Jansin: Zoloft

Jansin

My name is John, I'm 23 years old and I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder in 2013 and was given Zoloft (Sertraline) for treatment, I took 100mg every day for about 4 years until recently I made the decision that I want to be drug-free. So one day either late 2017 or early this year around January I stopped cold turkey and also began tapering off of smoking marijuana. Over the course of this year I felt I began reacting less to everyday life, I began enjoying my hobbies and interests less and less, my short-term memory had declined, and became less and less motivated as the year went on. I attributed this to my chronic cannabis use, only recently have I realized I was horribly wrong.

Come September, I woke up one day noticing that my vision wasn't quite right, not blurry, not doubled, just clear yet foggy at the same time, almost like a see-through field of static. The most notable effects being that lights and computer screens are glowing much more. This triggered what I believe to be my very first encounter with Anxiety. There had been an Elm Beetle infestation on one of the trees in the backyard of my home at the time, so I had begun to think that one of them crawled into my head and died, and the resulting gases and decomposition affected me. That quickly evolved to believing there were multiple bugs inside my head either eating me or laying eggs. I knew this was very unlikely but for some reason I couldn't stop thinking it, so then I googled my vision change, the bug theory immediately flew out the window as my new irrational fear took its place: I was almost sure I was having either a brain aneurysm, stroke, or a brain tumor, and began to panic about dying in my sleep or dying in general for the next week or so. So I cave, finally  I decide to see my Psychiatrist, and after explaining all of my symptoms and fears to him he thought it best to prescribe more Sertraline and also suggested I see a therapist again. I immediately make the earliest possible appointment I could, which happened to be within the next three hours. The way the therapist almost callously dismissed my fears was actually comforting: "I doubt it's an aneurysm, you're more likely to win the lottery." he went on to explain that if I absolutely could not get over these fears that I could simply get my eyes tested, get my head scanned, get my blood tested, etc. and if I continued to worry about an aneurysm or tumor all I needed to do was remind myself: "I'm seeing a professional and we'll figure this out" "I'm eliminating the possibilities." 

I get my eyes checked: 20/20 vision. I get a physical (including a blood draw): Healthy. I was almost frustrated that it wasn't just a simple health issue, almost disappointed to learn that I don't actually need glasses. I just wanted to go and find a fix for this. All the while I had begun taking sertraline again. Got through the first 25mg week, then upped to 50mg (Breaking it in half, taking one half in the morning and the other half at night). I actually noticed a positive change for a bit, the anxiety being gone within the first week (but that was likely due to the advice given by the therapist), and during the second week I was actually in higher spirits, mostly more calm and was even able to crack dumb jokes and laughing felt a little more real. I knew they would work, they worked before and they seemed to be working now... Which is exactly why I stopped again. At some point you just don't want to live the rest of your life worrying about side effects or long term effects on your brain chemistry, at some point you begin to doubt that getting on this pills was ever a good idea in the first place. In 2013 I was in a long distance relationship that was strenuous and not working out. I couldn't accept that, I loved her so much, I believed she was the greatest thing that ever happened to me, the thought of losing her was making me cry and cry every morning and night to the point where I was just sad for most of my time. I foolishly believed I was clinically depressed and almost immediately sought out treatment with drugs. Only after a few sessions with a talk-therapist I was diagnosed (maybe falsely, maybe not) with Major Depressive Disorder and was soon sent to a Psychiatrist. I really liked these people, they really come off as your friend and someone who wants to know you and help you. But I just wish they talk me "SSRI's are a big commitment, try exercise and more talk therapy" or "If you aren't having thoughts of suicide then you shouldn't take them." I was never suicidal in those years, just a bit upset with my life, I really wish they warned me of the side-effects beforehand or at least tried to make me understand that they are quite possibly a lifelong commitment, but no, they gave them to me practically a month after I asked about them. I try not to blame those people, I shouldn't, and I tell myself that it was a mistake that I myself made, a choice that I could've avoided if I wasn't so ignorant to what I was getting into. I could've easily done the research beforehand, or could have simply made the right decision and ended my relationship for the better of my health, but I chose to believe something was wrong with me, something that could just be fixed with a pill. 

Now, 4 years later I experience suicidal thoughts for the first time in my life, I wake up every morning with it weighing over me, invasive, unrelenting, just a sheer violent desperation to escape, to put an end to the pain, the nothingness. I barely hold conversation, and almost always pause mid sentence to gather my thoughts, I sometimes forget information even seconds after receiving it. Happiness just feels... unavailable to me, I only ever feel fear, sadness, and pain. I just want to feel how I used to, I just want to be excited about anything again. I remember my world just lighting up whenever my brother would come home from school every day, I remember the time spent with my friends and loved ones being the best moments of my life. Now it all just feels like a distraction. Now the most I can feel around them is a tiny semblance of peace, just a wick of hope. It's madness, it is an actual living nightmare to be around people you love with all your heart and feel NOTHING, JUST NOTHING.

Please help me, I'm so ready to be my old self again, I'm so ready to just genuinely smile. I miss my brother, I miss him so much and hes right here in the same house with me, hes always been here for me and without him I might be dead, and yet I miss him. We used to stay up hours after midnight just brainstorming about stories, jokes, or even nothing at all. We used to be able to just talk for hours, and now I barely know what to say, now I barely laugh or have any ideas... I am less of who I am and I feel like I lose more and more of me every day.

I've discovered this website just today and have read about brassmonkey's 10% tapering technique. The withdrawal symptoms described here fit all too well with what I'm experiencing. I'm willing to get back 50mg of sertraline if thats the process I need to take on before I can taper off. Someone please make a plan with me, help me save my life, I can't live like this, and I also can't end it.

Please. Please help me.

ADs: 4 years

Sertraline (Zoloft): 2013 to late 2017, 100mg CT. Then September 6th to 20th(2018): 25mg for a week then 50mg, CT.

November 6th, 2018 reinstatement: sertraline 1mg

November 17th, 2018 : sertraline 2mg

2019 - 2020: 1mg Zoloft up to 5mg, increased by 1mg from the month I started

November 2020 to October 2021: 5mg down to 2.5mg, going a bit slower, down by .5 every 2 months.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Jansin: desperate
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jansin and welcome to SA,

To get you started please create your drug signature.  This will appear below each of your posts and makes it easy for us to see your drug history at a glance.  Please update it whenever you make a change.  Please make it nice simple by following these instructions (NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you):

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

If you are taking more than one drug please use the Drug Interactions Checker for all current drugs you are taking and copy and paste the results or a link to them here in your Intro topic.

This is your own Introductions topic where you can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Welcome, Jansin.

Going on and off psychiatric drugs is wearing on the nervous system. People often become hypersensitive to stimuli as well as psychiatric drugs and sometimes even supplements and foods.

It sounds like you might be light-sensitive, perhaps from cold-turkey off Zoloft. Please see

Light-sensitive? Try blocking out blue light

Computer Program Adjusts Blue Light to Time of Day

Light flashes made me sick?

Inactivity may make sympathetic nervous system hypersensitive...

and other topics connected to vision in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum.

On 10/17/2018 at 10:47 PM, Jansin said:

Got through the first 25mg week, then upped to 50mg (Breaking it in half, taking one half in the morning and the other half at night). I actually noticed a positive change for a bit, the anxiety being gone within the first week (but that was likely due to the advice given by the therapist), and during the second week I was actually in higher spirits, mostly more calm and was even able to crack dumb jokes and laughing felt a little more real. I knew they would work, they worked before and they seemed to be working now... Which is exactly why I stopped again.

Did you quit cold turkey again? When was the last time you took Zoloft?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I don't understand, Why would my vision change  almost a year after the first time I CTed?

The last time I took Zoloft had to be around September 20th. I returned to it only for a few weeks after September 6th. Before that I had been CT since atleast December 2017 (could have been earlier I can't remember for the life of me, I never thought it would be important to keep track of)

Whats really eating at me is deciding whether or not I should return to a small dose just to help myself along the recovery process or if I have stayed off too long and just need to tough it out a bit longer.

Sertraline (Zoloft): 2013 to late 2017, 100mg CT. Then September 6th to 20th(2018): 25mg for a week then 50mg, CT.

November 2020 to October 2021: 5mg down to 2.5mg, going a bit slower, down by .5 every 2 months.

• 3 weeks later...

Will my brain still heal itself even if I'm just on a small dose? I was on 100mg for four years, and even after my first CT I had none of the symptoms I read about on here. No brain zaps, no muscle spasms or sensations of any kind, no digestive or weight problems. I was fine for the first 3 or 4 months and then all that happened is I started enjoying my daily activities less and less. And now I can barely concentrate or hold a conversation, Life moves infront of me and my mind barely reacts, I don't know how much worse it's going to get and I've struggled with suicidal thoughts.. My logic is that I can return to a small dose (25mg) to attempt to stabilize myself before tapering the right way. I don't know what to do. I have no imagination anymore and I'm scared that if I keep going like this that my frontal lobe will be permanently damaged. I'm scared.

Hi Jansin,

Everyone’s different, so there are no definitive answers to how long this process takes, much as we all wish there were. But one thing is certain: coming off these drugs too fast is dangerous. It’s really important to go very slowly—no more than 10% of the previous dose per month. Sometimes I have to go slower than that. The brain DOES heal itself, but it takes time. 

I’m sorry you’re suffering. It sounds awful, and is all too familiar. Know that you have company here on this site—people who have been through what you’re going through. For what it’s worth, I’m feeling very similar to what you’re describing. It’s very scary. I can’t concentrate, also feel my imagination is wounded. Life is over there, not where I am. I don’t know if this is withdrawal or the depression returning, but am determined to get off the drug (Paxil, in my case) as part of finding out. It’ll probably take another year—ugh. But I’ve been on psych drugs for 30 years. This is the last one I’m taking.

Does your doctor take your condition seriously? I hope so. And I’m glad your brother is there. Please keep checking in here. All of us try to help each other. Remember you’re not alone. Best, Centime

Long history with many psych drugs beginning in 1987. Went through two too-fast Paxil withdrawals in the past. Ended up in ER both times. I successfully got off Wellbutrin, and (occasional only) Seroquel, Concerta, and Klonopin over six months. Current supplements: multivitamin, probiotic, D3, magnesium, CBD. Current drugs: Ranitidine 300 mg. for acid reflux, Paxil (tapering off).

Paxil Taper History, 2018/2019

Jan.1: 60 mg. May 1: 55 mg. May 13: 50 mg. June 3: 47.5 mg. June 14: 45 mg. June 21: 42.5 mg. July 5: 40 mg. Switched to figuring by weight. 40 mg. = .704 July 22: .686. July 29: .669. August 5: .652. August 12: .635. September 2: 30 mg. October 2: 25 mg. November 2: 22 mg. December 1: 20 mg. January 6: 18 mg. Now using a digital scale and an emery board to taper. January 16: I decided to go back on the drugs after a year of tapering. I’m more depressed than ever, and do not believe it’s withdrawal. Thank you, everyone, for your support, advice, and kindness. Centime.

It's painful, I used to be a creative powerhouse, coming up with ideas/characters/stories on the norm. My deepest regret is that I did not draw/write/draft any of it before all this began. Now all I have is echoes of it all, and every time I try to enter my world again it just slips through my fingers and gives me no satisfaction. Maybe my brain needs the familiar presence of atleast a small dose of this drug so it can get out of this shock. My brother and I used to watch TV shows as our favorite pass-time, now I barely follow along and miss many details constantly. I know he notices it too, but he never says anything about it, he never gives up on me.

I don't know if reinstating this drug is the right choice, but I'm practically housebound like this, I'm debilitated. Even if it takes longer this way I need to try at least some kind of plan.

My psychiatrist cares about me, thought he doesn't seem to believe these drugs are bad at all, claiming that they improve neuroplasticity and the hippocampus region/memory function. Hes mainly pushing for these drugs because I told him I struggled with thoughts of suicide. Hes very open to discussing my concerns about these drugs which is very relieving, keeps telling me that they've closely studied these drugs since they came out which helps me believe they don't do any permanent damage. Either way, he wants me to start with 25mg for a week then 50mg for a week then 100mg until further notice.

I'm not going above 50mg, and I'm going to stay on 25mg for the rest of this year. I am not returning to my old dose. If I'm to take these drugs again, I'm doing it my way. 

I've also been taking Vitamin B complex, Fish oil, Magnesium, and I have salty buttery eggs for breakfast every day. Its my hope that if I hammer my body with brain food every day that I'll heal all the more quickly.

• Moderator Emeritus

You might find this topic helpful:  are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

1 hour ago, Jansin said:

My logic is that I can return to a small dose (25mg) to attempt to stabilize myself before tapering the right way.

Please DO NOT take 25mg.  It will probably be too much for your brain and might make things much worse that they are now.

Zoloft: 2013 to late 2017, 100mg CT. Then September 6th to 20th: 25mg for a week then 50mg, CT.

Please clarify the information in your drug signature because it is confusing and hard to work out what doses you were taking and when.  Please provide the information in this format:

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Zoloft: 2013 to WHAT MONTH? 2017, 100mg CT.

Q:  Did you take 50mg from 6th to 20th and then reduce to 25mg for 1 week?

September 6th to 20th WHAT YEAR?: 25mg for a week then 50mg, CT.

Please read Post #1 of this topic.  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

If you do decide to reinstate it would be best to try a tester dose to see how you respond.  This would be a tiny amount.  Like 0.5mg or 1mg.  Just because you didn't have a bad reaction last time doesn't mean that it will be the same next time.  The effect of psychiatric drugs on your brain is cumulative.

It is better to start with a small amount and increase gradually by small amounts than to risk taking too much and destabilising your nervous system.  Once this happens it may take a long time to improve, and some members never manage to stabilise.  So caution and patience is necessary.

Edited by ChessieCat

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus
8 minutes ago, Jansin said:

Vitamin B complex

Vitamin B6 can be activating.  vitamin-b6

hypersensitive-to-b-vitamin-or-b-vitamin-complex

Edited by ChessieCat

• Moderator Emeritus
On 10/21/2018 at 6:30 AM, Jansin said:

I don't understand, Why would my vision change  almost a year after the first time I CTed?

Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are trying to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were trying to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and trying to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while life is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made.  

On 10/20/2018 at 1:30 PM, Jansin said:

The last time I took Zoloft had to be around September 20th. I returned to it only for a few weeks after September 6th. Before that I had been CT since atleast December 2017 (could have been earlier I can't remember for the life of me, I never thought it would be important to keep track of)

I couldn't tell you what month it was (in 2017) even if I wanted to. I do not remember, I went through a bad breakup that year and I could've quit anytime between August 2017 - December 2017. I did not understand the importance of keeping track of these things. I just stopped one day and that was it. 

What should I do? Everyone around me thinks I should reinstate, they wont understand if I decide to go on with life like this. Have I been CT for too long to reinstate?

My body hasn't "Had it right" for a single day over any of these past 5 months. I can't even think of the last time I was excited to do something. Music comes on from the radio when I drive and I feel literally no reaction, that feeling that washes over you when you're about to hear the lyrics and instruments you love: Gone.  I feel nothing, nothing but hopelessness.

How would I properly measure 1mg from a 50mg tablet?

• Moderator Emeritus

Then September 6th to 20th(2018): 25mg for a week then 50mg, CT.

Q:  How long did you take 50mg for?

Q:  How did you feel when you were taking 25mg?

• Moderator Emeritus
12 minutes ago, Jansin said:

How would I properly measure 1mg from a 50mg tablet?

You can dissolve a 50mg tablet in 50mL of water.  Each 1mL of liquid will equal 1mg dose.  It will keep in the fridge (covered) for a few days.

Always use the same tools and the same method to keep everything and consistent as possible.

Edited by ChessieCat

• Moderator Emeritus

If I start with a liquid dose and gradually increase to 25mg how often should I increase the dose?

• Moderator Emeritus

You would start with a small tester dose 0.5mg or 1mg.  If after about 4 days nothing worsens that is a good sign.  You will need to keep daily symptom notes on paper to see how reinstating the tester dose affects you.  It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  I think it would be best to give the starting dose 1 week.  You might find that the small dose helps and is enough.  When you reinstated before you started at 25mg which is too much.  Remember that these drugs are strong.  And your brain has already made some adaptations since being off.

What is important to realise is that the term "therapeutic dose" is an arbitrary phrase which the pharmaceutical companies use and of course they teach that to the doctors so the doctors also use that term.  It is better to think about "lowest effective dose".    I doubt very much that you will need to increase to 25mg at all.  You might find that 1mg or 2mg helps.

The idea of reinstating isn't to get rid of withdrawal symptoms completely.  The idea is to bring the symptoms to a bearable level.  If after 1 week you find that the symptoms are still unbearable then you could increase by another 1mg and give that 1 week.  You will need to be patient and not panic during this time and increase by too much.  Some members panic and increase their dose too much and end up worse.  You might find that a very low dose is enough.  You might find that you need a little bit more.  You will have to listen to your body and keep notes, because it is hard to assess our improvements from memory.

I dont really have any physical withdrawal symptoms (other than slight vision change), it's all mental, my processing my memory.. Could it help those too?

• Moderator Emeritus

We can experience a wide variety of withdrawal symptoms, physical, emotional, digestive, cognitive, etc.

When I reduced my Pristiq from 100mg to 50mg, I experienced extreme cog fog for 3 weeks (even walking took my full concentration) and got to the stage that I was unable to type.  I've been a professional typist for 40+ years so I had a benchmark and knew that something was wrong.  I took extra Pristiq and after about 4 hours I was able to type again and the cog fog was clearing.

Now I realise that my situation is different from yours, but  I have told you about it because I think it might help you to understand how these drugs can affect us and what a hard time the brain has when the drug is ripped away from it.

Even though you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms, and I understand that they are annoying and it can be frustrating and feels like it is not happening or happening quickly enough, it seems from what you are telling us here, that they are bearable.  It's going to take time for your brain to regain homeostasis or factory settings which is what the brain is always trying to do.

You have a choice, either provide your brain and nervous system a healthy and as calm an environment as you can and allow it to heal with time, or to reinstate a small amount of the Zoloft and see if that helps.  It may be that your brain needs a very tiny amount of drug.  We don't know which is the better way to go.

Unfortunately it is a decision that only you can make.  Nobody knows how things will go for you either way.

You might want to consider trying Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil.  They are the only 2 supplements which SA recommends.  Try a small amount of them 1 at a time to see how you react.  Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

I take fish oils, Magnesium, Vitamin B Stress Complex (which is Vitamin C 500mg, Vitamin E 13.5mg, Thiamin 10mg, Riboflavin 10mg, Niacin 100mg, Vitamin B6 5mg, Folate 667mcg, Vitamin B12 12mcg, Biotin 45 mcg, Panthothenic Acid 20mg, Zinc 23.9mg, and Copper 3mg)

Iodine

Alpha GPC which is supposed to produce Acetylcholine

and L-Tyrosine.

I WAS taking 5-HTP but stopped two days ago since I'm considering reinstatement

• Moderator Emeritus

Magnesium works best if taken throughout the day.

The trouble with taking a cocktail of things is that if something is causing a problem you don't know what it is.

26 minutes ago, Jansin said:

Alpha GPC which is supposed to produce Acetylcholine

And I found this when I researched.  Some of the symptoms of high acetylcholine from http://mindrenewal.us/page13.html

• Subdued or depressed mood
  • Anhedonia (inability to experience pleasure)
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Difficulty with higher-order or complex thought processes
  • Mental fatigue
  • Mental confusion
  • Memory problems
  • Decreased motivation

and others are listed.

You might want to consider stopping the Alpha GPC and seeing if you notice a difference.  

htp-5-hydroxytryptophan-and-l-tryptophan

Vit B6 can be activating.  hypersensitive-to-b-vitamin-or-b-vitamin-complex

be-careful-with-l-tyrosine

Edited by ChessieCat

Magnesium throughout the day? Even if its a 250mg?

I'll try stopping with the Alpha GPC, Not sure its helping anyway. Was mostly troubleshooting to see if anything could help me.

• Moderator Emeritus
5 minutes ago, Jansin said:

Magnesium throughout the day? Even if its a 250mg?

On 10/8/2011 at 6:22 AM, Altostrata said:

NOTE: Magnesium is more effective taken in divided doses throughout the day. There's no need to take one large daily dose, you'll absorb it poorly. You might find you can take 50mg or 100mg magnesium 4 times a day or so and it will help you relax.

• Administrator

Jansin, it could be that a very small dose of sertraline, 5mg or less, will reduce some of those symptoms. You may be able to get the prescription liquid.

These drugs typically blunt emotions, and emotional anesthesia can also be a result of going off the drug too fast.

Otherwise, healing will be very slow and gradual. Your choice if you want to try reinstatement. You'd taper off by miniscule amounts later.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

would dissolving the tablets and measuring by mL be the same?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jansin,

It depends on how much water you dissolve the tablet in. 

For example if you used a 25 mg(milligram) tablet dissolved in 25 mL(millileter) of water you would have then:  a concentration of 1 milligram to 1 millileter.

It would be different if you used a different amount of water to dissolve it in.

I think 25 mL would be a good amount to dissolve your Sertraline in.

The other, prescription liquid, in the Tips for tapering off Zoloft(sertraline), if you look at the first post there, comes in a 20 mg per each 1 mL solution.  So then your 5 mg dose would only be 0.25 mL.  Do you follow?  I divided 5 by 20 to figure that out.

I pulled out this portion from the link, on using the Zoloft prescription liquid concentration.  You would then need to dilute it further.

Use Zoloft liquid concentrate to taper
http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?id=52077:

Zoloft oral concentrate is available in a multidose 60 mL bottle. Each mL of solution contains sertraline hydrochloride equivalent to 20 mg of sertraline. The solution contains the following inactive ingredients: glycerin, alcohol (12%), menthol, butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT).

From http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a697048.html

Sertraline concentrate must be diluted before use. Immediately before taking it, use the provided dropper to remove the amount of concentrate your doctor has told you to take. Mix the concentrate with 4 ounces (1/2 cup [120 milliliters]) of water, ginger ale, lemon or lime soda, lemonade, or orange juice. Do not mix the concentrate with any liquids other than the ones listed. Drink immediately.

I hope that answers your question.  And just ask, Jansin.....if still confused.  Once you decide if you'd like to reinstate.  Okay?

Best,

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
clarity

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus
23 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

You would start with a small tester dose 0.5mg or 1mg.  If after about 4 days nothing worsens that is a good sign.  You will need to keep daily symptom notes on paper to see how reinstating the tester dose affects you.  It takes about 4 days for a dose change to get to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  I think it would be best to give the starting dose 1 week.  You might find that the small dose helps and is enough.  When you reinstated before you started at 25mg which is too much.  Remember that these drugs are strong.  And your brain has already made some adaptations since being off.

And okay.....ChessieCat's suggestion is sound too.  You could try even less than a 5 mg reinstatement.  That way you'd be being cautious too.  If no worsening you could go up just a bit more, after the tester dose.

How are you today?

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

I'm doing okay, I've been panicking and breaking down here and there but I keep trying. I keep struggling with the thought of my mind never recovering, and it really scares me. But every time I read my MRI results from Kaiser or read "The brain does heal" on this website it always keeps my hope alive. But honestly sometimes I wish I could just stay asleep until my body is done with repairs.

Jasmin I am going Through the same thing as you I just joined this forum today .. I’ve been off for 4 months and my symptoms are through the roof with anxiety and panic I’ve never had this before .. I’m thinking of restarting again with a small dose I used 100 mg  .. how long were you off before you reinstated the medication?

Zoloft around 3 years 100mg .. I can’t remember the start date but it was discontinued in July of 2018

I reinstated briefly in September for about 2-3 weeks then CT'ed again. I quit my 100mg sometime late 2017 (can't remember which month) Strangely though, I did not experience a single physical symptom until September 2018 (vision change). I was even working as a dishwasher for several months after my 2017 CT. I've only experienced worsening depression and memory/cognitive problems, with some anxiety here and there. I'm still off the meds right now.

Edited by Jansin

I’m sorry for what you’re going through. I’m kind of new to the terminology Can you tell me what  ct stands for I read your original post I’m not familiar.

Zoloft around 3 years 100mg .. I can’t remember the start date but it was discontinued in July of 2018

Cold Turkey

Quitting the drug in a day instead of weening off little by little

I’m sorry .. I’m out of sorts I should have known that .. that’s exactly what I did . I’m off 4 months I’m just trying to see if I should reinstate or push this but this out of no where anxiety I’m having is unreal. I kept reading posts about this and kept saying well I don’t have that symptom .. then bam out of know where it showed up . 

since youre only 4 months out it may be a good idea for you but I wouldn't know any better, I don't know your situation. I was off for almost a year before I woke up one day and my vision was different, then boom, full blown anxiety attacks. I thought I was having an aneurysm or stroke and at one point even thought bugs were eating my brain, it was unreal how much I panicked and came up with crazy explanations.

I've dissolved 25mg of a tablet into 25mL of water and have begun reinstatement today.

Will the liquid solution retain its potency if refrigerated?

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/5/2018 at 10:38 AM, ChessieCat said:

It will keep in the fridge (covered) for a few days.

Please update your drug signature with the date and dose.  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

And keep daily notes on paper of your symptoms.

Edited by ChessieCat