Cnick31: first 9 months free of Effexor

Cnick91

Hello all,

I am a 27 year old male that unfortunately fell into the vicious SSRI/SNRI cycle about 7 years ago. Thinking back, what a blurr it has been.  Not feeling like myself on or off medication, I’ve made little progress on personal development through the foundational years a 20 something year old is suppose to go through. I currently am not working, moved back home with my father, still have yet to finish college, not many friends or connections i.e. networking etc. . . I feel like these drugs have taken a lot from me. I originally got on the meds for some social anxiety I have experienced basically my entire life. My anxiety could stem from undiagnosed autism as I do fit some of the criteria to be on the spectrum. Then again everyone has some trait they evaluate autism on. After all, we are human. Anyways, over the last 7 years I have been on citalopram, escitalopram, sertraline, possibly fluoxetine (not sure on that one), and most recently venlafaxine. 

I took venlafaxine for about 1.5 years at 150mg before I started what I consider a slow taper. I’m not sure exactly how long the taper took, but I’m guessing about 7-8 months. I understand that’s not slow for a lot of you on this forum, but that’s what I was comfortable with. I am now almost 9 months venlafaxine free and it has not been easy that’s for certain. Extreme brain fog, fatigue, head pressure, feeling off balance, information processing issues, reading comprehension issues, problems staying focused on tasks, anxiety, disorganized thoughts, reduced vocabulary, and other issues. The ones I listed seem to affect me the most on any given day. 

Progress has been very slow, but I do believe I am making some headway. The last three weeks I have been mega dosing a highly concentrated liquid fish oil and that seems to clear up some of the issues I listed above. I should also mention that for the past 2 years I have been in the gym for 2 hours 5 days a week. Staying active does help clear symptoms but unfortunately they are short lived. I also eat lots of vegetables and low glycemic index fruits daily. Overall I have a pretty well balanced diet. 

I feel like these drugs have stole so much from me; missed opportunities, loss of almost all interests, lost girlfriends because I wasn’t emotionally available on these drugs. . . It just hasn’t been fun, let’s put in that way.  Now I’m a 27 year old with basically no life experience and a lot of catching up to do. So I’m hoping these ugly days of SSRI/SNRI use and crazy withdrawals will all be a distant memory sometime soon!!! 

Before I go, I’m just curious how we can tell for certain that we are experiencing withdrawals from medication and it’s not just symptoms of depression. I’m 100% positive I didn’t have the symptoms we all experience prior to antidepressants so there is that evidence. But can anyone point me to some studies that have been done? I’m convinced this is the aftermath of the drugs but nearly all medical professionals will tell you otherwise. I even know some nurses that have used these drugs and got off them with little to no problems. So when I tell them how I feel, they just presume I am depressed or have some other psychiatric issue going on. I am a premed student by the way, so I do have some connections in the field of medicine. I have yet to  have one medical professional agree with me about the meds causing these issues.

Citalopram: 2011

Sertraline February: 2013-November 2013

Escitalopram January: 2014-August 2014

Escitalopram November: 2014-January 2016

Venlafaxine: April 2016-January 2018 (8 month taper included)

• ChessieCat changed the title to Cnick31: first 9 months free of Effexor
  • Administrator

Welcome, cnick.

I'm very sorry you were caught up in this drug spiral.

On 10/4/2018 at 8:40 PM, Cnick91 said:

I am now almost 9 months venlafaxine free and it has not been easy that’s for certain. Extreme brain fog, fatigue, head pressure, feeling off balance, information processing issues, reading comprehension issues, problems staying focused on tasks, anxiety, disorganized thoughts, reduced vocabulary, and other issues. The ones I listed seem to affect me the most on any given day. 

Good to hear you've found fish oil to be a help. Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. You may wish to add magnesium to your fish oil. Try a little bit first to see how it affects you.

It also sounds like you are going through the natural course of recovery from going off antidepressants, which can be agonizingly slow and frustrating, taking many months.

About the only thing we can suggest that would help is a very small reinstatement of Effexor, say 6 beads from a capsule. Even this tiny amount might reduce your remaining symptoms. You'd take this for some months, allowing your nervous system to repair itself, then taper off very slowly.

Or, you can continue to support your nervous system as you have, with healthy living. You'll need to decide if your severity of symptoms warrants taking a bit of Effexor. In the meantime, please assume your nervous system is very sensitive and protect it from stress.

How's your sleep?

As for distinguishing whether you have "relapse" or withdrawal -- your symptoms are classic for withdrawal syndrome, which we know from the case histories we've collected can last a very long time, much longer than doctors believe.

Your regrets over lost time and what you cannot do relative to your peers is understandable. However, you need to see yourself as someone who is recuperating and relieve yourself of shame, guilt, self-blame because of drug injury. See Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms and other topics here

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Just in case you missed the last line of Alto's post above:

Please create your drug signature.  Keep it simple - no symptoms or diagnoses just:

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and ALL drugs

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Altostrata, I don’t have to many  issue with sleep anymore. At the begining of WD I wasn’t sleeping well. I do suffer from fatigue during the day which seems to lift at night? Since taking fish oil with 1500mg EPA and 1100mg DHA 2-3 times daily I have been feeling much better overall. I want to try and get back into school full time this winter, but I’m just unsure if my brain will be able to function in an academic setting. I have learned by now that the good feelings we experience during recovery leave just as fast as they came (windows and waves). 

• Administrator

Would you say that over the last 6 months you have had very gradual improvement?

If I were you, I'd take a light load of classes, maybe one or two to start. Getting some stimulation -- but not too much -- helps the nervous system rebuild. You will be surprised that you can do more than you think.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yes symptoms have been improving very gradually. But lately I have been feeling like I want to cry at times due to the mounting pressures of making a future for myself (career wise). I can go from being in an alright state to a very dark place in the coarse of a couple hours.

Hi Cnick,

I hear you there. It's incredibly disorienting to come off of the meds and realise that you now need to figure out what to do with yourself. I have been on the drugs since my teens, been withdrawing for 2 years, and had to move back in with family. It is like waking up from a nightmare. But also like waking up from a nightmare, I can be like "wow, I'm glad to have escaped". We're still young. About wanting professionals to understand, I'm currently of the thought that it might be a waste of energy. (Maybe just because I lack energy now) Either way, now I just seek out people who actually get it, and I find those interactions to be much more real and helpful. The only people who I continue trying to make understand how much the drugs have injured me are my family and very close friends because they're worth the time and effort that it takes. 

With love,

Marmot

2004: Clonazepam and Celexa. 2005 - 2006: Effexor, then increased to high dose, then switched to Valproate and Seroquel. 2007: Wellbutrin + Strattera + Celexa. 2007 - 2008: Wellbutrin + Adderall + Paxil. 2008 - 2012: Wellbutrin + occasional SSRIs when I had worsened "depression", which happened around 4 times, usually after CT of WB. 2012 - 2014: WB + Sertraline, then WB + Pristiq (awful W/D) then WB + rTMS, then ketamine. 2014 - 2016: Wellbutrin 200 mg + Abilify 4 mg + Adderall 20-40 mg + Cipralex 20 mg. Oct 2016: "Tapered" Cipralex, felt outrageously anxious, irritable. Dec 2016: "Tapered" Adderall, then felt depressed, hopeless, fatigued.  Feb 6 2017: reinstated 20 mg Adderall. Mar 2017: switched to Vyvanse, upped to 30 mg. May - Aug 2017: "Tapered" Vyvanse + Abilify to zero. Oct 25, 2017: Wellbutrin from 200 to 100 mg. Sep 10, 2018:  Wellbutrin from 90 to 60 mg. Oct 29, 2018: WB from 60 to 50 mg. Dec 19, 2018: WB from 50 to 45 mg. Apr 15, 2019: WB 41 mg. May 14, 2019: WB 37 mg. Jun 8, 2019: WB 33 mg. Jul 22: WB 30 mg, then down by around 10% per month. Aug 2020: 0

Working hard to take my life back. Anything I say here is as a friend or peer supporter; it is not medical advice.

Hello Marmot,

It sounds like we are close in age. Yes, it’s very confusing and disturbing when you come off the meds. I would imagine even more so for people like us that started using them at a younger age. I think what I am obsessing about most right now is what I’m going to do with my life to gain independence again. Obviously for me it’s going to be getting back into university. I live in the Pacific Northwest where it seems everyone works for a big tech company making at least 150k a year. It’s pretty disheartening seeing my peers careers take off, but I try to reassure myself that I will get there at some point. I quickly read over your history, but I am stilll unclear if your on meds currently. If not, how long have you been completely med free? Do you feel like you have been healing and making improvements?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else experience dementia like symptoms after using SSRI/SNRI? Thinking back, it seems like during the 7 years that I took these medications, memories have been nothing but a blurr. I have been off all medications for about 10 months now and things do seem to be gradually clearing up in my head. My daily routine includes, mega dosing liquid fish oil, taking CoQ10, a minimum of 60 minutes of excercise- both aerobic and anabolic, and eating lots of raw fruits and vegitables. Some of the symptoms I have experienced closely related to dementia over the past years include,

-brain fog

-anxiety

-loneliness

-depression

-apathy

-difficulty following story lines

-focus

-name recall

-taking longer to complete tasks

-reading

-finding words to use while speaking

-difficulty with directions

Also it’s important to note that I am a 27 year old male. These symptoms listed above have greatly  impacted my daily life and caused me to lose just about everything. I’m hoping I keep making progress on the symptoms listed above so that I can enroll back into college and get my life going again. Obviously, diseases such as Alzheimer’s are degenerative meaning symptoms progressively get worse. My hope is that I don’t have this disease at such a a young age and will continue to heal with time.

