DanS: ex-Remeron user

DanS

Hello everyone,

I came across this site after reading Alto Strata's article @ BeyondMeds.com. To give you a little background, I'm a 28 year old guy currently living in Austin, TX. I took Remeron for about 5 years at a max dose of 22.5mg, with a couple attempts to quit in-between (which weren't successful!) Luckily, I found a group on Facebook who offered the same tapering instructions you folks recommend, and I have successfully been off for 3 months now. Even though I'm off, the withdrawals are still pretty heavy.

Everything I read in the article sounds correct... glutamatergic disinhibition — anxiety, panic, sleeplessness, irritability, agitation. I check all the boxes. Oh, and my libido is dead! Most frustratingly, I feel like my career is on hold and I have lost a lot of muscle that I worked very hard to achieve due to the side effects of withdrawals. I'm self employed and have zero motivation, focus, or happiness to do my job, which bothers me so much. Normally, I love my job. I "was" exceptional at it. It feels like my memory and cognitive abilities have declined significantly.

I did manage to find a doctor who is very open and never tries to push drugs on me. We've done a lot of blood work, and even some genetic testing. I did make some discoveries... my Vitamin D3 is low (which I know is common!), my body cannot process methylfolate properly, and the most concerning... my DHEA is very high, but my testosterone is low at just 510. Just to be on the safe side, my doctor has ordered an ultrasound of my adrenal glands.

Currently I take Vitamin D3, L-Methylfolate, and Fish Oil, along with some melatonin and cannabis for sleep.

On a positive note, I happen to be a legal marketer (I work with a lot of big shot attorneys) and I recognize the issues we're all facing are bigger than us individually.  I would like to do whatever I can to help.

Hoping my body heals soon so I can get back to being me :)

Took Remeron (Mirtazapine 15mg) for 5 years.

Tapered 10% monthly... finally off 7/18!

Withdrawal symptoms...

Depression, Anxiety, Sexual issues, Sleep Problems, GI Upset, Lack of Energy

• ChessieCat changed the title to DanS: ex-Remeron user
  • Administrator

Welcome, Dan.

How's your sleep now? Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?  Please keep daily notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. Use a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

Just to be on the safe side, please include the supplements, too. Sometimes they can be activating.

You may want to add magnesium supplements, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find it helpful. It can be relaxing. Try a little bit to start to see how it affects you.

PS The cause could definitely use your help!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 6 months later...
  • Administrator

Hi, Dan, how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.