuro Emotions

dealing-with-emotional-spirals

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

for-those-who-are-feeling-desperate-or-suicidal

Please create your drug signature.  This will appear below every post you make.  This allows us to see your history at a glance.  Thank you.

Please include the following information.  Please be as accurate as possible about the dates and doses.  Please make it nice simple by following these instructions (NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you).  Please update it whenever you make a change:

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Edited by ChessieCat
inserted link to Alto's response

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Administrator

Digestive enzymes might be fine to try. Take just a little bit first, to see how you do with them.

You may also want to go on a calming diet for a while, see Elimination or exclusion diets for reactions to food (food intolerance)

Once your stomach gets functioning in a more normal manner, your digestion might correct itself.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for chiming in Alto.

Alto has more experience with this than I do.  I've edited my comment.

Wow there's alot to consider with food, the only thing I know atm is that I tolerate foods that are no good for me lol. Thanks for the advice guys I'm going to try an keep soldiering on. In Islam we're told that God never burdens a soul with more than it can bear. So no matter how difficult this is, I must be able to handle it. Take care guys and thank you. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again. Has anyone's digestive system just remained permanently damaged. I don't know what to do now. I've tried Probiotics Betaine hcl digestive enzymes candida herbs differwnt diets, but all foods just give me different digestive problems. I'm bloated and burping from the moment I wake up to when I sleep. And my moods are completleu all over the place raging and irritated and then in a state od pure terror and then in a really deep depression. like I don't have a single moment where I'm without symptoms. Can't even nap because it triggers panic and makes me scared everytime I wake up. Sleep at nights pretty bad too and I've started thrashing around during sleep and having bad nightmares which wake me up all night. Got pssd too. Been thinking alot about suicide lately sometimes the thought terrifies me but other time ms seems a good idea. You can hide my thread because I don't like coming across other people's bad times either. There's nothing I can find in Islam about what I'm meant to do when I'm being mentally tortured all day and night. Well it says be patient but it's not helping even tho I'm trying 

• Moderator Emeritus

• 2 weeks later...
On November 23, 2018 at 11:38 AM, trenace said:

And my moods are completleu all over the place raging and irritated and then in a state od pure terror and then in a really deep depression. like I don't have a single moment where I'm without symptoms. Can't even nap because it triggers panic and makes me scared everytime I wake up. Sleep at nights pretty bad too and I've started thrashing around during sleep and having bad nightmares which wake me up all night. Got pssd too. Been thinking alot about suicide lately sometimes the thought terrifies me but other time ms seems a good idea. You can hide my thread because I don't like coming across other people's bad times either. There's nothing I can find in Islam about what I'm meant to do when I'm being mentally tortured all day and night. Well it says be patient but it's not helping even tho I'm trying 

Trenace,

You are really suffering.  I've been there, and now I'm out of that intensely painful place.  You will be, too.

I can promise you it gets better.  It's a long, slow process, and there are times you will believe you are going backward, but you will look back 6 months from now and see that you made progress after every wave.  Then, after a year, you will see even more.  You will get to the point that you have no doubt you are healing even when you are in a wave and feeling very low.  Everyone heals from this.  It's a miracle that we can, but we do.  

There is no real world reason to consider suicide.  You will anyway, I know, and guess what?  That's ok.  Just don't act on it.  It's a part of this re-balancing of your brain.  When you feel that it's because your brain is struggling to balance.  Try to remember this -- that feeling will go away and you will be so glad you stayed.  This is all temporary.  It's awful, but it's temporary.  After a few months you will get used to dealing with this illness.  You will learn that symptoms come and go.  You will begin to be able to manage your feelings about it.  I never thought that would happen, but it does.

Now, I sometimes read about a symptom someone is having and realize I forgot about that symptom.  Isn't that amazing?!  Doesn't that show that healing happens?  It's very hard when I start to feel worse, but I've come to see that I'll be feeling better again before long.  It's all about the long game -- waiting out this misery until better days appear.

The one thing you need to be careful about is what you put in your body.  Your system is very sensitive.  Hypersensitive.  Not many doctors care about this problem.  They don't even warn people of the risks of medication that are written out for them!!!  You must look out for yourself. Even going to the dentist is an issue.  Do not have adrenaline based numbing agents during dental work.  Ask for the alternative.  Do not take antibiotics unless you absolutely must and even then double check here to see which ones are dangerous.  Some have fluoride in them, and they are the worst.  They often have "flox" in the name, but not always.  Being "floxxed" is having a bad reaction to the fluoride in the antibiotics.  Of course, no alcohol or marijuana -- nothing that affects cognition.  The only thing I can take is Unisom which has Benadryl in it, but I do that only if I'm desperate.  I take ibuprophen if I'm desperate, as well.  Other than that I am very careful. I stopped drinking coffee and tea.  No vitamins, no supplements, etc.  

The way to search this forum is to use an outside search engine.  Type in survivingantidepressants and then the name of the substance that you want to find.  "Survivingantidepressants antibiotics" will show you a result in the Symptoms part of this forum.  Click on it and you will see all the posts from members about how they struggled with the aftermath of using an antibiotic.  You can do the same with any other issue -- MRI, MRI with contrast, vitamin b, and on and on.

As far as being patient you probably need to distract yourself a lot.  That's what I have to do.  That's how I made it this far -- constant distraction.  Now is not the time to be introspective, in my opinion.  There's too much pain inside.  Look outward for things to pass the time.

Gentle exercise -- Go outside and walk.  Gentle exercise calms the nervous system.  Definitely don't over do it.  Just walk and get your vitamin D from Sunshine.  You need that natural vitamin D.  Even in the rain and fog the UV light on your face helps.  If you can, get a Uv light lamp for home.  Get some sunglasses.  Your eyes are probably sensitive to light.  Let the Uv light shine on your arms and legs just as it would on a summer day.

Take magnesium baths -- Epsom salt baths, and take magnesium by mouth, too.  A little in the morning and a little at night is how I do that.

I'm so sorry to see you suffering like this.  I've been there.  It was horrible, but I'm really glad I made it through to today.  You will be, too. I just heard from someone who said all her symptoms are gone, and she's very happy.  That will happen for all of us.  We just have to avoid further injury along the way.  

As far as religion -- well, you have to remember what you used to feel about practicing religion.  Go through the motions and remember how you used to feel.  Believe you will feel that way again because you will.  That's faith, right?  Believing what you can't see and feel?  Many people who have been through this tell us we will come out of it just as they did.  So, for now, substitute the memory of how practicing your religion felt for that blank space you have now where your feelings used to be.  There's a blank space when it comes to feelings about everything probably.  (The blanks seem to be filled in with anger, too, don't they?  That will pass eventually.  Mostly, the anger I had is gone.  I feel a much more normal degree of anger at the appropriate times now.)

You must trust that God is still there.  God is still there.  It's ok if you can't feel that right now, because reality is still there, and you still exist in reality even when you can't feel it.  So, go through the motions.  That's what ritual is about -- motions to help the mind connect to a feeling -- for everyone.  You don't need the intellectual part right now if you have the ritual.  You don't need the feeling right now if you can remember the feeling.  Going through the motions will help you remember the feeling -- eventually.  Read the words even if they don't seem to mean anything for this situation or any other.  It won't happen right away, but you will be accessing those pathways in your brain via the kinetic action coupled with remembering.  The pathways will reemerge to your consciousness in time.  Just practice the same way you always did, and give yourself space and time to heal.  Now is the time when the fact that you have a religion involving ritual will "pay off."  Even the smell of the mosque is important -- the sense of smell triggers memories.  The physical movements trigger memories.  That's why many religions incorporate both.  Even the nature of the light streaming into the chamber triggers memories.  Your religion was designed the way it was for a reason -- for times like these.  Follow the path through each ritual, and your brain will sort itself out.  

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

18 hours ago, Rosetta said:

Trenace,

You are really suffering.  I've been there, and now I'm out of that intensely painful place.  You will be, too.

I can promise you it gets better.  It's a long, slow process, and there are times you will believe you are going backward, but you will look back 6 months from now and see that you made progress after every wave.  Then, after a year, you will see even more.  You will get to the point that you have no doubt you are healing even when you are in a wave and feeling very low.  Everyone heals from this.  It's a miracle that we can, but we do.  

There is no real world reason to consider suicide.  You will anyway, I know, and guess what?  That's ok.  Just don't act on it.  It's a part of this re-balancing of your brain.  When you feel that it's because your brain is struggling to balance.  Try to remember this -- that feeling will go away and you will be so glad you stayed.  This is all temporary.  It's awful, but it's temporary.  After a few months you will get used to dealing with this illness.  You will learn that symptoms come and go.  You will begin to be able to manage your feelings about it.  I never thought that would happen, but it does.

Now, I sometimes read about a symptom someone is having and realize I forgot about that symptom.  Isn't that amazing?!  Doesn't that show that healing happens?  It's very hard when I start to feel worse, but I've come to see that I'll be feeling better again before long.  It's all about the long game -- waiting out this misery until better days appear.

