SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Order In the Next 24 Hours and Get Free Knife Set!

Whatever

http://www.integrativepsychiatry.net/neurotransmitter_tests.html

Yup. I kid you not...and no pun intended - there is a kit for toddlers!

Withdrew cold turkey from six medications: Celexa, Zyprexa, Depakote, Ativan, Ambien and Phentermine in 2002. It has been 10 years since I told polypharmacy to take a hike and have joined this forum to let others know that success is possible and to hopefully save people from experiencing the suffering that I did under psychiatric "care".

MY STORY

"TENSION is when we try to be who we think we should be, RELAXATION is when we are who we really are."

• Administrator

This stuff from the site is an example of the total b.s. used to describe this kind of testing. It is useless. Don't waste your money on it.

There is no such thing as neurotransmitter imbalance.

Note they're selling testing and supplements from the NeuroScience company.

Neurotransmitter Testing

Neurotransmitter Testing is now available to detect Brain Neurotransmitter Imbalances!

Basing a treatment on symptoms alone (traditional medicine) will not provide the information needed to address the underlying brain imbalance. A visit to a doctor or practitioners office for depression involves telling them how you have been feeling emotionally. The typical depressed person leaves the office with a prescription for an antidepressant without ever having any conclusive laboratory evidence of what is causing their symptoms.

New sophisticated equipment and tests are now available to evaluate neurotransmitter imbalances using a urine or blood sample. This provides a neurotransmitter baseline assessment of your neurotransmitter levels, and is useful in determining the root causes for many diseases and illnesses. Laboratory analysis can now provide precise information on brain neurotransmitter deficiencies or overloads, as well as detect hormonal and nutrient co-factor imbalances which influence neurotransmitter production. Individuals require individual solutions. Testing helps to determine exactly which neurotransmitter levels are out of balance and helps to determine which therapies are needed for an individualized treatment plan. It also helps in monitoring the effectiveness of an individual's treatment.

How do you measure brain chemicals in urine?

Studies have demonstrated that intact neurotransmitters are transported from the CNS to the periphery, via specific BBB transporters, followed by renal filtration of neurotransmitters with subsequent excretion in the urine. Additionally, animal studies have suggested a relationship between neurotransmitters excreted in the urine and neurotransmitters in the CNS (Lynn-Bullock et al., 2004).

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Amazing. The chemical imbalance myth is so pervasive and is being used by any market that can profit from it - supplements, of course, but also medical foods, beverages to enhance cognition/sleep/alertness. Even if pharma/psychiatry is reigned in, the myth has reached people who have never considered psychiatry.

I came across a medical food site selling foodbars to increase serotonin the 'feelgood neurotransmitter'. I wrote message to MD head of company 'suggesting' that he discontinue propagating false medical claims that go against his oath to Do No Harm.

There's no regulation over these industries, I realize, so they will profit for years by pharma myths. Disgusting.

I do wonder how they established Reference Ranges for the NT testing.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

This stuff from the site is an example of the total b.s. used to describe this kind of testing. It is useless. Don't waste your money on it.

There is no such thing as neurotransmitter imbalance.

Note they're selling testing and supplements from the NeuroScience company.

Neurotransmitter Testing

Neurotransmitter Testing is now available to detect Brain Neurotransmitter Imbalances!

Basing a treatment on symptoms alone (traditional medicine) will not provide the information needed to address the underlying brain imbalance. A visit to a doctor or practitioners office for depression involves telling them how you have been feeling emotionally. The typical depressed person leaves the office with a prescription for an antidepressant without ever having any conclusive laboratory evidence of what is causing their symptoms.

New sophisticated equipment and tests are now available to evaluate neurotransmitter imbalances using a urine or blood sample. This provides a neurotransmitter baseline assessment of your neurotransmitter levels, and is useful in determining the root causes for many diseases and illnesses. Laboratory analysis can now provide precise information on brain neurotransmitter deficiencies or overloads, as well as detect hormonal and nutrient co-factor imbalances which influence neurotransmitter production. Individuals require individual solutions. Testing helps to determine exactly which neurotransmitter levels are out of balance and helps to determine which therapies are needed for an individualized treatment plan. It also helps in monitoring the effectiveness of an individual's treatment.

How do you measure brain chemicals in urine?

Studies have demonstrated that intact neurotransmitters are transported from the CNS to the periphery, via specific BBB transporters, followed by renal filtration of neurotransmitters with subsequent excretion in the urine. Additionally, animal studies have suggested a relationship between neurotransmitters excreted in the urine and neurotransmitters in the CNS (Lynn-Bullock et al., 2004).

Ditto Alto, this is complete BS.

Even if there was such a thing as "neurotransmitter imbalance" this business of detecting them in the urine is completely bogus. Neurotransmitters do all kinds of things in the body (serotonin, for example, is part of the blood-clotting process). The concentrations in the bloodstream don't reflect what's happening in the nervous system. And they aren't by and large excreted in the urine--they're broken down into other stuff. It's complete BS.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

Thanks, Rhi.

Just to remind anyone jetting in from the Web, we do not recommend NeuroScience testing or supplements http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1371-no-recommendations-for-commercial-programs-to-assist-withdrawal/page__view__findpost__p__12620

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.