Does anyone else experience the symptoms I listed above?

• Moderator Emeritus

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2018 at 12:35 AM, Cnick91 said:

Hello Marmot,

It sounds like we are close in age. Yes, it’s very confusing and disturbing when you come off the meds. I would imagine even more so for people like us that started using them at a younger age. I think what I am obsessing about most right now is what I’m going to do with my life to gain independence again. Obviously for me it’s going to be getting back into university. I live in the Pacific Northwest where it seems everyone works for a big tech company making at least 150k a year. It’s pretty disheartening seeing my peers careers take off, but I try to reassure myself that I will get there at some point. I quickly read over your history, but I am still unclear if your on meds currently. If not, how long have you been completely med free? Do you feel like you have been healing and making improvements?

Hey Cnick,

Ya, it's incredible how these things can disrupt our entire lives. It seems like what you're struggling with most is how to become independent financially? It must be hard to see that gap between your situation and that of the people around you. By the way, what is it like looking back at the time you were on meds? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what made you want to start tapering the venlafaxine in 2017?

I'll try to update my thread today. I only write here every few months, but I'm now taking around 60 mg of Wellbutrin. Ya, healing is happening - it feels like I am coming back to life but in a very confusing, tired and painful way. I'm quite sure now that I missed something growing up due to the the drug numbing and the disease model. I guess this withdrawal is also an opportunity to grow in a new direction and with more awareness. 

Peace,

Marmot

2004: Clonazepam and Celexa. 2005 - 2006: Effexor, then increased to high dose, then switched to Valproate and Seroquel. 2007: Wellbutrin + Strattera + Celexa. 2007 - 2008: Wellbutrin + Adderall + Paxil. 2008 - 2012: Wellbutrin + occasional SSRIs when I had worsened "depression", which happened around 4 times, usually after CT of WB. 2012 - 2014: WB + Sertraline, then WB + Pristiq (awful W/D) then WB + rTMS, then ketamine. 2014 - 2016: Wellbutrin 200 mg + Abilify 4 mg + Adderall 20-40 mg + Cipralex 20 mg. Oct 2016: "Tapered" Cipralex, felt outrageously anxious, irritable. Dec 2016: "Tapered" Adderall, then felt depressed, hopeless, fatigued.  Feb 6 2017: reinstated 20 mg Adderall. Mar 2017: switched to Vyvanse, upped to 30 mg. May - Aug 2017: "Tapered" Vyvanse + Abilify to zero. Oct 25, 2017: Wellbutrin from 200 to 100 mg. Sep 10, 2018:  Wellbutrin from 90 to 60 mg. Oct 29, 2018: WB from 60 to 50 mg. Dec 19, 2018: WB from 50 to 45 mg. Apr 15, 2019: WB 41 mg. May 14, 2019: WB 37 mg. Jun 8, 2019: WB 33 mg. Jul 22: WB 30 mg, then down by around 10% per month. Aug 2020: 0

Working hard to take my life back. Anything I say here is as a friend or peer supporter; it is not medical advice.

About the cognitive withdrawal effects - Those are common around here. Are you noticing any improvement?

Hi Cnick91, you are not alone in having cognitive and memory issue as main symptoms. Im having these as well. Male 26 here. Just want to let you know you are not alone in this journey, don't give up and just focus what you want to acvhieve in your career! To be able to recover or not is not binary, but the time we waste worrying and regreting in our youth, 0% chance we can get them back :)

Prozac 10 mg December 2016

Prozac 20 mg January 2017 - October 2017

Prozac 20 mg March 2018 - April 2018

• 2 months later...

Good evening,

I hope 2019 is starting off on a positive note and you all make great strides in healing throughout this year. As for myself, I have noticed a reduction in the amount of brain fog and head pressure by about half of what I was experiencing 2 months ago. I consider that a success for now, I just hope my progression is foward from here. I have reduced my fish oil intake from 7500mg of dha/epa to 2500mg per day. It was getting too expensive to buy 70 dollar 8 ounce bottles of fish oil every week and a half. I’m also taking 400mg of Magnesium Glycinate as well as Ashwaganda root extract. Those three things seem to take the edge off. I still have disassociation and many other cognitive issues. One moment I will feel hopeless and have a dull outlook on life, then something clicks and I remind myself that in due time my life will come back together. My CNS is just so fragile right now. Everyday situations are almost too much for my nerves to handle right now. But I’m healing which is something to look forward too. I think I’m going to start working out using the HIIT method vs anerobic weight lifting I have been doing for the past 2 1/2 years. I have been doing some research on high intensity interval training and the research seems to point in the direction of being more benificial for brain re-mapping or architectural changes over traditional work out methods. I’m hoping for substantial healing for all of us this year. Stay positive everyone!

• Moderator Emeritus
55 minutes ago, Cnick91 said:

Ashwaganda root extract.

Please be aware that some members have had issues with ashwagandha.  From:  ashwagandha-herb-for-anxiety-stress-and-toxic-overload

On 7/31/2013 at 9:19 PM, GiaK said:

I used to take ashwaganda daily...it's one of many supplements that went south on me...it's now agitating and very unpleasant...just FYI

12 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Please be aware that some members have had issues with ashwagandha.  From:  ashwagandha-herb-for-anxiety-stress-and-toxic-overload

Hey thanks for the heads up. And to be honest that is something I am afraid of. I have a great deal of anxiety on how different compounds affect the brain/nervous system and rightfully so. I’m just experimenting lightly with it. Has anybody tried the detox route for healing. This sub on YouTube “The Detox Dudes” has claimed major transformations in his mental state from detoxing using a host of different methods. Like this guys life is all about detoxing. Im wondering if it’s a scam or if detoxing the body is even real. According to western medicine you can’t deliberately detox your body using colonics, taking binders, taking Turpin oil, etc. With the western way of thinking, detox takes place in the organs, primarily from the kidneys and liver.

• Moderator Emeritus

Detoxing can be stressful on the CNS during withdrawal.

There are many existing topics on this site.  I like to use google and add  survivingantidepressants.org to my search term.  So do a search for survivingantidepressants.org detox

When we take a psychiatric drug, we are adding chemical/s to the brain.  The brain then has to change to adapt to getting the chemical/s.  It might have to change something to do with A and then once that change has been made it affects B so another change has to be made and so on down the line.  It is a chain reaction, a domino effect.  That's why it's possible to experience such a vast array of withdrawal symptoms, and they can change, and be of different intensity.

The same thing happens when we take the drug away.

I've had two completely different experiences.  I CTed citalopram and felt great for a few months then got hit with the withdrawal flu and was bedridden for 2.5 weeks and lost 8kgs.  It wasn't until I joined SA that I made the connection that it was withdrawal.  I ended up on Pristiq.

I reduced my Pristiq from 100mg to 50mg and for 2 weeks I experienced severe cog fog, and even walking took my whole concentration.  I joined SA but didn't updose as suggested because I was trying, through the brain fog, to learn about what was happening.  A couple of days after joining I got to the stage that I was unable to type.  Having been a typist for 40+ years I knew that something was really wrong.  I was very thankful for SA's suggestion.  I went and took extra Pristiq.  Astoundingly after only about 4 hours I was able to type again and the brain fog was lifting.  Because I had a benchmark I knew that it was because of the drug. 

On 12/4/2015 at 2:41 AM, apace41 said:

Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are trying to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were trying to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and trying to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while life is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made.  

AND

On 8/31/2011 at 5:28 AM, Rhiannon said:

When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

Hey Cnick, I highly relate to your situation. I have pretty much all the symptoms you listed above, and have been off Lexapro for almost 10 months. Im also a young male (23) and had to go through dental school while suffering from antidepressants and antidepressant withdrawal. Those 5 years seemed almost like a dream (not a very good one lol). Ive also been slowly improving. Apart from following the advice the moderators give, maybe you could consider having a blood test to check your hormones (mainly thyroid and testosterone) to rule them out. Best of luck

Paxil (20mg): Nov. 2012 - June 2014. CT of paxil. Severe psyhological symptoms. Reinstatement of Paxil (20mg): September 2014. Several attempts (4 or 5) of withdrawal, failing each time (due to increased symptoms:hypersensitivity to sounds, panic, anxiety) and reinstating back to 20mg. Last reinstatement was in January 2016. Symptoms still present. Stopped paxil cold turkey by the end of January, and switched to Citalopram (30mg)

Citalopram (30mg): Feb 1st 2016 - March 17 2016. CT off Citalopram.

Escitalopram (10mg): March 18 2016 - April 14 2016

Escitalopram (15mg): April 15 2016 - on going. Symptoms: Anxiety, Panic, Hypersensitivity to sounds, Tinnitus, Anhedonia.

On 1/4/2019 at 9:13 PM, Clatterbust said:

Hey Cnick, I highly relate to your situation. I have pretty much all the symptoms you listed above, and have been off Lexapro for almost 10 months. Im also a young male (23) and had to go through dental school while suffering from antidepressants and antidepressant withdrawal. Those 5 years seemed almost like a dream (not a very good one lol). Ive also been slowly improving. Apart from following the advice the moderators give, maybe you could consider having a blood test to check your hormones (mainly thyroid and testosterone) to rule them out. Best of luck

Hey, you must be a tough individual if you’ve made it through dental school suffering from the meds side effects/withdrawals. I sincerely congratulate you on completion. It’s been almost unbearable for me to do acedemics while in this state. I will get there at some point though, I’m making progress. I know exactly the dream state you speak of. It’s how my life has been for some time now. Thanks for the advice about the blood panel. I actually do have an appointment to get my testosterone levels checked. Best of luck to you aswell.

Edited by ChessieCat
requoted and removed name

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Cnick91 said:

I actually do have an appointment to get my testosterone levels checked.

Please do your research about side effects etc.  We have other members who have experienced issues getting testosterone shots during withdrawal.  See daveb

If you search testosterone in the Intro Forum you may be able to find posts by members.  You can start with the members in this topic:

testosterone-therapy

Remember to only make one change at a timeKeep it Simple, Slow and Stable

And:

Keep Notes on Paper

Rate Symptoms Daily to Check Patterns and Progress

On 1/4/2019 at 1:37 PM, ChessieCat said:

Please do your research about side effects etc.  We have other members who have experienced issues getting testosterone shots during withdrawal.  See daveb

If you search testosterone in the Intro Forum you may be able to find posts by members.  You can start with the members in this topic:

testosterone-therapy

And:

Keep Notes on Paper

Good afternoon  ChessieCat,

Im certainly weighing my options before I jump into anything, especially something as significant as testosterone injections. Thanks for your hard work as a moderator as it is most certainly appreciated around SA.

The last week has been tough for me wow. I’ve been really questioning if I will ever feel normal again. I was never a superstar academically, but I was average to slightly above average. I may have tried harder and spent more time on assignments to score those high marks, but nonetheless fully capable. I’ve never had my IQ checked and not sure it’s necessary. What disturbs me the most is the fact that I feel intellectually disabled post meds. And actually these cognitive issues first started to arise shortly after my first interaction with SSRI/SNRI. I could probably do a remedial job like a delivery driver or janitor but that tears me to pieces because I was once capable of so much more. I haven’t been able to continue my college education or work for sometime. I volunteer one day a week at the local hospital. Would it be fair to say that SSRI/SNRI have the ability to reduce ones IQ?

On 1/4/2019 at 1:37 PM, ChessieCat said:

testosterone-therapy

And:

Keep Notes on Paper

3 hours ago, Cnick91 said:

Good afternoon  ChessieCat,

Im certainly weighing my options before I jump into anything, especially something as significant as testosterone injections. Thanks for your hard work as a moderator as it is most certainly appreciated around SA.

The last week has been tough for me wow. I’ve been really questioning if I will ever feel normal again. I was never a superstar academically, but I was average to slightly above average. I may have tried harder and spent more time on assignments to score those high marks, but nonetheless fully capable. I’ve never had my IQ checked and not sure it’s necessary. What disturbs me the most is the fact that I feel intellectually disabled post meds. And actually these cognitive issues first started to arise shortly after my first interaction with SSRI/SNRI. I could probably do a remedial job like a delivery driver or janitor but that tears me to pieces because I was once capable of so much more. I haven’t been able to continue my college education or work for sometime. I volunteer one day a week at the local hospital. Would it be fair to say that SSRI/SNRI have the ability to reduce ones IQ?

On the aforementioned topic of cognitive issues, I do realize it’s a recurrent theme around here, but what’s scary is that I have been off all meds for a year now. Looking back, sure my cognition has improved, but not nearly enough to be successfully contributing to society on a daily basis. To be honest I’m scared. 

@ChessieCat

23 minutes ago, Cnick91 said:

En el tema mencionado anteriormente de problemas cognitivos, me doy cuenta de que es un tema recurrente por aquí, pero lo que me asusta es que he estado sin medicamentos por un año. Mirando hacia atrás, estoy seguro de que mi conocimiento ha mejorado, pero no lo suficiente como para contribuir con éxito a la sociedad a diario. Para ser honesto, tengo miedo. 

Hello! I'm a bit afraid to read what happens to you, I've been reducing the amount of 150mg to 57mg of effexor for 9 months, I feel that my cognitive problems caused by WD are real, but not serious, my short-term memory is affected, ability to understand, think clearly and quickly ... I do not want to imagine how this will be with 0mg. I am sure that it will be better even if months have to pass and the mind must enter again. Much encouragement, if you want to talk with me

Mayo 2018: Venlafaxina 150 mg y toma 64mg Diciembre 2018: Venlafaxina xr 56mg 

Diciembre de 2018: Venlafaxina xr 58mg Enero de 2019: Venlafaxina xr 56mg

Febrero 2019: Venlafaxina xr 37,5 mg + 40 perlas Mayo 2019: Venlafaxina xr 37,5 mg + 7 perlas Mayo 2019: Venlafaxina xr 37,5mg

Octubre 2019: venlafaxina xr 18mg aprox.

Enero 2020: 50 perlas Febrero 2020: 40 perlasMarzo 2020: 30 perlas 

Abril 2020: 35 perlas (en crisis)

Agosto 2020: 25 perlas, 23 perlas Noviembre: 03/11/2020 26 perlas 05/11/2030 22 perlas, 22/11/2020 24 perlas.Diciembre: 40 perlas (5 días) , vuelvo a 30 perlas.

Quick update...

The last week I have been really focused on mindfulness and meditation. All those years spent drugged up in a psychiatry office, I was never successful with the techniques of total relaxation they tried to teach. As of recent, something has clicked and I’ve been able to find moments of clarity, reduced anxiety, positivity, and hope. I find it nonsensical to  how we can go from extreme suffering and living life in a terrified state to making a 180 degree turn in the coarse of a few days. I guess that’s just part of the healing process or the “windows and waves”. My one wish is that over time I will experience less dramatic “epidsodes” and everything will just kind of smooth out. Of coarse, healthy people have highs and lows in life, but undoubtedly in a much less traumatic way. 

On 13 January 2019 at 1:09 AM, Cnick91 said:

Quick update...

The last week I have been really focused on mindfulness and meditation. All those years spent drugged up in a psychiatry office, I was never successful with the techniques of total relaxation they tried to teach. As of recent, something has clicked and I’ve been able to find moments of clarity, reduced anxiety, positivity, and hope. I find it nonsensical to  how we can go from extreme suffering and living life in a terrified state to making a 180 degree turn in the coarse of a few days. I guess that’s just part of the healing process or the “windows and waves”. My one wish is that over time I will experience less dramatic “epidsodes” and everything will just kind of smooth out. Of coarse, healthy people have highs and lows in life, but undoubtedly in a much less traumatic way. 

😭

Cold turkeyed risperidone (1m.g)and trihexyphenidyl combination drug out of ignorance,In August 2016 after one month use.

Withdrawal symptoms settled at dreamful,disturbing sleep.

Thus introduced to olanzapine for sleep.Started using olanzapine out of ignorance.

Tapering olanzapine 10 m.g from February 2017.

May 2018 :Still suffering dreams,Still tapering olanzapine at 0.625.100ml water+2.5 mg olanzapine. June 2018 22.5ml=0.57mg.July 2018 20ml,August 2018-17.5ml,September 2018-15ml,October 2018 10 ml,December 2018 7 ml, BrassMonkey slide method so far at lower doses.2 nd December cold turkeyed , only to reach minure doses as reinstatement to cutshort endless tapering process.4rth December started 1ml.

Almost no symptoms and sleep is better,So started 0.5 ml from 17-12-2018.

"0"from31-12-18.Re birth happened from 10- 2020,as rejuvenation took whole2019.Completely recovered now.

On 1/9/2019 at 4:15 PM, Alanmane said:

Hello! I'm a bit afraid to read what happens to you, I've been reducing the amount of 150mg to 57mg of effexor for 9 months, I feel that my cognitive problems caused by WD are real, but not serious, my short-term memory is affected, ability to understand, think clearly and quickly ... I do not want to imagine how this will be with 0mg. I am sure that it will be better even if months have to pass and the mind must enter again. Much encouragement, if you want to talk with me

How have you been feeling this week?

Hace 4 horas, Cnick91 dijo:

¿Cómo te ha sentido esta semana?

Thanks for asking. I feel that my mind is tired and it is difficult to concentrate yet I can still function and work successfully. Lack of confidence and not really knowing what will happen along the tapper is the most frightening thing I have lived, on the other hand there are things that go better as my deep sleep, desire to eat stable, ability to be myself ... I still without believing that he will be able to do this and finish healthy.

Mayo 2018: Venlafaxina 150 mg y toma 64mg Diciembre 2018: Venlafaxina xr 56mg 

Diciembre de 2018: Venlafaxina xr 58mg Enero de 2019: Venlafaxina xr 56mg

Febrero 2019: Venlafaxina xr 37,5 mg + 40 perlas Mayo 2019: Venlafaxina xr 37,5 mg + 7 perlas Mayo 2019: Venlafaxina xr 37,5mg

Octubre 2019: venlafaxina xr 18mg aprox.

Enero 2020: 50 perlas Febrero 2020: 40 perlasMarzo 2020: 30 perlas 

Abril 2020: 35 perlas (en crisis)

Agosto 2020: 25 perlas, 23 perlas Noviembre: 03/11/2020 26 perlas 05/11/2030 22 perlas, 22/11/2020 24 perlas.Diciembre: 40 perlas (5 días) , vuelvo a 30 perlas.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

I went to the doctor to get my testosterone checked a couple weeks back. My results came back and it looks like my levels are completely normal. So that’s good and one more thing to rule out. My doctor noted that I have been complaining of this cognitive fog for years now. From what I can recall, the major cognition issues developed shortly after my first run with SSRI’s 7-8 years ago.  Ever since then it’s been a cycle of getting off one med and trying a new one. It seems like every med I would try the cognition issues would get worse and worse. Since breaking that cycle of trying new meds and being a little over a year since my last dose, things have only marginally gotten better. The brain zaps are non existent and vertigo is basically gone but other than that I’m still suffering. My number one complaint would be the dementia like cognitive symptoms. I don’t think a healthy 27 year old should have a hard time remebering why he went to the kitchen or where he put his wallet and keys. Shoot, I have a hard time recalling people’s names I have known for quite a while. My short term memory is shot, I can’t concetrate, I have terrible head pressure, and the list goes on. 

Anyways my doctor seems to think I might have cte also known as Chronic Truamatic Encephalopathy. I did a little digging and not much is known about cte other than they think it’s caused from repeated blows to the head. At this time they unfortunately cannot test for this degenerative disease until the person suffering is deceased. Cte is usually found in people such as NFL football players, but these guys have taken tens of thousands of blows to the head through their career. I have been knocked out cold a couple times, and banged my head pretty good a hand full of times including one time that required stitches. I’m not ruling cte out because so little is known about it, but I would like to think a couple head traumas wouldn’t be enough considering the volume of blows an NFL player takes in any given year. 

Anyways, just thought I would update you all on where I’m at in this mess. I’m still holding my head high and doing the best I can everyday. Is there anyone on this site suffering from similar cognitive issues that’s completly done with their taper? 

Have a good weekend!!

I actually just did a quick search using the key word cognitive and pretty much just answered my own question. Cognitive issues can take a long long time to clear it sounds like. I think I was just letting the anxiety take control once the doctor suggested possible CTE. Sometimes doing extensive research on the internet can be damaging for vulnerable people like use. Yes anything is possible, CTE is a possibility and a scary one at that, but it’s unlikely considering others go through these cognitive issues that were on a SSRI/SNRI.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Recently I have been experimenting with my diet to see if maybe I have a gluten intolerance or possible leaky gut. I’m still a bit skeptical on “leaky gut syndrome” but I’m taking everything into consideration. I have noticed decent cognitive improvement by reducing carbohydrates and eliminating gluten. Maybe I will go all out with the gut healing protocol if I don’t see more improvements in the next few months.  I’ve also started practicing the Wim Hof method which has done wonders so far. If you don’t know who Wim Hof is, I definitely recomend at least seeing what he’s about. His teachings are based off of the idea that all disease is caused by inflammation. With the techniques he instills, based on breathing and extreme cold exposure, many people have seen good results. It sounds too good to be true that breathing and pushing the body in extreme environments would cure illness by the way of reducing inflammation but it is NOT pseudo science. His method has been put to test at major research hospitals. I won’t get into the science of why and how it works, I will leave the research for anyone interested. 

Happy healing everyone and remember healing likely requires a multi faceted approach. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Cnick.  

I'm sorry for all of your troubles.  I'm new here and have been bouncing around reading peoples posts and looking for as much hope as I can get.  I fell across yours and I am wondering how you are doing at this point if you don't mind me asking.  I see that you had said you are having some cognitive improvements and am wondering if this is still continuing?  Also, can you let me know what other symptoms you are still having and If you had any symptoms that have disappeared yet?  

Hope you are feeling better.

Tahnks

1994-2009 benzos from age 20 to 36.  Added Cymbalta 60mg in 2007.

2008-2009 tapered benzos to zero and quit Cymbalta Cold turkey.  WD HELL for two years

2011 started on Lexapro to combat the withdrawal and it worked.  

2015 switched to Prozac as Lexapro was not working as well

2017 quit Prozac cold turkey November and crashed into WD.  Reinstated Prozac In December with no benefit. 