The one thing you need to be careful about is what you put in your body.  Your system is very sensitive.  Hypersensitive.  Not many doctors care about this problem.  They don't even warn people of the risks of medication that are written out for them!!!  You must look out for yourself. Even going to the dentist is an issue.  Do not have adrenaline based numbing agents during dental work.  Ask for the alternative.  Do not take antibiotics unless you absolutely must and even then double check here to see which ones are dangerous.  Some have fluoride in them, and they are the worst.  They often have "flox" in the name, but not always.  Being "floxxed" is having a bad reaction to the fluoride in the antibiotics.  Of course, no alcohol or marijuana -- nothing that affects cognition.  The only thing I can take is Unisom which has Benadryl in it, but I do that only if I'm desperate.  I take ibuprophen if I'm desperate, as well.  Other than that I am very careful. I stopped drinking coffee and tea.  No vitamins, no supplements, etc.  

The way to search this forum is to use an outside search engine.  Type in survivingantidepressants and then the name of the substance that you want to find.  "Survivingantidepressants antibiotics" will show you a result in the Symptoms part of this forum.  Click on it and you will see all the posts from members about how they struggled with the aftermath of using an antibiotic.  You can do the same with any other issue -- MRI, MRI with contrast, vitamin b, and on and on.

As far as being patient you probably need to distract yourself a lot.  That's what I have to do.  That's how I made it this far -- constant distraction.  Now is not the time to be introspective, in my opinion.  There's too much pain inside.  Look outward for things to pass the time.

Gentle exercise -- Go outside and walk.  Gentle exercise calms the nervous system.  Definitely don't over do it.  Just walk and get your vitamin D from Sunshine.  You need that natural vitamin D.  Even in the rain and fog the UV light on your face helps.  If you can, get a Uv light lamp for home.  Get some sunglasses.  Your eyes are probably sensitive to light.  Let the Uv light shine on your arms and legs just as it would on a summer day.

Take magnesium baths -- Epsom salt baths, and take magnesium by mouth, too.  A little in the morning and a little at night is how I do that.

I'm so sorry to see you suffering like this.  I've been there.  It was horrible, but I'm really glad I made it through to today.  You will be, too. I just heard from someone who said all her symptoms are gone, and she's very happy.  That will happen for all of us.  We just have to avoid further injury along the way.  

As far as religion -- well, you have to remember what you used to feel about practicing religion.  Go through the motions and remember how you used to feel.  Believe you will feel that way again because you will.  That's faith, right?  Believing what you can't see and feel?  Many people who have been through this tell us we will come out of it just as they did.  So, for now, substitute the memory of how practicing your religion felt for that blank space you have now where your feelings used to be.  There's a blank space when it comes to feelings about everything probably.  (The blanks seem to be filled in with anger, too, don't they?  That will pass eventually.  Mostly, the anger I had is gone.  I feel a much more normal degree of anger at the appropriate times now.)

You must trust that God is still there.  God is still there.  It's ok if you can't feel that right now, because reality is still there, and you still exist in reality even when you can't feel it.  So, go through the motions.  That's what ritual is about -- motions to help the mind connect to a feeling -- for everyone.  You don't need the intellectual part right now if you have the ritual.  You don't need the feeling right now if you can remember the feeling.  Going through the motions will help you remember the feeling -- eventually.  Read the words even if they don't seem to mean anything for this situation or any other.  It won't happen right away, but you will be accessing those pathways in your brain via the kinetic action coupled with remembering.  The pathways will reemerge to your consciousness in time.  Just practice the same way you always did, and give yourself space and time to heal.  Now is the time when the fact that you have a religion involving ritual will "pay off."  Even the smell of the mosque is important -- the sense of smell triggers memories.  The physical movements trigger memories.  That's why many religions incorporate both.  Even the nature of the light streaming into the chamber triggers memories.  Your religion was designed the way it was for a reason -- for times like these.  Follow the path through each ritual, and your brain will sort itself out.  

Rosetta

Thank you! That was a really nice message. ☺ Today's been a not so good day so far and your message is motivation...... To move from the floor to the sofa 😂 

Ah, was that a little humor?  Hope so.  You are welcome.  

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

• 1 month later...

@Rosetta It was an attempt lol. Anyways Hiii hope everyone had a good Christmas and New year. ☺ Thought I'd drop by and give an update. I'm still having mental symptoms which seem to directly cause my sleep problems, also got digestive problems (bloating gas diarrhea etc and sexual problems. My energy levels seem to have skyrocketed and my friend dragged me to the gym where in the last month or so I've gotten into pretty incredible shape somehow so that's definitely a bonus. The lass at reception even wanted my number but my Confidence is so battered by my mental symptoms and pssd that I literally yelled that I'm shy and ran away 😂. The staff always giggle when I walk in now 😕. The exercise seems to have a good impact on my moods throughout the day even though I'm still getting waves of dysphoria and what I can only describe as jumbled negative thoughts. I get pretty badly depressed too but it's better than last year definitly. Some mornings I'm anxious and others I'm not. I recommend exercise to everyone going through this because it's helped me soo much. Trying to think what else... Oh I sometimes get strange floods of good emotion too which is good. A strange symptom which I've forgotten is a weird electrical feeling in my finger and stomach which Im going to guess (with no idea whatsoever) is a surge in my nervous system and it triggers racing thoughts and a huge increase in my sex drive. It literally feels out of control lol and makes me very impulsive. Its like I pray for my sex drive to come back and it comes back with an absolute vengeance and leaves again the next day 😔. Anyways hope everyone's good..... 

Oh just realised the reason I logged in. I need advice please lol, I've noticed that I don't react to things the way I did earlier. Like I can have caffiene and stuff without a bad reaction... should I be doing this or should I stay away? because I've been having a preworkout drink which contains a hefty dose of caffeine before gym which gives my energy and focus a boost but it doesn't seem to trigger any negative symptoms? I sleep at about 2am every night because I've no responsibilities and it hasn't really affected this either. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi trenace,

We've never asked you to create a drug signature.  It would be appreciated if you would do this.  It appears below every post you make and gives the members context.

Please create your drug signature using the following format.   Keep it simple.  NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you.

It's up to you whether you want to drink caffeine etc.  However my only caution would be to only add in one thing at a time so that you will be able to notice if it is having a negative impact.  You might also find that when you are reasonably stress free that your body is okay with it, but if there is stress or you get sick, then your nervous system might not like it.

Thank you, yeh I think that's the pattern on bad days I wouldn't have it but when I'm feeling half decent ill drink some. I'll make the signature thing now. 🙃 

11 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Hi trenace,

We've never asked you to create a drug signature.  It would be appreciated if you would do this.  It appears below every post you make and gives the members context.

Please create your drug signature using the following format.   Keep it simple.  NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you.

It's up to you whether you want to drink caffeine etc.  However my only caution would be to only add in one thing at a time so that you will be able to notice if it is having a negative impact.  You might also find that when you are reasonably stress free that your body is okay with it, but if there is stress or you get sick, then your nervous system might not like it.

Have I done it properly? I thought I did it before but I don't know now. 

• Moderator Emeritus

trenace,

Can you please add the dosage of the two drugs, the dates you are on them, and whether you tapered or went off cold turkey?  

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi trenace, 

How are you doing?💚

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi carmie I'm better than I was although I'm not myself just yet. Setback by an illness and a reaction to antibiotics and currently going through what I think is another reaction to a supplement. I have a habit of making mistakes lol. 

Hi everyone I don't come here except in desperation because I usually just freak myself out and read all the wrong things. I have recently been advised by my doc to take b12 shots which she now knows is not needed due to me having high b12 and low folate which may be causing b12 processing issues. 

Anyways in the past four days I've come into a severe wave which I think may be a reaction to wither b12 or taurine or maybe both. Is it possible for a nervous system reaction to develop after a while of consuming supplements? Because I've not had this kind of wave for a while and it feels exactly like when I reacted to antibiotics. 

Need help. Is it possible to destabilise your nervous system and become sensitive to various things again like actue withdrawal? I don't seem to be able to handle caffiene anymore and even food is sending me into a panic. 

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, kinda feels like I'm starting again here. Looking for help and support please. Since my reaction to antibiotics I've been steadily declining, and had almost all symptoms return now aside from akathisia, it's devastating for me because I was improving with exercise mentally and physically and was tolerating certain supplements too and socialising again in fits and starts. I now have pretty bad fatigue again which makes even walking exhausting on most days. I have derealisation and brain fog pretty much constantly coupled with anxiety and extreme agitation. Massive crying spells have come back too and a feeling of complete despair. Muscle twitches are also constant aswell as awaking with panic and anhedonia. Can't really take anything as I had magnesium citrate and absolutley freaked as if I was in acute withdrawal again. The fear as well as a return of my symptoms makes me irrationally fear the akathisia returning too. Also I am incredibly irritable and angry with everyone and really struggle to see the good in anything although I'm trying almost all day. Could I possibly recover again because this slide continues to get worse I actually feel as though my lifes on repeat everyday, sort of like a groundhog day that's a complete nightmare. I have one very close friend who's caring for me round the clock and for that I'm so grateful as there's people suffering without support. Ive just realised I could use this as a journal even if nobody replies I'm on here pretty much all the time but in dont feel as if I have any advice to offer anyone as I'm pretty much non functional most of the time.