Psychiatric drug withdrawal study by Davies & Read gets news coverage in the UK

Caspur

There has been a bit of a storm in the UK media over the last couple of weeks. There is an ongoing review of the effects of prescribed drug dependence by the UK government ( All Party Parliamentary Group for Prescribed Drug Dependence) after a request from Public Health England last year. PHE  is an executive agency of the UK government to monitor and improve health and social care delivery in England. The committee working on this project consists of many people, ranging from psychiatrists, doctors and psychologists through to people who have recovered from medication withdrawal and now campaign for change.

The details of the review are here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/prescribed-medicines-an-evidence-review

Last week a member of the review group was forced to resign due to his obvious connections to the pharma industry. Professor David Baldwin, a professor of psychiatry, has taken payments for his 'work' from at least 12 different pharma companies. He was put forward to participate on the review panel by the Royal College of Psychiatrists, the main UK professional body for psychiatry. Not surprisingly, many people objected due to his industry connections and he received quite a lot of negative publicity, especially on social media, which he blamed for his resignation from the group. In fact a very reasoned and well worded complaint about Baldwins participation in the project was lodged with the Royal College of Psychiatrists by a group of 30 psychiatrists, doctors, psychologists and people in recovery from antidepressant withdrawal, which they chose to ignore. The complaint was then escalated to the Secretary of State for Health (the leading UK government health minister).

Baldwins resignation made front page news in two national newspapers:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6203875/Government-drugs-advisor-QUITS-sustained-campaign-abuse.html

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/drugs-adviser-david-baldwin-quits-after-being-branded-worse-than-hitler-in-online-abuse-row-srtqltmfs

https://www.madintheuk.com/2018/09/royal-college-of-psychiatry-representative-resigns-from-government-review-after-complaints-about-his-drug-company-involvement/

Today there has been coverage of research published by two other members of the Prescribed Drug Dependence Committee, James Davies and John Read. I haven't seen a copy of the paper published by these well respected authors (Dr James Davies wrote Cracked and Professor John Read is well know for his work on and support of non drug treatments for mental health). When I find a copy I will post  it here. In the mean time these are the media articles that have been published today

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6228645/Now-doctors-wake-dangers-patients-hooked-depression-pills.html?ito=amp_twitter_share-top

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6229295/Millions-warned-severe-withdrawal-risk-coming-antidepressants.html

Accompanying this, there has been quite a bit of coverage on social media:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1044581415686477/?multi_permalinks=1465564233588191&notif_id=1538434827319380&notif_t=group_activity

https://fiddaman.blogspot.com/2018/10/breaking-antidepressants-cause-majority.html

Most of the coverage has been positive for the cause and there are rumblings about the possibility this research will have a positive affect on the warnings regarding withdrawal from psychiatric drugs, given out by health agencies and organisations in the UK. It would be nice to think the coverage will go further than that, but we shall see.

Thanks

Caspur

2011 - started Venlafaxine (again) at 75mg Raised to 150 mg at some point - unsure of dates. Reduced back down to 75 mg. Doctor advised this would be a lifetime, maintenance dose

2017 - Side effects now intolerable. Started taper from June 15th - 5% dose reduction steps (two 12 hourly doses).

2017 - October 20th - took last dose of Venlafaxine - 4 mg. Debilitating symptoms followed.

2017/18 - diazepam - 8mg/day for 1 month - 7 week taper Feb 2018

2017/18 - duloxetine - max 90mg - now stopped

2018 - Feb 25mg quetiapine, increased to 50mg.

2018 - March/April - increased venlafaxine slowly (10mg steps) to 75 mg/day. Recovery from withdrawal followed.

2018 - July 13 - stopped quetiapine after 2 month taper. Late July - had to reinstate quetiapine due to intolerable withdrawal. Now tapering from 25mg

2019 - June - stopped quetiapine after 10 month taper. Mild insomnia only symptom.

2021 - June - venlafaxine approx 6.0 mg see Taper history details

cannabis: Spring 2002 - Dec. 2007; regularly smoked, stopped cold turkey; symptoms: paranoid and depressed

Paroxetine: 20 mg July 2008, 40 mg October, 20 mg spring 2009, 0 mg summer 2009

Depakote (sodium valproate): October 2008 - Spring 2009

Haloperdidol 1 week Oct. 2008, H caused seizures, went to A&E;  stopped taking it.

Citalopram few weeks in the fall of 2009 to deal with withdrawal symptoms from stopping paroxetine

Paroxetine round 2: 20 mg Feb - summer 2010 -20mg don't remeber if I went up to 40mg

Venlafaxine & sodium valproate (again): Sep 2010 - Summer 2012  

SERTRALINE: November 2012 - May 2016 , 50-100mg (few days @ 150mg in Summer '15). a complete freak out at the end of April. 

May 2016 Prescribed Lithium and Abilify HAVE NOT TAKEN

No medications May 2016 - October 2016

Hospitalised - November 13th 2016 - Prescribed 15 mg Mirtazapine/Remeron. Reducing since 24 December 2016.  9 June 2017 medication free. 

• Altostrata changed the title to Psychiatric drug withdrawal study gets news coverage in the UK
  • Administrator

Very thorough, Caspur, thank you.

The Guardian has coverage here https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/oct/02/antidepressant-withdrawal-symptoms-severe-says-new-report

A press release from the All Party Parliamentary Group for Prescribed Drug Dependence Web site:

Millions at risk from antidepressant withdrawal, new review concludes
By admin on October 2, 2018 in News

The Journal of Addictive Behaviors has today published a new systematic review which shows that antidepressant withdrawal is much more widespread, severe and long-lasting than indicated by current guidelines, with millions of antidepressant users in the U.K. potentially affected. ‘A Systematic Review into the Incidence, Severity and Duration of Antidepressant Withdrawal Effects: Are Guidelines Evidence-Based?’ was undertaken by Dr James Davies, University of Roehampton and Professor John Read, University of East London, on behalf of the All Party Parliamentary Group for Prescribed Drug Dependence.

The review indicates that an average of 56% of patients who stop or reduce their antidepressants experience withdrawal symptoms, with 46% of these reporting their symptoms as severe.  Furthermore, most of the studies reviewed on duration found that a significant proportion of patients experienced withdrawal symptoms for more than two weeks, and that it is not uncommon for patients to experience symptoms for several weeks, months, or longer.  According to one study, 40% of patients experience symptoms for at least 6 weeks, and another indicates that 25% experience symptoms for at least 3 months.

Based on this data, the authors estimate that around 4 million people in England may experience symptoms when withdrawing from antidepressants, and around 1.8 million may experience these as severe.  In all, these findings contradict current national clinical guidelines (issued by NICE – the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence), which state that antidepressant withdrawal symptoms ‘are usually mild and self-limiting over about 1 week but can be severe’[1].

Dr James Davies: ‘This new review of the research reveals what many patients have known for years – that withdrawal from antidepressants often causes severe, debilitating symptoms which can last for weeks, months or longer.  Existing NICE guidelines fail to acknowledge how common withdrawal is and wrongly suggest that it usually resolves within one week.  This leads many doctors to misdiagnose withdrawal symptoms, often as relapse, resulting in much unnecessary and harmful long-term prescribing.’

Sir Oliver Letwin MP, chair of the APPG for Prescribed Drug Dependence: ‘This systematic review provides important new data on antidepressant withdrawal which will be considered by Public Health England as part of their current review into prescribed drug dependence.  The data suggests that existing medical guidelines in this area should be urgently updated to reflect the fact that antidepressant withdrawal is much more common, severe and long-lasting than previously stated. Furthermore, we hope that other medical bodies will take note of this new research, and update their own guidance accordingly.’

The review can be found at http://prescribeddrug.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Davies-Read.pdf

[1]NICE, 2009, 1.9.2.1 in CG90

This is a pdf of a draft of the paper http://prescribeddrug.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Davies-Read.pdf

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On bbc also, I’ve sent links to family members, hopefully now will start getting some sympathy

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

2014 returned to UK, mainly to get treatment getting off meds

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

Finally some recognition that withdrawal syndrome is a far more prevalent and serious then what its been made out to be. It can't be swept under the carpet for ever with more and more people speaking up about it.

Paroxatine - 2004-2006

Effexor XR 75mg 2006 - 2016 (Discontinued Feb 2016) - Withdrawal for 6 months.

Effexor XR 75mg Re-instated June 2017 (Discontinued Dec 2017)

Effexor XR 2-3 mg Re-instated March 10 2018 - 1 day (Didn't work)

Effexor XR 2mg Reinstated (Again) May 11 2018. 6 Beads

July 2018 - 0.0mg of Effexor. Zilch

I am so grateful for this. I managed to get through to a project called "the Bristol tranquilliser project" , the only project in the U.K. that recognises ssri withdrawal. As you can imagine, they are inundated. I have just reinstated at 6mg of citalopram  after lower doses failed to work to stabilise my horrendous symptoms. I've been dealing with dissociation and horrendous crippling anxiety and cognitive slowing. I find that i do well with contact support as I'm finding forums harder to access due to cognitive slowing. I do appreciate it though but the lack of support can be very hard. I have never experienced anything to this level in terms of the anxiety.  However, I do get windows and this is what I am holding onto. Windows of hope. This review is so important .. it could represent a seismic shift in the U.K. In person support groups and 24 hour phone lines would be lifesavers. 

1999:  Paroxetine (20mg). Age 16. 2007-2008: Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 1.5 years (age 25) Citalopram 20mg 2002-2005, 2009: Escitalopram (20mg), 2 weeks, (age 26) (adverse  reaction)/*Valium 5mg/Temazepam 10mg 2010: Mirtazipine (Remeron)( do not remember dosage) 2010, 5 months.                     2010-2017: Citalopram (20mg) (age 27 to 34) 2016: i.1st Sept- 31st Oct Citalopram 10mg , ii.1st November 2017-30th November 2017, Citalopram 5mg iii.1st December 2017- 4th February 2018, Citalopram 0mg, iv.5th February 2018- March 2018 Citalopram 5mg (10mg every other day) 28th February- tried titration of 5mg ( some adverse effects)

2018: 1st March 2018- 1st June Citalopram 10 mg (tablet form) /started titration 8mg , then 7 mg.2018: June 15th- 10th July Citalopram 10 mg pill every other day 2018: 10th July - 13th Sept Citalopram- 0mg  (CBD oil first month of 0mg, passiflora on and off) 2018 13th Sept Citalopram  2mg ,  approx 16th Sept 4mg , approx 25th Sept 6mg held.  2019: 11 Feb 19: 7mg (instant bad rxn) 12 Feb 19 6mg held 1 May 19 5.4mg held 5 Oct 19 5.36mg 22 Oct 19 5.29mg 30 Oct 19 5.23mg 4/NOV/19 5.18mg 12 Nov 19 5.08mg 20 Nov 19 4.77mg 7 May 22 2.31mg 17/09/2023 0.8mg

(Herbal/Supplements since 1st September: Omega Fish Oil 1200mg, 663mg of EPA- 2 tablets a day, magnesium and magnesium bath salts)

I did not die, and yet I lost life’s breath
- Dante

cannabis: Spring 2002 - Dec. 2007; regularly smoked, stopped cold turkey; symptoms: paranoid and depressed

Paroxetine: 20 mg July 2008, 40 mg October, 20 mg spring 2009, 0 mg summer 2009

Depakote (sodium valproate): October 2008 - Spring 2009

Haloperdidol 1 week Oct. 2008, H caused seizures, went to A&E;  stopped taking it.

Citalopram few weeks in the fall of 2009 to deal with withdrawal symptoms from stopping paroxetine

Paroxetine round 2: 20 mg Feb - summer 2010 -20mg don't remeber if I went up to 40mg

Venlafaxine & sodium valproate (again): Sep 2010 - Summer 2012  

SERTRALINE: November 2012 - May 2016 , 50-100mg (few days @ 150mg in Summer '15). a complete freak out at the end of April. 

May 2016 Prescribed Lithium and Abilify HAVE NOT TAKEN

No medications May 2016 - October 2016

Hospitalised - November 13th 2016 - Prescribed 15 mg Mirtazapine/Remeron. Reducing since 24 December 2016.  9 June 2017 medication free. 

I have read several of these articles, and I am so glad this study was done, by the respected Dr Davies and Prof Read. Finally, withdrawal is getting some acknowledgement and recognition.

7 months of prescribed polypharmacy in 2015-2016, including several classes of psych meds.

1st attempt at taper was too fast. 2nd attempt is underway.

1 Mar 2018: 37.5 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 300 mg quetiapine

1 Oct 2020: 30 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 37.5 mg quetiapine

15 May 2022: 25 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 0 mg quetiapine

11 Jan 2024: 20 mg paroxetine, 118.75 mg lamotrigine 

Supplements: Iron, Vit D magnesium glycinate, omega 3

I am not a medical professional. All my posts are my opinions only, based on my experiences.

I am also so happy. I just wait when the other articles for example about Lyrica and benzos come out. I wish I could have helped more. I did but this country is so stuck, nobody is working, taking care. It pains me.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

7 hours ago, Distraut said:

Yes, I read this earlier. She was quite brave to be so candid. She does work for the Daily Mail though, so I guess there's some good support for her there! I was quite surprised she was so forgiving of the doctors who prescribed the meds. It is partly their fault. They desperately need to educate themselves about withdrawal, listen to their patients and reduce the inevitable 'relapse' diagnoses.

Capsur

2011 - started Venlafaxine (again) at 75mg Raised to 150 mg at some point - unsure of dates. Reduced back down to 75 mg. Doctor advised this would be a lifetime, maintenance dose

2017 - Side effects now intolerable. Started taper from June 15th - 5% dose reduction steps (two 12 hourly doses).

2017 - October 20th - took last dose of Venlafaxine - 4 mg. Debilitating symptoms followed.

2018 - March/April - increased venlafaxine slowly (10mg steps) to 75 mg/day. Recovery from withdrawal followed.

2018 - July 13 - stopped quetiapine after 2 month taper. Late July - had to reinstate quetiapine due to intolerable withdrawal. Now tapering from 25mg

2019 - June - stopped quetiapine after 10 month taper. Mild insomnia only symptom.

Awareness has been painstakingly slow to go mainstream.  Just a simple google of antidepressant withdrawal will bring you to numerous health websites that still characterize it as "discontinuation syndrome" and most say it resolves in a few weeks.  How has this happened?  The government let it happen with the FDA approval of these medications with zero data on long term exposure, and the consequences of coming off. The pharmaceutical lobby.  The Doctors who prescribe it. There is plenty of blame to go around. With the realization that millions are now dependent the public must demand our government officials address this crime.  We are heading that way.  But it is painstakingly slow as our mainstream media is too busy fighting culture wars. 

14mg prozac liquid 4/20/2018

3/11/2019 6.0mg prozac liquid. 

2/17/2020 3.6mg prozac liquid

Hi All,

This piece of research really is the gift that keeps on giving. There have been many different news papers covering the topic, some in multiple articles and there have been TV news pieces and  interviews off the back of it. The coverage seems to have encouraged more people to speak up,which is great. Even better, there have been some heeded calls for UK health agencies and organizations to update their advice on antidepressant prescribing and risks. This includes, NICE - the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence -  which produce the guidelines that doctors are supposed to abide by.

Here's a selection of the more recent articles:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16979395.scotlands-secret-addicts-the-patients-hooked-on-antidepressants-and-harmed-by-withdrawal/?ref=fbshr&fbclid=IwAR0tV-u06Jqo88Jpu4-LRC9lB2pX0Nw8UixEMSvuX4afFL8st-T9LyAWB1Y

This one is particularly interesting as the lady in question is the wife of Michael Gove MP, who is the current UK Home Secretary ( a senior cabinet minister). She can't get off her AD meds safely.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-6236567/SARAH-VINE-given-antidepressants-cope-black-dog.html?fbclid=IwAR29N0KXyUbLqsOFwhF6ol0rV1fkcPG9ta_1y0nvv8VPQmV-3Pi3JjiwWz8

https://doctorterrylynch.com/prescribed-drug-dependence-psychiatrys-appalling-response-to-research-findings/?fbclid=IwAR0S8hIYqUrZENw_uD7nyHGjiOReS8dcwx4Nntdu4GJUtnKV8-qg0LMtOD0

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-45794690?intlink_from_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Ftopics%2Fcwlw3xz04egt%2Fmental-health&link_location=live-reporting-story&fbclid=IwAR2rh09FCARSMCaDigDcJHnaC2fuj1C_qAk3-IyROXNM5wT40F9zirc7e1M

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/side-effects/201810/antidepressant-withdrawal-said-affect-millions?fbclid=IwAR3XVkOQ4R9TjDlF1lPssiPEQR_eA2uq3hdZjvikGHIDYQnwsA5_cBm-peQ

https://www.madinamerica.com/2018/10/results-world-largest-antidepressant-study-look-dismal/?fbclid=IwAR1RCSf6jgUfyggs6_Xp1MB2i3g-JpHROQRiEniYTs1MsKPHTCNrX8K4Lgw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNxBEpYSJEc&fbclid=IwAR0uOAUEU1XDtHoayZbEubap-FeHBQ3Z3xwDhJ_eTqubh8tktc1jOXIwXUM

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/antidepressants-cause-severe-withdrawal-symptoms-hallucination-mania-anxiety-new-?fbclid=IwAR1FSwIJuau28EdiVLHKV2TOdu5BQET9th4bZCDygXsyUw3zg7591QuExAk

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/clinical/clinical-specialties/mental-health/nice-antidepressant-withdrawal-guidance-misleading-and-without-evidence/20037572.article?fbclid=IwAR3_NZV0ZKhaSx5ghUQjcoX_EVF9REEL_NTdLki3GuBWTfF-KPVvsd8U5Ao

Love and peace to all!

Cheers

Caspur

I love this quote! Might have to show this to my Phsychiatrist who said that it doesnt last more than a few weeks. See what they have to say about it.

"Nearly half also said they experienced withdrawal symptoms for more than a year, and 30% claimed they gave up work due to withdrawal"

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/clinical/clinical-specialties/mental-health/nice-antidepressant-withdrawal-guidance-misleading-and-without-evidence/20037572.article?fbclid=IwAR3_NZV0ZKhaSx5ghUQjcoX_EVF9REEL_NTdLki3GuBWTfF-KPVvsd8U5Ao

https://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/clinical-areas/prescribing/nice-antidepressant-withdrawal-guidance-misleading-and-without-evidence/

Edited by ChessieCat
added new link

Paroxatine - 2004-2006

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Thank you for this. My Skype CBT therapist pulled up the Herald article today and said she was very interested in it, it seems I have her support which is amazing. Now to convince my GP. @Caspur, would you mind if I copied and pasted the main parts of your original post to form a letter for my doctor?

2008-2013 - Various meds on and off since age 18 incl. Sertraline, Prozac, Mirtazipine, Abilify. Prescribed for severe OCD.

CT'd several times over these years and reinstated after subsequent psych hospitalisations.

2014-2015 - Clomipramine, quetiapine and Epilum

2015-Jan 2017 - Prozac 40mg (stopped contraceptive pill, most stable period of time)

(Beginning of taper) Jan-October 2017 - Tapered Prozac to zero.

15 Jan 2018 - Reinstated Prozac at 2mg due to acute w/d symptoms

February 2018 - tapered to 1.8mg

May 2018 - reinstated at 5mg due to severe w/d symptoms. 9 month hold, stabilized well at around 6/7 months.

March 2019 - Tapered to 4.9mg

Current supplements: fish oils, probiotic, ashwaganda, colostrum powder, cannabis

Great to know that proffesionals are starting to pay attention as-well. The more attention this gets the more likely that research will be conducted into discontinuation syndrome & offer some more insight & possibly treatment for those of us suffering.

Paroxatine - 2004-2006

17 minutes ago, AbbyElfie said:

Thank you for this. My Skype CBT therapist pulled up the Herald article today and said she was very interested in it, it seems I have her support which is amazing. Now to convince my GP. @Caspur, would you mind if I copied and pasted the main parts of your original post to form a letter for my doctor?

Hi AbbyElfie,

Please feel free to use the information as you wish. I have no problem at all with you copying my text.

Cheers

Caspur

Thank you! Much appreciated x

2008-2013 - Various meds on and off since age 18 incl. Sertraline, Prozac, Mirtazipine, Abilify. Prescribed for severe OCD.

CT'd several times over these years and reinstated after subsequent psych hospitalisations.

2015-Jan 2017 - Prozac 40mg (stopped contraceptive pill, most stable period of time)

May 2018 - reinstated at 5mg due to severe w/d symptoms. 9 month hold, stabilized well at around 6/7 months.

Current supplements: fish oils, probiotic, ashwaganda, colostrum powder, cannabis

Hey guys, I have attached a template of a letter I wrote and sent to my doctor today. The attached doc basically sums up the above information and gives them the opportunity to read the evidence and reconsider their line of treatment for anyone in withdrawal. I've removed bits of personal info to make it more generic, and highlighted in red parts where you will need to add your own information. (Admin, if this is in an inappropriate place my apologies, please let me know). 

Might help those who are not in a good enough state to gather info/write out a letter.

Doctor Withdrawal Template.docx

What a great letter, AbbyElfie. Thank you for sharing it and for including all of those links to recent articles.

My goal for the future--what I will do once my daughter has completely recovered (and she is well on the way!) from protracted withdrawal-- is to send out a letter like this to her former prescriber, local psychiatrists, and others who are still engaged in wreaking people's lives, wittingly or unwittingly, via the promiscuous prescribing of these poisonous drugs. 

Drugfree Prof

Psychologist and Psychotherapist

Prozac 20 mg for approx 3 months during 2000, withdrew, no w/d sx

Prozac 10 - 30 mg Jan. 2008 - Dec. 2014

Ritalin 30-40 mg Jan. 2008 - Mar. 2015

W/d sx from Prozac started around 3 months after cessation--crying spells, depressed mood, lethargy; resolved in 8 - 12 mos. post cessation

Used and continue to use a TON of alternative methods--meditation, mindfulness, nutrition. supplements, exercise, etc.

1 hour ago, AbbyElfie said:

Hey guys, I have attached a template of a letter I wrote and sent to my doctor today. The attached doc basically sums up the above information and gives them the opportunity to read the evidence and reconsider their line of treatment for anyone in withdrawal. I've removed bits of personal info to make it more generic, and highlighted in red parts where you will need to add your own information. (Admin, if this is in an inappropriate place my apologies, please let me know). 

Might help those who are not in a good enough state to gather info/write out a letter.

Doctor Withdrawal Template.docx

Great letter. Good stuff. Please post any response here, if you get one. For info I have written a similar letter to my psychiatrist, which I posted early last week. No response as of now. Copy attached for anyone who want to reuse.

Cheers

Caspur

Dr_letter_8-10-18.docx

Thanks very much for sharing the template letter, @Caspur. I shall be bringing a copy to my next meeting with my psychiatrist in January.  If he is not amenable to helping me to taper in a controlled fashion, I will ask my G.P.

Jan 2023: Venlafaxine XR 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.25 mg, Oestradiol 100 micrograms

Dec 2022: Venlafaxine XR 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.25 mg. HRT stopped for hysterectomy surgery 5 Dec 22 (potential clotting risk)

September 2022: Venlafaxine XR 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.25 mg, Oestradiol 100 micrograms, Progesterone 100 mg.

Apologies but I can't remember or find details at the moment, but I slowly reduced Venlafaxine and Lorazepam through 2020-2021-2022.

Jan 2022: HRT increased by GP for unknown reason to oestradiol patch 100 microg, progresterone 100 mg

June 2021: started HRT (oestradiol patch 50 microg, progresterone 100 mg). 

August 2020:  Made a 16% reduction in Lorazepam at psychiatrist's recommendation (1.25 mg) while holding Venlafaxine at 150 mg.

March 2019 - March 2020: Venlafaxine  XR tapered from  337.5 mg  to 150 mg (60% reduction), while continuing 1.5 mg Lorazepam.

March 2016 - January 2019: Mirtazapine taptered to 0, while continuing on 1.5 mg Lorazepam and 375 mg Venlafaxine XR.

Feb. 2015: 7.5 mg Mirtazapine + 1.5 mg Lorazepam + 375 mg Venlafaxine.

Please can subscribers to this forum sign up to the email updates from the http://prescribeddrug.org/ site? There are only 222 people subscribed so far. There are many thousands of people on this forum who will benefit from the work this organisation are doing. I do appreciate many people have their own struggles and are in countries far away from the UK, but I'm sure the results of their work will have an impact outside the UK in the medium to long term. Lets show them there's a lot of interest in what they are doing 🙌

@Caspur, I have signed up! Even though I live far away.

I also emailed my psychiatrist the link to an article about the Davies and Read study. Hopefully he will take it seriously. I am in South Africa, so the proliferation of new information/material is a bit delayed, but we get there eventually :).

7 months of prescribed polypharmacy in 2015-2016, including several classes of psych meds.

1st attempt at taper was too fast. 2nd attempt is underway.

1 Mar 2018: 37.5 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 300 mg quetiapine

1 Oct 2020: 30 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 37.5 mg quetiapine

15 May 2022: 25 mg paroxetine, 150 mg lamotrigine, 0 mg quetiapine

11 Jan 2024: 20 mg paroxetine, 118.75 mg lamotrigine 

Supplements: Iron, Vit D magnesium glycinate, omega 3

I am not a medical professional. All my posts are my opinions only, based on my experiences.

15 hours ago, DrugfreeProf said:

What a great letter, AbbyElfie. Thank you for sharing it and for including all of those links to recent articles.

My goal for the future--what I will do once my daughter has completely recovered (and she is well on the way!) from protracted withdrawal-- is to send out a letter like this to her former prescriber, local psychiatrists, and others who are still engaged in wreaking people's lives, wittingly or unwittingly, via the promiscuous prescribing of these poisonous drugs. 

@DrugfreeProfIt is so wonderful to hear of your support for your daughter. I think it's so important that the families and supporters of those suffering from protracted withdrawal present their accounts to the medical establishment. Not only does it confirm the experience of the loved one whose presentations are often dismissed but it highlights the impact this is having on families. My protracted withdrawal has put a huge strain on my family. I have also had to postpone a course for a whole year. 

I am so glad to hear your daughter is healing. 

1999:  Paroxetine (20mg). Age 16. 2007-2008: Fluoxetine (Prozac) for 1.5 years (age 25) Citalopram 20mg 2002-2005, 2009: Escitalopram (20mg), 2 weeks, (age 26) (adverse  reaction)/*Valium 5mg/Temazepam 10mg 2010: Mirtazipine (Remeron)( do not remember dosage) 2010, 5 months.                     2010-2017: Citalopram (20mg) (age 27 to 34) 2016: i.1st Sept- 31st Oct Citalopram 10mg , ii.1st November 2017-30th November 2017, Citalopram 5mg iii.1st December 2017- 4th February 2018, Citalopram 0mg, iv.5th February 2018- March 2018 Citalopram 5mg (10mg every other day) 28th February- tried titration of 5mg ( some adverse effects)

2018: 1st March 2018- 1st June Citalopram 10 mg (tablet form) /started titration 8mg , then 7 mg.2018: June 15th- 10th July Citalopram 10 mg pill every other day 2018: 10th July - 13th Sept Citalopram- 0mg  (CBD oil first month of 0mg, passiflora on and off) 2018 13th Sept Citalopram  2mg ,  approx 16th Sept 4mg , approx 25th Sept 6mg held.  2019: 11 Feb 19: 7mg (instant bad rxn) 12 Feb 19 6mg held 1 May 19 5.4mg held 5 Oct 19 5.36mg 22 Oct 19 5.29mg 30 Oct 19 5.23mg 4/NOV/19 5.18mg 12 Nov 19 5.08mg 20 Nov 19 4.77mg 7 May 22 2.31mg 17/09/2023 0.8mg

(Herbal/Supplements since 1st September: Omega Fish Oil 1200mg, 663mg of EPA- 2 tablets a day, magnesium and magnesium bath salts)

- Dante

@AbbyElfie This is a fantastic letter. It will help many who find letter composition difficult due to cognitive WD symptoms. I would like to write to my GP. I feel nervous about challenging their fixed viewpoint but if letters could be written en mass it could infiltrate the profession at a far reaching level. GPs must surely must see patients coming with WD symptoms all the time. I suppose most patients have already bought  into the idea these are a return of their symptoms. What about those that did not have such symptoms before though? I find it hard to believe that despite the 3 GPs and one psychiatrist I have dealt with categorically stating they have not had patients who have found it hard to withdraw, surely this can't be correct?  I wonder if they believe this because they are pre-filtering and thus it is not registering as PAWS or if they are refuting the evidence knowingly, or a mixture of both?  I suppose it depends on the GP. Psychiatrists are in a different ballgame.

It's interesting that the Daily Mail have been outspoken championing the cause. Though it's a sensationalist rightwing paper, perceived as unrealiable ( see sources, Wikipedia, and Guardian) but on the contra side exposure is what counts here. The Guardian has picked up on it but to a lesser extent. Work of the APPG is exciting. Fingers crossed. Imagine if more psychiatrists were like Joanna Moncrieff and Sami Timimi.

- Dante

1 hour ago, Caspur said:

Please can subscribers to this forum sign up to the email updates from the http://prescribeddrug.org/ site? There are only 222 people subscribed so far. There are many thousands of people on this forum who will benefit from the work this organisation are doing. I do appreciate many people have their own struggles and are in countries far away from the UK, but I'm sure the results of their work will have an impact outside the UK in the medium to long term. Lets show them there's a lot of interest in what they are doing 🙌

Done. I agree! I hope they can keep their profile up.

- Dante

http://prescribeddrug.org/appg-for-prescribed-drug-dependence-calls-on-camden-ccg-to-reverse-decision-to-close-support-service-for-patients-dependent-on-benzodiazepines/

I also wonder who is behind the closing down of REST, the only project in London that deals with benzodiazepine withdrawal ( it doesn't cover SSRI withdrawal). That leaves only the Bristol Tranquilliser Project who does support those going through SSRI withdrawal but it takes many attempts to get through to their helpline counsellors. It is a truly awful situation that this service is being cut. It surely ought to be the other way around.

- Dante

No problem guys, yeah I was thinking the same.. What if everyone could bring a similar letter to their doctor/psych? It could make quite an impact if everyone on this forum alone did so. I will definitely update if I receive a response, feel free to share with anyone or any groups you might think it would be relevant x

Updated letter template

Dr_letter_17-10-18.docx

• Mentor

I'm thrilled to see that the UK is starting to talk about this. This means there's a chance the US will one day follow suit.

Effexor XR 37.5mg and Wellbutrin XL 150mg from age 15-30 (2001-2016). Hell withdrawal. Drug free (and happy) since 2016.

I am the founder Happiness Is A Skill, a weekly newsletter dedicated to helping people heal from depression by learning the skill of happiness. Join hundreds of others and subscribe here: http://learnhappy.brookesiem.com/

I wrote this for the The Washington Post: I spent half my life on antidepressants. Today, I'm off the medication and I feel all right.

@Cara1616 here is the post I mentioned on your thread. Both myself and Caspur have shared letter templates above if you'd like to check them out x

Hi All,

Two more articles  from the UK press. These came of the back of the article about a politicians wife (Sarah Vine) who cannot stop taking her antidepressant. Many people wrote into the news paper after her article was published opening up about their own battles trying to stop antidepressants:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-6287579/Anxiety-pills-stories-suffering.html?fbclid=IwAR0p6HFCZDRCcOk5UX74GqttrOw3yZ0rR4OeWGMTABLi6F4ycuLk3XX8nRc

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/scottish-daily-mail/20181018/282810717248522?fbclid=IwAR1lHZZnC86nUxNwrvyZiajR1IuX54mdOToKbcu4xcV2VLTLSHMsEdzFTsw

You may have to scroll through to find the article in the second link.

Thanks

Capsur

16 hours ago, AbbyElfie said:

@Cara1616 here is the post I mentioned on your thread. Both myself and Caspur have shared letter templates above if you'd like to check them out x

Thank you so much @AbbyElfie and @Caspur! These are so incredibly helpful!

Start 50mg Zoloft May 2003, Upped to 100mg Zoloft July 2003

April 2016 dropped to 50mg Zoloft

May 24 2016 dropped to 25mg Zoloft

June 6 2016 stopped taking Zoloft (crashed so hard!)

July 12 2016 Reinstated 12.5mg Zoloft, July 30 2016 Up to 25mg Zoloft with psychiatrist help

October 16 2016 17.5mg Zoloft (best taper yet, very happy here!)

January 13 2017 12.5 mg HUGE withdrawals began, developed interstitial cystitis in August

March 9, 2018 started 5mg Celexa, March 14, dropped to 6mg Zoloft, March 24, dropped to 3mg Zoloft

April 4, 2018, stopped Zoloft completely

April 6, 2018, completely stop Zoloft and Celexa at the same time

Currently taking Prebiotic, Probiotic, ASEA, Magnesium, Adrenal Support Spray(glandular formula), and CBD Balm

Loving myself every step of the way ❤️ 

3 hours ago, Cara1616 said:

Thank you so much @AbbyElfie and @Caspur! These are so incredibly helpful!

You're welcome @Cara1616 Very pleased to be able to help you.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy