Cari: Deanxit withdrawal

Cari

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Cari said:

Yes it is morning here now... I am just at a tiny piece of Lorazapam... Im sure below 1/8 ... maybe 1/12 or even smaller...  Id hate to go back up... 

My sleep is awful the past 2-3 weeks... using a 1/4 piece of tylenol pm and it just gives me a few hours... I wake up often.. not a peaceful sleep.

Hi Cari,

My best guess then, would be to stay put then, with a consistent dose of the Lorazapam while you reinstate.

As far as the sleep goes.......perhaps the reinstatement amitrip will help with that.  We really can't know if it will, or not until you try.

About reinstating and stabilizing

" According to medical knowledge, reinstatement is the only way to alleviate withdrawal symptoms"

Keep us updated as you can, and will I expect.  Any other questions......please ask.

Thank you.

L,P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cari

• manymoretodays

• Altostrata

• ChessieCat

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi Cari,

My best guess then, would be to stay put then, with a consistent dose of the Lorazapam while you reinstate.

As far as the sleep goes.......perhaps the reinstatement amitrip will help with that.  We really can't know if it will, or not until you try.

" According to medical knowledge, reinstatement is the only way to alleviate withdrawal symptoms"

Keep us updated as you can, and will I expect.  Any other questions......please ask.

Thank you.

L,P, H, and G,

mmt

Honestly I'm afraid to reinstate . . . I was really praying going off Lorazepam would be easier . . .  And then just facing it one day at a time to heal. I was on such a small amount for a short time!!

I'm so tired of this being so hard. 😢

-Taking Deanxit - 1 tablet daily for 4-5 years (drug banned in many countries)

-Started tapering May 1, 2018

-Dr told me to go ct 1 week later

-Another Dr put me back on 1 week later (dizzy)

-Ended up in ER May 15, 2018 went to neurologist same day and he took me off Deanxit and put me on Depokine(Depokote) 5oo mg -Multiple withdrawal symptoms.

-Started tapering from Depokote 8 wks later - tapered slowly for 2 months

-Sept 20 stopped taking 64 mg Depokine on advice from 2 doctors seemed to be getting worse.

-many withdrawal symptoms continue no improvement.. 10 days off getting worse.

-given Lorazepam to sleep at night on Sept 21. Took 1/2 first 2 nights, then 1/4 the next, skipped 3 days, took 1/8, skipped a day, felt AWFUL the next day, trying to cut smaller from that day on... 1/8 or smaller...had a very bad day Oct. 8th...back to Dr. Trying to continue to taper........ afraid to just stop from very bad days!

15 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi Cari,

Thank you.

L,P, H, and G,

mmt

Hi, for water titration I just use regular clean water right? Nothing special?

-Ended up in ER May 15, 2018 went to neurologist same day and he took me off Deanxit and put me on Depokine(Depokote) 5oo mg -Multiple withdrawal symptoms.

-Sept 20 stopped taking 64 mg Depokine on advice from 2 doctors seemed to be getting worse.

-given Lorazepam to sleep at night on Sept 21. Took 1/2 first 2 nights, then 1/4 the next, skipped 3 days, took 1/8, skipped a day, felt AWFUL the next day, trying to cut smaller from that day on... 1/8 or smaller...had a very bad day Oct. 8th...back to Dr. Trying to continue to taper........ afraid to just stop from very bad days!

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes.  Water is fine for liquefying Tryptizol (or amitriptyline ).

Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

^ more on amitriptyline here

Edited by manymoretodays
link

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

17 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Yes.  Water is fine for liquefying Tryptizol (or amitriptyline ).

Tips for tapering off amitriptyline

^ more on amitriptyline here

Do I for sure need to take a tricyclic drug to reinstate?? Again, nothing else is available in Jordan, even with a prescription except the 2 boxes of Tryptizol I have, so this is basically my only option... it is a risk to start a drug and then not have anything available. If I need to stay on it for longer than I thought or if my body takes a long time to withdraw from it later on, or I need a bigger dose. I could have a big problem. Seems my luck in life. I'm never lucky! I would be less worried about starting or trying it if I knew it was always available. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 10/13/2018 at 8:37 AM, Shep said:

It takes 4 days for your nervous system to register a change and it may take a number of weeks for your nervous system to adjust to the reinstatement. For more, please see:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

The first post in that thread will answer many of the questions you are asking. 

And then this from Altostrata on the 8th of October:

"The idea is that reinstatement of a a SMALL amount, such as 1mg melitracen, or imipramine or amitriptyline might help you sleep so you don't need the benzo." 

Hi Cari,

From my understanding most of your symptoms began when you went off the Deanxit........do correct me if I'm wrong here.  So using the tricyclic(amitriptyline) component of that medication may help.

I think it's a better bet, than continuing to develop a dependency on Lorazepam. 

I mean if it was me.......that would be my rationale.

You are of course, responsible now, to do your best to manage any symptoms, you may have had prior to seeking care..........with non-drug coping skills

It's a challenge at first, and especially(more so) while in W/D........but can be an amazing opportunity for growth as well.

Again......it's okay, if you would like to try a reinstatement of 0.5 mg of the Tryptizol(amitriptyline).  You might hold at that dose for 4 days to a week, while also HOLDING with your 1/12 of a tablet dose of Lorazepam.  Then if symptoms are not changed, sleep is still off........go up to 1.0 mg of the Tryptizol(amitriptyline).

L, P, H, and growth,  (((((Cari)))))),

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
working on reply, elaboration

1 hour ago, manymoretodays said:

"The idea is that reinstatement of a a SMALL amount, such as 1mg melitracen, or imipramine or amitriptyline might help you sleep so you don't need the benzo." 

Hi Cari,

From my understanding most of your symptoms began when you went off the Deanxit........do correct me if I'm wrong here.  So using the tricyclic(amitriptyline) component of that medication may help.

I think it's a better bet, than continuing to develop a dependency on Lorazepam. 

You are of course, responsible now, to do your best to manage any symptoms, you may have had prior to seeking care..........with non-drug coping skills

It's a challenge at first, and especially(more so) while in W/D........but can be an amazing opportunity for growth as well.

Again......it's okay, if you would like to try a reinstatement of 0.5 mg of the Tryptizol(amitriptyline).  You might hold at that dose for 4 days to a week, while also HOLDING with your 1/12 of a tablet dose of Lorazepam.  Then if symptoms are not changed, sleep is still off........go up to 1.0 mg of the Tryptizol(amitriptyline).

mmt

I understand... I am suffering a lot from w/d symptoms still from Deanxit and I'm pretty sure that the Lorazepam was helping with these symptoms... my head and body feels very heavy and weak and my dizziness is increasing daily because my lorazepam pill is getting smaller... I want off the Lorazepam very much, weeks ago. I really do, it is a bad drug!

What I'm afraid of is I would be starting a drug that is not available in Jordan and I only have 2 boxes. What scares me is running out of the 2 boxes.... then what do I do?? Where would I go from there?

There is no other drug that is not a tricyclic that I can take?? (Only because there is no tricyclic in Jordan)  I feel like I'm in a terrible situation with only having 2 boxes. 😢

I'm so sorry for asking again.... grasping at straws.

3 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi Cari,

mmt

Again I greatly appreciate your help and knowledge of withdrawal syndrome, it has calmed me more than any doctors here in Jordan. 

There are many pharmacies in Jordan, I can also keep looking to see if I find more boxes of Tryptizol, I'm sure there is still more out there some where. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey......here's a suggest that just came to me.......what are the pharmacists like there in Jordan?

As it stands now, with your 2 boxes of Tryptizol........and making up a 3 day batch of liquid from each tablet........you've got 6 months worth now.

I wonder if the pharmacist would be willing to cut the tablets in half for you?  Using some accuracy as to......that each 1/2 tablet would then be consistent, in containing a 12.5 mg dose of active ingrediant of the Tryptizol/amitriptyline.  Then you could extend your usage of what you have to an entire year.  Do you follow?  The expiration date you mentioned was some time in 2020.  Or it may be that your solution, once mixed up with water......is okay to use for say.......6 days, kept protected from light and in the fridge.......in which case you would have a years supply right now.

So anyway......if you have a open and willing pharmacist to help you.......that would be a plus, eh?  No guarantees that that is the case......just an idea to pursue........and possibly AFTER you give this all a try?  It must be tough being so far from home........although..... maybe Jordan is the best place for you now.......for this.  Whereabouts in the States did you come from?....... and you can just be general with this information.......or not disclose if you don't wish to.  I don't mean to be intrusive.  Most of us value our privacy.

If I were you, honestly.......I would not delay for much longer.  I'm coming up with you having used the benzo now for 27 or 28 days?   I'm concerned.  This reinstatement of the Tryp/amitriptyline hopefully will allow for your rapid taper off the benzo.  (keep in mind that this is NOT something we recommend for long term users of benzo's, when you arrived you were just days on it).

Back when I arrived here.....soon after, one of the mods suggested this book to me called The Cure.  It had a chapter devoted to placebo's, as well as some other simply fascinating information.  .......someone climbing Mt Everest with an oxygen supply at the upper elevations......except his oxygen supply had no oxygen.  I can't recall if the climber was aware of this fact or not.......yet, the climber did just fine.  And this is my interpretation, keep in mind.......I don't have the book in front of me right now.  I know they did do some studies with pills, with or without active ingredients in them......of which the "consumer"  WAS aware of.......if they had a drug or not.  Yet, they took them......some took pills with active ingredient drugs and others without.  And I'm pretty certain the 2 groups, those taking the drug, and those who weren't(but still taking some non drug capsule daily) both fared the same in the end.  Maybe some of those on the placebo fared equally well or better than those on the actual drug.

I'm just sharing that because.......let's assume, if you will......that 0.5 or 1.0 mg of the Tryptizol/amitriptyline WILL help.  When you liquify it, and take consistent doses, and give it a chance.  I mean......who knows Cari, it may be that in 2 months or 4 months........you are educated, empowered, and stabilizing nicely..........and can begin to titrate down and off the reinstatement dose(mini-dose) that you are on.

S'okay.  All for today.

Both Shep and ChessieCat have provided some really awesome non drug coping guidance for you as well.  I really encourage you to get into that......try some, practice, establish some practices, that fit for you now.   And have faith.  Seriously, I don't know where I would be now, if it weren't for survivingantidepressants.org.   And I'm in a great place today.  And a couple more virtual hugs.

Best, L, P, H, and R,

mmt

1 hour ago, manymoretodays said:

Hey......here's a suggest that just came to me.......what are the pharmacists like there in Jordan?

As it stands now, with your 2 boxes of Tryptizol........and making up a 3 day batch of liquid from each tablet........you've got 6 months worth now.

I wonder if the pharmacist would be willing to cut the tablets in half for you?  Using some accuracy as to......that each 1/2 tablet would then be consistent, in containing a 12.5 mg dose of active ingrediant of the Tryptizol/amitriptyline.  Then you could extend your usage of what you have to an entire year.  Do you follow?  The expiration date you mentioned was some time in 2020.  Or it may be that your solution, once mixed up with water......is okay to use for say.......6 days, kept protected from light and in the fridge.......in which case you would have a years supply right now.

So anyway......if you have a open and willing pharmacist to help you.......that would be a plus, eh?  No guarantees that that is the case......just an idea to pursue........and possibly AFTER you give this all a try?  It must be tough being so far from home........although..... maybe Jordan is the best place for you now.......for this.  Whereabouts in the States did you come from?....... and you can just be general with this information.......or not disclose if you don't wish to.  I don't mean to be intrusive.  Most of us value our privacy.

If I were you, honestly.......I would not delay for much longer.  I'm coming up with you having used the benzo now for 27 or 28 days?   I'm concerned.  This reinstatement of the Tryp/amitriptyline hopefully will allow for your rapid taper off the benzo.  (keep in mind that this is NOT something we recommend for long term users of benzo's, when you arrived you were just days on it).

Back when I arrived here.....soon after, one of the mods suggested this book to me called The Cure.  It had a chapter devoted to placebo's, as well as some other simply fascinating information.  .......someone climbing Mt Everest with an oxygen supply at the upper elevations......except his oxygen supply had no oxygen.  I can't recall if the climber was aware of this fact or not.......yet, the climber did just fine.  And this is my interpretation, keep in mind.......I don't have the book in front of me right now.  I know they did do some studies with pills, with or without active ingredients in them......of which the "consumer"  WAS aware of.......if they had a drug or not.  Yet, they took them......some took pills with active ingredient drugs and others without.  And I'm pretty certain the 2 groups, those taking the drug, and those who weren't(but still taking some non drug capsule daily) both fared the same in the end.  Maybe some of those on the placebo fared equally well or better than those on the actual drug.

I'm just sharing that because.......let's assume, if you will......that 0.5 or 1.0 mg of the Tryptizol/amitriptyline WILL help.  When you liquify it, and take consistent doses, and give it a chance.  I mean......who knows Cari, it may be that in 2 months or 4 months........you are educated, empowered, and stabilizing nicely..........and can begin to titrate down and off the reinstatement dose(mini-dose) that you are on.

S'okay.  All for today.

Both Shep and ChessieCat have provided some really awesome non drug coping guidance for you as well.  I really encourage you to get into that......try some, practice, establish some practices, that fit for you now.   And have faith.  Seriously, I don't know where I would be now, if it weren't for survivingantidepressants.org.   And I'm in a great place today.  And a couple more virtual hugs.

Best, L, P, H, and R,

mmt

I also had considered the fact on my own that if I could some how cut the pill in half it would by me more time. I just wasn't sure how to go about doing it perfectly. Can pharmacies cut more perfectly?? And how do I know how long the drug is safe titrated? Someone online told me they thought 5 days was ok, but what determines this? How would I know the med is still ok? Does it mold? Or become less effective??

Also if a pharmacy made up a liquid form of the medication for me from the pill do they have a way if adding ingredients that make the liquid last longer than water?? Or would it just be the same effect and still last maybe 5-6 days?? 

Yes I've been on the benzo too long... I didn't expect my body to be so sensitive and I really thought Id be off by now... I think I am now below 1/18 or 1/20 now for sure... I'm just cutting a really tiny piece off. I'd send a picture if I could. But by afternoon the past few days I find myself feeling worse and worse. It stresses me more knowing I had a time limit also on the benzo... but Thx God I have at least gotten smaller within this time period.

I am from the midwest, originally grew up in Wisconsin.

Pharmacies are closed Fridays here and I know I need to make decisions. I am hoping reinstatement works.... but there is also the senerio that I have a bad reaction. What do I do at that point? What would I do? Hoping it works though.

Thx for all your input and help. It is much appreciated. Off to try to fall back to sleep. Hugs!! Thank you for sticking with we through this, it means the world to me!!!!

Best wishes and hugs

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Cari said:

I also had considered the fact on my own that if I could some how cut the pill in half it would by me more time. I just wasn't sure how to go about doing it perfectly. Can pharmacies cut more perfectly?? And how do I know how long the drug is safe titrated? Someone online told me they thought 5 days was ok, but what determines this? How would I know the med is still ok? Does it mold? Or become less effective??

As far as the pharmacy goes......I sure think they could........yet, it depends on their rules and regulations I'm sure.

A lot of good information gathered in the first post:  tips to tapering off amitriptyline.

"How stable is this solution of amitriptyline in water? See Buckles 2008 The stability of amitriptyline hydrochloride in aqueous solution http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2710.1976.tb00052.x/abstract

The present work, using thin layer chromatography and polarography, reports that solutions of amitriptyline hydrochloride in purified water at room temperature are stable for at least 8 weeks if protected from light.

Theoretically, you should be able to make a solution of amitriptyline in water, and use an oral syringe for precise dosing. See How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

I haven't personally done this and I don't know of anyone who has, so if you do it, please post your experience in this topic."

(I extracted this from that first post......please do go to the link given)

3 hours ago, Cari said:

I am hoping reinstatement works.... but there is also the senerio that I have a bad reaction. What do I do at that point? What would I do? Hoping it works though.

You would stop the reinstatement if you have a "bad reaction".

Cari, I'd suggest that you do some logs for us.......  That really helps us help you.  And especially if/when you get the reinstatement going.

Note the day.  Then time on the left, followed by the drug name, dosage, and then symptoms that you might be experiencing.  Include your sleep and supplements in this log.
You can look at a sample here drug and symptom pattern notes

And oof, the title of the book I referred to is simply Cure, A Journey Into the Science of Mind over Body, by Jo Marchant.

Yes, decisions.  B)  Sleep, yes, sleep is good.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

40 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

As far as the pharmacy goes......I sure think they could........yet, it depends on their rules and regulations I'm sure.

A lot of good information gathered in the first post:  tips to tapering off amitriptyline.

"How stable is this solution of amitriptyline in water? See Buckles 2008 The stability of amitriptyline hydrochloride in aqueous solution http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2710.1976.tb00052.x/abstract

Theoretically, you should be able to make a solution of amitriptyline in water, and use an oral syringe for precise dosing. See How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

I haven't personally done this and I don't know of anyone who has, so if you do it, please post your experience in this topic."

(I extracted this from that first post......please do go to the link given)

You would stop the reinstatement if you have a "bad reaction".

Cari, I'd suggest that you do some logs for us.......  That really helps us help you.  And especially if/when you get the reinstatement going.

Note the day.  Then time on the left, followed by the drug name, dosage, and then symptoms that you might be experiencing.  Include your sleep and supplements in this log.
You can look at a sample here drug and symptom pattern notes

And oof, the title of the book I referred to is simply Cure, A Journey Into the Science of Mind over Body, by Jo Marchant.

Yes, decisions.  B)  Sleep, yes, sleep is good.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

So the liquid form would be stable for 8 weeks??? Is this trustworthy information? Did I read it correctly?

• Moderator Emeritus

Cari,

I can't seem to access the full text......just the summary.  I think it's legit as it's in The Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics.

More can be found with a simple google search too.  I just plugged in "stability of amitriptyline in water" and got several additional sources and a bit more information.  I've got to wrap up here, for the night though now.

Again, use the links that Shep gave you as well, on making liquid solutions.

Fortunately or unfortunately........I'm not a pharmacist or doctor, and can't give you any more definitive advice here.

You can also just plug in amitriptyline in our search function on site, and see if you can find any others who are on, or tapering amitriptyline, or may have reinstated a very small dose.  That search box is in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

Yet, if it were me, or if I were you......I'd probably go with less than 8 weeks of using the same homemade solution.  To be on the safe side.  Again.......that's why I'm going with the 3 days for now.  To limit any degradation of the solution and stay on the safe side.

My own experience with a different medication......oxcarbazepine/Trileptal.......I just did 3 days of my dose in a water solution(then tossed it, and made a new batch after that).  I kept it in the fridge and protected it from light.   I used an empty plastic urine specimen cup, with a lid to keep my solution in.   And kept it protected from light with a brown paper bag wrap.  Somewhat crude.....yet, I stayed consistent and kept some personal logs.

It is helpful though, to have our members post them here too.......in a simple format.  As I mentioned above. 

I still experienced some W/D symptoms, as you will too, I expect......... but as I stayed with a consistent dose, and took time between dose changes, I began to have a more functional stability.

Best,

mmt

Zzzzzzzz time for this mod

Edited by manymoretodays

• Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Or it may be that your solution, once mixed up with water......is okay to use for say.......6 days, kept protected from light and in the fridge.......in which case you would have a years supply right now.

If you make a solution to keep for longer than a few days it may be better to use distilled water and if that isn't available then bottled water or even boiled water.

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

20 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

If you make a solution to keep for longer than a few days it may be better to use distilled water and if that isn't available then bottled water or even boiled water.

I'm not sure about distilled water, but we have a water cooler, and I could even boil the water to make sure it's very clean.

I was reading posts on people weaning from amitriptyline and it seems awful. Sigh . . . I wish this was easier. I really don't want more meds. . . . Feels like a vicious endless cycle. 

You know there is lots of Deanxit in Jordan. I even have a box. 100 pills in a box. Lol The one I went cold turkey from... but its only for short term use so Id be worried about starting that up again. It is also a banned drug in many countries. Just throwing this info out there. Its too bad I can't just reinstate what I was using.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cari, 

Just wanted to say you can buy distilled water in the supermarket. It’s usually in the section where the ironing aids are as a lot of people use it for ironing. I just use tap water for my water titrating as I make a new batch every day. 

Take care and all the best with your tapering💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

2 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Cari,

I can't seem to access the full text......just the summary.  I think it's legit as it's in The Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics.

More can be found with a simple google search too.  I just plugged in "stability of amitriptyline in water" and got several additional sources and a bit more information.  I've got to wrap up here, for the night though now.

Again, use the links that Shep gave you as well, on making liquid solutions.

Fortunately or unfortunately........I'm not a pharmacist or doctor, and can't give you any more definitive advice here.

You can also just plug in amitriptyline in our search function on site, and see if you can find any others who are on, or tapering amitriptyline, or may have reinstated a very small dose.  That search box is in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

Yet, if it were me, or if I were you......I'd probably go with less than 8 weeks of using the same homemade solution.  To be on the safe side.  Again.......that's why I'm going with the 3 days for now.  To limit any degradation of the solution and stay on the safe side.

My own experience with a different medication......oxcarbazepine/Trileptal.......I just did 3 days of my dose in a water solution(then tossed it, and made a new batch after that).  I kept it in the fridge and protected it from light.   I used an empty plastic urine specimen cup, with a lid to keep my solution in.   And kept it protected from light with a brown paper bag wrap.  Somewhat crude.....yet, I stayed consistent and kept some personal logs.

It is helpful though, to have our members post them here too.......in a simple format.  As I mentioned above. 

I still experienced some W/D symptoms, as you will too, I expect......... but as I stayed with a consistent dose, and took time between dose changes, I began to have a more functional stability.

Best,

mmt

Zzzzzzzz time for this mod

My Dr says she found 1 box of Anafranil which is also out of stock here... it is a tricyclic drug. I told her it's not the same drug though as Tryptazol. She says its not ideal but it is a tricyptlic.

Does that even make any sense... wouldnt that just mess me up more????

5 minutes ago, Carmie said:

Hi Cari, 

Just wanted to say you can buy distilled water in the supermarket. It’s usually in the section where the ironing aids are as a lot of people use it for ironing. I just use tap water for my water titrating as I make a new batch every day. 

Take care and all the best with your tapering💚

Thx Carmie, sadly Im in another country for now so not the same as in the US. But Im sure I could find it here some where. 

Thx for your help! 😘

I am getting more hypnic-jerks as I fall asleep... they have drifted off a little during all this time of w/d so I would only get a few then fall asleep. Just now I was so tired... went to try to take a nap since as always I sleep awful at night and it kept happening many times... I never did nap. Is this dangerous?? I know what it's called from searching on the site. But it is very disturbing.... I don't get a racing heart from it or feel I have anxiety.... but can't fall asleep. Now I worry it will be a bad night of sleep.

15 hours ago, Altostrata said:

What time do the hypnic jerks occur? Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

Are hypnic jerks safe? Dangerous? Should I worry? I've been getting more lately as I have more insomnia.

• Administrator

They are safe, but annoying.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 10/19/2018 at 12:44 PM, Cari said:

And how do I know how long the drug is safe titrated? Someone online told me they thought 5 days was ok, but what determines this? How would I know the med is still ok? Does it mold? Or become less effective??

I found these articles about amitriptyline stability in liquid:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27323428

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23966529

http://www.pharminfotech.co.nz/manual/Formulation/mixtures/amitriptyline.html

It's hard to pick an exact number, but it looks likely that you'd be okay with more than 3 days.  I'm making my own liquid (using citalopram, not amitriptyline) and keeping it about 2 weeks.  I use distilled water (which I got from the supermarket) so I know there are not a bunch of other chemicals in there that could potentially affect things.  I'm also using Oraplus (which I bought on ebay), which showed better stability of amitriptyline liquid in the first study above.  If keeping your liquid for 6 days would give you a year's supply, that gives you a good amount of time to source more amitriptyline if you need it.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

11 minutes ago, Songbird said:

I found these articles about amitriptyline stability in liquid:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27323428

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23966529

http://www.pharminfotech.co.nz/manual/Formulation/mixtures/amitriptyline.html

It's hard to pick an exact number, but it looks likely that you'd be okay with more than 3 days.  I'm making my own liquid (using citalopram, not amitriptyline) and keeping it about 2 weeks.  I use distilled water (which I got from the supermarket) so I know there are not a bunch of other chemicals in there that could potentially affect things.  I'm also using Oraplus (which I bought on ebay), which showed better stability of amitriptyline liquid in the first study above.  If keeping your liquid for 6 days would give you a year's supply, that gives you a good amount of time to source more amitriptyline if you need it.

Thank you! Not sure I could find Oraplus in Jordan. But storing it for 6 days would definitely be more helpful! Not good news that it tastes bad... but what can you do!? Ha Think I can store it for 6 days without the Oraplus?

• Moderator Emeritus
4 minutes ago, Cari said:

Thank you! Not sure I could find Oraplus in Jordan. But storing it for 6 days would definitely be more helpful! Not good news that it tastes bad... but what can you do!? Ha Think I can store it for 6 days without the Oraplus?

You can buy Oraplus on ebay.  I'm in New Zealand, and mine was sent from the USA.  It took a while to arrive, so I wouldn't wait for that to try reinstating a small dose.  I think you could store it for 6 days without Oraplus, but keep it in a dark container in the refrigerator and give it a really good shake before you draw up your dose.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• 2 years later...