Anyone join sports group and concentrate on hobby to recover?

Mobc1990

I am working full time and whenever I am free I focus on my hobby which is football or soccer as some call it.I think it helps me bring my mind out of feeling sick.I try to follow all matches on my favourite team and read news about football...I think rather spend my money on hobby’s and career then on mental health.I am trying to forget all about these and lived on

Jan 2009-Mar 2016---Abilify(20,15,10,5mg),Risperidal(3mg,2mg,1mg),Mirtazapine(30mg,15mg)

2 years before:

Mar 2016-Feb 2017---Abilify(5mg,2.5mg)

July 2017-Oct 2017---Olanzapine 15mg

Oct 2017-Nov 2017---Olanzapine 10mg

Nov 2017-Feb 2018---Olanzapine 5mg

Feb 2018-NOW---Olanzapine 2.5mg

For me it's vital to keep pursuing various interests to keep my mind focused elsewhere besides withdrawal. There can be too many interests. The pressure to do too much has kind me to experienced more waves that I could have otherwise avoided.

September 2014 to July 2015 - 20 mg Lexapro, 30mg Mirtazipine

August 2015 to November 2016- 10mg Lexapro, 30 mg Mirtazipine

Nov. 2016 to Nov. 2017 - 10mg Lexapro, 3.75 mg Mirtazipine

Nov. 2017 to Mach 2018 - 5mg/2.5mg Lexapro, 0mg Mirtazipne

Mach 2018 to Dec. 2018 - 0mg Lexapro, 0mg Mirtazipne

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

One hobby that continues to sustain me is gardening. This was key for me during my concussion recovery, and now through withdrawal. 

The chance to plant seeds and see them grow, to grow food for yourself, and to be delighted by the outdoors. It's all been very fulfilling. I notice birds outside, see that squirrels bury fruit in the soil, and nurture worms with compost.

I am interested in also learning to knit as many of my withdrawal symptoms keep me more physically limited. Knitting would be a way to keep my mind humming along and occupy my hands In a productive way.

Apr 2018: Began 10 mg Amitriptyline (for headaches & insomnia from concussion).

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

• 2 weeks later...

I love your take on gardening, composter.

September 2014 to July 2015 - 20 mg Lexapro, 30mg Mirtazipine

August 2015 to November 2016- 10mg Lexapro, 30 mg Mirtazipine

Nov. 2016 to Nov. 2017 - 10mg Lexapro, 3.75 mg Mirtazipine

Nov. 2017 to Mach 2018 - 5mg/2.5mg Lexapro, 0mg Mirtazipne

Mach 2018 to Dec. 2018 - 0mg Lexapro, 0mg Mirtazipne

• 2 months later...

My hobby, although it might be hard to call it a hobby, is playing video games! It really put me in a state of peace, because every time I achieved something it showed me that I can still accomplish things with my brain.

Besides that, I really enjoy the music and background images and special abilities of the main characters. The fact that it is fake, but at the same time it is displayed so realistically using electronic technology makes it magical on another level.  The "fakeness" is all the content in the game, achievements, and superpowers and such but the "realness" is the fact that storymakers made such an amazing story, engineers were able to make it display and work, and musicians made such stunning soundtracks that go with it. It gives me the feeling that "if something so fake is so amazing, and I am real, maybe my life will one day be that amazing or better"

My medications were short-timed and low-dosed, but still affected my life a lot; all this is in 2017.

June 21 - June 28 (inpatient) - 300 mg lithium

June 6 -  July 14 (inpatient then outpatient) - 10 mg zyprexa

July 14 - July 17 (outpatient try taper) - 7.5 mg zyprexa

July 18 - July 21 (outpatient doctor changed) - 10 mg zyprexa

July 21 - July 24 (outpatient doctor said got worse) -  15 mg zyprexa

July 25 - now (quit ct with family supervision) - nothing

I quit ct and was successful, but there were tons of symptoms and without my family support probably impossible. My situation was fortunate, and maybe if I tapered there would be less symptoms. But I feel what worked was a will to keep going, patience, and attitude to want to get better in any situation ct or tapering.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy