Shane88L

Shane88L: anhedonia/depression from withdrawing from olanzapine / Zyprexa

Shane88L

Hi Hayduke,

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. I've decided to simply keep away from all medications, just to be safe.

It may simply be something psychosomatic, brought on by stress or related to the withdrawals, so I'm trying to make some more small changes in my lifestyle to attempt to remedy the allergic type symptoms.

Update on Negative Symptoms (I will write the positive things in a future post):

Well, I may as well be honest about some of the negative things I am facing on the road to recovery, so... Along with the constant throat itch I have daily, I also experience;

"Hot flashes", or whatever they are, happening very frequently now, every 5-10mns, I get waves of shiver-like hot/cold sensations running up and down my entire body, feeling like someone pouring hot/cold water over me, but not having the same intensity sensory wise...

I wake up dizzy and very light-headed every morning, and there are "pins and needles" like sensations in my hands, feet and top of my head for about 30mns after getting out of bed. It is as if I don't get enough oxygen to my brain when I sleep, but when I mentioned this to my wife, she told me that I seem to sleep well.

I would like to say that these symptoms are anxiety related, but I never had this before taking that medication, even though I was anxious then also, so it must be physiological - something to do with the nervous system.

It really does seem to take a very long time to heal!

My heart seems to pound rather heavily in my chest, no matter whether I rest or do exercise. Maybe it is due to my body being "stuck" in fight/flight mode...

I am seeing white flashing sparks/stars in my vision (they dance about like electricity in my view), which is quite distracting. Perhaps it is a separate issue not related to withdrawals though...

Tinnitus is there, always in the background and comes alive at night. I've grown more accustomed to it though, so it really is not a big deal.

I am no longer depressed though, and my anxiety is nowhere near the severe level it once was, which is just wonderful.

Healing is slow, but that's fine. I'm feeling good.

Wishing everyone the very best on their road to recovery.

Shane.

Reason for Medication

Anxiety (money problems, future, lack of physical safety, dangerous environment) causing mild insomnia.

Summary    

2010 - Lexapro - (took one tablet (vomiting, tremors, high anxiety) stopped without any issues)

2013 - Cymbalta - (60mg daily for 7 months - cold turkey without any major issues aside from nausea/vomiting, "brain zaps" and dizziness)

2013 - Seroquel - (a low dose for roughly 1 month - weight gain of 20kg, cold turkey because of rapid weight gain without any issues)

2018 - September 4th - (Cymbalta 20mg for two days, stopped due to tremors & anxiety)

2018 - September 9th - (Olanzapine 2.5mg until October 3rd, then 5mg once, then back to 2.5mg once, then took random varying doses every day for a week from 2.5mg up to 5.0mg due to panic caused by the drug, then I attempted withdrawal Cold Turkey (recommenced at lower dose after 4 days of trying to withdraw Cold Turkey - I took 0.625mg every night until I finally successfully stopped cold turkey roughly one week later).

Zans
12 hours ago, Shane88L said:

Hi Hayduke,

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. I've decided to simply keep away from all medications, just to be safe.

It may simply be something psychosomatic, brought on by stress or related to the withdrawals, so I'm trying to make some more small changes in my lifestyle to attempt to remedy the allergic type symptoms.

Update on Negative Symptoms (I will write the positive things in a future post):

Well, I may as well be honest about some of the negative things I am facing on the road to recovery, so... Along with the constant throat itch I have daily, I also experience;

"Hot flashes", or whatever they are, happening very frequently now, every 5-10mns, I get waves of shiver-like hot/cold sensations running up and down my entire body, feeling like someone pouring hot/cold water over me, but not having the same intensity sensory wise...

I wake up dizzy and very light-headed every morning, and there are "pins and needles" like sensations in my hands, feet and top of my head for about 30mns after getting out of bed. It is as if I don't get enough oxygen to my brain when I sleep, but when I mentioned this to my wife, she told me that I seem to sleep well.

I would like to say that these symptoms are anxiety related, but I never had this before taking that medication, even though I was anxious then also, so it must be physiological - something to do with the nervous system.

It really does seem to take a very long time to heal!

My heart seems to pound rather heavily in my chest, no matter whether I rest or do exercise. Maybe it is due to my body being "stuck" in fight/flight mode...

I am seeing white flashing sparks/stars in my vision (they dance about like electricity in my view), which is quite distracting. Perhaps it is a separate issue not related to withdrawals though...

Tinnitus is there, always in the background and comes alive at night. I've grown more accustomed to it though, so it really is not a big deal.

I am no longer depressed though, and my anxiety is nowhere near the severe level it once was, which is just wonderful.

Healing is slow, but that's fine. I'm feeling good.

Wishing everyone the very best on their road to recovery.

Shane.

Hey man,

glad to hear you're moving forward albeit not as fast as you'd like to. It might be unpopular opinion but I think it's "awesome" you're dominated by physical symptoms vs mental. Personally I'd take pains, temperature changes, itches, etc over ahedonia, impending doom, agorophobia anytime.

Friendly advice if you can afford walk as much as comfortably possible. It is not neccesserily exercise itself but being a lot outside does wonders for nervous system.

Keep on truckin!

Paroxetin 20mg, Lexatonil 3mg - 5 pills total in December 2019 - CT.

Coaxil12.5mg, Fluanxol 1mg, Olanzapine 5mg, Bromazepam 3mg, Mirtazapine 30mg, Relanium injections, Zolpidem 10mg  full January - March 2019. CT all.

Finlepsin 1/4, Olanzapine 2.5mg, Relanium 5mg, Brintellix 20mg, Imovan mid April - early May 2019. CT all.

Brintellix 10mg 2019 May

Brintellix 5mg June - July

Brintellix 5mg August, 4.5mg September 7th - 4.6mg - 5mg ; November 21st - 4.8g December 5th - 4.6mg December 19th - 4.4mg January 3th - 4.2mg 17th - 4mg

Shane88L

Hi Zans,

Thanks very much for the kind words and advice. Very much appreciated!

Actually, I could do with more time among nature...

All the best!

Shane.

Reason for Medication

Anxiety (money problems, future, lack of physical safety, dangerous environment) causing mild insomnia.

Summary    

2010 - Lexapro - (took one tablet (vomiting, tremors, high anxiety) stopped without any issues)

2013 - Cymbalta - (60mg daily for 7 months - cold turkey without any major issues aside from nausea/vomiting, "brain zaps" and dizziness)

2013 - Seroquel - (a low dose for roughly 1 month - weight gain of 20kg, cold turkey because of rapid weight gain without any issues)

2018 - September 4th - (Cymbalta 20mg for two days, stopped due to tremors & anxiety)

2018 - September 9th - (Olanzapine 2.5mg until October 3rd, then 5mg once, then back to 2.5mg once, then took random varying doses every day for a week from 2.5mg up to 5.0mg due to panic caused by the drug, then I attempted withdrawal Cold Turkey (recommenced at lower dose after 4 days of trying to withdraw Cold Turkey - I took 0.625mg every night until I finally successfully stopped cold turkey roughly one week later).

Snorky
4 hours ago, Zans said:

Hey man,

glad to hear you're moving forward albeit not as fast as you'd like to. It might be unpopular opinion but I think it's "awesome" you're dominated by physical symptoms vs mental. Personally I'd take pains, temperature changes, itches, etc over ahedonia, impending doom, agorophobia anytime.

Friendly advice if you can afford walk as much as comfortably possible. It is not neccesserily exercise itself but being a lot outside does wonders for nervous system.

Keep on truckin!

Hi Z

Couldn’t agree more re psychological v physical symptoms. I’m 5 months following CT amitriptyline. For the last few months, the depression, restlessness and anhedonia type symptoms completely trump the Parkinson’s like tremors, and nerve pains. I can also just about live with the mental confusion and anguish.

But the other stuff- utterly unbearable. Unfortunately for me these are deteriorating at a rate of knots. Also find all the posts advocating activities and distractions to be naive, since the anhedonia prevents that😡😡😡

God bless everyone.

Cymbalta 2007

Lyrica 2010

Venlafaxine 2010-2018

Amitriptyline October 2018-2019. (25, 50, 75, 100, 75, 50, 25)

CT 10 Sept 2019

Reinstate amitriptyline 5 mg 29 Oct 2019

Reinstate amitriptyline 2.5mg 19 Nov 2019

CT 24  Nov 2019

Vitamin D 16 Dec and Promethazine 25mg 16 Dec (one month only)

hayduke

Hey @Shane88L

The hot flushes and body temperature dysregulation are awful.  I'm at the stage where I need aircon in the Australian summer or I'll have a lot of trouble.  To say the least this drug isn't suitable for this climate and I was never warned.  The c**ts know it's all getting hotter too.  I really hope these symptoms abate but I'm not expecting that to be soon.

The hot flushes come with things as simple as a cup of chamomile or green tea, but yeah familiar from limbic system/fight or flight being set off too.

There's a thread here: 

Cheers

*** I am not a health professional - your actions are your own ***

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

10mg olanzapine 2003-06.  3mg risperidone 2006-2014 gave slight weight loss but mediocre sleep.  Abrupt x-taper to try aripiprazole Dec 2014 increasingly restless (Freddy the blind man could've seen that coming, shame about the pdoc) then back onto 10mg olanzapine after 3 weeks.

Round 1:  2015 10 -> 7 1/2 -> 6 2/3 -> 5mg olanzapine.   Hadn't researched, just decided to try it myself with pill cutter.  Easy enough.  Next cut to 3 1/3mg for 2 weeks had me struggling to function.  Reverted to 5mg, thought that was as far as I could go.

Round 2:  Given Breggin to read, found SA.  Taper from 5 to 2.5mg over five months.  Titrate liquid suspension using Rhi's method.  Cuts and holds all done by feel.  All samples at start of month in mg:

2018:  Feb 5.0 | Mar 4.5 | Apr 4.25 | May 3.7 | Jun 3.3 | Jul 3.1 | Aug 2.9 | Sep 2.5 and six month hold

Round 3:  2.5mg and below.  EMDR work unearthed and resolved root trauma at around 2.1mg

2019:  Jan 2.5 | Feb 2.3 | Mar 2.215 / EMDR / Apr 1.976 | May 1.875 | Jun 1.825 | Jul 1.625 | Aug 1.525 | Sep 1.46 | Oct 1.3 | Nov 1.225 | Dec 1.25

2020:  Jan 1.214 | Feb 1.1 | Mar 1.0 🙂 | Apr 0.88 | May 0.82 | June 0.74 | July 0.69 | Aug 0.61 | Sep 0.59 | Oct 0.525

‘If you think you’re enlightened, spend a week with your family.’  -- Ram Dass

Shane88L

Update time!

Coming up to 2 years since cold turkey from Zyprexa.

Feeling so much better. Everything is getting much easier than it once was. 

I'll keep updating in the future. 

Time is the great healer.

Love to you all - please stay strong during the misery of withdrawals. It gets easier, eventually.

Reason for Medication

Summary    

ChessieCat

Thank you for updating us.  We love hearing about improvements.

Q:  What symptoms are you still experiencing?

Q:  Have they reduced in severity?

Being very patient.  I'll get there - slowly.  ETA mid 2021

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft/sertraline; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)

Began tapering Oct 2015  Current from 12 Sept 2020:  Pristiq 0.625 mg (compounded)

My tapering program

My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

Shane88L

Hi,

I have some mild hot flushes through my body from time to time, but nothing severe. Some anxiety from time to time, but everything is so much easier to tolerate.
Changed my diet, exercising regularly, enjoying life. Senses are beginning to re-awaken it seems.

Shane.

Reason for Medication

Summary    

Glosmom

Thanks for coming back with an update @Shane88L!  It is always wonderful to hear from people who are continuing to do well.  Very happy to hear that you are enjoying life.   Best wishes to you for continued good health! Glosmom

2016 - Oct -Daughter started Risperdal (for steroid induced psychosis that never went away after stopping prednisone)

Nov - dose increases stopped at 1.5mg in Dec

2017 - Jan- weaned from 1.5 to 1.0 in 2 weeks then 1.0 to .5 in two weeks and then off. Feb. 3 weeks of increased psychosis, pacing, insomnia, other awful symptoms so late Feb  - Back on 1.5 mg Risperdal. May  - decrease to 1.25mg, two weeks later 1.0mg - symptoms started again. June - held steady at 1.25mg for 6 weeks and switched to liquid (3 ml syringe). July - started 10% taper every 3 weeks, October -  .8 mg, December - .7 mg .

2018 -Jan- 0.65 mg,  Feb- 0.59,  Mar-0.50, late April - .40mg, July- .36 mg, Aug - switched from 3 mL syringe to 1 mL syringe for more accuracy (her dad and i were not sure we were giving her the same dose when in between the 'dashes' on the 3 mL syringe.) Aug -.30 mg (3mL syr)/.44 mg (1 mL syr) difference due to med in the tip of both syringes). Sept- .28 mg (3mL syr)/.42 mg (1 mL syr). Oct - .16 mg (3 mL syr)/.30 mg (1 mL syr). Nov.- .06mg (3mL syr)/.20 mg (1mLsyr). Dec. - tip only/unmeasurable (3mL syr)/.10 mg (1mLsyr)

2019- Jan -.06 mg (1 mL syr), Feb- .025 mg (1 mL syr), Feb 27, 2019 - jumped to zero!!

hayduke

Great to hear things are on the up @Shane88L!

The more of us that get clear of this muck the better.

Cheers

*** I am not a health professional - your actions are your own ***

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

10mg olanzapine 2003-06.  3mg risperidone 2006-2014 gave slight weight loss but mediocre sleep.  Abrupt x-taper to try aripiprazole Dec 2014 increasingly restless (Freddy the blind man could've seen that coming, shame about the pdoc) then back onto 10mg olanzapine after 3 weeks.

Round 1:  2015 10 -> 7 1/2 -> 6 2/3 -> 5mg olanzapine.   Hadn't researched, just decided to try it myself with pill cutter.  Easy enough.  Next cut to 3 1/3mg for 2 weeks had me struggling to function.  Reverted to 5mg, thought that was as far as I could go.

Round 2:  Given Breggin to read, found SA.  Taper from 5 to 2.5mg over five months.  Titrate liquid suspension using Rhi's method.  Cuts and holds all done by feel.  All samples at start of month in mg:

2018:  Feb 5.0 | Mar 4.5 | Apr 4.25 | May 3.7 | Jun 3.3 | Jul 3.1 | Aug 2.9 | Sep 2.5 and six month hold

Round 3:  2.5mg and below.  EMDR work unearthed and resolved root trauma at around 2.1mg

2019:  Jan 2.5 | Feb 2.3 | Mar 2.215 / EMDR / Apr 1.976 | May 1.875 | Jun 1.825 | Jul 1.625 | Aug 1.525 | Sep 1.46 | Oct 1.3 | Nov 1.225 | Dec 1.25

2020:  Jan 1.214 | Feb 1.1 | Mar 1.0 🙂 | Apr 0.88 | May 0.82 | June 0.74 | July 0.69 | Aug 0.61 | Sep 0.59 | Oct 0.525

‘If you think you’re enlightened, spend a week with your family.’  -- Ram Dass