BakerG: need help to re adjust Prozac

BakerG

Hi all,  Im  hoping Altostrata or  someone with experience can help me...….for the last 4 years I have taken 10mg Prozac every 4 days odd times I have gone 5 or 6 but mostly 4days. I know now this is wrong and need to know what my dose would be if I take it every 2 days to start with. then later to every day. ( yes I now know I did wrong)I have been on Prozac for over 25 years started at 20mg    Not sure when or how I got to 10 mg but know I started forgetting them. Please note I don't want to come off them as I suffer panic attacks but at the 10mg every 4 days im doing great. I was wondering is that same as 5 every other day......or not.   As I said to start with want to take them every other day  then later level it out to a daily dosage. Thanks in advance for help

• ChessieCat changed the title to BakerG: need help to re adjust Prozac
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi BakerG and welcome to SA,

Yes, it is best to take your drug every day.  You could probably go to every day dosing straight away, especially if you have already skipped a day or days.  If you have been taking 10mg every four days this would be 2.5mg every day.  It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  You will need to be patient and not panic and take extra or skip doses during this time to give your brain the chance to stabilise.  Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization 

This topic explains how to get your dose:  Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

It's important to learn and to use not drug techniques.  Claire Weekes was a doctor who suffered from anxiety.  She learned and taught ways to cope.

Non-drug techniques to cope

Claire Weekes' Method

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

In case you do decide in the future to come off your Prozac I will give you the information:

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

This is your own Introduction topic where you can ask questions and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thankyou Cheesie Cat for you thoughts..... I was thinking if I went to every 2 days first it wouldn't upset me the same. But as you say 2.5 a day and now my question is.....wouldn't this level out the same over the four day period or will it have times its to much or two little...... My main problem is I suffered panic attacks in past from being dizzy a lot and no doctor really worked out why soon enough,, They kept saying there was nothing wrong with me. Until one day  they found i had a bad bug ,antibiotics given plus I had a garage door come down, hitting my head)  but they put me on Prozac as I was loosing it , .  All this leaving me very scared and panicy.........The dizzy days were so bad on start up, being a mess then, I never want to deal with them that bad again as I live alone and don't drive. So yes with your help and everyones Im hoping to not get to many days of that. Taking this move to fix my dosage to daily is scary also. So question is every day or every 2nd day to start with the change ..

• Moderator Emeritus

Prozac has a long half life which is why you have been able to "get away with" skipping days.  From:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoxetine

fluoxetine elimination half-life changes from 1 to 3 days, after a single dose, to 4 to 6 days, after long-term use

When you skip days there would times when the level of the drug drops.  Whereas taking the same dose every day reduces the fluctuation of the level of the drug in the system.

If you have taken 10mg today, it might be better to miss 2 days and then start taking 2.5mg every day.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thanks again ChessieCat for your reply.  In your first reply you gave a list of many interesting pages to read.  So will read those and when I come up with more questions, which im sure I will, I will again ask.    Thankyou for your time in helping not only me but everyone else going though their own problems...……... Have a pleasant day.  

Hi ChessieCat,  I guess I  do have couple questions . You said fluoxetine eliminations half life changes from 1-3 days after a single dose, to 4-6 days after long therm. My question is having taken 10mg once every 4 days, what half life did I come under. (single dose or long term) . I understand what you said about if I took 10mg to miss 2 days then take 2.5mg every day, My question then is , would it cover the 10mg in those 4 days going from a 10mg one day then to 2.5mg after two days then 2.5mg daily. On the day i use to take 10 mg now only a 2.5mg would I feel like it wasn't enough on the first day I took 2.5mg. Or would it naturally be right cause I have some in system anyway that aloud me to miss days. I guess am really a little nervous to do this.....But I was able to go  6 or 7 days if I forgot tablets but normally its 4 days. Am I making sence lol.  

Now onto another question. If I took  5mg every second day  would that be closer to the ten I was taking at the beginning and then not give side effects as Its still 10mg in 4 days.  Wonders if its better option to start with , then settle at that then do the every day one at 2.5mg. Im so sorry im sure you can see Im really trying not to get side effects to much. Just nervous to do I think .  Im not even sure I explained myself to good lol. I just keep going over it in my head thought you could straighten me out lol. Thank you

• Moderator Emeritus

I can understand you feeling confused.  It would be so nice if we could see what is happening so we can make decisions based on fact rather than best guesses.

As you get further away from the last dose you took you would have less drug available in your body and by adding in 2.5mg it will increase it by a bit.  If it was me I would go straight to taking 2.5mg every day, not taking 5mg every 2nd day.  I think this is unnecessary.

If you are concerned that you would be increasing the dose too much you could take 10mg and then start taking the 2.5mg on the 3rd day instead of the 2nd day.  So skip 2 days instead of skipping 1.  Theoretically that may be the better option.  I think it may keep the level in your body more even than if you take 10mg and then skip 3 days and then start on 2.5mg every day.

I hope that makes sense.

Oh my gosh im lost because maybe im not sure what is day One lol

you said following.

To take 10mg then 2.5mg on the third day. then every day. Have I got this right.

I called the fourth day my 10mg day (taken at night)  so now you saying take on the third day. at night right. Then every day after.

So I take 10mg at night lets say its a sunday, then I take it again weds night.....that gives me 3 full days on it , when taking it that  3rd night. Then daily.

Have you got a headache yet lol...…..im sorry but the more I read it the more my mind says WHATTTTTT LOL.

maybe if you can type it as taking 10mg on a Sunday and go from there lol. in case I still have it wrong.

thanks for help.

• Moderator Emeritus
16 hours ago, BakerG said:

So I take 10mg at night lets say its a sunday, then I take it again weds night.....that gives me 3 full days on it , when taking it that  3rd night. Then daily.

Yes, I am getting a headache!  But what you have posted above is what I mean.  So take 10mg Sunday night and 2.5mg Wednesday night and every night from then on.

• Moderator Emeritus

You're very welcome.  As long as you've "got it" now.  That's the main thing.

• Moderator Emeritus

When you get a chance please create your drug signature.

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Yes ChessieCat I will do my signature soon. Been reading lots of posts which have a lot of information.

For now I do have a question.

If I take my 10mg and the third and forth day the 2.5mg      that gives  me 5.mg in two days where normally id do the 10mg again. Would my body be screaming out for the other 5mg at that time.. Although I know im taking 2.5mg the next two days. Which would make up the 10mg.        And yes I have gone longer than four days before taking it without problems. Just a thought would it scream that it only gets 2.5mg day at the beginning of change,or will the build up daily bring it into alignment. 

Im trying so hard to not make it complicated for me or you. I do have hard time explaining myself.

Thankyou  for your patience and your guidance.

• Moderator Emeritus

You have been taking your drug inconsistently for a long time.  The sooner you can get your dosing consistent and taken every day the happier your brain will be.  You are just going to have to bite the bullet and do it.  I understand it can be confusing and scary but think of it this way.  Of course it is an analogy so the numbers may not be exactly what is happening in your body.

Actually I've just realised as I've typed the following that it might be better to start taking the 2.5mg on day 5.  What do you think?  You've skipped 5 or 6 days in the past so it might be better to get to less drug than more in your system.  Of course in your body you won't get to "empty" like gas in a car.

Day 1:  Put 10L of gas in car and drive using 2.5L

Days 2, 3 & 4:  You drive and use 2.5L each day so you have used 10L and the tank is empty.

Day 5:  You put in 2.5L and drive and use 2.5L

Day 6 etc:  You put in 2.5L

I hope that helps you to understand it better.

Good morning ChessieCat , The way you explained it really made sence . I think for me id prefer to have a touch ,more in me than lower. But yes I think how you explained makes lots sence . Many Thanks

Was thinking back to time I forgot to take it for 8 days and then I felt the nervousness.  That I know, no one likes. Is the reason I said id prefer just a touch more on change over to 2.5mg. 

would taking it day 4 help instead of day 5. Just a thought. I guess I wouldn't feel a change to much if I did. but then again lol.

by the way im 62  , not sure how fast or slow I metabolize tablets.

• Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, BakerG said:

But yes I think how you explained makes lots sence

Phew!  I don't know if I could have come up with another analogy to explain it.  😊

9 hours ago, BakerG said:

would taking it day 4 help instead of day 5.

Pick a day, either day.  Your guess is as good as mine.  If it was me I'd probably take it on day 3 or 4, so midway between would be day 4.  Does that help you make up your mind?

Hi ChessieCat,

Um I know you said it would be wasting time if I took 5mg every other day.  Just to go to the 2.5mg daily. But I just looked at my tablets and they are so so small ,I can cut the 10mg in half but its going to not be so easy cutting again to get stable amount for 2.5mg, being that they are so small to start with, and eyes not what they use to be .  And as I don't yet want to change to the Prozac liquid.  Would this be ok to start aligning it up from every four days to every second day for the time being.

Then when I'm ready to do later the liquid Prozac I can start then to do it every day not every second day. I know you don't advise this on here but for the time being I'm hoping that will work also in the long run. Even if takes longer to get to the daily dose amount. Thnking it be a little more stabe than every 4 days.

My example.........Take my 10mg On Sunday night,then none Monday, none Tuesday , none Wednesday , then 5mg Thursday night and 5mg Saturday night

Which I think is like over six days, then stable every 2 days. OR start the 5mg on Wednesday then Friday. equaling over 5 days. Which maybe is better to do.

If you feel yes I could do that for now. Could you for my sake lol type the days from Sunday 10mg onwards. As you know I get myself confused. Have been reading site a lot and do understand not to miss days. But till I'm ready to do it via liquid I hope can do it this way. And get it stable on every 2 days. I have a lot going on and i'm also trying to make everything more simple for me So can cope with it all.

I so appreciate you taking time for me and my concerns. I have also read your site and know you also are working through tapering ,And I wish you the very best .

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi BakerG,

How to cut up tablets or pills(using a pill cutter)

You also might consider making a liquid solution
How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques

I'll also refer you back to the initial links that ChessieCat gave you in her first post to you.  Especially the first post in "Why taper by 10% of your dose".  There's more on the why's of taking a consistent dose daily. 

And certainly the "Tips for tapering off Prozac(fluoxetine)" has a lot of information.

It's a lot to take in when you are new, we know.  Often just reading the first post(s) in some of the topics, for starters is excellent.

Welcome aboard.  Yes, keep it simple.  I'm just sharing the links for you.  They may come in handy now or later, to have them referenced, all on your main page here.

Best,

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thanks yes im reading those pages. But still would like to know if it be ok to do as  5mg every other day for now. Later when things settle down here to do it every day. I have kept copy of notes here so I have them on hand.

• Moderator Emeritus

Skipping Days vs Every Day Dosing Graph

Even though Prozac has a long half life, taking it every day will give you a more consistent level of drug in your system.  The longer you take a drug inconsistently the more likely it will be that you could end up with issues down the track.  I don't think you have yet realised what these drugs do to us.  Please read post #1 of this topic:  Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable  Especially Point 3.

Prozac tablets can be dissolved in water or cranberry juice and made into liquid.  I can remember reading somewhere that in water it can taste a bit nasty.  Keep the left over in the fridge in a covered container.  It should be okay for a few days.

We've provided you with the best information we have on getting your drug dose and reasons why it's best to take you dose daily.  It's up to you whether you decide to take it daily or skip a day.  We can't make to the decision for you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi BakerG,

I'm sold on getting you onto a consistent daily dose as soon as possible.  So this would not include a plan to do 5 mg every other day for now.

The rule of 3 KIS: keep it simple, keep it slow, keep it stable

(this is the same link ^ that Ccat referred to as well)

The CNS really likes stability. 

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug. When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

Also with the changes in medications, up and down.......often havoc results on an already sensitized nervous system.

On 10/17/2018 at 5:20 AM, BakerG said:

Good morning ChessieCat , The way you explained it really made sence . I think for me id prefer to have a touch ,more in me than lower. But yes I think how you explained makes lots sence . Many Thanks

Baker, you are not going to have a touch more in you if you take 5 mg every other day.  I'm just not seeing it that way.

On 10/15/2018 at 8:48 PM, ChessieCat said:

When you get a chance please create your drug signature.

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

We also do really need you to give it your best try at doing a signature.  Here is a bit more about creating a signature.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

this is the portion that you can see below members posts, unless viewing from a phone device.  However.......you can still create a signature from a phone device.

Looks like we nearly collided posting at the same time......Ccat and I.  B)

Best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
spacing

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thankyou ChessieCat & Manymoretodays.

Yes im reading those pages and do understand . Im reading all  I can.

OK I guess I will do the DAILY of 2.5mg....I think im over stressing about it. As I said I have other stuff going on.

But One question . going down to the 2.5mg on the third day then daily will you think it will level out fast enough without to much of a problem seen I took it every 4 days sometimes odd 5 or 6 days. Just your thought. 

Many thanks to you for trying to put me on track.

• Moderator Emeritus
20 minutes ago, BakerG said:

But One question . going down to the 2.5mg on the third day then daily will you think it will level out fast enough without to much of a problem seen I took it every 4 days sometimes odd 5 or 6 days. Just your thought. 

We've already discussed this.

21 minutes ago, BakerG said:

.I think im over stressing about it.

Yes, you are.  It can be overwhelming when you first get here and there is so much information you are trying to process.  However the sooner you do it the sooner your brain will be getting a consistent dose.

Pick a day and do it.