2018 Switched back to Lexapro in January and it took most of the issues away in around 2-3 weeks

2019 In February Lexapro has pooped out and WD feelings back.  Tolerance WD I'm sure.

March 12th Upped my dose to 30 mgs per doctor's advice to see if Tolerance WD goes away but have had worsening sleep issues with limbs jerking and less sleep.

March 17th dropped back down to 20 mgs and had less limb jerking last night but sleep no better.  

April 20th cut to 18mg.            

On 3/18/2019 at 10:17 AM, RandyJames said:

Hi Cnick.  

I'm sorry for all of your troubles.  I'm new here and have been bouncing around reading peoples posts and looking for as much hope as I can get.  I fell across yours and I am wondering how you are doing at this point if you don't mind me asking.  I see that you had said you are having some cognitive improvements and am wondering if this is still continuing?  Also, can you let me know what other symptoms you are still having and If you had any symptoms that have disappeared yet?  

Hope you are feeling better.

Tahnks

Hello Randy,

At this point I am doing okay. I wouldn’t consider myself recovered, but every month seems to get just a little better. The recovery process is slow. Since you are still tapering the drug, a lot of the effects you are enduring are drug induced. The drug is long out of my system now and what I’m dealing with is a sensitive nervous system as an after affect. Anxiety and depression are easily triggered when ones CNS is sensitive as a result of the drugs. Cognitive issues are a result of the spiraling anxiety and depression. Time and keeping thoughts under control are really the only things that will heal the CNS.  I’ve been taking cold showers, breathing, excercising, and mediating which have done wonders controling my thoughts. I know it’s hard to break the cycle but thinking too much about how you will feel in the future is only provoking your anxiety. Live in the moment and with time you will heal.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update...

The last few days I had some symptoms flare up. Mainly cognitive issues and some pretty bad depression. The depression is a little worrisome because I don’t ever recall have dark thoughts like I experienced. I believe this was all triggered because I’m stressed out about some adversities my mother is currently facing as well as the fact that I just decided to start up school full time again. It’s quite demoralizing when my nervous system OVER REACTS to common life stressors like this. This is just more proof that our nervous systems are very fragile during the recovery process. On a positive note, I haven’t had brain fog or head pressure for some time now.  Anyways I hope everyone is making progress and taking care of themselves. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/1/2019 at 1:16 AM, Cnick91 said:

Just a quick update...

The last few days I had some symptoms flare up. Mainly cognitive issues and some pretty bad depression. The depression is a little worrisome because I don’t ever recall have dark thoughts like I experienced. I believe this was all triggered because I’m stressed out about some adversities my mother is currently facing as well as the fact that I just decided to start up school full time again. It’s quite demoralizing when my nervous system OVER REACTS to common life stressors like this. This is just more proof that our nervous systems are very fragile during the recovery process. On a positive note, I haven’t had brain fog or head pressure for some time now.  Anyways I hope everyone is making progress and taking care of themselves. 

Hey @Cnick91, how have you been doing lately? Is your cognitive impairment resolved? I am also supposed to be going to medical school, but might lose all my acceptances due to my serious cognitive impairment and head squeezing which I saw you had. I was wondering what dose you jumped off at, and how your improvement has been?

Clomipramine: 50mg October-December 2016 

Vyvanse: 20mg on most days from December 2016-February 2017, 10mg on most days from February-December 2017, 5-10mg as needed afterward. Stopped Vyvanse April 2018.

Clonazepam: 0.25mg x3 February 2018-April 2018, 0.25mg x2 April-June 2018, 0.25mg x1 June-August 2018, tapered off 0.25mg over the course of 2 weeks.

Escitalopram: 10mg December 2016, 15mg January 2017, 20mg February-December 2017, 30mg January 2018, 40mg February-April; began taper end of April, 15mg mid-June 2018, rushed from 15-0mg from mid-June to late June 2018. Reinstated to 1mg August 2018, then 2mg then 5mg then 10mg over the course of 5 weeks. Decreased from 10mg to 8mg for 2 weeks, then from 8mg to 0mg when Vortioxetine was added. Reinstated within a few days to 2mg (in early November) and then dropped to 1mg in early December.

Vortioxetine: 5mg October-December 2018, tapered off over the course of 10 days after on it. 

December 7, December 2018 - June 22: Escitalopram 1mg.

Current: No psychoactive meds ever again.

Supplements: Mg2+ 600-800mg/day (most comes from HardyNutritionals DENs of which I take 12 capsules a day), 3000mg omega-3 oil, 1000mg vitamin C, tried 20+ other supplements before realizing that they are not effective for a destabilized central nervous system.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cnick, 

How have you been doing?💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.