SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

composter: Amitriptyline withdrawal & reinstated, unsure of next steps

composter

• Moderator Emeritus

The one and only @brassmonkey. Honored to be one of your "pupils" haha. Definitely very grateful that things seem to be on the right track. And counting my blessings that I reinstated at the right time.

OK let's see, here were the past two days:

1/12/19

- 4a - 7a: slept (during windows I sleep normally from 10p-9a or so)

- 8a - 12p: fearfulness and worry (8/10); warmness returning to head (my glimmer of healing)

- 1p - 5p: phone call to friend and time with family, walking in gardens; generally fearful and depressed, voiced fears aloud

- 5p - 7p: crying and worry, reassurance and prayer from family

- 7p: took 11 mg Amitriptyline; fearfulness, dinner and Epsom salt foot soaks; vomiting shortly after

- 8p - 10p: winding down for sleep

1/13/19

- 10p - 3a: took 0.5 mg melatonin, in bed, unable to sleep

- 3a -7a: sleep (took Ambien 5 mg as last resort)

- 9a - 11a: at church, anxiety and fearfulness (8/10) difficulty focusing

- noon - 5p: at home, ruminating and depression (8/10) unable to nap

- 5p - 7p: soup for dinner, time w parents, relief from emotional symptoms

- 7p: took 11 mg Amitriptyline, spoke w friends and family on phone, more hopefulness and calm

- 9p - 4a (now): in bed, foot massage, unable to sleep, hyperactive and thinking

I don't have too much relief from the emotional symptoms yet. I am also a bit hypersensitive to some supplements right now so I'm not taking them. I have a lack of appetite and have been eating simple foods and fermented foods that I crave, like fruits, coconut yogurt, soup. Leaning on support from family and friends. 

Overall just listening to my body and praying that this will come to pass soon. One of the longer waves I've had so far. My body seems to be under lots of stress (tight knot in stomach, hair loss) as the nervous system repairs itself. But as difficult at this is now, it is still 100x better than my acute withdrawal.

Apr 2018: Began 10 mg Amitriptyline (for headaches & insomnia from concussion).

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

• Moderator Emeritus

Are there any other things going on in your life at the moment?

Many members found that their withdrawal symptoms increased over the Christmas period.

As BrassMonkey said, you are getting windows which is a good sign, especially a ratio of 3:1.

Don't compare how you are feeling now to how you were feeling at your best, compare how you are feeling now to your worst.

Something that I think happens is that the improvements seem to happen gradually, whereas the worsening seems to happen in one fell swoop.  You may also find that each wave you go through isn't quite as bad as the previous one, however it can be hard to compare because you've had a period of improvement in between the waves so that is what you compare it to.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

@ChessieCat I think all that you are saying is very true. Very reassuring as well. While this wave is rough with the emotional symptoms and the sleeplessness, you're right that it was not as bad as my previous wave, when I had lots of crying spells. My previous wave was shorter, though. And the window after that was really really strong, feeling quite normal except for some lack of motivation and coldness in my head (the most persistent symptom). I was active and engaged during the Christmas season, felt motivated, and was able to travel.

Some stressors now: the weather/rain may be connected, and I'm trying to apply to grad school so I had worries about if X was the proper direction for me. This wave may be worse than last wave but I need to hold onto the knowledge that it will pass.

Thank you for your input.

Jul - Aug 2018: Fast taper to 5 mg and then 2.5 mg (too fast, hellish withdrawal at 2.5 mg). Sept 2018: Reinstated 10 mg (many symptoms improved). Oct 2018 - Apr 2019: Updosed & stabilized on 11 mg (2 waves at 3 and 5 months post-withdrawal). Apr 2019 - Apr 2020: Tapered 0.5-0.25 mg per month using compounded pills: 11 mg —> 6 mg. (2 waves at 12 and 16 months post-withdrawal.) Apr 2020 - present: Switched to a liquid taper at rate of 0.1 mg per month. Currently: 1.1 mg. No more waves. 

Supplements: Omega-3 fish oil, Vit B12, coenzyme Q10, Hawthorn extract (for tachycardia) Tools for insomnia/waves (as needed): Epsom salt foot soaks, 0.5 mg Melatonin, quality time, waves WILL PASS. Lifestyle: Eat real foods, mostly plants; sunlight, walking, yoga; symptom tracking on adapted Glenmullen chart.

• Moderator Emeritus

It will pass.

Healing is not a linear process.

Trust, acceptance, surrender.

God is in control.

Peace, peace, peace.

These are my mantras going through this recent wave. I have felt such sorrow, despair, and mourning. I have felt so troubled by this injustice AD prescription and withdrawal bc it makes things so much worse trying to come off. And I'm just trying to stabilize.

Prior to all this I prided myself in being a very resilient person, coping with difficulty well. Yes, I would struggle with common things like fear of failure, doubt, some depression and anxiety, but nothing unmanageable and nothing that usual coping tools or CBT couldn't address. But during waves I go through such deep depression and anxiety, rumination and fear that almost nothing can help except for just riding it out, being with people, and trusting that it will pass. 

I feel like I have had insight into so many psychological or neurological conditions through this: major depression, bipolar, narcissistic personality, autism, etc etc.

I feel I have looked into the darkness of psych meds and feel deeply troubled by what I've seen. I am going to focus on writing about this experience/injustice, creating art and engaging in activism, but also trying to move forward in my life in a way that is meaningful and productive. 

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Composter, how are you getting along these days?

2016 - Zoloft 50 mg for klonopin w/d

Approx. Nov 2017 - successful taper of klonopin; Approx. Jan. 2018 - rapid taper Zoloft over 2 wks - no w/d symptoms; May 2018 - Reinstate 50 mg Zoloft per doctor; Aug 2018 - Rapid taper Zoloft over 3-4 weeks - no w/d symptoms for 1 mo.; Late Oct 2018 - pdoc rx'd 5mg lexapro -took for 1 wk; Early Nov 2018 - Reinstate 25 mg Zoloft; updose to 37.5 on Nov 28, 2018; Nov 30 2018 - returned to 25mg Zoloft upon mod. advice; Dec 9 - Dec10 2018 - 12.5mg zoloft liquid+12.5mg zoloft pill; Dec 11 2018 - 25mg zoloft all liquid; Feb 14 2019 - updosed to 26.25 mg liquid; Mar 6 2019 - updosed to 26.88 mg liquid - new symptoms; Mar 13 2019 - back down to 26.25 mg per mod suggestion

Dose Changes: Dec 2 2019 - 5% to 25mg; Jan 14 2020 - 10% to 22.5 (increase in sxs all month); Mar 10-15? 2020,  accidental updose to 25mg; Mar 22 2020 - back down to 22.5mg; Apr 12 2020 - 2.5% to 21.94mg; Apr 19 2020 - 2.5% to 21.375mg (symptom increase); May 17 2020 - 2.5% to 20.625mg; May 24 2020 - 2.5% to 20.1mg - Jun 14 2020 - noticed uptick in symptoms settled 2 days later - July 10 2020 - onset of wave

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi @Dejavu, wonderful to hear from you. It's been several months since I visited the site and checked in, and it's honestly because I've been doing really well. No news is good news for my thread, at least. 😊 I wish you all the best and will be praying for your stabilization. Seeing your latest updates, my heart goes out to you as you continue to manage stresses at work and look for hopeful windows. I know that you WILL stabilize and I trust that you have improved compared to where you were several months ago. So glad to hear you have a strong support system with your loving husband and understanding therapist. 

My updates:

In all I believe I am just about fully stabilized on my reinstated 11 mg Amitriptyline. I had two rough waves in December (1 week) and January (2 weeks) with heightened anxiety, fear, crying spells, and insomnia. But since then I've enjoyed very strong stability and most of my physical symptoms (buzzing headache, hole in head) have disappeared over the course of the past few months.

In many ways I feel my emotional health and sense of self has been restored to my usual self. Very grateful for that. The only physical symptom that remains is my cold-head sensation. But even with that I'm wearing fewer layers of hats in the daytime and in bed (just one layer!). My heart rate is still somewhat elevated, with an average of about 90 bpm resting HR. But it's not as much of a concern.

It's now been 8 months since I reinstated and I am forever grateful to SA for providing hope and guidance when I was in such a dark place. I plan to begin my taper in mid-April or May and will follow the 10% rule as best I can with the help of a compounding pharmacy. Here's to a slow and successful taper!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Wondering if mods can chime in on my decision to begin my taper?

I have just about fully stabilized on 11 mg Amitriptyline after a too-fast taper in which I underwent severe withdrawal at 2.5 mg in Sept 2018. Very grateful for the wealth of information and support this site.

It's now been about 8 months since I reinstated and 3 months since my last wave. My symptoms have improved about 95%, with the only lingering symptoms being a constant cold-head and slight sensation of a hole in my head. No emotional symptoms to note.

I am confident that I have come to a very stable point and I am ready to begin my taper, looking to start April 15 with a drop to 10 mg. Would you agree and support this decision to begin the taper? My only hesitation would be to hold on 11 mg for maybe a month longer to see if the cold-head and holey-head disappear. I'm weighing the cost-benefit of getting started on tapering vs adding an extra month to see if symptoms fully subside.

Hi Composter-- There are always going to be some symptoms during stabilization and tapering.  If there haven't been any big swings in the symptoms for several weeks then you're probably pretty stable. So it sounds like starting a taper is a good plan. This reduction will be easy to make, but do you have the equipment necessary to make the next.  If not now would be a good time to start getting things ready.

Please take mental note of everything that you're feeling right now because this will establish your WDnormal baseline.  After you've done a couple of reductions you might start to feel an overall improvement in your symptoms.  This would be an improvement in your WDnormal baseline and is the best overall measure of healing. Improvements in the WDnormal baseline are slow in coming but over time they are quite evident.  If over many months there is no improvement, then it means that there is something about the taper that needs reexamined and adjusted.

Best of luck and keep us informed.

Brassmonkey

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you @brassmonkey! Always grateful for your insight.

You're right that the reduction from 11 to 10 mg will be easy. I would just be foregoing the extra 1 mg compounded pill that I had added. For the 10% reductions after 10 mg I plan to get them compounded at a local compounding pharmacy, and with prescriptions from a close family member who is an MD and has fully supported me during this process. If I run into issues with this or need to go slower, I also have a jewelers scale and pill crusher that I purchased several months back and can work to make calculations of weights.

Great idea. I have a symptom chart that I will make notes on before I start my taper to establish the WDnormal. That would be amazing to experience improvements beyond this WDnormal baseline. I do feel very strong as it is! I will definitely keep you all informed on my thread!

• Moderator Emeritus

So I made the 10% drop to 10 mg on Monday. It's been three days so far and i have noticed an increase of symptoms: interrupted sleep, faster HR (low 100s), some dizziness/squeezed brain feeling, and a bit of impatience.

It's been bearable and I want to see if it levels out over the next few weeks. But if things get worse I'll consider updosing to 10.5 mg or doing the Brassmonkey slide. I think as I go below 10 mg it'll make sense to convert to liquid and do the slide.

I came across this Oliver Sacks piece this morning and agree wholeheartedly that gardens are soothing to the nervous system. "The Healing Power of Gardens": https://nyti.ms/2IGiy6g

I am a young person who loves to garden and loves visiting gardens and farms. When I went through the acute withdrawal last fall, the only things that brought me peace were so fundamental: being with plants, listening to choral music, and receiving care and hugs from family. In fact I felt a visceral desire to go to the local Botanical Garden, which I hadn't been to in 15+ years. I could barely walk but my Mom took me there and we just sat on a bench, watching the pollinators and smelling the fragrance. It's become a favorite place of mine to visit for "nature therapy" since then.

