tmzddz: Paxil

tmzddz

Hello, I'm a new member, but have been following this site off and on for a few years. I began Paxil 40 mgs in January 1999. I have made many attempts at withdrawing, too numerous to remember and recount here, some of them being done "cold turkey" when I had found out I was pregnant. That was before I had internet and had no idea about properly withdrawing. Always ended up going back on at a full strength of 40 mgs. After ten+ years of trying, I got down to 10 mgs.

I have been taking Paxil 10 mgs for the past seven years. I've attempted to go lower several times, but end up going back up to 10 mgs, and I have remained there for several years now because I gave up trying, resigned to the fact I would have to take it forever. I am in healthier place now, having discovered I was severely deficient in B vitamins and zinc, while having an overload of copper. I eat healthier than I ever have, so I think I am ready to give withdrawing another go. This time properly and VERY slowly!

I am currently taking a generic paroxetine 10 mgs, oval tablet with a yellow coating manufactured by Aurobindo. For seven days, I have cut a small amount off the pill, but realized it will be too difficult to continue to cut as time goes by. I considered getting a digital scale but didn't know which one to buy, read some negative reviews that said those can lose their calibration, and I didn't think I could handle dealing with that. I decided on the water taper as being the best, easiest choice.

Which brings me to today and desperation! Last night before bed, I measured out 10 ml of water into a glass and dropped my tablet in. It started dissolving fairly rapidly. This morning I swirled the glass around and there were still solid bits at the bottom and I tried to swirl them in. They will NOT dissolve. As soon as I stop swirling, they immediately drop to the bottom and will NOT suspend. I transferred it all to a smaller shot glass. I swirled again and as fast as I could, I sucked up 1 ml into a syringe. The tip got clogged with the undissolved solids, and were shot out when I squeezed to get an exact 1ml left in the syringe.

I am SO frustrated! This doesn't seem precise at all, and even less precise than cutting. Those particles will not suspend enough to get an accurate measure withdrawn via syringe. Someone please advise on what I should do? I was so excited to make a new attempt, but now I'm left frustrated.

Paxil 40 mgs started January 1999, many withdrawal attempts since then, with two cold turkey.
Paxil 10 mgs since 2011. I had been unable to go lower for seven years.
Paxil 9 mgs began September 17, 2018. Continued for 12 weeks.
12-10-18 began 8.5 mgs. 01-21-19 began 8 mgs. 03-04-19 began 7.5 mgs. 04-15-19 began 7 mgs. 06-24-19 began 6.8 mgs.

07-29-19 began 6.6 mgs. 08-19-19 began 6.4 mgs. 09-30-19 began 6.2 mgs.
I've been through hell the past several months, tapering down from 7 mgs. I can't live like this, so I will increase, and remain there for the foreseeable future.  10-21-19 began 7 mgs.

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, tmzddz said:

After ten+ years of trying, I got down to 10 mgs.

Congratulations... That victory is definitely worth celebrating! This board was actually started by someone who had immense problems with Paxil. So you are in good company. : ) 

Thank you for filling out a signature. Would you please updated with your current dose?

I'm very glad you've decided to go slowly. We find best results with a maximum rate of 10% of current dose per month -- more info here: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

Info on tapering Paxil: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/405-tips-for-tapering-off-paxil-paroxetine/

That does sound very frustrating what's happening with the liquid preparation. But we'll get it figured out. 

While there is a brand-name liquid Paxil available (that's what I'm using), making your own suspension from tablets should work. 

In this thread, https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/ former moderator Rhi says "First just try putting it in water and see if the pill dissolves on its own. It may take a little while, my one that's coated takes about ten minutes. If it doesn't dissolve in water then try to crush it directly in the container that you're going to be adding water to, so powder won't be lost.
Alternatively, if your medication is in tablet form, you can

cut the tablet up into rough quarters with a pill cutter or knife

crush the tablet into powder using a pill crusher or mortar and pestle"

So maybe try crushing it in the container you're going to add water to, and making the solution from that. 

Let us know how that works out. Please don't be discouraged! This can be done. We'll figure out a way. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

SkyBlue, thank you! Can you briefly explain how you are tapering with liquid Paxil? You are on a tiny dose now! Do you water down the liquid Paxil? Did you start with a liquid Paxil that has 10 mgs per dose and go down from there?

I updated my signature with my current dose. I plan on tapering 10% or less at a time, and taking longer than a month at each dose.

I am unable to do the liquid Paxil because my insurance won't pay for it, and was told it would cost a couple hundred dollars out of pocket! Insane! So that's why I need to make my own suspension. But I could talk to my doctor about it. Is using the liquid the best way to do this? I want to be successful!

I have a pill crusher so I will try crushing the pill to see if that helps make the powder finer. And then add the water to that, so as not to lose any powder. Is there a thread where I can post about this specific problem and see if others found a solution?

I have considered what fluids might make the powder suspend such as honey, glycerin, or corn syrup, but then I'd be consuming a lot of sugar. I need more suggestions!

Paxil 40 mgs started January 1999, many withdrawal attempts since then, with two cold turkey.
12-10-18 began 8.5 mgs. 01-21-19 began 8 mgs. 03-04-19 began 7.5 mgs. 04-15-19 began 7 mgs. 06-24-19 began 6.8 mgs.

I've been through hell the past several months, tapering down from 7 mgs. I can't live like this, so I will increase, and remain there for the foreseeable future.  10-21-19 began 7 mgs.

• ChessieCat changed the title to tmzddz: Paxil
  • Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, tmzddz said:

SkyBlue, thank you! Can you briefly explain how you are tapering with liquid Paxil? You are on a tiny dose now! 

I updated my signature with my current dose. I plan on tapering 10% or less at a time, and taking longer than a month at each dose.

Hi t, 

You're very welcome! : ) 

Thanks for the signature update.

Liquid seems to be the best, but it's probably just as well to make your own suspension, because you won't be changing formulations (still taking the same tablet you're taking now, essentially), and liquid Paxil is very very expensive. Also, since you're working with tablets, you won't ever have trouble getting them prescribed. Any doctor can prescribe paxil tablets. 

I did a way-too-fast "taper" on my doctor's suggestion (25 to 20 to 10 to 5) and after 5mg I insisted on being prescribed liquid Paxil. I never went back to see him again and have been only going to doctors for refills, tapering down from 1mg for 2 years.

I've had severe symptoms for three years because of the essential "cold turkey."  I'm still going by about 2% each decrease/10% a month (thanks to this site!), which I think has been a lifesaver and protection against being further debilitated. 

You have probably saved yourself a world of pain, going as slowly as you are. I am so relieved for you!

Since the liquid Paxil is already mixed up, I just draw it up into an oral syringe (tiny one) and put it in (well, near) my mouth, wash the syringe, dry overnight.

Yes, many people are making their own solutions--please refer to the thread I posted above. It's very likely someone else has had the specific problem and found a solution.  https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules

Keep us posted on what you figure out!

Edited by SkyBlue
added link

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

Hi SkyBlue,
So last night I crushed my tablet with a pill crusher, opened it up, mixed it up, and smooshed it more with a spoon, and repeated several times until the pill was as fine as I could get it. Put 10 ml of water in it overnight. The sediment still settles to the bottom immediately, but it is much finer, so I am able to suck it into the syringe more reliably. I will continue with this method for now.

I also discovered the Ora Plus suspension liquid on Amazon, so I have ordered that, and hopefully it will work well enough for this to no longer be an issue!

On a side note, I am not used to posting in forums. I can't figure out how to make a QUOTE, as you have done above. I see the QUOTE button, but am not sure how to use it and only quote a portion of the text?!

• Moderator Emeritus

Highlight the text which you want to quote, and whilst hovering a quote message will appear.  You click on that.

31 minutes ago, tmzddz said:

The sediment still settles to the bottom immediately

Tablets contain fillers.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi ChessieCat!

I did it! So easy, thank you!

8 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Tablets contain fillers.

This brings up a point I need clarification on. Tablets contain fillers, and mine also have a yellow coating, so what I need to know is when I am reducing my dose by water tapering, is it correct that I want to get all of that sediment swirling and as evenly dispersed as possible, before drawing up into the syringe?

I don't let the sediment settle and then only draw up water do I? If that is the case, I have been worrying needlessly about getting it evenly distributed.

On a side note, I notice you have taken Pristiq. In 2012 I suffered from migraines, saw a neurologist, he saw that I was taking Paxil and wanted me to switch to Pristiq. I said I didn't want a NEW med. I don't even want to be on the one I am on and I want off of it! He's like no, no you want to take Pristiq because it is a BETTER drug! He gave me a bunch of free samples. Reminded me of a drug pusher...I threw the samples out and am so happy I never started that med! He gave me Depakote for the migraines. After a month and a half, half the hair on my head fell out, which I attributed to the Depakote. I stopped taking it and eventually my migraines went away, and my hair grew back.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/26/2018 at 12:57 AM, tmzddz said:

I don't let the sediment settle and then only draw up water do I? If that is the case, I have been worrying needlessly about getting it evenly distributed.

Were you able to read the link I posted above? There should be answers there about this or similar issues.

Hi SkyBlue,

I skimmed through that thread very quickly and was exhausted at the time, so I need to read through it carefully again!

Is it correct that if I have more questions, I post them HERE, and not in the thread? Because I feel like I am going to have more questions!

Thank you!

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, tmzddz said:

Is it correct that if I have more questions, I post them HERE

Yes, that is correct.  You ask questions about your own situation here in your Intro topic.  You can also journal your progress.  This way all your history is in one place.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• 8 months later...

Hello friends, I need help! I have seemingly been doing okay in my withdrawal  but now I feel like I am losing my mind and don't know how to go on with this. I've been at 7 mgs Paxil for seven weeks now and if I was feeling fine I would have reduced again last week but instead I feel like I'm losing my mind, which is how I have felt in the past when I have gotten down to 5 mgs, and is how I felt initially before starting Paxil 20 years ago.

I have been under constant increasing stress, which they say to start withdrawing when you're content and things are going well. I thought I was okay, but honestly my life will always be stressful. I can't change that.

Then three weeks ago I had a freak accident where I fell on my ribs and crushed everything and tore my muscles etc. I didn't take any pain reliever. It was traumatizing to my nervous system and I felt things change for me mentally because I was in so much pain and I felt very vulnerable.

And now my brain isn't working. I'm not functioning. It's the reason I went on Paxil to begin with. I don't know if maybe it just doesn't work for me any more and this would have happened anyway even if I didn't fall. I don't know if I tapered too fast. I don't know if it was because of stress chemicals being released and if I give it time maybe I will stabilize?

So I came here to see what you had to say about taking SOME tryptophan or 5HTP.  I know we're not supposed to while taking an SSRI due to the threat of serotonin syndrome
BUT if the reason we're on SSRIs and at some point in the past they were of benefit in making us feel better and if we are getting less serotonin while withdrawing, why can't we take a bit of the precursors, considering we can get tryptophan from food? If serotonin makes us feel better and we have less of it as we withdraw, but we can't take its precursors, I don't understand how we are EVER going to feel better?! I know there are many other neurotransmitters and this is very complex. Maybe serotonin wasn't even my problem 20 years ago, but an SSRI is what they gave me and it worked temporarily. And now my brain is a mess and I don't know how to fix it and I am starting to panic. I haven't felt this badly in years. I never thought I would feel this badly ever again, but here I am and I am scared I am going to lose my mind and never get it back.

So I have been reading on here for a couple hours trying to figure out what to do and I am completely overwhelmed and feel devastated because this is all so complicated! I spent eight months weaning and now I feel as bad off as if I wasn't taking anything. I expected to have difficulty as I approached 5 mgs, and then under, but not yet, not at 7 mgs. I don't know how anyone is successful at this. I am feeling devastated that the effort I put in may have been for nothing now.

I don't know where to go from here. Do I stay at 7 mgs and hope I stabilize or did I mess up everything in my brain by enduring so much stress? Do I go back up to 10 mgs and try again in the future? Your thoughts are appreciated. PLEASE give me some ideas of what I can do.

• Moderator Emeritus

Other members have found that they they experience difficulty getting past certain doses of their drug.

It is not unusual for additional stress (good, eg holiday, or bad, arguments, illness, etc) to cause withdrawal symptoms to increase.  I've had this happen several times during my taper.  The worst was when I nearly hit a child who dashed across in front of my car on a scooter just after the traffic lights changed in my favour.  It took a couple of months for the hyperalertness to go.  Your body has received a huge shock and it is needs time to settle down.  I think your best option is to stay at the dose your taking.  You could try taking some Magnesium .  If it was me I definitely would not be trying any supplements like tryptophan or 5htp.

I  also suggest doing some relaxation/deep breathing throughout the day, 3 or 4 times.  Set a reminder.  This can give your nervous system some rest and every bit of calming of the nervous system is helpful.

Thank you. I have an assortment of different types of magnesium, but I forget to take it.

I need to know about using CBD oil during withdrawal. Do we know if it is helpful? I know that people take it for anxiety and depression so I took a high quality CBD oil during the month of March according to the directions. The first week of use, I felt relaxed and thought hey this is working! But as time went on I became increasingly agitated and I found out that I was probably taking way too much and by that time I had used the entire large bottle within one month. I did not know about MICROdosing at that time. Now that I know, I would like to try again, but do we know if it is helpful/okay during withdrawal?

And I just read this in a new article about CBD from Dr. Mercola. "... it increases the number of endogenous cannabinoids, binds to serotonin receptors and stimulates GABA receptors, all of which play roles in mood."

I don't know what "binds to serotonin receptors" means? Does this mean it binds to receptors so that serotonin cannot? Is this a good thing or a bad thing for us?

• Moderator Emeritus

There are many existing topics on SA.  I use google and add survivingantidepressants.org to my search term.

cannabis-marijuana-thc-and-cbd-or-hemp-oil

The only supplements which SA recommends are magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil.