SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Annatomic: taking the power back

Annatomic

I was put on anti depressants many years ago for general depression. I don't remember what they were, or even how I felt particularly. I just remember feeling a lot less. Pretty sure I went off them quite soon for that very reason. In the year 2000 or there about I started having radical panic attacks and generalised anxiety which later spurned the unbearable burden of having to live with agoraphobia. This involves overthinking just about every move i make, certainly every step I take (outside) and has significantly reduced my world, my confidence and my feelings of self worth.

I have been on so many different meds to help me cope, some of which seemed to work initially, or at least get me out of what felt like a crisis situation, and then often tended to work less and less. When that happened, a doc or psychiatrist would switch the meds to something else to see if they would work more effectively. Essentially I felt, and still feel, that the only drugs that seem to help me are the benzo's I take for anxiety and panic. Other than that, I have not noticed a massive or lasting difference to my life but have been too afraid to stop the antidepressants altogether, or if have have tried, was unsuccessful and had to go back up a dose etc.

Discovering this site and the idea of tapering is a massive relief but has also left me feeling quite devastated and angry that I didn't know before. I have been a victim of my own circumstances, have clearly never done enough research, and put too much faith in medical practitioners. 

Meeting my boyfriend who has done large amounts of thorough research on the topic, has reaffirmed my need and desire to get off the meds entirely but in a safe and nurturing way.

I really look forward to hearing what the alternative the possibilities are for me to change this toxic lifestyle into one that gives me the power back.

Strength to all my fellow beings who are in the same boat!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, Annatomic, and welcome to SA.  You have come to the right place to help you.  This site has many knowledgable and sympathetic members and moderators.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  

At Surviving Antidepressants, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at a more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.

Once you have completed your signature, we can give you specific help in tapering the drug(s) you are currently taking.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Annatomic: taking the power back