• Moderator Emeritus

It's now been a week since my 1 mg reduction from 11 to 10 mg Amitriptyline. Mood and sleep are stable. For the past four days or so I've had more pronounced lethargy. Just a general feeling of being slow, some cog-fog, and dragging myself to do stuff. Still bearable and I'm hoping to see things level out soon enough.

I'm definitely going to look into doing liquid tapering at much slower rates for future cuts. Seems like the unpredictability of tapering symptoms can be made more subtle that way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

@composter, just checking in to see how you're coming along on 10mg. I hope you're starting to feel a bit more energy now.

I converted to all liquid a few months ago. It went fine, although I haven't stabilized enough to start my taper yet. But I think switching to liquid is a good idea. Just do it gradually.

Hugs!!

Approx. Nov 2017 - successful taper of klonopin; Approx. Jan. 2018 - rapid taper Zoloft over 2 wks - no w/d symptoms; May 2018 - Reinstate 50 mg Zoloft per doctor; Aug 2018 - Rapid taper Zoloft over 3-4 weeks - no w/d symptoms for 1 mo.; Late Oct 2018 - pdoc rx'd 5mg lexapro -took for 1 wk; Early Nov 2018 - Reinstate 25 mg Zoloft; updose to 37.5 on Nov 28, 2018; Nov 30 2018 - returned to 25mg Zoloft upon mod. advice; Dec 9 - Dec10 2018 - 12.5mg zoloft liquid+12.5mg zoloft pill; Dec 11 2018 - 25mg zoloft all liquid; Feb 14 2019 - updosed to 26.25 mg liquid; Mar 6 2019 - updosed to 26.88 mg liquid - new symptoms; Mar 13 2019 - back down to 26.25 mg per mod suggestion

Dose Changes: Dec 2 2019 - 5% to 25mg; Jan 14 2020 - 10% to 22.5 (increase in sxs all month); Mar 10-15? 2020,  accidental updose to 25mg; Mar 22 2020 - back down to 22.5mg; Apr 12 2020 - 2.5% to 21.94mg; Apr 19 2020 - 2.5% to 21.375mg (symptom increase); May 17 2020 - 2.5% to 20.625mg; May 24 2020 - 2.5% to 20.1mg - Jun 14 2020 - noticed uptick in symptoms settled 2 days later - July 10 2020 - onset of wave

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello @Dejavu and thank you for checking in. The fatigue and lethargy have subsided! I've felt quite good and strong for the past two weeks. All seems to be good on this first cut from 11 to 10. Sleep, mood, physical symptoms are all at a normal level.

I will plan to make my next cut to 9.5 at the end of May...Waiting for my semester of classes to finish before making changes. I've decided to go with 5% reductions for the next few cuts at least, rather than switch to a liquid just yet.

• Moderator Emeritus

I have a question for the mods:

Possibly the first time I've done this, but I realize that I accidentally skipped a dose yesterday. I usually take my 10 mg tablet at 7 pm every night. Yesterday I was out doing things outside of my normal routine and completely forgot to take it at all. 

My question is this: should I take the dose today (this morning) and another at night as usual? Or should I just let it be and hope nothing's too bumpy from skipping a dose? What would you do? I usually get drowsy after taking the med.

• Administrator

Can you cut a 10mg tablet in half and take half this morning? You'd take your normal 10mg dose this evening.

You might go through some bumps because of the irregular dosing, but maybe not.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you @Altostrata! That makes sense. I have extra 1 mg pills that were compounded so I took five of those to keep it accurate. Crossing my fingers I don't have too many bumps! Be well!

• Administrator

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

How are you doing today? Any fallout from the missed dose? Thinking of you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for checking in @Altostrata and @Dejavu. Seems like things have gone on without major incident. On Sat after I took the 5 mg in the morning, I did get very drowsy by the afternoon and took a nap. Then yesterday on a walk w my family, I had trouble walking back home where I completely ran out of power.

But sleep has been good and I have nothing to complain about! Just a little more drowsiness and reduced physical capacity but that should all level out soon. Thanks for your care! If I have a busy evening in the future I'll put a reminder on my phone so I don't forget to take the med.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yay!!! A sure sign that you're good and stable. Maybe hold an extra few days this time, just to make sure it doesn't come back to bite you.

I almost forgot my dose last week. That would probably have not gone well for me, since I'm just now starting to stabilize. But that was also when I first realized I was not obsessing on my symptoms, which is a good thing.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Currently in a very unexpected wave. I haven't visited the site in months bc I have been doing quite well. Starting this April, I've been tapering by 0.5 mg per month increments and I'm currently at 8.5 mg. 

Each taper has progressed without much issue. Some slight recurrence of my symptoms does happen but it levels out within a week. I am deeply indepted to Brassmonkey and other guiding lights on here with their "what to expect while stabilizing or tapering" guides and of course the windows and waves analogy. 

Onto my wave: I've had this pattern before in Dec and Jan during my 2 waves while stabilizing. It's 1-2 weeks of extreme insomnia (no sleep at all for 2 or 3 days) childlike fearfulness, such as fear for the safety of my parents, lack of comprehension of reading and speaking, and in general just feeling despondent. But this wave is much better than my Dec and Jan waves. I know it will pass.

It is just so ironic to me that I would have this wave at one year to the dot of my acute withdrawal and reinstatement. It's definitely bringing my mind back to it all. I did process the trauma of it in therapy which was helpful. 

Aside from this, I'm going to be making a major life change this month: Moving back out of my parents house and starting graduate school a 2 hr drive away. I am planning to hold at 8.5 mg for as long as it takes to be stable again and be out of this wave. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Guess I'm just looking for support and encouragement from the folks who know what ADWD hell is all about. 

Does anyone else feel like the world is ending when you have a wave? All my fears get magnified and I start to think that society will collapse and when it does, EVERYONE who's medicated w ADs and Benzos will go into full on withdrawal and all hell will break loose. These thoughts color my days in a wave when I look at everyone and think "are they going through this too?" Or have fears about my privacy being violated among the folks I've shared my withdrawal experience candidly. 

• Moderator Emeritus

This is definitely a wave but I think it's passing. I'm sweating more today which is a sign to me that my thermoregulation issues are going to improve. 

I also had nausea and vomiting today, which I know was part of the wave. I also have tightness in my belly which I know to be another wave symptom. Talk about the gut-brain connection in all this.

Waves have been so paradoxical. Each time I am intensely grateful for my family and the support and understanding I have in my parents and sister. They absolutely know what I need, hear me and fully acknowledge my withdrawal and the info I've learned on here, and remind me that it will pass. I know many on here do not have that and my prayers are with you for supportive people.

My waves have always been a cluster of extreme insomnia, fearfulness, weeping, lack of comprehension. But after it's over, some things ALWAYS improve. I have had 3 waves since reinstating in Sept 2018: #1 in December 2018, #2 in January 2019, and #3 now in Sept 2019.

Deep breath... we will see what the future holds. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Waves are suuch a complete doozy. When I'm in mine, I simply must put myself in a bubble. And my symptoms very much resemble the brain injury symptoms of my previous concussions with headaches, light and noise sensitivity. When I'm in my waves, I grieve and mourn for passed relatives, I feel very needy, and all my worst fears are magnified.

What's interesting too, is that I simply cannot do anything that would be considered "modern" or post-industrial age. I have acute fears of driving/car accidents, I cannot bring myself to look at screens or watch any TV...I crave only ancient and traditional practices like being with people, being with plants, going for walks, and talking. I also tend to be forgetful and lack some comprehension.

But I also must remind myself that the brain has incredible plasticity and built-in healing mechanisms that are yet to be understood (and may never be fully understood). People have recovered and I will taper and recover. 

I have essentially taken a full year off of "life" since going through my withdrawal and then reinstating. I've taken a few classes and picked up a few small jobs with family, but other than that it's like I hit pause on any career movement. And that has been agonizing. But I am so grateful to have the resources and support within my family to do that.

Truly, truly, we are on a cosmic supernatural soul journey bender with this process. I met a friend who is starting my same graduate program who mentioned she went through "discontinuation syndrome" which we know as withdrawal. This is the very first time I've met someone IRL who has gone through this (wait actually I know someone from my church who did too). It's a comfort to know I will not be alone.

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh another thing....I cannot look at or read any news in a wave. It absolutely triggers fear and anxiety spirals. Which is so weird bc I consider myself to be a very well-informed person. I've had a NyTimes subscription for two years now and read voraciously. Sadly enough, I had read the first AD-related story that broke in April 2018 right when I was beginning my drug, but thought that since it was a tricyclic and since i was only taking it short term, it wouldn't be a problem. I even asked my neuro at the time if i should be concerned.... Well here I am now. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Question for @brassmonkey: I know you've seen the pattern of 1 month, 3 months, and 10-12 month waves before. But this is typically in the context of after someone has tapered completely off the drug. Is this correct? I continue to wonder why I have had this pattern even though I'm not off the drug but I did a full reinstatement at the proper time.

I am holding out hope that this is my last wave for a long time and I can continue my taper smoothly like in previous months (0.5 mg monthly reductions starting in April).

On 9/9/2019 at 7:55 AM, composter said:

I also have tightness in my belly which I know to be another wave symptom. Talk about the gut-brain connection in all this.

I also experienced this yesterday after eating an apple. Really freaked me out and I was worried I had a serious stomach illness. Lasted about half an hour and was really intense. Then it came back later with less intensity when I ate a small snack. I have never experienced this symptom before and I'm almost 100% sure it's withdrawal related. And why wouldn´t it be, what with the gut-brain connection as you mention.

2014: Paxil 20 mg - 1 year - protracted withdrawal that lasted years

2019: Venlafaxine XR 37,5 mg - 1 pill - instant adverse reaction

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes indeed @Len189! The gut is considered the second brain and has its own enteric nervous system, if I recall correctly from my physiology class. Serotonin/NE/Dopa receptors are used by the CNS and intestine alike. No doubt it would be affected by AD withdrawal. Also I remember learning in that in Chinese traditional culture, depression is referred to as a physical illness with things like fatigue, stomach pain, etc. Rather than an emotional one. 

Really, to me this process is affirming my wide open understanding that knowledge about the body and the earth can be gathered directly from traditional cultures.

Yeah, it makes total sense. I also remember reading that most of the body's serotonin is produced in the gut.

I get why you are focusing on traditional cultures and why modern/technologically adcanced things are not at all pleasant when you are in a wave. I guess for me this experience emphasizes, among other things, how frail, biological beings we are (although immensely strong and persevering as well) and that modern, supposedly intelligent inventions like AD's can act like a bull in a china shop and wreck so much havoc on our delicate brains.

2014: Paxil 20 mg - 1 year - protracted withdrawal that lasted years

2019: Venlafaxine XR 37,5 mg - 1 pill - instant adverse reaction

Hi Composter-- The waves at certain intervals are ones that happen after a person has made the jump to "0", and are fairly predictable.  While a person is still tapering there can be waves at any time.  They can just happen on their own or can be triggered by a variety of things. They are one of the bothersome aspects of tapering. We have a lot of information on them here: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

No idea why those intervals have been true for me even though I'm not off the drug? It's OK if not; it's been bearable. I'm just curious. I think it's a sign to me that things will finally stabilize and i can continue with my slow taper.

• Administrator

If you are getting withdrawal symptoms that last more than a few days, I would stop tapering for a while, let your nervous system settle down.

• Moderator Emeritus

Definitely, @Altostrata. I've been on 8.5 mg for 6 weeks now and my wave started last week. Going to hold for about another 2 weeks before moving to 8.0 mg. 

I've done a bit more digging on this site re: ketoconazole, because that is a variable I added to my routine last week in the form of a 1-time shampoo application for dandruff. I believe it may have set off my symptoms and I will not be using the product any further.

• Administrator

Have you taken any doses off-schedule?

• Moderator Emeritus

No I have not. I am very consistent and precise with taking my doses and tracking my symptoms on my Glenmullen chart. I write in my chart only when I make dosage changes and experience symptoms. While stabilizing I wrote in it every single day which helped me see the improvements. I take my dose at 6:30 or 7p every night, before eating dinner. I have done this ever since starting the drug.

I do think this wave was caused either by the ketoconazole or simply the CNS making its unpredictable changes. Things were quite strong and normal for me from April 2019 to now, after I stabilized and began my 0.5 mg/month tapers. Only had slight upticks in sleep issues, anxiety, and my head symptoms for 4 days before levelling out. No waves until this past week.

• Mentor

Hey Composter! I hope your wave improves. I wonder if it could be a change in barometric pessure/season related.

Now: 100 mg Zoloft am, 50 mg Trazodone.  Daily drug burden decreased from 2050 in 2018 mg to 150 mg 🐢🐢

Zoloft: 1/24/23 increased to 100 mg after suicide attempt 9/17/22 cut 6 mg, 8/14/22 cut 6.5 mg, 5/7/22 cut 12.5 mg 3/20/22 cut 12.5 mg 10/26/21 cut 6 mg 10/17/21 cut 5 mg, 9/17/21 Cut 3 mg,  9/13/21 cut 4 mg, 8/29/21 Cut 2 mg 8/8/21 Cut 3 mg  7/30/21 Zoloft: Converted 25 mg to liquid. Also take 100 mg pill & 25 mg pill=150 mg total
🌞 Feb 28, 2021 0 mg Gapapentin 2021 Gaba each dose 4x/day: Feb 27 7 mg (one dose only), Feb 10, 7 mg, Jan 14 10 mg 2020 Current taper schedule from Aug 30-present: drop 8 mg every 2-3 weeks. Aug 20 31 mg, Aug 18, 33 mg, July 29, 35 mg, July 23 38 mg, July 22 40 mg Jun 24 42 mg, Jun 15 44 mg, Jun 9 48 mg, May 22 50 mg, May 14 54 mg, May 7 56 mg, Apr 16 58 mg, Mar 28 60 mg, Mar 18 62 mg. Feb 26 64 mg. Feb 19, 66 mg. Jan 23, 70 mg. 2019 Dec 19, 72 mg. Nov 14 ,76 mg. Aug 8, 80 mg. Aug 6, 85 mg. Jul 26, 90 mg. Jul 11, 95 mg.

Jul 16 trazodone from 100 to 50 mg.

Jun 17-July 10 Slowly changed gab fr pill to liquid at same dose 100 mg 4x/d.

Apr 24 Stopped klon!!! 🌞 Apr 4  Decreased gaba to 400 mg (100 mg 4x/day)-Apr 4, 2019   0.25 klon March 11  Klonopin .5 mg twice daily, varied dose til Apr 15. Started Klon fast taper 25%, short use

Mar 16, 450 mg gaba 3x/day cut 600 mg--not exact!--updose after learning w/d

Feb 20, 2019 1800 mg gabapentin; MD taper; off 3 days=mvt disorder & autonomic instability. July 2018 temazepam 15 mg 1-2; prn several x/wk til Jan/Feb 2019 when cold turkey, flu illness for months

July 2018 started gabapentin 100 3x/day; titrated up to 1800 mg (600 3x/day)

Buspar, I forget how much, 2 pills a day Jan 2017-July 2018 cold turkey. On Zoloft since maybe 2004? After trying many.

*I speak from my experience. Nothing I say is medical advice. I'm not a doctor.