SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Nikki79: ready to be free

Nikki79

Hi everyone, I am so thankful to find this forum. I have been on Effexor XR 75mg for 10 months as prescribed by my doctor for anxiety issues. I am another person that wished I had known more about this drug before I began taking it. I have been seeing my psychologist during this time and I am feeling so much better and ready to stop taking Effexor XR. After having no real idea what I was in for i began searching online as my doctor (who I now think has no idea what this drug can do when stopped) just gave me a prescription for the 37.5mg and said start them alternating days with your 75mg. This worried me greatly when i started educating myself more on the withdrawal symptoms. My very supporting partner both discussed it and after much research decided we will open up the 75mg capsule and start the long process of bead counting and 10% reduction. I feel much safer doing it this way than just dropping the 50% to 37.5mg. So here I am day 2 and all is well so far but I am strapping myself in and doing everything possible to make it less severe as possible. Exercising, cleaned up my diet, started taking vitamin supplements and fish oil. I would appreciate any other tips there is a lot of info around but I am always grateful for more. I am ready to be free of Effexor XR. My anxiety is in check so far and am feeling positive. Thanks for reading, Nikki.

2006 - Xanax

2009-2017 Valium

2017 - Effexor XR 75mg

2018 - Effexor XR 75mg - September begin 10% taper beads

• ChessieCat changed the title to Nikki79: ready to be free
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, Nikki.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

You were very wise to avoid the terrible alternate day dosing and the 50% drop.  Here is some specific information on the 10% taper and tapering Effexor:

Regarding supplements, the only two we recommend are magnesium (magnesium glycinate is a good form) and omega fish oil.  

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

While it is often a first response to stress to take a B-Complex, in withdrawal it can be overstimulating.

We also recommend that you develop a toolkit of non-drug coping skills.

Some members find strenuous exercise helpful, while others find a gentle walk in nature works better for them.  Take it easy on the exercise and work up to what is most beneficial to you.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks for replying Gridley I am so glad I found this also. And thank so you so much for the links. I have been getting up before work and doing some cardio at my gym, hopefully I am ticking a few boxes and this time in my life won't be too hard to take.

2006 - Xanax

2009-2017 Valium

2017 - Effexor XR 75mg

So one week down and things have been seemingly ok so far besides Saturday. I've had constant headaches since Wednesday which although annoying they have been tolerable. Saturday I had a little melt down and couldn't stop crying for unknowns reasons. And then an hour or so later i just felt ok again, crying stops. I was sure it was just a symptom and tried not to think about it much more, I apologized to my partner for ruining the day although she was telling me it was fine and not to worry. We know we have a road ahead I am very lucky to have someone by my side. Supplements have been fine and no issues with taking them. All systems go, one week down. Thanks for reading, Nikki.

2006 - Xanax

2009-2017 Valium

2017 - Effexor XR 75mg