jdw8848: Celexa side effects and fear of withdrawals

jdw8848

Hello Everyone!

I've taken Celexa for several years for my anxiety/panic disorder. It has worked fairly well for me over time but I seem to have recently developed adverse side effects. There have been times over the last several years where I didn't suffer from any anxiety or panic and have felt amazing. The last couple months have been very stressful for me and something seems to have changed. It seems the Celexa is manifesting some very uncomfortable and debilitating side effects. I've had terrible anxiety and nausea/dizziness. I've also been experiencing tachycardia during the day and at night after I fall asleep. I've been to the hospital twice in the last couple weeks with grave concern only to be told my heart is healthy. I'm convinced the tachycardia is related to my Celexa and feel I need to discontinue it's use. Have any of you had this same experience/ side effect from an SSRI? It is beyond scary to wake up in the middle of the night with a pounding heart, which only triggers anxiety and panic.

Like I mentioned, I've attempted to withdraw in the past. I experience severe 'brain zaps' and suffer from increased anxiety and panic. I really want to be free of this drug and cannot continue to suffer the consequences I'm currently experiencing. I'm afraid to even go to sleep for fear of waking in the middle of the night with a racing heart and extreme panic. Can anyone relate or offer help? I'm desperate. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to jdw8848: Celexa side effects and fear of withdrawals
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi jdw and welcome aboard,

Oh.......stress........it can be miserable sometimes to deal with.  I'm sorry you have such upheavals, and struggles of late.

Have you made any recent changes to your Celexa?

Oftentimes, these medications become fairly ineffective for the initial problem........that is, if they even help at all.  Sometimes.......they actually make symptoms worse in some of us.  Ugh.

First things, first.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

This is the portion that you will see below others posts(unless viewing from a phone device) and is helpful for us, to see your medication/drug situation at a glance.  Please list all current medications here.

This page will now act as your introduction.  Consider it your introduction to the community and as a journal/record for your own W/D(withdrawal) journey.  Symptoms that you might be having can go here, as well as questions specific to your situation.

Why taper by 10%*

The 10% method is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs

Tips on tapering Celexa/citalopram

Dr. Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Many symptoms can be attributed to withdrawal

I can relate to having had some of the symptoms that you mention.  I was only on Celexa briefly but have been on a lot of other psychoactive medications.

What is withdrawal syndrome?

several other links are in the first post ^ that you may find of interest

All for now and welcome aboard.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

sounds like your anxiety is resurfacing and your nervous system is activated, probably the celexa worked for a couple years..

what has helped me MORE than anything?  Fish oil and magnesium... and reading the Claire Weekes book Hope and Help for your Nerves and ESPECIALLY this book by Barry McDonagh called  DARE: The New Way to End Anxiety and Stop Panic Attacks...

💮Zoloft 50mg September 2015  💮Alcohol-free October 2017 💮 September 2018 begin micro-taper-->weekly micro drops liquid      💮April 2019 25mg HELD FOR ONE YEAR before weekly micro drops 💮April 2020 12.5mg 💮August 8mg 💮October 6mg  💮December 5mg 💮April 2mg 💮May 1mg 💮June 0.5mg  💮July 4, 2021 Jump OFF 💯

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi jdw,

The only 2 supplements that we recommend are:

Omega 3, fatty acids( fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

It's best to just start one new thing at a time however,  start low, then keep records as to what you are changing, or doing, as best that you can.

And yes, many do suffer sleep problems as well during W/D

You may find something useful in coping here:  Waking with panic or anxiety- managing cortisol spikes

and more:  Tips to help sleep

The Dr. Claire Weekes Method of Recovering

......and a bit more on what Surfchick mentioned

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing