Sandman

I am a 27 years old man. I was on sertraline 100mg for about 8 years. While being on the medication I could not attain penile erection. Tried to have sex with my girlfriend multiple times but failed everytime. My penis felt unresponsive to any sexual stimulus. This was very distressing and hence I stopped taking the medicine by slowly tapering it off. It has been 10 months since I last ingested the medicine but the sexual dysfunction is persistent. I still cannot attain erection and in an addition I have been facing the problem of severe premature ejaculation since I stopped taking the SSRI.

Moreover, my memory has been highly affected by the drug. I struggle to remember everyday things. I cannot concentrate. I don't feel emotions. It feels like I am dead from inside. And I almost always feel a burning sensation in my brain. The drug has profoundly impacted my brain functions. I am very helpless right now. My life has become an unbearable tragedy. I don't know what I should do now. 

I am in a long distance relationship with a girl who wants to marry me. I am desperate to have a family. But I am afraid to go further given my condition.  

I am completely helpless and somehow surviving the distress caused by PSSD. I am eagerly waiting to hear from my peers in this forum. 

Edited by ChessieCat
changed font colour for easier reading

I was on Sertraline 100 mg from 20-01-2010 to 11-01-2018.

I am off Sertraline now. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Sandman: sertraline and PSSD
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sandman and welcome to SA,

To help us out please create your drug signature.

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

What are the chances of my recovery? Can I get my sexual abilities back?

I am off Sertraline now. 

• Moderator Emeritus

This is SA's PSSD discussion topic:  

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Hi Sandman,

Really sorry to hear about your troubles. I have PSSD too. 

A lot of people have recovered from PSSD.  But unfortunately it can take a very long time - as in years. 

My personal advice is not to read too much on PSSD specific forums. Many people on them seem to think that anything more than 1 or 2 years off the meds and it is permanent. But most recovery stories are more than this. Other issues caused by SSRI's can take many years to resolve and unfortunately it is the same for PSSD.  

Escitalopram for anxiety (dates below are approximate).

Oct 09 - Apr 10, 20mg (tapered off over about 6 weeks). 

Jun 10 - Feb 11, 20mg (tapered off over about 6 weeks). 

Jun 11 - Aug 12, 20mg (started to taper off but failed). 

Oct 12 - Dec 13, 20mg.  Dec 13 - Apr 14, 10mg.  Apr 14 - Nov 14, 5mg. 

Nov 14 - Jan 16, 20mg.  Jan 16 - Aug 16, 10mg.  Aug 16 - Dec 16, 10mg every other day.  Dec 16 - Jan 17 5mg every third day.  Jan 17 - took last tablet.

On 10/18/2018 at 3:54 AM, 1Day said:

Hi Sandman,

Really sorry to hear about your troubles. I have PSSD too. 

A lot of people have recovered from PSSD.  But unfortunately it can take a very long time - as in years. 

My personal advice is not to read too much on PSSD specific forums. Many people on them seem to think that anything more than 1 or 2 years off the meds and it is permanent. But most recovery stories are more than this. Other issues caused by SSRI's can take many years to resolve and unfortunately it is the same for PSSD.  

1Day, I thank you for your valuable advice. We have no other option than to be optimistic and have faith on life. But often hopelessness curtains the very faint light of hope. Still we have to be patient to see what is coming. 

I will be glad to know if you have experienced any improvement in your PSSD symptoms.

Thanking you,

Sandman

I am off Sertraline now. 

I have the occasional glimmer of some improvement.  During the first 5 weeks I was off the drug I had 2 or 3 periods each lasting a couple of days where I was pretty much back to normal.  I think I came off the drug too quickly.  I wish I had done it much slower, because maybe then I would have avoided PSSD.  Who knows.  But at least it showed my body is capable of working normally.  And it is one of the reasons that I do not believe that this situation is actual 'damage'.  But since that 5 week period, like I say, only the occasional glimmer of some slight improvement.

Is your PSSD now, any different to the dysfunction you had whilst on the drug? 

I hope things start to improve for us soon.

1Day

Nov 14 - Jan 16, 20mg.  Jan 16 - Aug 16, 10mg.  Aug 16 - Dec 16, 10mg every other day.  Dec 16 - Jan 17 5mg every third day.  Jan 17 - took last tablet.

I am off Setraline for 10 months now but have experienced no improvement in my pssd symptoms. I am still suffering from erectile dysfunction as I did while being on the SSRI. The penis feels numb and the orgasms feel almost pleasureless. Moreover, since tapering off the medicine, I have been experiencing horrific premature ejaculation with no signs of improvement till now. 

I see no light of hope. It is very hard for anybody even to comprehend the mental pain I am going through.  I do not even know what I should do now.

Sandman

I am off Sertraline now. 

Many people have had the symptoms that you have now.  And I hate to have to say this to you, but 10 months is quite likely still the beginning of the road.  Nearly all of the recovery stories I have read/heard about are 2+ years.  And most of those are quite a bit more than 2 years, as in 3-8 years.  There is much hope, including people that have recovered on this very forum.  You say you don't know what to do now; the first thing you need to do is to stop convincing yourself that there is no hope - because that is simply not true. 

• 2 months later...

Hi Sandman,

Im female & also have PSSD. It’s been 2 years pill free with some improvement and after reading many recovery stories I believe we will heal in time. Please know that you’re not alone.. I know how distressing it can be! Day to day I focus my mind on other things that I am grateful to have and feel more optimistic. Hope you start to see some improvement soon :) 

Sertaline (Zoloft)

25mg increased to 50mg after 2-3 weeks 

Mid Oct 2016 - Mid Dec 2016 

I also took Propranalol as and when/on and off from 2012 to 2016

On 1/18/2019 at 3:32 AM, Shar244 said:

Hi Sandman,

Im female & also have PSSD. It’s been 2 years pill free with some improvement and after reading many recovery stories I believe we will heal in time. Please know that you’re not alone.. I know how distressing it can be! Day to day I focus my mind on other things that I am grateful to have and feel more optimistic. Hope you start to see some improvement soon :) 

Hi Shar244,

I am glad to hear from you. Thanks for your supportive words. I am optimistic that we will recover but it may take some time. We must stand by each other in this difficult time. 

I am off Sertraline now. 

I’ve actually felt quite low these past few days so was nice to read your message! We must.. how are you feeling lately? Are you experiencing ‘windows and waves’ yet?

Shar 

Sertaline (Zoloft)

25mg increased to 50mg after 2-3 weeks 

Mid Oct 2016 - Mid Dec 2016 

I also took Propranalol as and when/on and off from 2012 to 2016

It's nice to hear from you! I can understand how you feel. It's a journey full of lows and rare, if any, highs. I haven't yet experienced any significant 'windows and waves' so far. Often things become so dark and gloomy that it seems I have reached the bottom with no place to escape and it's only there the willingness to fight back takes shape. I am optimistic that my condition would start improving soon. We must keep fighting hard! 

Which SSRI drug were you on and how long?  Are you experiencing windows and waves? Have you faced any kind of congnitive difficulty since the time of withdrawal?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Sandman

I am off Sertraline now. 

g1313,

I am glad to hear that you are improving. 

I would appreciate if you give a brief account of the improvement you have experienced in your PSSD symptoms.

Which SSRI drug did you take and what was the duration?

Waiting hear from you.

Sandman

I am off Sertraline now. 

Hi Sandman, I took citalopram a few years ago and was left in complete apathy, my symptoms of apathy have improved, I am taking buspirone only in very low dose, so nothing new sorry, but my apathy seems to be improving, sexual symptoms slightly. I am going to add reboxetine. Hope ur ok,

MOD NOTE:  Please see my response to g1313 below.

Edited by ChessieCat
mod note

citalopram 2 weeks use 2014 pssd

• Moderator Emeritus

@g1313

Taking additional psychiatric drugs may make your condition worse.  Please see my response in your Introduction topic.

• 2 years later...

@Marchand de sable Sorry to deter the subject but I wanted to know if your orgasm was back as before and if your premature ejaculation was improved?  Because I also have the same problem since the start of my withdrawal

Hello everyone, I was on seroplex 10mg in October 2019 for over a year and then on brintellix from March to September for maybe 8 months. I made several attempts to stop abruptly then I resumed the treatment of brintellix recently for a few weeks because it was too difficult to stop.

Symptom when stopped: premature ejaculation, ejaculation with less orgasm. Severe insomnia, transient headaches, sensitivity to noise and light.

Last intake of brintellix 5mg: Saturday, September 11, 2021

• 1 month later...

@Parisien I would like to share my experience here. It has been almost 4 years since I'm off Sertraline, but my sexual symptoms have not improved a bit. Erectile dysfunction, severe premature ejaculation (it started with the SSRI withdrawal) and muted orgasm have remained the same. Meanwhile, there has been a considerable improvement in my ability to feel emotions.

I am off Sertraline now. 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Sandman said:

there has been a considerable improvement in my ability to feel emotions.

That is good news.  Hopefully the other issues will soon resolve for you too.

19 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

That is good news.  Hopefully the other issues will soon resolve for you too.

Thanks. 

I am off Sertraline now. 

• 3 months later...

@Sandman have you seen any additional improvements?

-lexapro 10mg daily from 2012 to 2021 (halfed dose in 4/2021, went all the way off 6/21)

-various benzos 2014-2019... valium 2019-10/2021~20mg, inconsistent but daily dosing
10/9-17.5mg 10/23-15m 11/29 - 12.5 12/24 - 12 12/31 - 11.5 
2/27/22 - 11 3/31 - 10.5 4/14 - 10 5/3 - 9.5 5/15 - 9 6/6 - 8.5

On 3/7/2022 at 9:48 AM, canaanstongue01 said:

@Sandman have you seen any additional improvements?

No. 

I am off Sertraline now. 

Thank you for your answer, you haven't had any improvement in your sexuality during all this time whether for orgasm or ejaculation.  Well I encourage you to stay drug free and keep hoping.  I am almost three months away from weaning.  I would wait two years at the most, I am 31 years old if at 33 I have no improvement I would take either St. John's wort or an antidepressant again.  And yes the doctors do not recognize our suffering.  Except that living with premature ejaculation is not viable for being in a relationship.  We all know that.  Do you practice regularly?  Have you had a testosterone test seen by a urologist?  Do you play sports do you have a balanced diet  ? @Sandman@Château de sable

Edited by Parisien

Hello everyone, I was on seroplex 10mg in October 2019 for over a year and then on brintellix from March to September for maybe 8 months. I made several attempts to stop abruptly then I resumed the treatment of brintellix recently for a few weeks because it was too difficult to stop.

Symptom when stopped: premature ejaculation, ejaculation with less orgasm. Severe insomnia, transient headaches, sensitivity to noise and light.

Last intake of brintellix 5mg: Saturday, September 11, 2021

• 5 months later...

I am 4 months in. I am happy to hear you have seen improvement in emotional range. That is what is most distressing for me. I am also experiencing pssd in additional to the emotional anesthesia and anhedonia. I can’t wait to experience more of my emotions again. Hope you are doing okay and will be better in more time. 

Aug 2020 - Feb 2022 on and off Lexapro 5 and 10mg,  Rapid taper

Nov 2021 - May 2022 on off Wellbutrin 100mg, 150mg, 75mg CT clindamycin cycle and also Plan B bc 1x 

Fall 2020- June 2022 - Xanax .5 PRN usually 4x a week, CT 

June 2022 - Z pack, Buspar 7.5 3 days

September 20-24th - low tryptophan diet and 20-30g beef gelatin powder

Oct 3- 16 - Xanax .5 for sleep each pm, 1 mg Ativan in ER, .25 Xanax —> .125–>0 

Oct 14-17Trazadone 50/75, Lunesta 3mg 

Oct 24-  start Belsomra, 4 days to20mg 

Nov 3-5 10mg Belsomra and 300mg Gabapentin 

Oct 13-Dec 1 Buspar 7.5 2x/day rapid taper over 2 weeks due to ADR 

Recent: Belsomra 20mg since 10/23/2022 to 15mg mid December for 2 nights —> 20mg —> 15 mg since 12/22/2022 —>14 mg compounded 02/11/2023 —> 15 mg 2/13 —> 10mg 2/22 —> 5mg 3/1 —> 0mg 3/8/2023 

Current:  Propanolol 20mg AM, 10mg 4pm, 20mg PM since 11/30/2022

• 3 months later...

@Sandman how much would you say your Anhedonia/emotions has improved? Also how slow did you taper when you got off? I find it strange that some people get pssd/Anhedonia while starting or on the drug while some only get it after discontinuing 

Jan 2017 (17 years old) Prozac 10 mg : May 2018 rapid taper to 0mg : August 2018 low dose hydrocodone for 1 week- sept 2018: began taking the legal supplement Kratom (partial opiate agonist, serotonin receptor agonist, 5-HT2c blocker increasing dopemine and norepinephrine) for back pain : October 2018- reinstated 10 mg Prozac Jan 2019 upped to 20 mg prozac
August 2019: upped to 40 mg prozac 
Through 2020 Worked up to 25 gpd krat
September 2020: dropped Kratom dose by 10gpd
Sept 2020- Jan 2021: tapered krat to 7gpd
January 2021: switched to lexapro 10 mg
May 2021:  delayed withdrawal symptoms

May-January- tapered Krat to 0.8 mg, jumped in late Jan 

April 2022: drop lexapro and added 10 mg Prozac 

July 7: 15 mg Prozac