Earthworm: stuck in dirt

Earthworm

*moved from symptoms forum

Anyone try Brintellix (vortioxetine)?

What has your experience been like?

Edited by Petunia
added note and topic title

-On SSRI since April 2006.
-December 2007: SSRI discontinuation and withdrawal start.
-February 2008: SSRI reinstatement... improvement, yet withdrawal symptoms remains to this day.
-Currently taking: 16mg Citalopram, 1mg Risperidone (for insomnia).
-Current issues: obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), social anxiety disorder (SAD), insomnia, exaggerated physical symptoms of anxiety, muscle fatigue, weight gain, high prolactin/low testosterone

• Moderator Emeritus

Brintellix is an antidepressant.

This is a site for going off drugs. It is not a site for finding out what drug to take next, comparing drug cocktails, or recommending what drug to add. This could be dangerous. People could be hurt by your advice.

(We do not know of any drugs or drug combination that will fix withdrawal syndrome. Reinstatement of the original drug, often at a low dose, sometimes helps and sometimes does not.)

If you want to discuss your diagnoses and talk about adding to your drug cocktail, there are other support sites for this...

See: What will get you warned or banned - Drug shopping or recommending drugs

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I wanna know if people here got WD symptoms from it or not.

-February 2008: SSRI reinstatement... improvement, yet withdrawal symptoms remains to this day.
-Current issues: obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), social anxiety disorder (SAD), insomnia, exaggerated physical symptoms of anxiety, muscle fatigue, weight gain, high prolactin/low testosterone

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

It looks like there are a couple of people here using it, see:

Tapering vortioxetine (Brintellix) - does anyone have any ...

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Earthworm,

I read your thread and I am sorry you are suffering so much.

You mention you did some stuff with music on internet. You got bored but at least you have capacity to enjoy things and complete tasks. There are many things you can do via internet to try to make money.

Our stories are different and I can't enjoy anything and I don't have any stability. Seems like you are bad but stable.

But you have to change something even if it means reducing dosage super super slowly.

I, myself would hate to feel even worse but I have to get off and give myself a chance med free.

Also, finding love could be a great motivator. I know 2 people whose new love enabled them to completely change everything and get off meds.

10/2012 - Lexapro 10mg

2013/2014 - Started experiencing visual disturbances, like visual processing was slow, feeling drunk all the time

9/2014 - Lexapro 5mg, didn't notice any withdrawal, drunk feeling went away

2015 - Drunk feeling came back

5/2015 - Lexapro 2.5mg - 1.25mg - insomnia started

6/2015 - Lexapro 0.625mg

7/2015 - Severe symptoms started, in desperation on advice of pdoc restarted 5mg Lexapro - total disaster

8/2015 - Lexapro 5mg, disoriented, sleepless zombie

9/2015 - Very reluctantly started transitioning to Zoloft

as of 10/10/2105 - no lexapro, 37.5mg Zoloft

12/14/2015 - 35mg zoloft, 1/16/2016 - 34mg

• Administrator

I think you can be absolutely sure adverse effects from Brintellix, including withdrawal syndrome, have been under-reported if not deliberately hidden.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Earthworm - that's some cat!  I can feel what the cat is feeling when I look at that picture.   :wacko:

I see you are still around - how are you going since you last posted symptoms?

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 1 year later...

Not much has been changing in my life. The first 4 years of withdrawal have been tough, primarily due to very strong 24/7 akathisia and strong OCD. The last 5 years though have been easier in that I can be at peace if I avoid triggers, and that means sitting at home all day and doing nothing. It's starting to bother me though, that my life isn't going anywhere. It's much better than being in severe hell of the initial 4 years, but I've been 5 years of stable but non-functional now. My social anxiety disorder is bad and the reason I'm confined to asocial life. The OCD is still strong enough to disable me from being able to work, and even doing tasks at home triggers it as well. Therapy has been useless in the years that I've done it, self-help therapy too, although I keep trying to attempt it.

My SAD and OCD and probably my insomnia too aren't gonna get better if I taper off the demon citalopram. My goal is to switch to another drug to replace it instead. My brain is so fried now I can't even imagine ever getting off this drug. I've tried several other drugs in the last few years, but they either don't do anything or make me sicker, and it takes months sometimes to fully recover from them. Nevertheless, I feel I have no choice, either waste my life living like this forever, or try new drugs. I'm hoping newer generations of drugs will be better, and that maybe one day I'll find one that works.

Hi Earthworm,

Have you thought about neurofeedback?

Maybe it could help you with OCD compulsions?

Have you thought about getting a packing job in a factory, something simple, until you figure out what you want to do or can do? Even a cleaning job at night where you don't need to deal with people a lot? Cleaning office, landscapinhg, etc?

Aged Care work, night shifts?

Maybe getting a job, could help you move forward in life.

Even studying on line?

I wish you all the best, sorry to hear that not much has changed in your life.

Don't give up hope. Take care, Hopefull.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Earthworm,

Have you thought about neurofeedback?

Maybe it could help you with OCD compulsions?

Have you thought about getting a packing job in a factory, something simple, until you figure out what you want to do or can do? Even a cleaning job at night where you don't need to deal with people a lot? Cleaning office, landscapinhg, etc?

Aged Care work, night shifts?

Maybe getting a job, could help you move forward in life.

Even studying on line?

I wish you all the best, sorry to hear that not much has changed in your life.

Don't give up hope. Take care, Hopefull.

I forgot what neurofeedback is. In order for me to do the jobs you've listed, I'd really need to have my OCD fixed. I can't even send out my own box or envelope without checking it and tearing it open to check again and again, that's really not gonna go well at a packing job. Cleaning starts perfectionistic obsessions too, I try to avoid cleaning and hate cleaning because of this... I keep my room very organized by always putting things back in their place in order to avoid cleaning. Looking after elderly would be a possibility if responsibilities wouldn't trigger OCD... obsessions will start about doing something wrong, someone dying, and me getting in lots of trouble. I searched online before for ideas of jobs that wouldn't trigger my OCD, but haven't found any.

The only idea I have so far is trying to learn to draw and paint by myself at home. In the past even this was not a good idea because of how much my OCD was triggered by this activity.

• 8 months later...

Hi earthworm. I remember reading your story when I first came to this site. How are you doing nowadays?

Aug-Dec 2015 Prozac 20mg / Dec 2015-Feb 2016 Prozac 15mg / Feb 2016-May2016 Prozac 20mg

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

June 2016-August 2016 10mg

October 2016-January 2017 15mg, alternating agitation/akathisia sets in --> cold turkey

January 2017 Clonazepam .5mg 

February 2017 Clonazepam 1mg (for a week) then .5mg morning and .25mg evening for about a month. Came down to .25mg morning and evening. 

May 1, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .125mg evening. // May 20, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .0625 evening (.3125 total).

early June .28125 // early mid june .25mg // mid june .21875 // late june .1875 // early july .15625 // early mid july .125 

mid july .09375mg // late july .0625 //early August 2017 down to .03125mg once a day, hopped off in mid August

reinstated at .0625mg late August // Oct 16 - updose to .07mg and switch to oral Rosemont solution

Nov 17 2017 reinstate Prozac .5mg // Nov 21 2017 prozac 1.6mg // Dec 18 2017  3mg prozac / fast taper off the reinstatement -- probably completely off early Oct 2018

June 2019 begin tapering off .07mg Clonazepam, Finish taper December 2019

• 1 year later...
On 10/30/2018 at 2:09 AM, Earthworm said:

I was one of the few people for who the SSRI actually worked as intended. Although it took 6 months for it to start working. It reduced my anxiety by 85% and completely took out all depression, sadness, and ability to cry. I couldn't be sad or cry even when I tried. It was a great drug. I do wish I could stay on it for life, just the inability to feel sad or cry is a great blessing to have, but it also took care of most of my anxiety disorder. Sadly the drugs effect wears out for me after about 2 or 3 years. The best part of my life was during the year that I the drug worked as intended. I didn't feel like a zombie at all, I felt completely normal, minus depression and sadness and most of the anxiety.

The withdrawal ended up ruining my life though. If not for the withdrawal it would have been great.

And don't tell me its placebo effect, I been on it for 12 years now, had several severe crashes in tapers, and know what it can and can't do for me by now.

How are you doing now Earthworm? Are withdrawals over for you? Are you off the meds? 

Originally at 100 mg Zoloft and 150 mg xl Wellbutrin for ten years. 

Abruptly dropped 50 mg of Zoloft April 2018.

Cut Wellbutrin in half (75 mg) for a month in December 2018.

Cold turkeyed Wellbutrin January 2019.

Reinstated Wellbutrin half of 150 xl (75 mg) in January 2019 and added Xanax.

ER visit iv of 5 mg Haloperidol.

Finished Xanax taper, cold turkeyed Wellbutrin February 2019 and added 10 mg buspar twice daily.

Tapering buspar

50 mg Zoloft at 10:00 am

2.5 mg buspar at 9:00 pm 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/29/2019 at 11:39 AM, Hannahe said:

How are you doing now Earthworm? Are withdrawals over for you? Are you off the meds? 

Withdrawal still going strong, and still on meds. It's been 11 years now of withdrawal, and it looks like it will stay this way for the rest of my life. The only thing that improved has been the akathisia, it kept going down over the years, and is not an issue anymore.

I was never able to stabilize on the drugs, although they did improve the withdrawal, so it was the right option for me to reinstate. Now I'll never be able to get off them.

My life isn't horrible though these days, as long as I stay at home all day and do nothing but waste time on PC. I actually feel almost normal doing that. It is however when I start doing things that the symptoms appear, and can be hellish. As long as I avoid triggers, my life is quite fine, which is already a great relief compared to my early years. However, I'll never be able to work, or have a relationship, or finish school, or have a normal social life. I am also concerned about the effects of long term drug use. It's messing with my hormones, and my prolactin is twice the maximum level. There are also risks of tardive dyskinesia and diabetes showing up later on... so the future looks grim.

• Mentor
2 hours ago, Earthworm said:

Withdrawal still going strong, and still on meds. It's been 11 years now of withdrawal, and it looks like it will stay this way for the rest of my life. The only thing that improved has been the akathisia, it kept going down over the years, and is not an issue anymore.

I was never able to stabilize on the drugs, although they did improve the withdrawal, so it was the right option for me to reinstate. Now I'll never be able to get off them.

My life isn't horrible though these days, as long as I stay at home all day and do nothing but waste time on PC. I actually feel almost normal doing that. It is however when I start doing things that the symptoms appear, and can be hellish. As long as I avoid triggers, my life is quite fine, which is already a great relief compared to my early years. However, I'll never be able to work, or have a relationship, or finish school, or have a normal social life. I am also concerned about the effects of long term drug use. It's messing with my hormones, and my prolactin is twice the maximum level. There are also risks of tardive dyskinesia and diabetes showing up later on... so the future looks grim.

Have you ever considered changing your diet? I was unable to come off AD's for 5-6 years and this time I have come off them. There are withdrawals... but I am holding my job down and still playing sports. Which I was completely unable to in previous attempts to come off. Nutrition is great medicine, it took me a long time to realize this.

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

5 hours ago, Cocopuffz17 said:

Have you ever considered changing your diet? I was unable to come off AD's for 5-6 years and this time I have come off them. There are withdrawals... but I am holding my job down and still playing sports. Which I was completely unable to in previous attempts to come off. Nutrition is great medicine, it took me a long time to realize this.

I tried diets years ago, even did a raw vegan diet for a month. I just try to eat healthy now, lots of fruits, vegetables, not a lot of fried food.

I don't plan to get off the drugs because I need them. If my insomnia would go away, I'd be able to taper risperdal, because I use that only for insomnia. The Celexa also helps a lot with my OCD, without it I can't survive. So I'm stuck on them.

• Mentor
6 hours ago, Earthworm said:

I tried diets years ago, even did a raw vegan diet for a month. I just try to eat healthy now, lots of fruits, vegetables, not a lot of fried food.

I don't plan to get off the drugs because I need them. If my insomnia would go away, I'd be able to taper risperdal, because I use that only for insomnia. The Celexa also helps a lot with my OCD, without it I can't survive. So I'm stuck on them.

I felt the same way. I had insomnia for 15 years. I thought I’d never get rid of it. I changed my diet by following The Plant Paradox by Dr.Gundry. It changed my life, my insomnia all but faded away. I have been able to come off my AD with relatively small amounts of WD feelings that I was not able to in the past. By the sounds of it you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. All I did was become disciplined on the foods I put in my body.

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

21 hours ago, Earthworm said:

Earthworm, first off...that's wonderful news that the akathisia is fading! I know you struggled with it for such a long time. Not to minimize your ongoing concerns, but it must be a great relief to be free from it. To be able to sit comfortably.

Even with akathisia, I've also found that a "do nothing" prescription kinda helps. It's once I get riled up, start moving around a lot and then try to sit do I experience the worst akathisia. 

I know it must be hard to be so isolated. And I know you aren't so hopeful about this (which is okay) but I really think you might eventually find more fulfillment. And won't have to make the painful tradeoff between living life and minimizing symptoms. Hell, if your brain can bounce back from akathisia, there's a chance that overall WD will ease too. 

I'm sorry you're still struggling so much but glad to hear there are some improvements and that you are able to find a little peace. 

Aug-Dec 2015 Prozac 20mg / Dec 2015-Feb 2016 Prozac 15mg / Feb 2016-May2016 Prozac 20mg

May 2016-June 2016 15mg

June 2016-August 2016 10mg

October 2016-January 2017 15mg, alternating agitation/akathisia sets in --> cold turkey

January 2017 Clonazepam .5mg 

February 2017 Clonazepam 1mg (for a week) then .5mg morning and .25mg evening for about a month. Came down to .25mg morning and evening. 

May 1, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .125mg evening. // May 20, 2017 Clonazepam .25mg morning and .0625 evening (.3125 total).

early June .28125 // early mid june .25mg // mid june .21875 // late june .1875 // early july .15625 // early mid july .125 

mid july .09375mg // late july .0625 //early August 2017 down to .03125mg once a day, hopped off in mid August

reinstated at .0625mg late August // Oct 16 - updose to .07mg and switch to oral Rosemont solution

Nov 17 2017 reinstate Prozac .5mg // Nov 21 2017 prozac 1.6mg // Dec 18 2017  3mg prozac / fast taper off the reinstatement -- probably completely off early Oct 2018

June 2019 begin tapering off .07mg Clonazepam, Finish taper December 2019