Hopefulpatti: still suffering from Paxil withdrawals

Hopefulpatti

Hi there,

I was on Paxil for less than two years this time around. I started taking antidepressants again when I became paralyzed from

falling down the stairs.  I suffered with serotonin syndrome symptoms for over a year. I was also taking another medication

that is known to interact with Paxil. The doctor did not help me in this matter. He did not know what was wrong with me.

I finally found another doctor and began tapering off the paxil slowly like I had done in the past . I was on Paxil two other

times in my life and had been on it longer than this time around. I never had any issues tapering, but I also never had serotonin

syndrome symptoms before either.

The first week of tapering I started having withdrawal symptoms and they never went away. My whole life has been put on hold.

I can't function. I can't understand what people are saying because I can't focus. My head and vision are distorted. I am very tired

all the time.

Can't get myself to do anything or go anywhere. I also have headaches, night terrors, and GI symptoms. My  food just sits in my

stomach after I eat now and nothing moves. The only symptoms that did go away were these quick wooshes in my brain and

sometimes my brain felt like it was short circuiting. 

3 doctors i spoke to all said the same thing that I need to go back on antidepressants to get rid of these symptoms. My doctor

gave me an order for Wellbutrin. I didn't know if Wellbutrin would work since it doesn't work on the same receptors so I did some

more digging online. 

I read that you have to go back on the same/similiar antidepressant for reinstatement to work. Then I read on here, that reinstatement

doesn't always work and you have to do it immediatley for your chances of effectiveness to be good. I immediately panicked and took

a low dose of my Paxil. I have been on Paxil 10mg for 4 days now and I can't tell if it is helping at all. (I used to be on Paxil 20mg)

I still feel out of it.  I notice when I eat my symptoms get way worse. Especially when I eat carbs. Maybe because it releases serotonin?

So, I try to avoid foods that trigger like carbs and triptophan releasing foods. I can't stop taking another medication that also secretes

serotonin. It isn't an anitidepressant, but I have to take it throughout the day. Could this be making my withdrawals symptoms worse?

think so. I know it was interacting with my Paxil making my serotonin syndrome symptoms worse.

This drug ,alone, is known to cause serotonin syndrome in some people so it just makes sense to me that this would make my withdrawal

symptoms worse and I don't think there is anything I can do about it because I can't stop taking it. Or is there?  Pain

I read here that I need to be patient for reinstatement to work and it could vary in the length it takes to work. Thank you for those answers.

How long have withdrawals been known to last without reinstatement?  This is so scary. It has been nearly impossible to live like this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance. 

Hopefulpatti

Edited by ChessieCat
changed from italics

I started Paxil 20mg in 2015. Oxycodone 15 mg since 2014 - 2018.

Increase Paxil to 40mg for 3 days, then had to go back to 20mg. 

Weaned off Paxil 20mg July 2018 ( weaned slowly over a month and 1/2

then , reinstated Paxil 10mg for a couple of weeks, then 20mg

starting Oct. 2018. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Hopefulpatti: Still suffering from Paxil withdrawals
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi HopefulPatti and welcome to SA,

To get you started:  We ask all members to create a drug signature.  Please include the other drug you are taking.  This will appear below each of your posts and makes it easy for us to see your drug history at a glance.  Please update it whenever you make a change.  Please make it nice simple by following these instructions (NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you):

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Please put all the drugs you are currently taking in the Drug Interactions Checker and copy and paste the results or the link to the results here in your Intro topic as a regular post.  Thank you.

This is your own Introductions topic where you can ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.

Edited by ChessieCat
Added request to do drug interaction check

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Welcome, Hopeful.

If your symptoms have gotten worse after 4 days on 10mg Paxil, if I were you, I'd reduce to 5mg right away.

Which symptoms got worse?

What were your symptoms of serotonin syndrome? What combination of drugs were you taking then?

20 hours ago, Hopefulpatti said:

I can't stop taking another medication that also secretes

serotonin. It isn't an anitidepressant, but I have to take it throughout the day.

What is this other drug?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 8 months later...
On 10/24/2018 at 5:51 AM, Hopefulpatti said:

Drug interactions from drug checker: 

Interactions between your drugs

Moderate

oxyCODONE  PARoxetine

Applies to: oxycodone, Paxil (paroxetine)

Using oxyCODONE together with PARoxetine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucinations, seizures, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, feverexcessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nauseavomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms during treatment. In addition, combining these medications may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Edited by Carmie
Removed long duplicate quotes

starting Oct. 2018. 

On 10/24/2018 at 12:50 PM, Altostrata said:

Welcome, Hopeful.

If your symptoms have gotten worse after 4 days on 10mg Paxil, if I were you, I'd reduce to 5mg right away.

Which symptoms got worse?

What were your symptoms of serotonin syndrome? What combination of drugs were you taking then?

What is this other drug?

My symptoms didn't change after 4 days on Paxil 10mg. The other drug was called oxycodone. I have been trying and trying to get back on this forum. My life has been turned upside down and no doctor I have seen can help me. I am trying to remain hopeful , but  a lot of times I feel like I am hanging on by a thread. 

starting Oct. 2018. 

• Administrator

What drugs are you taking now, at what times of day, and what dosages? What are your major symptoms and what times of day do they occur?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• ChessieCat changed the title to Hopefulpatti: still suffering from Paxil withdrawals
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2019 at 10:24 PM, Altostrata said:

What drugs are you taking now, at what times of day, and what dosages? What are your major symptoms and what times of day do they occur?

Hi Altostrata, 

Thank you so much for your reply! :) I have never written on any forums before so I hope I am doing this right. I used the quote to reply.

I am on pretty much same drugs. regular Paxil 20mg at 9pm every night. Oxycodone 10mg during the day as needed and oxycontin 20mg

at 9am and in the evening . As far as my serotonin syndrome symptoms. They come and go throughout the day. They show up when my pain

meds peak and get better after pain meds start wearing off. They are worse in the evening, after I have been taking pain meds all day.

SX: tachycardia, extreme agitation, sometimes anxiety instead, chest pressure/pain. It feels like I am going to explode! It even happens now

when I eat food for the first hour, then I get slammed with horrible Paxil withdrawal symptoms for 3 hours after I eat when the other thing stops.

My serotonin receptors seem highly sensitized to food. I can only eat one meal a day now because it knocks me out. I can't open my eyes, can't

understand what people are saying, vision is distorted,  short term memory loss, stomach feels extremely bloated after I eat and I have alot of gas

in my stomach. I get headaches, extreme fatigue ect.. 

Acute episodes of serotonin syndrome happen for a couple weeks out of a month, but when I start my period things take a turn for the worse.

Please see below:

When I start my menstrual period (sometimes on exact day and sometimes right after I stop period) I have two days of extreme fatigue. Can only sleep

during these two days, but then I get slammed with full blown withdrawals symptoms again. (not just when I eat). These are 24/7 full blown for at least

1-2 weeks after period. 

I used to be on Paxil 20 mg off an on in the past since I was 19 and I noticed everytime I would drink alcohol or start my period, the Paxil would leave my 

body. Then for the next 1-2 weeks I would have all the symptoms of re-introducing the drug back into my system. I could always tell the drug wasn't working

also because my mood and anxiety came back just as I never was on it. These are specific symptoms that I only experienced when starting the drug for the first time.

Examples, excessive yawning , brain fog, tiredness, ect.. I am sure you know what I am talking about when you feel icky for the first 2-4 weeks at least when you 

start a new antidepressant.

So, I have been trying to figure out how to stabilize on my Paxil if I can't keep a regulated dose in my system due to my hormonal changes every month. I know that

its not going to fix my food problem, but if I can just try to fix the hormonal issue from wiping out my med every month, I can tolerate this way way better. I know when

your estrogen gets low so can your serotonin in people with PMS and that is me. I have seen gynocologist and my primary doctor on this matter and they are telling me

different things. 

My gynoclogist wanted me on low estrogen and low progesterone birth control, but I did my research and it says in most people the pill lowers your overall estrogen, which

in my mind will make my withdrawal symtoms worse. So, I never took it. My family doctor wanted me to be on progesterone IUD but when I read the effects of that one,

(which I am still researching) I don't think that will help me. But, I am still considering it. So, I just started eating estrogen releasing foods lately to see if I can help it naturally.

But, I havent been doing it for long so I don't know if it is helping yet. 

Also, sometimes I never regulate fully after my period and I have withdrawals all month, but not as extreme. I also notice my symptoms of withdrawals are sometimes worse

a couple/few hours before my next paxil dose is due at night. 

My mother has antidepressant discontinuation symdrome also, but she doesn't have it no were near like I do. Thank God. Maybe because I had serotonin symdrome for over a year before I tried to wean slowly off drug?? IDK. 

My head is starting again right now so I can't concentrate on what I am writing anymore. I hope this is good information for now.

Thank you soooooooo much for taking the time to care. :) 

Best regards,

Hopefulpatti

starting Oct. 2018. 

• Administrator

You're not going to be able to stabilize on a drug-drug combination that causes adverse reactions.

4 hours ago, Hopefulpatti said:

As far as my serotonin syndrome symptoms. They come and go throughout the day. They show up when my pain

meds peak and get better after pain meds start wearing off. They are worse in the evening, after I have been taking pain meds all day.

SX: tachycardia, extreme agitation, sometimes anxiety instead, chest pressure/pain. It feels like I am going to explode! It even happens now

when I eat food for the first hour, then I get slammed with horrible Paxil withdrawal symptoms for 3 hours after I eat when the other thing stops.

Whatever you call it, you've answered your own questions. You are having uncomfortable and possibly dangerous symptoms from drug-drug interactions.

There's no magic to this. One or the other or both drugs have to go. If you cannot taper oxycodone, you'd have to reduce Paxil. See Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

Please discuss this with your doctors, because to continue on your drug regimen with the symptoms you have now is ridiculous. You shouldn't have had to bring it to an online peer support forum. We do not address tapering opiates.