SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Eastcoastgirl: a life free of antidepressants

Eastcoastgirl

On 7/16/2019 at 3:08 PM, eymen23 said:

Eastcoastgirl;

In my opinion, the most important aspect of tapering is the ability to listen to your own body and nervous system.

It is completely reasonable to have a plan in place, but ultimately the only way to taper whilst truly minimising the risk of nervous system destabilisation and intolerable symptoms, is to taper by as much and as often as your body and nervous system dictates. 

SA recommends members (and moderators) taper by a maximum of 10% per month. As ever, your mileage may vary. Some will need to take things much slower and indeed there will always be the individuals who don’t take this advice and ‘get away with it’, but I don’t think that will ever be worth the risk of severe withdrawal symptoms. 

In my experience, tapering is easiest when it becomes a process happening in the background of your daily life. I make small reductions and wait until I have fully stabilised before making the next reduction. This way my thoughts are focused on ‘real life’ and not tapering, and the suffering is minimised. 

I appreciate your input Eymen23 ! I think I am just really confused as to how I could get a precise dose with a syringe,  because I can't go down less than one line at a time. Maybe I need to ask my pharmacist how I could get a more accurate dose. I thought that by going down one line per month and giving myself 30 days (at minimum) to hold this sounds pretty reasonable, especially since Brass only recommends a two week hold after a 10% decrease, but maybe I am wrong. It seems like everyone here who is microtapering is using a scale so i'm not sure how i'm supposed to do it. 

Edited by Karma
name update
21 minutes ago, puthappinessfirst said:

I take fish oil, magnesium, vitamin d, probiotics daily, so I know what you mean about taking stuff every day just to feel better. 

I find I get super wonky if I miss multiple days of magnesium and fish oil.

But I much prefer that to ADs, since the WDs are horrendous and they have taken such a control over life. 

And the fact that you were hanging out with 12 kids during all this is impressive... I'm not much older than you and that sounds like too much for me right now hahaha.

I guess we just have to do what makes us feel the best ! If a supplement can help us function better in our day to day lives, I will take it ! 

Haha, sometimes it is way too stimulating for me to have 12 kids running around and screaming, but it's a good distraction that's for sure 😂

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/16/2019 at 3:29 PM, Eastcoastgirl said:

I appreciate your input Eymen23 ! I think I am just really confused as to how I could get a precise dose with a syringe,  because I can't go down less than one line at a time. Maybe I need to ask my pharmacist how I could get a more accurate dose. I thought that by going down one line per month and giving myself 30 days (at minimum) to hold this sounds pretty reasonable, especially since Brass only recommends a two week hold after a 10% decrease, but maybe I am wrong. It seems like everyone here who is microtapering is using a scale so i'm not sure how i'm supposed to do it. 

Eastcoastgirl,

I am in the same position. I am tapering from a pharmaceutical liquid that is too concentrated to taper slowly at low doses. My feeling is that it’s best to cross each bridge when it comes, in other words to taper until that point and get through that process, before then finding the next step forward. 

The potential solutions include diluting the liquid provided, or attempting to get a compounded liquid from a compound pharmacy.

Edited by Karma
name update

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I can only provide information and make suggestions.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/16/2019 at 3:29 PM, Eastcoastgirl said:

I thought that by going down one line per month and giving myself 30 days (at minimum) to hold this sounds pretty reasonable, especially since Brass only recommends a two week hold after a 10% decrease, but maybe I am wrong. 

I think you may have misunderstood the Brassmonkey method. The two week hold is made after tapering 2.5% per week for four weeks (a total of 10%), to give the body and nervous system a chance to catch up whilst on a consistent dose. 

Tapering by 1 line of the syringe at a time is fine, so long as the reduction is a percentage that you can tolerate. For example, if I can only tolerate 5% reductions, I can’t drop from 0.1ml to 0.09ml (one line on some syringes) as it is a 10% drop and I won’t tolerate it. 

Once you reach a point using the liquid and the syringe you have, that you can’t safely taper any further, you will need to dilute the solution or have a liquid compounded specifically at a lower dosage per ml.

I hope this all makes sense. 

Edited by Karma
name update

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I can only provide information and make suggestions.

31 minutes ago, eymen23 said:

I think you may have misunderstood the Brassmonkey method. The two week hold is made after tapering 2.5% per week for four weeks (a total of 10%), to give the body and nervous system a chance to catch up whilst on a consistent dose. 

Tapering by 1 line of the syringe at a time is fine, so long as the reduction is a percentage that you can tolerate. For example, if I can only tolerate 5% reductions, I can’t drop from 0.1ml to 0.09ml (one line on some syringes) as it is a 10% drop and I won’t tolerate it. 

Once you reach a point using the liquid and the syringe you have, that you can’t safely taper any further, you will need to dilute the solution or have a liquid compounded specifically at a lower dosage per ml.

I hope this all makes sense. 

Now I get it ! I feel so stupid for not realizing that by going down one line on my syringe, i'd be reducing by 10% all at once. Clearly math is not my strong suit. 

If I were to have a liquid compounded, do you know what dosage per ml I would need?  The liquid I have right now is 20mg/5ml of Fluoxetine. I'm taking 1.3mg (.32ml) and I only want to reduce 5% at a time.

• Moderator Emeritus

You could dilute it yourself.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

2 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

You could dilute it yourself.

I don't understand how that works :( how much water would I dilute it with? 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/16/2019 at 4:09 PM, Eastcoastgirl said:

If I were to have a liquid compounded, do you know what dosage per ml I would need?  The liquid I have right now is 20mg/5ml of Fluoxetine. I'm taking 1.3mg (.32ml) and I only want to reduce 5% at a time.

For now I think it’s best to keep it as simple as possible.

if you are taking .32ml and you have access to a syringe with 0.01ml increments, you can reduce by one line at a time (0.01ml) until you reach 0.19ml.

Up to this point each reduction will be below 5%, until you reach 0.2ml, at which stage you will make a reduction of exactly 5% and come down to 0.19ml. From there onwards, you will need a new method of tapering as to go down by one line, from 0.19ml to 0.18ml will be a 5.26% drop and going forward the percentage drop will only go up and up. Does this make sense?

In regards to a compounded liquid (if that’s the method you want to use), you will need to a transition to the new compounded liquid once you reach 0.19ml of the current liquid and have held for long enough. 

The new dosage per ml will need to be low enough that you can easily carry out the rest of your taper. 1mg/ml tends to be a good dosage, as this would allow you to go all the way down to 0.19mg (0.19ml) whilst making <5% drops. I have read of members using compounded solutions of 0.25mg/ml, allowing them to taper by tiny amounts at a time. 

I think for now it’s best you focus on being stable and then tapering using the current liquid. Using the method above, It is a long way before you will need to worry about compounded liquids or diluting your current one. 

Edited by Karma
name update

• Moderator Emeritus
On 5/2/2011 at 6:56 AM, Altostrata said:

Where to get oral syringes

Many pharmacies carry the larger oral syringe and, as Brandy implies, veterinarians carry them, too, to give animals medication.

Compounding pharmacies will have a wider range of oral syringes.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

1 hour ago, eymen23 said:

For now I think it’s best to keep it as simple as possible.

if you are taking .32ml and you have access to a syringe with 0.01ml increments, you can reduce by one line at a time (0.01ml) until you reach 0.19ml.

Up to this point each reduction will be below 5%, until you reach 0.2ml, at which stage you will make a reduction of exactly 5% and come down to 0.19ml. From there onwards, you will need a new method of tapering as to go down by one line, from 0.19ml to 0.18ml will be a 5.26% drop and going forward the percentage drop will only go up and up. Does this make sense?

In regards to a compounded liquid (if that’s the method you want to use), you will need to a transition to the new compounded liquid once you reach 0.19ml of the current liquid and have held for long enough. 

The new dosage per ml will need to be low enough that you can easily carry out the rest of your taper. 1mg/ml tends to be a good dosage, as this would allow you to go all the way down to 0.19mg (0.19ml) whilst making <5% drops. I have read of members using compounded solutions of 0.25mg/ml, allowing them to taper by tiny amounts at a time. 

I think for now it’s best you focus on being stable and then tapering using the current liquid. Using the method above, It is a long way before you will need to worry about compounded liquids or diluting your current 

I actually do have a syringe with 0.01 increments so I guess i'll be set for a while when the time comes. I will worry about diluting or compounding in the future. Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me, it's very helpful ! 

Oh my goodness.

Ever since I started taking Prozac in liquid I have been sucking the liquid out of the nozzle of the syringe to make sure I get it all. Then I read here that I shouldn't be doing that & it's like taking an extra .5 .. so I stopped recently and I SWEAR i'm having withdrawal from it. I've had the worst brain fog, my skin feels like it's burning, and i'm exhausted. Not fun.

On 7/12/2019 at 1:43 AM, Eastcoastgirl said:

I don't know what's going on with me lately. I'm not sure if this is my brain without drugs (or very little drugs) or what , but my brain seems to be obsessing over my current life situation. Even when i'm keeping myself occupied i'm always thinking about the fact that I don't have a job, I still live at home, I don't have any friends, I don't have a car, and my health is a mess. It's always bothered me but i've been obsessing over it lately to an unhealthy extent. Especially because everytime I go on social media I see old friends or classmates getting married/buying houses/starting their career, etc. The only reason I really can't work right now and change my situation is the chronic fatigue. 

Now that i've been alone for a while i've had way too much time to myself and to think. I feel like the situation i'm in right now is making healing a lot more difficult than it needs to be because i've been a bit depressed lately and i'm not sleeping well at all. I think what really set it off is that i've been completely avoiding anyone who wants to either take me on a date or just hang out because I can't imagine who would want to date/be friends someone who has nothing going for them. 

How do others here cope with loneliness/isolation in withdrawal? How do you deal with the fear of not being understood/accepted? 

Hey Eastcoastgirl, 

You described me in the first few years of my depression, only that I am married. But depression does that...takes the zing out of relationships. Only recently have I started to feel well. Just hang in there. Things will get back to normal. The important thing is not to lose sight of the bigger goal i.e. reclaiming your life.

Btw I too have serious financial problems and that piles on to other things like loss of motivation. 

What I do have are good friends who tolerate me, even though they are busy, and good family support. albeit I feel like a burden on them. 

Citalopram and Effexor have been a poison to me. Go slow on the WD. I've tried CT and it doesn't work. Best.

Edited by Karma
name update

2012- Citalopram 40- Axal 0.5mg  2017- Stopped Axal CT. No WD.

2017 - Effexor XR 75 mg.

For Epilepsy:1983 - Tegral 400 mg/day  2009 - Lumark 1000 mg/day- Biotim eyedrops for glaucoma.

27 April 2019 - Effexor XR taper started. 40 beads removed - 16% - 63mg20 May - 10% - 20 beads. 57mg / 3 June - 10% - 20 beads - 51mg / 18 July - 6% -10 beads - 48mg / 20 July - 7% -10 beads- 44.5mg/ 1 Sept - 75 mg alternate days = 37.5 mg/ 14 Sept - 75 mg every 3rd day = 25mg/  22 Sept - Effexor XR stopped.

27 Oct - Tegral = 300mg. Citalopram = 30 mg. Lumark = 500mg Busron = 10 mg. Somna = 2.5 mg

1-Jan 2020 Tegral 200mg BD- Citalopram 20mg OD- Lumark 500BD

25 Apr 2020 Tegral 200 mg BD- Citalopram alternate days 20 mg and 10 mg OD - Lumark 500BD

May June 2020 Dropped to 10 mg citalopram due to drug shortages.

Early July 2020: CT'ed citalopram - nonavailability of medicine. Tegral + Lumark remains same as before.

So here is my taper plan i've decided on. 2.5% cut 2 weeks in a row for a total of 5% & then hold for 2 weeks (minimum). The plan is only a guideline & of course I will hold longer or adjust if any problems occur. Also this is only the beginning, I didn't write it all out yet. How does this sound? I am going to have Prozac compounded 1mg/1ml and then when I get down to .19 i'll start diluting with water. I have a 1ml syringe handy. 20190721_194412_compress42.thumb.jpg.2a8fe43dc7128ecd75b359c1553d6efd.jpg

Anyone feel free to let me know if these calculations look correct. I'm awful at math and I rounded up. 

Having one of the worst days i've had in a while. My alarm didn't go off this morning so instead of taking the Prozac at 6:30 I took it at 11am. I'm also on my period and I have HORRIBLE restlessness in my arms and legs today. It's scaring me because I haven't had this since I cold turkeyed Prozac last time and I kind of feel like I can't sit still. As I said above, I stopped sucking that last little bit out of the nozzle of my syringe and i'm worried I have withdrawal from that. I'm emotional, my muscles are weak, and i'm having random twitching in my legs and face.

• Moderator Emeritus

KMart,

Sorry you’re experiencing a flare-up in symptoms. 

When did you stop trying to consume the last drop of Prozac out the syringe? Each syringe is different, but the 1ml syringes I use have a volume of about 0.06ml in the tip of the syringe. Did you used to try and consume all of the liquid in the tip?

Taking your dose several hours late can definitely have an impact, but given Prozac’s long half-life, I’d be a little surprised at an extreme reaction after a 4.5 hour delay. If it is the delay that’s triggered this, it should subside in the next 2-3 days. 

Twitches, pains and restlessness are all common withdrawal symptoms and I get them too. I’ve never had severe restlessness or akathisia, but I do get moderate restlessness in my limbs for 1-2 hours at a time in the first two weeks after a reduction. 

Please try not to fret about the physical symptoms. Once you’ve experienced something as traumatic as severe withdrawal symptoms, it’s natural to have feelings of hopelessness or panic when these symptoms pop-up, but I’m confident that they will resolve and that we can narrow down the cause.

Please provide more detail on how your syringe technique has changed. If you really are taking 0.06ml less as I’m suspecting, it could definitely be rocking the boat. 

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote

Thanks for responding ! I think it's been about 4 or 5 days since I stopped taking the liquid out of the nozzle. I have a 1ml syringe and the nozzle looks like it holds at least 0.05ml of liquid. Yes, I have always made sure I consume all of the liquid out of the tip, not really thinking of the fact that by doing this i'm consuming more medication than I intended. I'm trying not to freak out, it's just scary to have these old symptoms pop up again. Should I go back to taking the liquid that's in the nozzle as well?

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 7/21/2019 at 4:46 PM, Eastcoastgirl said:

Anyone feel free to let me know if these calculations look correct. I'm awful at math and I rounded up. 

KMart,

I’ve had a better look at your calculations and there’s something I want to make you aware of. On some of your calculations you have rounded down, instead of up. This isn’t necessarily an issue, but you will be making a slightly larger than a 2.5% cut in dosage.

As an example:

1.11ml x 0.975 = 1.08225

Rounding up, you’d take a dosage of 1.09ml and only make a 1.8% reduction. 

OR 

You could take a dosage of 1.08ml by rounding down and then you’d be making a 2.7% reduction. 

Once you get to 1.05ml, dropping to 1.02ml is actually a 2.9% reduction. 

Does this make sense? A 2.9% reduction might be just fine, it will all depend on your nervous system and how it handles the taper.

Please also ensure you transition onto the new liquid appropriately. I can provide you with the protocol if/when you need to do that. 

Edited by Karma
name update

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/22/2019 at 4:21 PM, Eastcoastgirl said:

Thanks for responding ! I think it's been about 4 or 5 days since I stopped taking the liquid out of the nozzle. I have a 1ml syringe and the nozzle looks like it holds at least 0.05ml of liquid. 

By not taking the circa 0.05ml, you have made a dosage reduction of approximately:

0.05 / 0.37 x 100 = 13.5%

I would go back to your previous syringe technique from your next dosage, given it has only been 4-5 days. Please bear in mind that you are actually consuming 1.48mg of Prozac daily, for when you transition to a new liquid and for producing your calculations. 

Edited by Karma
name update

Thanks so much for the help. I think i've got it all set now and I went through all my calculations again. I didn't know there is a specific protocol for transitioning to the new liquid, i'll definitely need to know that around mid September.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote

Depression has been consuming me the past week. I have no idea if i'm really a depressed person now or if this is a neuro-emotions thing. I always had horrible anxiety growing up but never depression. I constantly feel like I have this dark cloud over me that I feel is never going to go away. Trying to tell myself this isn't permanent but it's been months of running away from this awful sadness.

If you haven’t dealt with it before then I would say it’s withdrawal. Problem is emotional symptoms can be so hard to differentiate between ‘you’ and wd which is what makes them even more harder than physical symptoms to deal with. 

If its any consolation I’ve had periods of weeks where have felt so emotionally sensitive it’s ridiculous then in a matter of moments it was gone. Same with weird anxious thoughts that pop up in waves then once the wave has gone you feel like a totally different person.

Hooe you feel better soon.

20mg Lexapro 2007

10mg Lexapro 2012

Started tapering approx (October 2017) 12 months ago  from 10mg to 9mg then 8 then 7 then 6 then 5 then 4 then 3.

Held for approx 4 to 6 weeks min on each reduction.

Hit severe symptoms (started 7th Nov) after dropping to 3mg. Dropped to 3mg approx 22nd October.

Back to 4mg (7th November) and stabilising. Current symptoms started 23rd November 2018

Used diazepam (2018) 10mg 10th Nov, 5mg 11th Nov, 2.5mg 12 Nov, 2mg 13th Nov.

Used diazepam 10mg 24th Nov, 7.5 25th Nov and 5mg 26th November 2018

I am tempted to try COq10 for chronic fatigue. I see there's a thread here but no recent posts. Is this somewhat safe to try at a low dose? I see you have tried it @Altostrata

• Moderator Emeritus

KMart,

Have you gone back to your previous syringe technique and hence the higher dose? 

I will wait for Alto to share her experience, but COq10 can be too activating for some. 

5 hours ago, eymen23 said:

KMart,

Have you gone back to your previous syringe technique and hence the higher dose? 

I will wait for Alto to share her experience, but COq10 can be too activating for some. 

Yes I have gone back to my previous technique. I haven't noticed any difference yet. It's been about 6 days of feeling really bad.

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear that. With Prozac’s long half-life and the circa 13.5% drop whilst already at a relatively low dosage, things might take a little while longer to settle. 

3 minutes ago, eymen23 said:

Sorry to hear that. With Prozac’s long half-life and the circa 13.5% drop whilst already at a relatively low dosage, things might take a little while longer to settle. 

I think so too. When I started taking the extra bit out of the nozzle again I realized that it seems like barely anything comes out at all. So i'm not sure how much liquid i'm really getting out of it, but I hope that by taking it anyway things will go back to normal.

I started taking Ubiquinol 100mg today for the fatigue. It's unbearable and i'm bed ridden. If I notice any ill effects i'll stop right away. 

Huuuuuge no to Coq10. Was already feeling really bad the past few days & this sent me into a full on mental breakdown after a few hours. Worsened depression, suicidal thoughts, agitation, anger and intense crying spell. I'm done with the supplement experimenting and sticking to the vitamins I know I can handle. Really scared and hoping i'll come out of this terrible wave soon.

• Moderator Emeritus

I got bad leg muscle pain when I tried CoQ10.  I wasn't aware of how else it may have affected me, but that may have been because the pain was so bad that I just didn't notice how I was feeling emotionally, or just thought that it was related to being in pain.

23 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

I got bad leg muscle pain when I tried CoQ10.  I wasn't aware of how else it may have affected me, but that may have been because the pain was so bad that I just didn't notice how I was feeling emotionally, or just thought that it was related to being in pain.

I've had bad leg pain all day too !! How weird. Not a fan. I didn't notice any difference in energy whatsoever, the opposite actually.

Things are just getting worse and worse and worse. All my withdrawal symptoms from when I cold turkeyed have come back. I haven't gotten out of bed in 3 days. I can't wake up in the morning. My whole body is so weak I can barely lift my arms. I'm exhausted. Angry.. very angry. Depressed. Suicidal. Apathetic. Blood sugar swings. Sore all over. Can't stop crying. I'm scared. I feel like I messed up really bad and things won't go back to normal. I'm losing my marbles. 

Edited by ChessieCat
reworded obscenity
  • Administrator

Please hang in there during waves. When you have a bad reaction to something, it can take some time to settle down. Remind yourself you've been through this before.

Please post about your experience with CoQ10 in the CoQ10 topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

5 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Please hang in there during waves. When you have a bad reaction to something, it can take some time to settle down. Remind yourself you've been through this before.

Please post about your experience with CoQ10 in the CoQ10 topic.

Thanks Alto, i'm doing my best. Things have improved slightly today, I at least got out of bed for a bit. I have been wondering if i'm deficient in something that i'm missing. Is there a thread here on calcium? What are your thoughts on supplementing with it, in regards to withdrawal? I get virtually none in my diet. Grasping at straws here, just wondering if it could be something basic i'm missing or if I should accept i'm going to be very tired for a while.

I posted in the COq10 thread.

• Moderator Emeritus

You need to be patient and get through this bad reaction before trying anything.

And instead of testing things by trial and error, it would be better to go and get tested for possible deficiencies.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 7/31/2019 at 4:57 PM, Eastcoastgirl said:

Thanks Alto, i'm doing my best. Things have improved slightly today, I at least got out of bed for a bit. I have been wondering if i'm deficient in something that i'm missing. Is there a thread here on calcium? What are your thoughts on supplementing with it, in regards to withdrawal? I get virtually none in my diet. Grasping at straws here, just wondering if it could be something basic i'm missing or if I should accept i'm going to be very tired for a while.

I posted in the COq10 thread.

Eastcoastgirl,

I would try your best to stick with natural food sources of vitamins and minerals until things settle down. 

https://paleoleap.com/calcium/

There are plenty of non-dairy ways to get calcium into the diet. If you have had very little calcium in some time, it would be best not to rush into consuming lots of high calcium foods.

Edited by Karma
name update

Thank you both for the suggestions. My diet is very strict and I don't absorb nutrients well from food, but i've decided not to try anything new. Things are just continuing to get worse and I tend to get very desperate and scared when I spiral. Going to have lentils for calcium.