earlybird: cold turkey off 20mg Prozac

earlybird

Hi folks,

I've been on Zoloft (2000-2001) and tapered off over a period of 2 months (too fast and I suffered) then tapered off citalopram (2014) and this year, my doctor put me on prozac 20 mg for GAD and Major Depressive Disorder but I stopped cold turkey 8 days ago because it was making my depression and anxiety much worse and no one would listen to me when I asked about getting off the meds. Anyhoo, I found this message board while searching online for anyone else who might be trying to get off AD's and am glad to have found you.

• ChessieCat changed the title to earlybird: cold turkey off 20mg Prozac
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi earlybird,

And welcome aboard to surviving antidepressants.

We've got plenty of members who are much like you.  How are you feeling now?

Dr Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

this might help you identify if you are having W/D symptoms now.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage*

We advocate for a harm reduction approach to getting off these medications.  The 10% reduction is based on each previous dose, rather than the starting dose.   Often, the CT(cold turkey) approach is way too fast.  As are large decreases in dosages.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug. When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

Also often with changes in medications, and then with frequent dosage changes, up and down.......often havoc results on an already sensitized nervous system.

Please put your withdrawal history into a signature

This will really help us to see your situation, at a glance.  This is the portion that you will see, when signed in, below others posts(unless posting from a phone device).

It's going to be important that you learn non-drug ways of coping, with symptoms that may have been present before you started with medications.  As well as coping skills to deal with any W/D symptoms.

The only 2 supplements that we recommend are:

Omega 3, fatty acids( fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

It's best to just start one new thing at a time however,  start low, then keep records as to what you are changing.

You will find many other topics on coping in our symptoms and self care section too.  It's generally best to start there with the pinned topics at the top.

This page now acts as your Introduction topic,  it's your introduction to the group. It also acts as a journal, so we can all follow and respond to your progress. Members may respond to your topic and give you support and encouragement.  Questions specific to your situation generally should go here as well.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing