Caspur

Psychiatric drug withdrawal study gets news coverage in the UK

Caspur

Hi All,

Another media piece, this time from the US and about benzodiazepines.

Warning, its a difficult read and refers to suicide quite a few times.

There are links to other articles written in the same paper, embedded in the article.

https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20181023/seidman-epidemic---and-its-not-opioids

Thanks

Caspur

AbbyElfie

Hey guys, wanted to share some positive news with you in regards to the above letter I sent my doctor. I hadn't heard anything back so I rang today and requested a call back from her, as I have a referral to a new psychiatrist next week and wanted the doctor to forward the letter to them also.

A while later I got a call from the head pharmacist at the local chemist. My doctor had asked her to call me, which at first confused me a bit. But the pharmacist basically said she had also read the letter and appreciated the information I'd provided - that they understand there is some evidence now that indicates 'some' individuals experience protracted withdrawal, but they also have to work within their system and the current evidence they use. However, both her and the doctor are prepared to support me in a very slow taper off the remainder of the Prozac, and she gave me a guideline plan of reducing by 0.1mg approx every 3 to 6 months (I want to go extra slow now), with the intention of getting off it completely.

Have to say I was really impressed with how pro-active and understanding this lady was, and also how readily she listened to the evidence. Initially I'd been a bit defensive and ready to have an argument with them, but she had a plan all laid out for a super slow withdrawal and was happy to help with it. It apparently costs more to prescribe liquid fluoxetine and she will have to justify ordering it for me for such a long period by saying that the intention is to come off it completely. She did suggest that, for now, this is still considered an 'unusual' case (HA!), but I'd say that is a big step forward all things considered.

I hope you guys have similar success with healthcare professionals, I was pleasantly surprised by her attitude! Wishing you all the best x

Caspur
On 10/25/2018 at 7:04 PM, AbbyElfie said:

Hey guys, wanted to share some positive news with you in regards to the above letter I sent my doctor. I hadn't heard anything back so I rang today and requested a call back from her, as I have a referral to a new psychiatrist next week and wanted the doctor to forward the letter to them also.

A while later I got a call from the head pharmacist at the local chemist. My doctor had asked her to call me, which at first confused me a bit. But the pharmacist basically said she had also read the letter and appreciated the information I'd provided - that they understand there is some evidence now that indicates 'some' individuals experience protracted withdrawal, but they also have to work within their system and the current evidence they use. However, both her and the doctor are prepared to support me in a very slow taper off the remainder of the Prozac, and she gave me a guideline plan of reducing by 0.1mg approx every 3 to 6 months (I want to go extra slow now), with the intention of getting off it completely.

Have to say I was really impressed with how pro-active and understanding this lady was, and also how readily she listened to the evidence. Initially I'd been a bit defensive and ready to have an argument with them, but she had a plan all laid out for a super slow withdrawal and was happy to help with it. It apparently costs more to prescribe liquid fluoxetine and she will have to justify ordering it for me for such a long period by saying that the intention is to come off it completely. She did suggest that, for now, this is still considered an 'unusual' case (HA!), but I'd say that is a big step forward all things considered.

I hope you guys have similar success with healthcare professionals, I was pleasantly surprised by her attitude! Wishing you all the best x

Wow @AbbeyElfie thats good news and very good news for you. It does prove there are doctors out there willing to listen and learn from their patients. Not all of them are egomaniacs who only believe things they know about are possible, and everything else is in their neurotic patients heads or just psychosomatic!

Good luck with the taper

Cheers

Capsur

Caspur

MOD NOTE:  This is SA's topic on the Scottish Petition

Hi All,

This is information about the Scottish petition that is being processed at the moment:

https://www.helensburghadvertiser.co.uk/news/17010804.helensburgh-woman-hoping-for-review-on-use-of-anti-depressants/?ref=twtrec&fbclid=IwAR0vI1MljdNq47_p3aSk_RW7zlQrTWMZfePAsWMwQvlxh7kf9aQxpf_PVj8

The actual petition is here:

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651?fbclid=IwAR1lGanM2-j2xWgJSu6rFnirQs7Yc1FQTL_m4ZwtlAMh50btI5ynjCQ4-qA

Please look at the huge number of supporting evidence submissions. There are some very heartfelt and angry descriptions of peoples suffering at the hands of prescription medications.

Cheers

Caspur

Edited by ChessieCat
added mod note

AbbyElfie

Thank you @Caspur, and thanks for sharing these articles and studies!

ChessieCat
On 10/27/2018 at 12:27 AM, Vanora said:

If there are still people who haven't as yet sent in a submission please do consider it. This petition has really caught the attention of the committee with unprecedented levels of submissions and we are hoping that it may eventually be debated within the Scottish parliament itself.  

India

I feel like there is some corollary with Semmelweis here . Semmelweis lifted the lid on the iatrogenic nature of 'childbed fever' but he was ostracised by the medical community. Perhaps we can think of Semmelweis when we go with our letters.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2015/01/12/375663920/the-doctor-who-championed-hand-washing-and-saved-women-s-lives?t=1541073795088

Caspur

Hi All,

This is an exert from a program broadcast on BBC Radio 4 in the UK. The program is All in the Mind and the topic being discussed is antidepressant withdrawal. Professor John Read is the co-author of a recent paper published on withdrawal, included in the thread above (Davies and Read 2018 - http://prescribeddrug.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Davies-Read.pdf ).
He does a very good job of explaining the issue and the goals of the UK campaign to get better recognition and proper guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of drug withdrawal.
Cheers
Caspur