BillsFan: Prozac, Paxil, Cymbalta for 27 years

BillsFan

Hello. My name is Ryan and I'm an alcoholic. Blah. I was prescribed Prozac when I was 10 years old for a fake suicide attempt. I actually did have issues, but that's another story. I essentially spent my entire formative years on an SSRI. I was switched to Paxil somewhere in that time period. When I was about 30, I was prescribed Klonopin 3 MG a day for anxiety. About 7 years ago, I attempted to get off the meds to no avail.  Ending up going back and even adding the Klonopin. Somewhere along the line the AD became Cymbalta. They're all the same.

I will say that my anxiety independent medication is a huge issue, but I have a hard time believing my life has been improved. I started drinking at 21 and became a horrible binge drinker. So in short, circumstances dictated that I stopped talking the Klonopin because I was going to enter a rehab center for the alcoholism. I never abused the Klonopin, but those are the rules. 

Once I started reducing the Klonopin, I pretty much decided that I may as well use this as an opportunity to get off EVERYTHING! I'm in absolute hell right now. I feel like most of you will probably understand what I mean by that. I was able to keep everything relatively together and put on a good face, but my drinking binges actually helped me more than anything. That makes no sense, but it gave me something to look forward to during the hell.

At this point, EVERYTHING IS worse, but I expected that. I haven't left the house in a month and my family is out of patience. I reduced the Cymbalta to 20 MG from 60 in 2 months and less than a MG of Klonopin from 3. I realize this is too fast, but it is what it is. I'm just a wreck and I know the withdrawal is the culprit. I know what Anxiety is. I know what depression is. This is CRAZY. 

I was wondering if anyone had any herbal suggestions or just general suggestions to help me cope. Thank you.

• ChessieCat changed the title to BillsFan: Prozac, Paxil, Cymbalta for 27 years
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome BillsFan,

This page now acts as your Introduction topic,  it's your introduction to the group. It also acts as a journal, so we can all follow and respond to your progress. Members may respond to your topic and give you support and encouragement.  Questions specific to your situation generally should go here as well.

Yes, I agree.......it does sound like W/D(withdrawal) is at play here.

Dr Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Why taper by 10% of my dosage*

We advocate for a harm reduction approach to getting off these medications.  The 10% reduction is based on each previous dose, rather than the starting dose.   Often, the CT(cold turkey) approach is way too fast.  As are large decreases in dosages.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug. When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

Also with the changes in medications, up and down.......often havoc results on an already sensitized nervous system.

Please put your withdrawal history into a signature

Please include the Klonopin history and ALL your medications.  Get the dates on the left and then drugs and dosages on the right.

If your drug history is very long, the last few years will do. FOR READABILITY, SHORT LINES ARE BEST.

• A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs
  • Include ALL drugs, doses, and dates (starting and stopping)
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (e.g. mid-June) rather than relative time frames (e.g. 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months (e.g. "January" or "Jan" as 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as 9 Jan 2016 or 1 Sept 2016)
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses

This will really help us to see your medication/drug history at a glance so that we may better advise and support you.

Go to the link above and it will explain further what is needed in a signature, and how to access that part of the site so that you can do that.

You'll notice others signatures below their posts now(unless viewing from a phone device).

The only 2 supplements that we recommend are:

Omega 3, fatty acids( fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

It's best to just start one new thing at a time however,  start low, then keep records as to what you are changing, or doing as best that you can.

All for now BillsFan.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing