Jansin: Zoloft

Jansin

Why is my mind so lost to me? Is something happening to my frontal lobe?

ADs: 4 years

Sertraline (Zoloft): 2013 to late 2017, 100mg CT. Then September 6th to 20th(2018): 25mg for a week then 50mg, CT.

November 6th, 2018 reinstatement: sertraline 1mg

November 17th, 2018 : sertraline 2mg

2019 - 2020: 1mg Zoloft up to 5mg, increased by 1mg from the month I started

November 2020 to October 2021: 5mg down to 2.5mg, going a bit slower, down by .5 every 2 months.

I'm already struggling with my decision, I'm so scared of these drugs and worry that they'll slow the healing process that's already begun. Its so hard, its so hard when everyone in my life thinks I should just give the medication another try. I could live with all of this if I just knew for sure that I'll heal. I've been off this damn drug for almost a year if you don't count the two weeks in September, I just want to believe that I'll make a full recovery but it's very difficult, I look at myself in the mirror and I can swear I look different, I cant stop thinking that my brow is moving down or something. I know its anxiety but it freaks me out..

I just can't stop thinking that my brain is dying and the meds will make it worse.

Sertraline (Zoloft): 2013 to late 2017, 100mg CT. Then September 6th to 20th(2018): 25mg for a week then 50mg, CT.

November 2020 to October 2021: 5mg down to 2.5mg, going a bit slower, down by .5 every 2 months.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/6/2018 at 7:28 PM, ChessieCat said:

And keep daily notes on paper of your symptoms.

Hi Jansin,

Give the daily notes a try please.  Note the date.  Time on the left followed by drug, dosage, symptoms, any supplements taken, and sleep.

Here's a link with a sample note:  daily drug and symptom log

Then post a day or two right here on your introduction page.

That will give us a more objective view of how it is going.

Your last post is really similar to what you were reporting on Monday, before the reinstatement of 1 mg of sertraline.  And your up to day 4-5 now of that.  So you may see some improvement soon.  As long as you have not worsened considerably with symptoms........this may still work.

As I said, the logs will help us to see objectively, a little bit clearer, so we can offer you further suggestions.

I believe you will heal.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Haven't noticed much difference other than having some trouble staying asleep.

Had a really bad anxiety breakdown the other day (November 9th) but I can't be sure if that was the meds.

Tomorrow marks when I should updose to 2mg/mL.

Still struggling with this decision.. I don't know what path is right for me, but I'll keep getting through each day

Edited by Jansin
date

should i just stick to increasing by 1mg every week? whats the highest i can go while staying on the safe side?

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/9/2018 at 7:05 PM, manymoretodays said:

Give the daily notes a try please.  Note the date.  Time on the left followed by drug, dosage, symptoms, any supplements taken, and sleep.

Here's a link with a sample note:  daily drug and symptom log

Then post a day or two right here on your introduction page.

That will give us a more objective view of how it is going.

We really need these daily symptoms notes so we can assess how reinstatement is going and whether you might need to increase your dose by a tiny amount.   Once we have about 3 days of notes, we will be better able to offer suggestions about what to do.

This is an example of what we need to see:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Please read

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

On 11/4/2018 at 5:15 PM, Jansin said:

I take fish oils, Magnesium, Vitamin B Stress Complex (which is Vitamin C 500mg, Vitamin E 13.5mg, Thiamin 10mg, Riboflavin 10mg, Niacin 100mg, Vitamin B6 5mg, Folate 667mcg, Vitamin B12 12mcg, Biotin 45 mcg, Panthothenic Acid 20mg, Zinc 23.9mg, and Copper 3mg)

Iodine

Alpha GPC which is supposed to produce Acetylcholine

and L-Tyrosine.

I WAS taking 5-HTP but stopped two days ago since I'm considering reinstatement

Why are you taking all of these B vitamins? What time of day do you take them? Do you feel any different afterwards?

3 hours ago, Jansin said:

Haven't noticed much difference other than having some trouble staying asleep.

Had a really bad anxiety breakdown the other day (November 9th) but I can't be sure if that was the meds.

Tomorrow marks when I should updose to 2mg/mL.

Still struggling with this decision.. I don't know what path is right for me, but I'll keep getting through each day

What time of day do you take Zoloft? Do you feel better, worse, or the same after? We need to see your symptom pattern before and after you take your drugs and that batch of supplements.

What do you mean by an "anxiety breakdown"? What time of day did that happen?

Is your sleep worse since you reinstated? What is your sleep pattern? Please include all of this in your daily notes, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Jansin: Zoloft
On 11/4/2018 at 11:27 PM, Jansin said:

I'm not going above 50mg, and I'm going to stay on 25mg for the rest of this year. I am not returning to my old dose. If I'm to take these drugs again, I'm doing it my way. 

I've also been taking Vitamin B complex, Fish oil, Magnesium, and I have salty buttery eggs for breakfast every day. Its my hope that if I hammer my body with brain food every day that I'll heal all the more quickly.

@Jansin welcome and hope you feel a little better on short notice. Taking control yourself is always a good thing to do.

You might also want to drink enough water to help your liver process all drugs and supplements. Especially when you're eating salty.

Let people on this website, who have developed lots of experience, advice you about the drug taper.

Thinking about possible diseases doesn't help you calm. Try to have faith. These thoughts are most propably caused by your current withdrawal and the anxiety that evokes. Too often we suffer most sorely and thereby feel most poorly, from dreaded aches and pains.

Don't feel too much shame towards your brother, try to focus on recovery. You could perhaps let him know you're currently getting some online help.

Several things you've described I've more or less experienced myself; not being able to think clear, short term memory issues, visual problems, difficulties understanding sentences. Avoiding social conversations. Those seem like typical (heavy) withdrawal symptoms. All those can seem such real physical illness, that are here to stay, and then few days/weeks later they can be gone as simple as that. Your CNS (central nerve system) can cause symptoms like this when it's disturbed. It's like a slot you turn off and on again.

Taking weed will in general not be helpful to thinking clearly, it might also cause anxiety disorder. But I suppose you know. 

Have faith

• 45 years old male
  • job in spatial planning
  • into sports, animals and nature
  • Started using 20 mg Paroxetine (Paxil) in 2004 for stressrelated anxiety/depression
  • Attempted several times to stop, starting a few years after 2004
  • Found out in 2015 about paxil withdrawal symptoms and the 5-10% taper guideline
  • Started using liquid paxil in 2015/2016
  • 2018 --> 11.2 mg of paxil
  • 2019-2023 developed severe food- and other sensitivities (anti imflammatory, anti oxidant, food colourings, oils, herbs, chemicals etc.)
  • 12/2023 Poop-out/tolerance, introducing brassmonkey slide method 0.1mg/week
  • 26/1/2024 10 mg (journey halfway).
5 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

We really need these daily symptoms notes so we can assess how reinstatement is going and whether you might need to increase your dose by a tiny amount.   Once we have about 3 days of notes, we will be better able to offer suggestions about what to do.

I will give a more detailed report with times, dosage, and symptoms tomorrow

4 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Please read

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Why are you taking all of these B vitamins? What time of day do you take them? Do you feel any different afterwards?

What time of day do you take Zoloft? Do you feel better, worse, or the same after? We need to see your symptom pattern before and after you take your drugs and that batch of supplements.

What do you mean by an "anxiety breakdown"? What time of day did that happen?

Is your sleep worse since you reinstated? What is your sleep pattern? Please include all of this in your daily notes, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right.

B Vitamins: I initially purchased the B vitamins along with many other supplements to troubleshoot if I simply had a deficiency somewhere, this is obviously not the case anymore and I don't take this one (Stress Complex) that much anymore

Zoloft: I take Zoloft in the morning after breakfast

Anxiety Breakdown: By anxiety breakdown I just mean I was freaking out and crying mostly, being scared of never getting better, even screamed into my pillow a few times out of terror

Sleep: It may be worse since I reinstated, but I still get a fair amount of sleep.

I just had a look at What is happening in your brain? and I have to ask: Wouldn't reinstating just complicate the process? Wouldn't I just be better of taking 5htp and GABA supplements if all I need is time? But at the same time I'm thinking since I CT'ed my brain is struggling to make these repairs at a reasonable time, and needs the drug again before it can work on homeostasis. This gives me so much pause, what do you think I should do? When I CT'ed, I experienced no physical symptoms for almost a year.

It's my concern that reinstating this drug may just make things worse. But at the same time I CT'ed before my brain could make proper adjustments, so this could also be the right way to go... What are your thoughts on this?

3 hours ago, Sebas said:

@Jansin welcome and hope you feel a little better on short notice. Taking control yourself is always a good thing to do.

You might also want to drink enough water to help your liver process all drugs and supplements. Especially when you're eating salty.

Let people on this website, who have developed lots of experience, advice you about the drug taper.

Thinking about possible diseases doesn't help you calm. Try to have faith. These thoughts are most propably caused by your current withdrawal and the anxiety that evokes. Too often we suffer most sorely and thereby feel most poorly, from dreaded aches and pains.

Don't feel too much shame towards your brother, try to focus on recovery. You could perhaps let him know you're currently getting some online help.

Several things you've described I've more or less experienced myself; not being able to think clear, short term memory issues, visual problems, difficulties understanding sentences. Avoiding social conversations. Those seem like typical (heavy) withdrawal symptoms. All those can seem such real physical illness, that are here to stay, and then few days/weeks later they can be gone as simple as that. Your CNS (central nerve system) can cause symptoms like this when it's disturbed. It's like a slot you turn off and on again.

Taking weed will in general not be helpful to thinking clearly, it might also cause anxiety disorder. But I suppose you know. 

Have faith

I drink a ton of water daily, I do my best to remind myself that time will heal me but it's hard.

I don't feel shame towards my brother, I long for the old connection and relationship we had its true.. but he keeps me sane, hes the best part of my day every day, and I may not be here without him, and he knows about this site and knows what I'm going through.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone.. but my god.. I want my mind back so bad, SO bad.. It's truly terrifying.

I haven't smoked weed since September.

From everything I've read it seems as though reinstatement may be a waste of my time.

I am experiencing no physical symptoms other than vision change and minor tinnitus, the bulk of my withdrawal symptoms are of my mind and it seems like everyone deals with the depressive-anxiety and memory/cognitive issues either way.

I may be better off tapering down and continuing drug-free. Let me know what you all think, if I do not receive a reply by tonight I will continue my reinstatement at a normal pace to be safe.

Thank you and good luck to you all.

• Moderator Emeritus

My suggestion is to provide 3 days of symptoms diary BEFORE changing anything.  That way the mods can assess the situation you are in currently.  If you change anything now it will be another week or so before suggestions could be made.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Alright, I will stay on 1mL and provide the proper notes when they are ready.

Thank you.

• Administrator
16 hours ago, Jansin said:

Anxiety Breakdown: By anxiety breakdown I just mean I was freaking out and crying mostly, being scared of never getting better, even screamed into my pillow a few times out of terror

To the extent you may be adding to your symptoms by worrying about the future, strongly recommend you manage this, if it is a tendency. Recovery is slow and frustrating. You may see many setbacks. You will need to surf the waves.

16 hours ago, Jansin said:

But at the same time I'm thinking since I CT'ed my brain is struggling to make these repairs at a reasonable time, and needs the drug again before it can work on homeostasis. This gives me so much pause, what do you think I should do? When I CT'ed, I experienced no physical symptoms for almost a year.

It's my concern that reinstating this drug may just make things worse. But at the same time I CT'ed before my brain could make proper adjustments, so this could also be the right way to go... What are your thoughts on this?

Yes, we are thinking reinstating a tiny amount of the drug might be a crutch for a return to normal homeostasis. You will taper off it by miniscule amounts later. We don't know what will happen, that's why we want to see your daily notes.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

SA strongly encourages members to learn and use non drug coping techniques.  And they are useful life tools too.

One thing that is good to learn about is second fear.  It is what happens when you feel physical and emotional things in your body but because you don't understand them you get scared and then the body starts producing more feelings (physical and emotional) and it escalates into a full blown panic attack.  If you learn to recognise the signs when it starts you can use deep breathing or another non drug technique to stop yourself from adding the second fear.  I have used this on several occasions in the last few years and it really does work.

The following are things you can try:

On 4/28/2017 at 4:03 AM, brassmonkey said:

AAF: Acknowledge, Accept, Float.  It's what you have to do when nothing else works, and can be a very powerful tool in coping with anxiety. The neuroemotional anxiety many of us feel during WD is directly caused by the drugs and their chemical reactions in the brain.  Making it so there is nothing we can do about them.  They won't respond to other drugs, relaxation techniques and the like.  They do, however, react very well to being ignored.  That's the concept behind AAF.  Acknowledge, get to know the feeling involved, explore them.  Accept, These feelings are a part of you and they aren't going anywhere fast. Float, let the feeling float off as you get on with your life as best as you can.  It's a well documented fact that the more you feed in to anxiety the worse it gets.  What starts as generalized neuroemotinal anxiety can be easily blown into a full fledged panic attack just by thinking about it.

I often liken it to an unwanted house guest.  At first you talk to them, have conversations, communicate with them.  After a while you figure out that they aren't leaving and there is nothing you can do to get rid of them.  So you go on about your day, working around them until they get bored and leave.

It can take some practice, but AAF really does work.  I hope you give it a try.

Non-drug techniques to cope

dealing-with-emotional-spirals

Dr Claire Weekes suffered from anxiety and learned and taught ways of coping.  There are videos available on YouTube.

Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for anxiety, depression

Audio:  First Aid for Panic (4 minutes)

Resources:  Centre for Clinical Interventions (PDF modules that you can work through, eg:  Depression, Distress Intolerance, Health Anxiety, Low Self-Esteem, Panic Attacks, Perfectionism, Procrastination, Social Anxiety, Worrying)

Video:  Experiential Avoidance (4 minutes)

Video:  EMDR - Balloon

I really don't want these drugs anymore.. I really don't I feel gross taking them I just don't want them in my body anymore but I'm so scared my brain is too confused and struggling too much to repair things I'm so scared it will never fix me I wish I didn't CT ever I regret it every day

Nov.13th: 

• 4:00 AM: Woke up with minor anxiety, then fell back asleep
  • 7:00 AM: Woke up briefly, then fell back asleep
  • 8:30 AM: Got out of bed, made breakfast
  • 9:00 AM: Watch TV with Brother
  • 10:00 AM: Sertraline 1mL
  • 10:50 AM: Went for a walk with Brother. Anxious thoughts and crying
  • 11:30 AM: Got ready for therapy
  • 12:00 AM: Left house for therapy
  • 12:45 AM: Therapy
  • 1:30 PM: Left therapy and went grocery shopping. VERY tired, and a minor headache
  • 3:41 PM: Got home, put away groceries and begun chores
  • 4:00 PM: Did laundry
  • 4:30 PM: Heavy crying
  • 5:30 PM: Ate a big dinner
  • 9:30 PM: Wind down for bed
  • 11:00 PM: Went to sleep

Nov. 14th:

• 4:00 AM: Wake up with minor anxiety
  • 5:00 AM: Fell back asleep
  • 7:00 AM: Woke up
  • 8:00 AM: Made breakfast
  • 8:40 AM: Ate breakfast
  • 9:00 AM: Sertraline 1mL
  • 10:00 AM: Spent time with brother
  • 11:00 AM: Went for a walk
  • 11:40 AM: Wrote in journal. Feeling hopeless
  • 12:00 PM: Watched TV with Brother
  • 2:00 PM: Lunch
  • Had a good rest of the day with no notable symptoms
  • 10:30 PM: Went to bed

Nov. 15th:

• 5:00 AM: Woke up with anxiety
  • 7:30 AM: Got up and made breakfast
  • 8:25: AM: Sertraline 1mL
  • 8:50: AM: Left for Psychiatry appointment
  • 11:00 AM: Got home, had lunch
  • 1:11 PM: Took the dogs for a walk
  • 1:55 PM: Got home. Very tired
  • 2:05 PM: Watch TV with friend
  • 3:00 PM : Played video games with Brother
  • 4:30 PM: Went out to get dinner
  • 5:00 PM: Ate dinner
  • 7:45 PM: Went out with brother to run an errand
  • 8:30 PM: Get home.
  • 9:30 PM: Watch TV with friend
  • 10:00 PM: Magnesium 250mg
  • 11:00 PM: Went to bed.

3 hours ago, Jansin said:

I really don't want these drugs anymore.. I really don't I feel gross taking them I just don't want them in my body anymore but I'm so scared my brain is too confused and struggling too much to repair things I'm so scared it will never fix me I wish I didn't CT ever I regret it every day

Being motivated to be drugfree is a good thing! However in a way that gives your body and mind time to adjust and cope. This is something you've got to accept.

Being scared (twice) and having regret, allthough I understand, most likely cause negative energy (stress, fatigue). And therefore are not beneficial to your wellbeing. Focus on midterm goals, look forward instead of backward. In my personal situation, I must also be very aware of my own thoughts, cause they sometimes make withdrawal symptoms worse.

In my personal opinion, your days seem structured, you've got distraction, you've got therapy, you're going outside and nov 14th. should be a anchor, you had a pretty long period with no notable symptoms then.  Please let more experienced members advice you about further steps.

🍀🍀

• 45 years old male
  • Started using 20 mg Paroxetine (Paxil) in 2004 for stressrelated anxiety/depression
  • Found out in 2015 about paxil withdrawal symptoms and the 5-10% taper guideline
  • 2019-2023 developed severe food- and other sensitivities (anti imflammatory, anti oxidant, food colourings, oils, herbs, chemicals etc.)
  • Administrator

Jansin, how much Zoloft is in the 1mL liquid you're taking?

Do you feel better or worse after you take it?

Please take your drugs at the same time each day. Variation may cause symptoms.

1mg is in the 1mL

I've had sleep issues since I started with it

and more crying episodes lately aswell

• Administrator

How did it affect your sleep?

Waking up much earlier than usual feeling tired still but cant fall back asleep

• Administrator

You are taking 1mg sertraline rather irregularly. Can you take it every day at 8:30 a.m. and post your daily notes for several more days?

This will make it clearer what the effect of 1mg sertraline might be.

Since you started 1mg sertraline, has anything gotten better?

Not really, I've been more anxious lately and everyone is pushing for me to start on 12.5mg and do my treatment again. My psychiatrist even prescribed clonazepam 0.5 to take with the meds so i can get over my anxiety and fear of them

• Administrator

Please do not take clonazepam. It is a pernicious drug. 12.5mg might be too much for you.

If 1mg sertraline has had no effect, it might be too low a dose. How about trying 2mg? You can get there by increasing to 1.5mg if that feels safer. Please let us know how you're doing.

The idea is to take just enough to stop withdrawal symptoms, stabilize, then taper off by tiny amounts. Very few physicians would understand this.

You might tell your relatives you'll make your own decisions.

Are my major depression and health anxiety really just withdrawal? I haven't undergone any sort of physical symptoms it's all brain fog, confusion and loss of creativity and happiness. I don't know that reinstatement will alleviate my symptoms, as they are all of the mind. 

Did I damage my brain as a result of my CT? I'm worried my prefrontal cortex has been negatively affected..

Another question, If I have a bad reaction to 2mg do I go back to 1mg or just stop?

• Administrator

Cold turkey is a high-risk way of going off psychiatric drugs.

What you've described is withdrawal syndrome. Recovery is going to be very gradual.

If you get a bad reaction to 2mg, you can go back to 1mg.

See What is withdrawal syndrome?

Are We There Yet? How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?

"Is it always going to be like this?"

Protracted Withdrawal or PAWS (post-acute withdrawal syndrome)

What does healing from withdrawal syndrome feel like?

Withdrawal dialogues & encouragement

Some days it really feels like I have permanent brain damage, I'm really glad I found this site that tells me otherwise.

Is it possible reinstatement can make my recovery any faster?

On 11/18/2018 at 12:25 AM, Jansin said:

Are my major depression and health anxiety really just withdrawal? I haven't undergone any sort of physical symptoms it's all brain fog, confusion and loss of creativity and happiness. I don't know that reinstatement will alleviate my symptoms, as they are all of the mind. 

Did I damage my brain as a result of my CT? I'm worried my prefrontal cortex has been negatively affected..

@John it's typical for someone with anxiety issues (in general) to have these thoughts. Withdrawal symptoms can seem like real health issues, they are actually, difference is they are temporary. CT has caused confusion of the nerve system, it must recover itself, and best (less harmless from a long term view) path to walk is reinstate at small dose (1 mg or 1,5 /2 mg as suggested). From here follow further advice.

I reinstated with just 0,1 ml recently, it took me about a week to notice change (a more balanced mind), it also causes light side effects (which occur in any general circumstance due to drug addition).

Be aware that any feeling of doubt, being scared about brain damage, being afraid of possible long term health problems  are not helpful to feal more calm.

I know it's easier said than done. Have faith.

• 45 years old male

I guess what really has me concerned is I haven't had any physical symptoms or brain zaps or anything like that, I haven't noticed any sensitivities to foods or drinks either, My body feels pretty normal other than my eyesight and a bit of tinnitus.

It just makes me think "If I'm not having many symptoms, then my body isn't making changes or healing."

But I have to believe that my severe mental decline has to mean that my brain is working on adapting

On 11/17/2018 at 6:04 PM, Altostrata said:

Cold turkey is a high-risk way of going off psychiatric drugs.

What exactly am I risking?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Jansin. I read through your thread and I'm sorry you're in such distress. This is really scary stuff! I was on Zoloft for over 25 years (plus some other drugs including benzos) and I've been going through the process of getting off very slowly. I tried to get off too quickly and experienced tons of crazy symptoms, including what it sounds like you are experiencing. Everyone is different and there are no uniform answers on what a withdrawal process will look like for anyone. But what's clear to me is that these drugs are indeed very powerful, but the ability for each of us to heal is MORE powerful. You've been courageous and tenacious, so kudos to you. Know that you aren't alone in this process . . .

My suggestions are not medical advice. They are my opinions based on my own experience, strength and hope.

You are in charge of your own medical / healing / recovery choices.

My success story |  My introduction thread

ZOLOFT FREE - COMPLETELY DRUG FREE 4/28/2019! - total time on 28+ years

BENZO FREE! 4/7/2018 - total time on 27+ years

REMERON FREE! 12/11/2016 - total time on 15 months

Caffeine & Nicotine Free 2014 / 2015 - smoked for 28 years

Alcohol Free 4/1/2014 - drank for 30 years

Nov. 17th: 

• 8:30 PM: Sertraline 2mg
  • 9:00 PM: TV with brother and friends
  • 12:50 AM: Sleep

Nov. 18th

• 4:00 AM: Woke up, turned off computer screen then went back to bed
  • 7:00 AM: Woke up anxious and restless, laid in bed until 9 am
  • 9:00 AM: Made breakfast
  • 9:30 AM: Ate breakfast
  • 10:30 AM: went for a walk
  • 11:38 AM: Got home
  • 12:00 PM: TV
  • 2:30 PM: Went for another walk with dad
  • 3:00 PM: Did all the dishes. Minor headache/tense sensation in brow region
  • 3:30 PM: Bob Ross. Very tired, falling asleep in chair
  • 3:37 PM: Went out to get groceries 
  • 4:30 PM: Got home put groceries away
  • 4:33 PM: Bob Ross
  • 6:30 PM: TV with brother
  • 8:30 PM: Sertraline 2mg
  • 9:00 PM: Minor headache
  • 11:00 PM: Sleep
Nov. 19th
  • 4:00 AM: Woke up with anxiety, then fell back asleep
  • 8:00 AM: Breakfast
  • 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM : Group Therapy
  • 12:50 PM: TV
  • 3:00 PM: Games with Brother
  • 6:00 PM: Dinner
  • 7:07 PM: TV
  • 8:00 PM: Sertraline 2mg
  • 11:00 PM: Sleep

Nov. 20th

• 2:00 AM: Woke with anxiety, went back to bed
  • 5:00 AM: Woke with anxiety, stayed in bed restless
  • 8:00 AM: Got up, made breakfast
  • 9:00 AM: Ate breakfast
  • 10:00 AM: Games with Brother
  • 1:30 PM: TV
  • 3:40 PM: Walked the dogs
  • 4:30 PM: Got home. Heavy crying and anxiety
  • 5:41 PM: Shower
  • 6:00 PM: Talked with family
  • 7:00 PM: Dinner
  • 8:20 PM: Sertraline 2mg
  • 10:00 PM: Sleep

Nov. 21st

• 2:00 AM: Woke up, turned off screen, then went back to bed
  • 4:00 AM: Woke up, went back to sleep
  • 8:00 AM: Ate breakfast
  • 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Group therapy
  • 12:08 PM: Went out for lunch with mom
  • 1:00 PM: Got home. Light crying and anxiety
  • 1:30 PM: Went for a walk
  • 2:00 PM: Got home. watched TV with brother
  • 5:00 PM: Bob Ross
  • 7:00 PM: Watched TV with mom
  • 8:00 PM: Sertraline 2mg
  • 8:20 PM: Groceries
  • 9:00 PM: Got home
  • 9:30 PM: Sleep

Nov. 22nd

• 1:30 AM: Woke up, went back to sleep
  • 5:00 AM: Woke up, went back to sleep
  • 8:30 AM: Got up.

• Administrator

That's a pretty good symptom pattern! Please give 2mg more time, your nervous system may take a while to settle down.

Please consider whether your low mood comes from worry about your condition rather than the condition itself. If so, you can manage that low mood. Learning how to do this will serve you well in the long run. See

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Deep emotional pain and crying spells, spontaneous weeping

Health anxiety, hypochondria, and obsession with symptoms

Dealing With Emotional Spirals

You might put that computer screen on a timer to turn it off earlier in the evening, even when your eyes are closed, you can sense light.

Am I to keep updosing until I climb all the way up to something like 10mg or 25mg? My first CT was from my 100mg dose back in late 2017

On 11/17/2018 at 3:25 PM, Jansin said:

I haven't undergone any sort of physical symptoms it's all brain fog, confusion and loss of creativity and happiness.

Hi John,

I think it's totally possible everything you describe is withdrawal - my biggest problem last summer (and today, although much less so) was very difficult to THINK - couldn't focus, concentrate, remember, couldn't think of words and really hard to write. mood problems, as well, but didn't really have the physical symptoms others describe. everybody is different! 

the main thing is, you CAN and you are healing, it just takes a lot of time. I wish you well! 

Currently taking Ramapril (blood pressure) 5 mg twice a day

Omeprazole 10 mg AM and 20 mg PM  (the taper has gone nowhere after the first cut)

Famotidine   once a day (and I still needs tums sometimes)

magnesium 200 mg at night

as of yesterday 2 fish oil capsules "EPA-DHA 1000"

off Lexapro as of 5/2018  - last dose had been 5 mg every other day for a couple years

highest dose had been 20 mg at which point I was diagnosed with Bipolar II, which went away when I cut the lexapro down to 15 mg. 

I spent years on Paxil before Lexapro (can't remember dose), briefly on Effexor and Abilify and others I have forgotten. in fact, when I was diagnoses with BPII I was put on all kinds of things which made me feel so bad I stopped them cold turkey within maybe 3 or 4 weeks, thank goodness. since then I've known these pills were terrible and I weaned down the Lexapro with zero help or support over I'm not sure how many years.